Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Another thing to do if you have no dependents/partner is to submit a form to the pension scheme giving your wishes in the event of your demise

My pal whose dad we buried 18 months ago just got contacted about his pension that he didnt know about, payout with his sister was about 30 grand between them I think. Sad cos his dad died lamenting not having much to pass down. Sadder still for me cos we're locked down so I can't tell him the drinks are on him and his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

hemale in pain posted:

Can you sleep in the caravans?

You could but they had to be let out for a % of time. It was a long time ago now - 20+ years - so I can't remember the details only the loss. The income was nice but essentially the purchase was money down the toilet. I was young and on a big salary.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Can you sleep with the caravans?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i lived in my own caravan for a year. had to put in a concrete path for the postman. Probably why I like rain so much.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There is a thing to look up contact details for pension schemes based on who your employer was if you think you might have old pension pots you've lost track of https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The form to tell pension providers (work pensions or SIPP) what you want to happen in the event of your demise is called a

"Death Benefit Nomination Form"

As I said - they don't HAVE to follow your wishes but they will take them into consideration.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

rename thread pension advice chat

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I caravan’t believe it

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I need to get all my various pension pots put into a sipp. My #2 pension keeps oscillating, I put £10k into the fucker (over 4 years), then it doubled in a year, then it lost a third, then it doubled, then it halved, then it doubled, last time I looked it was about £25k. This is with scottish widows, not some financial gambling spiv.

I think I have about 12 various workplace pensions most of which I cant remember the details of, is there are way to combine them into a SIPP? I fancy shorting Tesla, that price is a bubble.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Death holds no pity for Britain.

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

NotJustANumber99 posted:

rename thread pension advice chat

pension & wellies advice chat

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I dread to think how little is in my pension

but I take solace that retirement age will likely be scrapped in the next 20 years so I'll get to work til I die anyway

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
goonancial advisor should i consolidate my pensions

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Collateral posted:

I need to get all my various pension pots put into a sipp. My #2 pension keeps oscillating, I put £10k into the fucker (over 4 years), then it doubled in a year, then it lost a third, then it doubled, then it halved, then it doubled, last time I looked it was about £25k. This is with scottish widows, not some financial gambling spiv.

I think I have about 12 various workplace pensions most of which I cant remember the details of, is there are way to combine them into a SIPP? I fancy shorting Tesla, that price is a bubble.

Yes, you can set up a tax-free SIPP, then instruct all your various workplace pensions to transfer into it. This is MUCH better than having 12 mediocre pension providers doing a not-very-good job of managing your money, AND creaming off 12 separate fees on top of it.

Now, you will have to manage your own investments, which honestly isn't that hard. Most of my pension is in passive index trackers and a couple of active funds that have consistently performed really well. Aim for long-term investments, don't be continually fiddling around with your money, buying and selling on gut feeling and stay away from clever, complicated stuff that's supposed to bring you quick returns, but won't. (i.e. short selling, currency speculation, loving bitcoin etc etc.)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
On pension providers specifically, they're often bizarrely bad at providing decent (or often, any) returns on the money you entrust them with. Since the FTSE was set up, it's grown at an average of just over 8% a year, which you'd think would make for a pretty easy life if you're the sort of person who manages other people's money: just bung it all in the FTSE, then head off to the pub: job done. I mean, that's what I'd do.

Instead, they feel that they have to intervene and they think up all these investment strategies that seem very clever when they're explained but generally fail to outperform the stock market and quite often even lose money. Then they charge you a substantial fee for their work, which reduces your returns even further. If you have multiple pensions, then you've got a whole bunch of guys mucking around with your money, which is even worse.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i dont have to worry about any of that because im too poor lol!!!!!

if you guys buy any weightlifting/fitness stuff highly recommend strength shop and not fitness superstore. Fitness superstore use some real poo poo courier who took a week to deliver my stuff and the poor delivery driver was obviously stressed to hell and almost forgot half my order.

tho they're out of stock of everything so this is probably useless advice.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ima open one called beefcake boutique ;-*

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Waiting on the results of a tenancy credit and reference check - we got incredibly lucky to get first dibs on a perfect place, but I'm a full-time student and my wife's temporary contract at work just ended. We've got plenty of money in savings (plus my student loan and NHS bursary) so it should be fine, but I know being a student isn't ideal for this. If we don't get it we're in trouble, because the lease at our current place runs out soon and 2 bed places in our budget in this area are like gold dust. gently caress I hate this poo poo every time we need to find a new place to rent, but buying is completely unrealistic for us for a few more years at least. :sigh:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Fitness superstore use some real poo poo courier

I didn't realise you could get fitness stuff delivered by deliveroo

yeah, i went there

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

lol honestly if you think about it deliveroo are great. people expect their stuff delivered like 30 minutes after they order and they expect their stupid soup orders and coffees not to be leaky as poo poo :argh:

as far as i can tell deliveroo (usually) provide credit or refunds for missing items and spilt orders.

for awhile you could get an instant refund by just marking the food as uncooked :suicide: thanks students for doing that CONSTANTLY and getting it removed

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bardeh posted:

We've got plenty of money in savings (plus my student loan and NHS bursary) so it should be fine,
just tell them you will pay with loving claps

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

just tell them you will pay with loving claps

I'm training to be a Podiatrist, I don't know if we're clap-eligible

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bardeh posted:

that's something to do with podcasts right

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Bardeh posted:

people can clap u with their feet

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

sole music

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lost my balance and fell on a piece of upright steel rebar. Pierced straight through the unprotected side of my welly but somehow missed my foot.

Anyway just collected pair number 4 safety wellies. None in stock locally, an hour plus round trip.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

welly insurance

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

my new trainers arrive today i hope they are not poo poo

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
im having some fun with my 3d anatomy program

he looks very pleased with himself

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

On pension providers specifically, they're often bizarrely bad at providing decent (or often, any) returns on the money you entrust them with. Since the FTSE was set up, it's grown at an average of just over 8% a year, which you'd think would make for a pretty easy life if you're the sort of person who manages other people's money: just bung it all in the FTSE, then head off to the pub: job done. I mean, that's what I'd do.

Instead, they feel that they have to intervene and they think up all these investment strategies that seem very clever when they're explained but generally fail to outperform the stock market and quite often even lose money. Then they charge you a substantial fee for their work, which reduces your returns even further. If you have multiple pensions, then you've got a whole bunch of guys mucking around with your money, which is even worse.

I was joking about Tesla. The first problem with the ftse is that it's constituent membership changes all the time. I remember some stocks gameshow back in the 80's that I played along with. I invested all my £10k into polypec and bcci. :v:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The second problem is the makeup of bankers and financiers. You know the class i am taking about. Actual ability is secondary to which school you went to and who your chums are.

My first act as nuKing of gb would be to ban the privately educated from governmental or financial positions.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i am convinced if you introduced ubi for rich people it would cost the taxpayer less letting them be idle than it would bailing out their idiot schemes every ten minutes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

my new trainers arrive today i hope they are not poo poo
holy poo poo they left them outside the front door in the rain for an hour before emailing me

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bardeh posted:

im having some fun with my 3d anatomy program

he looks very pleased with himself

:eyepop: 🍆

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Collateral posted:

My first act as nuKing of gb would be nuKing gb

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Oh and they can't have eff all to do with government contracts. Looking at you Dido (wtf) Harding. Was it £1bn per metre of ox hide for that test and trace bonanza?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i am convinced if you introduced ubi for rich people it would cost the taxpayer less letting them be idle than it would bailing out their idiot schemes every ten minutes

Just put them all in a simulator where they get to shout at a vr secretary in the morning and gently caress her in the afternoon, it would save millions

Maybe make their car in the simulation the best one in the car park for their grade, then level up every 2 years

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Obligatory "it's snowing!" post.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

holy poo poo they left them outside the front door in the rain for an hour before emailing me

Sounds like they weren’t there and you just got a second pair op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

make the dog wear both pairs