Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I forget how early our fall is compared to places further south. Our shorebird numbers peak in mid-August and fall off rapidly by the end of September. Trumpeter (and some Tundra) Swans showed up early this fall and are already almost at their peak numbers. The last of our winter duck species should be showing up in numbers any day now. Neotropic migrants are but a distant memory.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Winter Finches are making their way south too. We've had Pine Siskins for a few weeks now. I don't think we'll get big numbers of crossbills or evening grosbeaks out here but I'd love it if we did!

My anecdotal data (namely high Pine Siskin numbers since late summer) is telling me we'll see a irruption of Redpolls this winter on the west coast, although I doubt any will make it to California. We've already seen higher numbers of Red Crossbills and even some reports of White-Winged Crossbills in Seattle too, so it may be a great year.

fridgraidr posted:

Migration is on in the salt marsh!

Where are you located? Gulf coat I'm assuming? I'd consider cutting off one of my toes with a butter knife for a few days alone to just bird around Texas and Louisiana right now.

Edit: Seconding what BetterLekNextTime said regarding photos.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I forget how early our fall is compared to places further south. Our shorebird numbers peak in mid-August and fall off rapidly by the end of September. Trumpeter (and some Tundra) Swans showed up early this fall and are already almost at their peak numbers. The last of our winter duck species should be showing up in numbers any day now. Neotropic migrants are but a distant memory.

Where are you located?

I’m in SC and spend about 40-60 hours a week in and around lowcountry salt marsh estuaries. It’s a birder’s dream.

Today I spent a few minutes chasing some seaside and salt marsh sparrows!

fridgraidr fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 5, 2020

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

My current dilemma is whether to chase a rarity across state lines. There’s been a very cooperative Common Cuckoo an hour away in Rhode Island. Since RI is on our state’s mandatory quarantine list, this would prevent me from going onsite to work until I got two negative COVID tests.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

EPICAC posted:

My current dilemma is whether to chase a rarity across state lines. There’s been a very cooperative Common Cuckoo an hour away in Rhode Island. Since RI is on our state’s mandatory quarantine list, this would prevent me from going onsite to work until I got two negative COVID tests.

Dang, that's a tough one. It's not only a rare bird here but it's a really cool rare bird. My mental calculus would be different than if it was a weird Stint or something. I'm not a huge vagrant chaser but I kind of regret not going to see the cuckoo (forget if it was common or some other one) that showed up on the central coast 15 years ago or so.

Anyone thinking about Christmas Bird Counts yet? At least so far our local ones are on but we're probably going to have to sign a covid waiver to participate. But we're not spiking here so I'm guessing some places will not have them or have them in a limited way.

Does anyone have a good solution for not fogging up their glasses when wearing a mask? So far I've almost entirely been birding by myself this year so I've been able to take off my mask when in the park.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/gunsnrosesgirl3/status/1292354617674801152

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i saw an eagle today in central texas streaking through the air at about 35ft up around dusk. it was so powerful i could hear each individual flap

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I spotted one of the city peregrines while driving into work yesterday. It reminded me that it's just about to be nesting season for a lot of raptors! Any cams that you guys love to watch?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's winter so that means I get to see all the birds that come down here to Florida for wintering.

Like this black and white warbler.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

I spotted one of the city peregrines while driving into work yesterday. It reminded me that it's just about to be nesting season for a lot of raptors! Any cams that you guys love to watch?

There's a few good ones out there, but this one is my fave! Sometimes I put it on just for the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtoxxHADnGk

Good variety of stuff here:
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/all-cams/

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

my cat is norris posted:

UMass Amherst has peregrines on their library roof, so I usually watch that.

I just bring my camera on errands now because they're everywhere.

Sometimes, there are no raptors.
Sometimes, they are too high:

And sometimes, you get lucky:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Burbo posted:

It's winter so that means I get to see all the birds that come down here to Florida for wintering.

Like this black and white warbler.

Awesome bird.

Tanith posted:

And sometimes, you get lucky:

Wow! what was it eating?

We've got a couple of pretty good local cams around here, the Cal Peregrine cam and an Osprey cam in Richmond. I think it's a little early for them to be going right now. Great Horned Owls might be nesting already, but yeah, otherwise check for feeder cams or tropical sites.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Wow! what was it eating?

European starling. From the feathers on the ground, I originally thought it had killed a downy or hairy woodpecker, but you can see the yellow beak at the bottom of the corpse.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think it's a little early for them to be going right now. Great Horned Owls might be nesting already, but yeah, otherwise check for feeder cams or tropical sites.

Yeah! It's a bit early, but some of the known pairs here in Pittsburgh are starting up their nesting behaviors. The Hays pair of bald eagles is hanging out in their nest tree quite a lot and otherwise being very lovey with each other. Not sure on the falcons but I imagine they've got to be in a similar mode.

I looooooooove those feeder cams from far away places!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Here’s some fellows I saw today

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/FalseKnees/status/1336364339733934083

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

El Burbo posted:

They are adorable and most excellent.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Burbo posted:

:3: those are some floofy birds.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

At first only one was hanging out, but then they got divebombed by the other. I thought they would fight but I guess that's just how they say hello

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/leedsbirder/status/1348227334525095936

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
:911::911:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Back again this morning, too.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Good freedom birds

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmfUxI5cres

We workin' on that nest, yes we are!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Super laggy for me, but there is a 2 egg cam below it in my suggestions that's awesome. Except they keep moving the camera around.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

Super laggy for me, but there is a 2 egg cam below it in my suggestions that's awesome. Except they keep moving the camera around.

loving watching this right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knforhbo2AY

e: yeah I do wish they'd quit moving the camera around so much

Enfys fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 15, 2021

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

As someone not living in the US, watching backyard birds from Ohio is pretty neat, very different to my own backyard bird buds :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGUTs_HgcE

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/JocAPhotography/status/1350120387527499776?s=19

Very pretty bird

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmoBurd/status/876984351065481216

A very graceful bird

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Saw a western bluebird today. I took a crappy picture of it. Somehow my new phone has a way worse camera than my old one. The female was nearby. They were both hunting bugs or something in a mushy wet area.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

El Burbo posted:

Good freedom birds

Vancouver is really close to the US border. About a decade ago, they built a huge new landfill site near-ish to the border crossing. This giant concentration of garbage caused a population explosion of rats. This in turn caused a population explosion of bald eagles eating the garbage rats.

I've had at least a few instances of Americans getting really excited because they saw a bald eagle as they were crossing the border, where I didn't have the heart to explain to them why.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Vancouver is really close to the US border. About a decade ago, they built a huge new landfill site near-ish to the border crossing. This giant concentration of garbage caused a population explosion of rats. This in turn caused a population explosion of bald eagles eating the garbage rats.

I've had at least a few instances of Americans getting really excited because they saw a bald eagle as they were crossing the border, where I didn't have the heart to explain to them why.

Can confirm. There are so many Bald Eagles around that landfill. Seeing eagles in a flock is always impressive though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bald Eagles are dirty trash birds. Beautiful, powerful, majestic dirty trash birds. A true symbol of America.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

My partner joined a facebook group that shares a lot of bird pics taken from birdfeeder cameras and she loves seeing all the bird pics. With Valentine's Day coming up, I thought that would be a perfect gift. Anyone have recommendations for a camera (birdfeeder attached or not) that I could put next to the birdfeeder? Ideally, it would integrate with our Nest devices.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

My partner joined a facebook group that shares a lot of bird pics taken from birdfeeder cameras and she loves seeing all the bird pics. With Valentine's Day coming up, I thought that would be a perfect gift. Anyone have recommendations for a camera (birdfeeder attached or not) that I could put next to the birdfeeder? Ideally, it would integrate with our Nest devices.

How do you want to power it? Solar? Wall wart? POE? How protected from the elements will the ideal mounting location be? (I am similarly curious about it, we have easy gfci protected mains voltage close enough to run a cord to our feeder(s).)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

H110Hawk posted:

How do you want to power it? Solar? Wall wart? POE? How protected from the elements will the ideal mounting location be? (I am similarly curious about it, we have easy gfci protected mains voltage close enough to run a cord to our feeder(s).)
Rechargeable battery would be ideal. Too much tree cover for solar. Decently protected by trees, but still outside and exposed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finger Prince posted:

Bald Eagles are dirty trash birds. Beautiful, powerful, majestic dirty trash birds. A true symbol of America.

It is astonishingly fitting.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
https://twitter.com/VenusNabs/status/1355006331627954176

It is now snowing 1-3" per hour here so snow bird brought the snow.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Hello all, I'm new to birding. I have a cheap pair of binoculars that is good enough for now, and some feeders in my yard. I've got Merlin and eBird, and am learning lots. I'm mostly in it to observe and grow closer to the neighborhood corvids. The crows are awesome but I also have at least 5 jays that are regulars to my feeders. This is exciting.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love corvids because they always let me know when there's some sort of cool raptor around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A heads up for everyone to save a little time for birding next weekend. The Great Backyard Bird Count runs Feb 12-15. It's an easy citizen science project to get involved with to help monitor late winter bird populations. Does not have to be literally in your backyard, just wherever you have a few minutes to look for birds.