Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's Winter 2021, not Fall 2020. Shoot the poo poo here instead of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I finished R.E.B.E.L.s in the fall and it's likely to be spring before I reach the Nu52 version...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just recently read the Wolverine collection The Return of Weapon X. Man that guy just can't get a break.

But it did remind me of something I hate about Wolverine. At one point Wolverine dies, and is met in heaven by and/or hallucinates Jean Grey. That unrequited love of Jean Grey part of his character absolutely sucks rear end. Wolverine at this point is supposed to respect and trust if not exactly get along with Scott, and Jean is dead, but still he just can't get over her, the one woman he wanted to gently caress but didn't get to. It's made even worse by the fact that the collection highlights that Wolverine has actually had mutual romantic relationships with women before. He was loving married! But when he dies he doesn't meet his wife, it's Jean Grey.

It's terrible and makes Wolverine look like a lovely guy in a way that I don't think the authors intend.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I apparently bough the Harley Quinn/Betty & Veronica crossover at some point, and decided to take a look at it and... the letterer is doing something that makes sense but is really jarring. Most speech is in all caps as per usual, but they're going to regular upper-and-lower case to represent whispers and... it weirds me out. I think it would bug me less if it was ALL lower case. And I don't think I've ever seen this done before.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I apparently bough the Harley Quinn/Betty & Veronica crossover at some point, and decided to take a look at it and... the letterer is doing something that makes sense but is really jarring. Most speech is in all caps as per usual, but they're going to regular upper-and-lower case to represent whispers and... it weirds me out. I think it would bug me less if it was ALL lower case. And I don't think I've ever seen this done before.

I've seen it used before, typically with the mixed case text a bit smaller. Not very common, though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

How’s the actual story. I only know of it because it was all I could find for Dini to sign at my local shop. Bless sketch covers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It seems... fine... I only managed about one issue so far because that lettering quirk plus the clash of having just watched the Kaley Cuoco Harley show made it a little hard to reconcile. The latter is especially notable because Dini and Andreyko have a very specific TAS voice for these characters, and it's very odd seeing that when my brain wants Lake Bell's Ivy, and I also can't get the show's jokes in the college episode out of my mind when the big hook of the mini is apparently 2 16 year old girls in Halloween costumes being indistinguishable from 2 grown women in their mid 30s.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
Incidental mixed case lettering used to be a lot more common, especially with hand-lettering. Tom Orzechowski used it frequently in Uncanny X-Men, both for whispers and vocalized pauses (oh, uh, um, etc.). Archie was a pretty artistically conservative publisher until fairly recently. It was the last publisher to move to digital lettering, and the same old-school look is still used across their publishing line. If the book's letterer (the great Deron Bennet) didn't do that stuff on his own, the Archie editors likely requested it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Si Spurrier's recent comics do it too. The Spire, Coda, and Alienated.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Issue 2 and I don't know why I was surprised when Mr Lodge announced the entertainment for his gala: It's Zatanna

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1349553898172928002?s=21

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm glad to report that the Batman Beyond opening still totally whips.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent posted:

I'm glad to report that the Batman Beyond opening still totally whips.

Is it on HBOMax yet?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Jack Kirby killed four nazis? :patriot: That's a better day's work than I've ever put in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

Jack Kirby killed four nazis? :patriot: That's a better day's work than I've ever put in.

He hated Nazis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Him and Christopher Lee, doin' God's work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Is it on HBOMax yet?

Yes, it and B:TAS are now on HBO Max.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, it and B:TAS are now on HBO Max.

Awesome, I knew about B:TAS but last I checked Superman and JL/JLU weren't on there yet, so I didn't know about Beyond.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also added the Green Lantern CG animated series which is better than it looks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Happy Hippo posted:

Hey, it doesn't say it was the same four nazis in every story.

He killed at least four.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of Jack Kirby, just started reading Destroyer Duck and man is this some absolutely vicious writing on his end, the infamous Cogburn page is just a taste of how savage it is

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

All roads lead to the four nazis Jack Kirby killed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, it doesn't say it was the same four nazis in every story.

He killed at least four.

Yeah, they're all different stories that just happen to all end with 4 dead Nazis.

Can you imagine being his wife and asking "so honey, how was your day?"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Didn’t he go on some dangerous scouting missions because he could draw maps?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, they're all different stories that just happen to all end with 4 dead Nazis.

Can you imagine being his wife and asking "so honey, how was your day?"

Roz was the inspiration for Big Barda, so I imagine her response was "Oh, only 4 this time? You'll do better nice time, hon"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Roz was the inspiration for Big Barda, so I imagine her response was "Oh, only 4 this time? You'll do better nice time, hon"

It's so weird Kirby wrote a book about a loving married couple based on his wife and Jim Steranko.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
In the last thread there was talk about Giffen/DeMatteis's Justice League collections and how they stopped. Wasn’t it because they decided they did not want to pay sexual predator Gerard Jones residentials? It’s also why they have removed almost all his work from its streaming services and comixology

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Did Kirby ever tell any of his Nazi killing stories in interviews or is it all just him telling friends and colleagues over cigars and whisky sort of thing? I’d love to hear them but I’m sure if he wanted them told in public he would’ve.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Did Kirby ever tell any of his Nazi killing stories in interviews or is it all just him telling friends and colleagues over cigars and whisky sort of thing? I’d love to hear them but I’m sure if he wanted them told in public he would’ve.

The quote I posted was from the guy who created Usagi Yojimbo, which Fantagraphics was publishing in the late 80s so this was happening toward the end of Kirby's life.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, I know who Stan Sakai is, that’s what I meant by friends/colleagues. I was just wondering if there’s anything that isn’t second hand. I also realize most vets will be reluctant to talk about that poo poo with anyone not a peer or whatever. I’m assuming if he was comfortable with anything specific being on the record it would’ve been released by now. Maybe Mark Evanier has tapes or something (it’s been a looooong time since I read his Kirby book but I think he eluded to some things).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Oh, I know who Stan Sakai is, that’s what I meant by friends/colleagues. I was just wondering if there’s anything that isn’t second hand. I also realize most vets will be reluctant to talk about that poo poo with anyone not a peer or whatever. I’m assuming if he was comfortable with anything specific being on the record it would’ve been released by now. Maybe Mark Evanier has tapes or something (it’s been a looooong time since I read his Kirby book but I think he eluded to some things).

I just meant Stan Sakai was hearing these stories when Kirby had age related mental problems.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, I got it, sorry. Day drinking is bad for reading comprehension. I was also under the impression that Kirby didn’t really have a serious cognitive decline til like his last two or three years (so early ‘90’s) and that he’d been telling the same stories up until the end (where your joke comes from). I didn’t know he was getting bad mentally that early.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bobkatt013 posted:

In the last thread there was talk about Giffen/DeMatteis's Justice League collections and how they stopped. Wasn’t it because they decided they did not want to pay sexual predator Gerard Jones residentials? It’s also why they have removed almost all his work from its streaming services and comixology

They stopped printing the hardcovers of their original attempt to collect the series in 2009 and stopped the TPBs in 2011, so that wouldn't be the reason.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

bobkatt013 posted:

Lord it feels awkward having gotten a copy of one of his books for Christmas this year(I had put it on my Amazon Christmas wishlist years ago before that whole mess happened and I had forgotten it was still on there, and my mom bought it as one of my presents this year)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also this came out last year

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Jones didn't start writing JLE until after the Giffen-DeMatteis run, so that's not it. They've just started collecting the comics and stopping a couple of volumes in multiple times now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I finished R.E.B.E.L.s in the fall and it's likely to be spring before I reach the Nu52 version...

The old REBELS? The newest REBELS has a surprise arc with multiple surprise reveals. When you get to it remember this post and post your reaction.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uthor posted:

They stopped printing the hardcovers of their original attempt to collect the series in 2009 and stopped the TPBs in 2011, so that wouldn't be the reason.

I know they announced Justice League: Breakdowns and then cancelled it around the time the arrest occurred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

The old REBELS? The newest REBELS has a surprise arc with multiple surprise reveals. When you get to it remember this post and post your reaction.

Speaking of which, I just finished Legion of Super-Heroes and Legionnaires putting me at 2000 in my Legion read through. Unfortunately, the cut off of those two long series is also the mid-point of another Legion series, Titans/Legion: Universe Ablaze, because there can't be anything straightforward about reading Legion of Super-Heroes.

It's weird that the series end where they started: the Earth being reduced to ruin by an invasion. Reboot Legion started strong but I feel like it fell into a rut around the time of the Mordru story arc and there were a lot of things that felt like they should develop into something that didn't. Legion's always had a problem with a huge cast and the last few years of the series never slowed down and focused on anything. Even two series weren't enough to let anything have room to breathe and there always seemed to be a struggle between trying to give each book a distinctive cast and trying to tell all encompassing stories.

After twelve publishing years of reading at least two, more often three and occasionally four, Legion series simultaneously, I'm looking forward to just having one book to read. At least once Titans/Legion is complete. I'm less than 50 issues away from threeboot and considering I'm roughly six hundred comics into my Legion read through, that's nothing.