Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like there will be an absurd number of unsigned FAs come ST this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kluber's career has been longer but if we're looking at his peak it's more of a "Let's put Brandon Webb in the hall" sort of argument unless he has a major career renaissance

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Kluber's peak was historically excellent but he'll wind up in the same cell as Santana and Lincecum.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Active pitchers right now with a legitimate Hall case:

Kershaw
Verlander
Scherzer
Grenkie
King Felix maybe? He's fallen off a cliff but his peak was insane.
deGrom got started late but back to back Cy's are a hell of a thing, I think he's 2-3 more excellent seasons off from having a solid case.

Am I missing anybody?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Felix retired

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Felix I'd say probably doesn't get in. deGrom needs to get another 4-6 seasons of elite production to get in. The rest are all shoe-ins IMO

e: comedy Bauer option

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Felix retired

No he didn't, he opted out of last season.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

Kershaw
Verlander
Scherzer
Grenkie
deGrom got started late but back to back Cy's are a hell of a thing, I think he's 2-3 more excellent seasons off from having a solid case.

Am I missing anybody?

Do you mean they would have a Hall case if they retired now, or are on a possible trajectory? If the latter, Gerrit Cole has a great shot and Stras and Sale need some good seasons in their 30s. Price is probably too old now.

When Hendricks strings together 10 straight 4 WAR seasons in his 30s he will be a shoe-in.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yeah Kersh/Max/Verlander/Greinke are all essentially locks now. Any of those 4 could announce there retirement today and likely get in.

deGrom is not yet a lock but well on track, he's where Kershaw was after like 2013, or maybe Scherzer after 2016 is a better comparison due to age: not quite enough under his belt yet but still in the midst of his peak and more likely to make it than to collapse and fall short.

Sale at 45 WAR and Hamels at 58 are interesting bubble cases. Sale is certainly young enough to get there with a strong second act to his career, while Hamels looks like he may be cooked and fall just short. David Price (39.7 WAR) is another guy who could force a conversation if he continues to pitch well another 5-7 years.

edit: Strasburg is like Sale in that he needs a productive 30's period to get there, but moreso because he's not quite had the peak that Sale did. Compare their Cy Young Shares (1.88 vs 0.65), Sale is #26 all time and second only to Wainwright among pitchers who've never won the award, while Strasburg is down near guys like Ryu, Porcello, Ramon Martinez, Joe Neikro, and Josh Beckett.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 13, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

When Hendricks strings together 10 straight 4 WAR seasons in his 30s he will be a shoe-in.

:hmmyes:

bawfuls posted:

Sale at 45 WAR and Hamels at 58 are interesting bubble cases. Sale is certainly young enough to get there with a strong second act to his career, while Hamels looks like he may be cooked and fall just short. David Price (39.7 WAR) is another guy who could force a conversation if he continues to pitch well another 5-7 years.

edit: Strasburg is like Sale in that he needs a productive 30's period to get there, but moreso because he's not quite had the peak that Sale did. Compare their Cy Young Shares (1.88 vs 0.65), Sale is #26 all time and second only to Wainwright among pitchers who've never won the award, while Strasburg is down near guys like Ryu, Porcello, Ramon Martinez, Joe Neikro, and Josh Beckett.

I think Hamels ultimately falls just short and ends up as a Hall of Really Good guy. Sale and Stras are both in their 30's and have struggled consistently with injury issues, I think it's unlikely either is able to able to remain productive enough to build a case.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

Kershaw
Verlander
Scherzer
Grenkie

Am I missing anybody?

Whoops missed it saying pitchers.

Ya that's the list imo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think Sale is more likely to make it than Stras. They are the same age and both have injury risk, but Sale has 45 WAR already, 6 consecutive years of top-5 Cy Young finishes, and a 140 careeer ERA+. Stras meanwhile has 33 WAR, 2 non-consecutive years of top-5 Cy Young finishes, and a 129 career ERA+.

Sale also has a 300 strikeout season and is currently the all-time career leader in K/BB ratio.

Sale is coming from a higher peak and needs less additional production to get there.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Chris Sale has an all-time record. It is one people probably don't really care that much about, and he might lose it as he ages. But point is, I think Sale is more likely than not to make it. But yeah, he needs some good years.

/\/\/\ drat you bawfuls! :argh:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Only 19 pitchers have achieved a 300 strikeout season. 14 of them are retired, 8 of those are already in the HoF and one of them is Schilling who's pitching is HoF-worthy.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I feel like Strasburg will outlast Sale, although really who knows

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

BALCO only happened because some tryhard down at the FBI got mad that Bonds broke the record and started looking through dumpsters.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

73.Corey Patterson

omg lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Petey epitomized the love/hate relationship with a bullpen arm, so long old friend.

https://twitter.com/jorgecastillo/status/1349492276729417729

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Petey epitomized the love/hate relationship with a bullpen arm, so long old friend.

https://twitter.com/jorgecastillo/status/1349492276729417729

baez is still on the mound in Texas preparing to throw his fifth pitch

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao showed the tweet to my Dodgers fan roommate and he immediately goes "I dont give a gently caress what his ERA was, Baez sucks thank God we didn't resign him."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I specifically remember Dodgers fans being filled with despair every time he came into the games in the playoffs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cross-posting from the Bay Area thread:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's a Yikes-a-reeno.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well bawfuls has his trump card against Spo now

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
That guy should be forced to sell the team and the Giants should lose all their dynasty points

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Well bawfuls has his trump card against Spo now
there are no good billionaires
:guillotine:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Charles B Johnson has repeatedly been a yikesaroonie and I wish they'd expel his rear end but he owns a poo poo ton of the team so it's difficult. Also this is one of the few pieces of common ground we have:

bawfuls posted:

there are no good billionaires
:guillotine:

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

bawfuls posted:

yeah Kersh/Max/Verlander/Greinke are all essentially locks now. Any of those 4 could announce there retirement today and likely get in.

deGrom is not yet a lock but well on track, he's where Kershaw was after like 2013, or maybe Scherzer after 2016 is a better comparison due to age: not quite enough under his belt yet but still in the midst of his peak and more likely to make it than to collapse and fall short.

Do you think the voters would give Price a harder time even if he finishes his career great due to his historically bad playoff performances?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

coronavirus posted:

Do you think the voters would give Price a harder time even if he finishes his career great due to his historically bad playoff performances?
I don't think there's any pitcher who's really had a rough postseason trackrecord held against them in HoF voting. Can you think of one in recent memory? Only the opposite seems to happen, guys with outstanding postseasons get elevated somewhat.

And Price somewhat killed that narrative for himself in 2018 anyway.

Far more important is a productive 5+ more years or so to get him to 60-ish WAR, which seems like a stretch. But if he really pulled that off, he'd also have further opportunities to pitch well in October over the same period.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 14, 2021

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1349802036880056320?s=20

Just what the Mets needed: a slugger who can't effectively play defense at any position. They certainly don't have enough of those.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Just what the Mets needed: a slugger who can't effectively play defense at any position. They certainly don't have enough of those.

For a max of 1.5 million and a 40-man spot, it's just a flyer/depth move. Maybe I'm just used to the Cubs doing that with every guy who "used to be pretty decent, right? Oh not since 2016"

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Strasburgs UCL posted:

The Indians needed literally all 3 of those holes filled and couldn’t even shell out a million five MAX for him. This off-season becomes more frustrating every day

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Crayestout/status/1349794613377294340

lol

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
We need somebody with a good reputation to act as the face for all the bad rule changes we're about to make!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GPTribefan posted:

The Indians needed literally all 3 of those holes filled and couldn’t even shell out a million five MAX for him. This off-season becomes more frustrating every day

They have Bobby Bradley who can't hit, Jake Bauers who can't hit or field, and Josh Naylor who seems okay. Problem solved.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies picked up Archie Bradley 1yr/6 mil. Good move bullpen needed someone

Would you rather have Liam Hendricks at whatever he just signed at or Brad Hand at 1/10

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Bradley and Alvarado are both solid pickups. I'd like to see them go after Hand or Colome as well.

And of course sign Realmuto and Gregorius Jesus Christ Phils get your poo poo together.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

pffffffffthahahahahaha

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love Archie Bradley !! Hooray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013