Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's been a while since we've had a big jackpot. I suspect we are about to get inundated with lotto fever because of the size of the jackpots.

Mega Millions is estimated to be at $750 million for tomorrows draw.
Powerball is at $640 for Saturday.

If those numbers hold then MM is the #5 jackpot of all time while PB is #9.

If no one wins either then MM will shoot up to #3 behind the two 1.5 billion draws we had a couple years back. PB will likely shoot up to top 6.

It's funny, a few years back, if the jackpot topped $300 million, people would freak out. But then we had that first 1.5 billion and it became ho hum, just 300 million? Yawn. Also, the lotto odds getting skyrocketed has caused more big jackpots.

Oddly, this is not the biggest they have ever been concurrently. One of the 1.5 billions had the other over 500 million around the same time. This is the first time both have been over $600, though.

So what are you doing with your lotto winnings?

I'm going to buy more lotto tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Bitcoin babbyyyyy and Mickey manalo baseball cards

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i dont play those little 50 million jackpots. if i win i need it to be a life-changing amount

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

gary oldmans diary posted:

i dont play those little 50 million jackpots. if i win i need it to be a life-changing amount

:same:

My stupid theory is that you only gotta win once so if it's not gently caress-you money then I'll wait.

Winning only $10 million means I'd have to be relatively careful with my permanent vacation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I used to never play but now that I'm not "toast sandwich for dinner" poor, I'll play sporadically once it gets above 300 or so.
Obviously no way I'd win but my mental health is poo poo and the small serotonin boost is worth the $2.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

:same:

My stupid theory is that you only gotta win once so if it's not gently caress-you money then I'll wait.

Winning only $10 million means I'd have to be relatively careful with my permanent vacation.

yeah but if you had 10 mil imagine how many more lotto tickets you could buy

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mozi posted:

yeah but if you had 10 mil imagine how many more lotto tickets you could buy

:vince:

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I bought a ticket for the last powerball drawing and had three numbers, and that's probably the closest I'll ever get to becoming a millionaire.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I don't live in the US, can someone spot me a ticket??

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I'll show you some POWERBALLS OP.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Derpies posted:

I'll show you some POWERBALLS OP.

Shove them in the powerballdo and change your life, son.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I wonder if when a person won, they could display the ticket in a public space in a virtually unbreakable container. Then set up some legal distinction so that whomever finally gets the ticket is financially liable to pay for the damages caused in attempting to retrieve it.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Has anyone ever stolen the jackpot? It's gotta be somewhere right, just take it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
please give me money number gods

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
When is the cutoff to buy? I might give it a shot so I can buy this website

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Milo and POTUS posted:

When is the cutoff to buy? I might give it a shot so I can buy this website

You're too late! (Buying the website I mean)

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Whoever wins buy me something nice, please.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

we live in a country where, for the most part, the government holds a monopoly on gambling

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

last billion jackpot was won in a state where winners can be completely anonymous and the winner took months to collect

there's no way that can't be arranged again

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Outside of scratchers I have no idea how to buy lottery tickets. I remember my first job at a grocery store there was this old dude who worked there and my only memory of him was him chain smoking and buying like stacks of lottery tickets. Like several inches thick books of them.

I can only imagine how much money he spent on those.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

here in Canada a "big" jackpot is like 50-60 mil. and that's CAD lol. tho we get to actually take the full amount and without taxes or any of that poo poo

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
SPACs are the new lotto

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 15, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

"Surely I will be the person to win the jackport this time!! "

(spends $40 on lottery tickets)

(drawing night comes and none of them were close at all, goes and buys another $40 in tickets)

"I can't wait for Saturday's drawing, it can't come fast enough!"

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Professor Latency posted:

Outside of scratchers I have no idea how to buy lottery tickets. I remember my first job at a grocery store there was this old dude who worked there and my only memory of him was him chain smoking and buying like stacks of lottery tickets. Like several inches thick books of them.

I can only imagine how much money he spent on those.

You mark your numbers on a little card like you're taking the SAT. Hand it to the cashier and hold up the line with your incoherent rambling.

I thank my lucky stars my old convenience store manager never bothered to train me on the lotto machine.

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 15, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'd buy some really premium dog food for my nearly 13 year old great dane and then do nothing but hold her and snuggle her and fund everything off the cash until she passes. Because then I can go back to working my rear end off like I usually do, but every day all day would be about her and making her happy :unsmith: but it already is. Things are just a little more budget-restrained.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

I work for lottery operations in one of the states so I can't play, but it is always fun to see the massive spike it sales once the jackpot breaks a threshold amount and you start hearing about it in the media reminding people about it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I’m gonna get the rest of our house remodeling projects done and also expand our fenced area in the back yard so the dogs have more room to romp. Donate a bunch to homeless shelters, soup kitchens, animal rescues, and progressive causes. Maybe get a nice bottle of something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I would Brewster's Millions someone I hate but make the consequences deadly.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

BluPotato posted:

I work for lottery operations in one of the states so I can't play, but it is always fun to see the massive spike it sales once the jackpot breaks a threshold amount and you start hearing about it in the media reminding people about it.

That's fun for you? Do you not have a Netflix account or something?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i stopped playing the lottery jan 1, i tore up my ticket so I couldnt ever check to see if my numbers won. I'm putting the 40 per month into a house savings fund!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i forgot to buy what would have surely been the winning ticket :negative:

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
If you give me your money instead, I will give you half of it back.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BluPotato posted:

Have you noticed a higher threshold for people losing their poo poo?

I remember it being 300 million or so and people would go nuts. But ever since the first 1.5 billion the only other time is when it hit 1.5 billion the second time. Really, that was the end result of people freaking out when it got over 1 billion or so.

Tonights is the biggest jackpot since and no one seems to care. I'm sure if no one wins tonight it will attract a lot of attention.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Have you noticed a higher threshold for people losing their poo poo?

I remember it being 300 million or so and people would go nuts. But ever since the first 1.5 billion the only other time is when it hit 1.5 billion the second time. Really, that was the end result of people freaking out when it got over 1 billion or so.

Tonights is the biggest jackpot since and no one seems to care. I'm sure if no one wins tonight it will attract a lot of attention.

Years ago when the powerball was still $1, a high jackpot was considered to be anything over $200 mil, and you would see places running out of ticket stock quickly from that alone. They doubled the price of the ticket to so that they could get higher jackpots and that worked for a while, but ever since those $1 billion plus draws you don't see people really start to buy up absurd levels of tickets until like $500+ mil.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Any jackpot less than $300 mil is simply unworthy of me tbh.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I play the lotto right after the big jackpots hit. Lots better chances to win with less people playing.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Isn't there an amount where it's possible to buy up every single possible combination and still make a profit off it?

Just checked, there's over 302 million different possible combination so you only need about $605 million to guarantee that you get a jackpot for sure.

NeonPunk fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 16, 2021

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Is it wise to take out a 2nd mortgage and buy lotto tickets with it?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

NeonPunk posted:

Isn't there an amount where it's possible to buy up every single possible combination and still make a profit off it?

Just checked, there's over 302 million different possible combination so you only need about $605 million to guarantee that you get a jackpot for sure.

Something similar to this has been done but keep in mind the risk is p significant in that once it goes over the price where the estimated return on a ticket is greater than the cost is around the same time when everyone is buying them so if you go all in on this strat and there’s a not bad chance you’ll end up splitting the jackpot and losing money regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

I want to be the rear end in a top hat holding up the 7-11 line buying 300 million tickets.