Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Declan MacManus posted:

i wonder who would want kevin love

lakers? maybe philly? nola?

If the Hornets end up in the play-in this year and LaMelo continues to look good I can see them making a similar move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Ghost Dog posted:

hes really bad at it. if he was guarding you and as you looked down directly at the ball and dribbled with both hands all it would take is a single step forward and he would be behind you flailing around and failing to recover as you slowly walk to the rim

Is this what kobe's victims experienced?

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The Maestro posted:

Lmfao I feel so bad for all of your ex gfs who got hit with the lowlight montage

Lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Is this what kobe's victims experienced?

i don’t know about this one chief

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

+/- is a bad stat. Russell is leading a starter squad that was the worst in the league without KAT and still isn't set. Russell isn't playing super well but if you say basically "We're going to keep sliding people in and out of the starting lineup except for 1 guy" that guy's going to have some lovely +/-.

I mean, Russell isn't secretly playing good or anything, but like you said he's mostly doing what he was brought on to do.
There's also the fact that this is Minnesota's first stretch of games since March. They were a dismal team last year AND they hadn't played a competitive game in more than nine months, and that's after a shortened season in which they made a major trade at the deadline to KAT and D'Angelo Russell together only to see them not really get to play together all that much.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

If the Nets are better or not is the ancient superstar vs multiple good players argument. Superstar almost always wins this one so the Nets are probably better. But I can see how someone could take the other end, especially when the Nets problem is defense and they traded arguably their two best defensive players.

Generally I side on the superstar side. In my per anecdotal not backed by anything mind, role players tend to wither up into pumpkins at a higher rate than superstars who can get calls in the playoffs. I'd rather bank on 3 superstars trying to figure it out and how to fit together than hoping the stars align and my Troy Hudson gets to play the Lakers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Algund Eenboom posted:

Cut my life into pieces / this is my luguentz dort

Literally cackling

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Generally I side on the superstar side. In my per anecdotal not backed by anything mind, role players tend to wither up into pumpkins at a higher rate than superstars who can get calls in the playoffs. I'd rather bank on 3 superstars trying to figure it out and how to fit together than hoping the stars align and my Troy Hudson gets to play the Lakers
It's because depth doesn't matter as much in the playoffs. Not only do the star players get more calls, but the minute rotations tighten up so that a team that might have ten quality players isn't going to look as good in a playoff scenario where eight players will probably take all the minutes.

And in a league with a salary cap, a team with 8-10 high quality players and role players who fit well together well probably isn't going to have any stars on it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lockback posted:

I don't see where he'd land. He still has 2 years $60m left on his deal AFTER this season.

Anything is possible but his seems like its not going anywhere anytime soon.
My feeling is the rebuilding Cavs just extended him as a possible asset to flip down the road, and now he completely broke down and now there's no market for his contract and they might just ride it out. Because they don't want to have to give up assets to move him

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I forget Kevin Love is still playing most of the time. I'd name Thompson being on the Cavs and remember he left before I recalled Love.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

It's because depth doesn't matter as much in the playoffs. Not only do the star players get more calls, but the minute rotations tighten up so that a team that might have ten quality players isn't going to look as good in a playoff scenario where eight players will probably take all the minutes.

And in a league with a salary cap, a team with 8-10 high quality players and role players who fit well together well probably isn't going to have any stars on it.

Right but I'm still talking about the #4-7 guys. Quality there doesn't hurt and having a complete liability on either end there can be bad. But I'd rather have the superstars and fill the rest with ring chasers than guessing which of my multiple above average but not star guys manage will step up

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Will rj barrett ever be a decent player?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Right but I'm still talking about the #4-7 guys. Quality there doesn't hurt and having a complete liability on either end there can be bad. But I'd rather have the superstars and fill the rest with ring chasers than guessing which of my multiple above average but not star guys manage will step up
And I think that's the problem: the team with a bunch of just good NBA players rarely has 1-2 guys take charge in a playoff situation.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Will rj barrett ever be a decent player?

i think so, sometimes he looks okay

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Guys 2-7 have to play good defense in the playoffs though. Portland didn’t get rinsed because they lacked a go-to scorer, they lost because their roster had roughly 0.25 good defenders.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Trading depth for stars is almost always worth it from a value standpoint, but can nets win it all with 3 ball dominant perimeter players? If something were to happen to old man Jordan they’d have zero defense.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

kingcobweb posted:

Guys 2-7 have to play good defense in the playoffs though. Portland didn’t get rinsed because they lacked a go-to scorer, they lost because their roster had roughly 0.25 good defenders.

The other guys have to score. Even if your top two guys go off for 30 each that's only 60 points. Yeah Portland's defense sucked but you still have the problem of needing someone like Mo Harkless or Aminu or Ed Davis or whoever to try and manufacture some points against a good team which was rough.

It's also why I'm usually down on the Nuggets despite the Bubble Run. Hoping one of a grab bag of Monte Morris or Will Barton or Gary Harris or Hernangomez goes off every game doesn't seem sustainable in the playoffs. Or Earl Boykins back in the day. Even though MPJ is horrible defensively I like their ceiling more now they have 3 legit scorers.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Papes posted:

Trading depth for stars is almost always worth it from a value standpoint, but can nets win it all with 3 ball dominant perimeter players? If something were to happen to old man Jordan they’d have zero defense.

I’m told Durant is a center

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Getting stars is always worth it because once they break down you can just trade them to the Knicks for a king's ransom

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Papes posted:

Philly is who can abuse that lack of size but can you keep up in a shoot-out with Ben Simmons on your team I think not which is why Morey really needs to pick up the phone and ask about Buddy Hield

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Philly is who can abuse that lack of size but can you keep up in a shoot-out with Ben Simmons on your team I think not which is why Morey really needs to pick up the phone and ask about Buddy Hield

Miami can too

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Metapod posted:

Miami can too

If Miami wants to put together a package for Buddy Hield then I'm fine with that too

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i hope we get a nets bucks playoff series because that sounds cool as hell

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Durant going on a 20-0 run as bud refuses to put his starters back in before the 9 minute mark

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The real advantage for the Nets will show up when teams have to sneak a rest for Giannis or whoever and the Nets still have 2 monster scorers on the floor. Or even just Harden + shooters.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

jackofarcades posted:

The real advantage for the Nets will show up when teams have to sneak a rest for Giannis or whoever and the Nets still have 2 monster scorers on the floor. Or even just Harden + shooters.

Not to mention how gassed your defenders are going to be by the 4th quarter. They will absolutely wear down your team.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

kingcobweb posted:

There's been issues on offense and defense with Portland. The 17-18 team had good defenders in ET, Aminu, Harkless, Nurkic, Shabazz and Collins, but got bounced by NOP because only CJ could make a shot with Jrue on Dame. The 18-19 team got to the WCF with pretty much the same squad except Kanter in for Nurkic. The 19-20 team was a mess in the playoff with a rusty Nurkic, an apathetic Whiteside, no Collins or Ariza, and Melo playing matador defense.

But Portland is a bit different in that CJ and Dame need really good defenders next to them, Kyrie, Harden and Durant don't need that as much.

I think the Nets will probably get someone like Javale or Whiteside on waivers and be fine.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

doesn't Brooklyn have a few open roster spots now after the trade? you'd have to think they grab a current FA like Taj Gibson, Ian Mahinmi, Kyle O'Quinn, or Skal Labissiere just to have somebody on the roster

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Lockback posted:

Not to mention how gassed your defenders are going to be by the 4th quarter. They will absolutely wear down your team.

That’s when you have Pat Bev dive into their knees after the loose ball.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Raptors should see if they can trade nothing for Drummond.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

first 25 seconds of this had me chortling

https://twitter.com/WhistleSports/status/1349841590848782339

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
A game on Saturday has been cancelled already:

https://twitter.com/Pacers/status/1349835239611265030

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1349831256029106176

lol

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Athanatos posted:

A game on Saturday has been cancelled already:

https://twitter.com/Pacers/status/1349835239611265030

lol this is all gonna end soon

i thought the same about the nfl, though, and yet

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

That's a pro avatar right there

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

morestuff posted:

I’m told Durant is a center

If KD will play center in small ball situations the Nets will be unstoppable

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Ja is listed as “questionable” for Friday’s game, having missed the last eight. A return could be on the horizon!