Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The best bitter interview is Friedkin. What an angry loving man

No one in particular, there are a bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Fog is dope as hell. It's also a bit frustrating because it squanders some tantalizing opportunities, but it's a very very fun flick.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea for anyone who maybe hasn't delved into that second and even third tier of Carpenter's films, you should definitely make a point of doing it. He's got a whole list of films that you might instantly fall in love with but they just don't get a whole lot of attention compared to Halloween or The Thing.

Like, you never see anyone talk about Starman but it's a masterpiece.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Franchescanado posted:

Check out Amy Nicholson's podcast series (10 eps) about Halloween, "Halloween Unmasked".
I'm at the tail-end of the Halloween season of With Gourley and Rust. Might as well throw another 10 episodes into the ring. :hellyeah:

The Peccadillo posted:

The Exorcist documentary on Shudder is just 90 minutes of Friedkin talking and it's fantastic. He doesn't even come off as angry, just a dude who knows he's absolutely right because he is absolutely right.

Basebf555 posted:

Starman is every mom's favorite John Carpenter movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Friedkin loves talking about The Exorcist. He could talk about that movie all day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

I'm at the tail-end of the Halloween season of With Gourley and Rust. Might as well throw another 10 episodes into the ring. :hellyeah:

The Freddy season is a lot of fun, but their final ranking drove me crazy. They seemed to forget how much fun they had with some of the entries and gave a lot of leeway for others.

Are you doing their bonus eps and commentaries? The Mailbag episodes rule, and the commentaries have been a nice excuse to rewatch movies.

Basebf555 posted:

Friedkin loves talking about The Exorcist. He could talk about that movie all day.

The Action Boyz have highly recommended his memoir The Friedkin Connection, which had an audiobook read by him, but it has since gone unavailable. I check every so often to see if it's on Audible again, because the stories they reference sound awesome and Ben Rodgers's impression of him makes me laugh a lot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't think he's bitter so much as he has a massive ego and refuses to be humble in any way.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Franchescanado posted:

The Freddy season is a lot of fun, but their final ranking drove me crazy. They seemed to forget how much fun they had with some of the entries and gave a lot of leeway for others.

Are you doing their bonus eps and commentaries? The Mailbag episodes rule, and the commentaries have been a nice excuse to rewatch movies.
I found the Freddy takes pretty reasonable, though they've always been up-front about their lack of enthusiasm for the series overall (at least compared to Friday and Halloween). The Nightmare series was always my pick of the Slashers, but I gotta admit after going through them, the Friday Scream Factory box and now Halloween, Jason might move to the front of the line. I still have to listen to the Friday 4 and Predator commentaries. I gotta admit, being tied to the runtime of the movie makes me sad. I like the three and a half hours of breathing room in the main feed eps.

Can't wait for the Aliens episode tomorrow! :woop:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea for anyone who maybe hasn't delved into that second and even third tier of Carpenter's films, you should definitely make a point of doing it. He's got a whole list of films that you might instantly fall in love with but they just don't get a whole lot of attention compared to Halloween or The Thing.

Also Dark Star.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Peccadillo posted:

Ugh, I'll never get over the disappointment I felt when Friedkin was on Joe Dante's podcast and the hosts started ripping Trump and saying that he doesn't understand Citizen Kane and Friedkin jumped in to defend Trump.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Looking forward to this, but based on what Brendan Fraser has said about his mental health, I'm worried. Aronofsky is apparently Kubrick-level in terms of psychologically loving with his actors.

Very weird to hear he psychologically messes with his actors, it puts his relationship with Jennifer Lawrence in a new light.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't think he's bitter so much as he has a massive ego and refuses to be humble in any way.

Didn't he literally walk around the set of The Exorcist with a loaded gun, randomly firing it in the air just to keep people on edge?

Basebf555 posted:

Starman's great, and Elvis is better than you would think a 3-hour Elvis biopic by a horror director would be. At the very least it's worth a watch because it was the first time he worked with Kurt Russell.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Also Dark Star.

I couldn't grok Dark Star the one time I watched it, it was too all-over-the-place. The ending's real good, though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I don't even know where to ask this.

Years ago I had some 8mm home movies scanned to a DVD. They were not scanned in any particular order so you have clips of me crawling as a baby, followed by a basketball game my uncle played in in 1981, followed by someone's wedding, then back to someone's dog.

Anyone have a recommendation on a video editing software that I can use to split this into relevant pieces?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Da Vinci Resolve is free, pretty versatile and not that hard to learn.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Da Vinci Resolve is free, pretty versatile and not that hard to learn.

Thanks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn't he literally walk around the set of The Exorcist with a loaded gun, randomly firing it in the air just to keep people on edge?

Honestly, you know, I'm not sure. Based on what I've read I can't even recall if it's been corroborated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The way i heard it he did the same thing Cronenberg did on The Dead Zone where he would fire a gun offscreen to get proper shocked reaction shots.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"Firing a shotgun offscreen to get real reactions" is a story I've heard about The Shining as well. The fact that it comes up so often makes me think there's some truth to it, but that also means there's an equal chance it's totally apocryphal.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
A gunshot on an indoor set would be a real son of a bitch move.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The way i heard it he did the same thing Cronenberg did on The Dead Zone where he would fire a gun offscreen to get proper shocked reaction shots.

Still in awe they fired a live shotgun round to make the prop head explode in Scanners.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Still in awe they fired a live shotgun round to make the prop head explode in Scanners.

Maniac and Dawn of the Dead, too. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Maniac and Dawn of the Dead, too. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I knew about Maniac as well, but didn't know about Dawn of the Dead. I'm tired of people exploding into CGI blood, bring back slightly comical but way more badass prop heads getting obliterated.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ever since I was a child, I've always wanted to get squibbed, Robo-Cop-style.

Also: eat candy glass in front of people to freak them out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't getting squibbed actually not a comfortable experience? Like, it's still a little mini explosion going off on you so I think people can get bruises from it? Maybe I'm wrong, I could swear I heard an industry person say that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've always imagined it being slightly worse than getting hit by a paintball but that's entirely my own imagination

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Ever since I was a child, I've always wanted to get squibbed, Robo-Cop-style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEGH3rUh050

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The shotgun in the original Evil Dead was a real gun firing live rounds. If you look up stories or interviews about it the production was dangerous and miserable. A bunch of people got hurt.

There's an hour long compilation of Tom Savini's guest segments on Late Night with David Letterman on youtube and anyone here that likes practical effects or explodey/gore poo poo in horror movies needs to see that. It's not only fun and educational but I didn't realize that Tom Savini was completely adorable.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CPL593H posted:

I didn't realize that Tom Savini was completely adorable.

I've never met the man but I've heard anecdotes throughout the years that he's a total rear end in a top hat?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cacator posted:

I've never met the man but I've heard anecdotes throughout the years that he's a total rear end in a top hat?

Ah whatever. The poo poo he did on Late Night was cool and fun.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Basebf555 posted:

Isn't getting squibbed actually not a comfortable experience? Like, it's still a little mini explosion going off on you so I think people can get bruises from it? Maybe I'm wrong, I could swear I heard an industry person say that.
Do you think I care? That poo poo's awesome, yo. Hook it up.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 14, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hell yeah live action Filipino Voltes V

https://twitter.com/gmanetwork/status/1349651613116370947?s=20

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yeah the robot is cool and all but where's Prince Heinel Zardos?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Whoa. I don't know the series, but that's a terrific aesthetic—looks straight out of the imagination of an 8 year old playing with action figures in the best possible way. It's got the perfect degree of elevating cartoon designs: ground them a touch to give them weight and texture, retain the spirit, and let them look a little goofy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I love the spaceship that looks like a skull.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I love Vampire$ even if James Woods turned out to be a MAGA lunatic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

currently losing my poo poo about actual cannibal Armie Hammer

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

So I had to look this up because :wtc:. But what it sounds like is he was talking about some weird fetish fantasy stuff and the conversation got leaked. Unless it turns out to be some sort of harassment or the conversation violated someone's consent then who gives a poo poo? It's weird and gross but a lot of people get off to poo poo that's way worse if any of this is even true.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I love Vampire$ even if James Woods turned out to be a MAGA lunatic

James Woods being a poo poo head probably bothers me more than any other actor I've found that out about.

whereas

Gripweed posted:

this is literally the first time I've thought about him since Call Me By Your Name got good reviews but still didn't watch it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

So I had to look this up because :wtc:. But what it sounds like is he was talking about some weird fetish fantasy stuff and the conversation got leaked. Unless it turns out to be some sort of harassment or the conversation violated someone's consent then who gives a poo poo? It's weird and gross but a lot of people get off to poo poo that's way worse if any of this is even true.

Oh god no, it's so much worse. I'm putting part of it in a spoilered link, because it's honestly a bit disturbing and I don't want it automatically inlined. It's a pattern of both emotional and physical abuse, and there's a lot of texts from a lot of people, so a poo poo ton of people would have to be lying about Armie Hammer for it not be terrible.

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1349764210910261248?s=20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Oh god no, it's so much worse. I'm putting part of it in a spoilered link, because it's honestly a bit disturbing and I don't want it automatically inlined. It's a pattern of both emotional and physical abuse, and there's a lot of texts from a lot of people, so a poo poo ton of people would have to be lying about Armie Hammer for it not be terrible.

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1349764210910261248?s=20

Oh, okay. gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Oh, okay. gently caress him.

Yeah, obviously the most sensational stuff (cannibal roleplaying over text) is also the most easy to look past, but "there's some there there."