Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

i am a moron posted:

My God that this exists. I honestly can't believe they've released two albums so relatively close together. It's better than Wildflower imo (which I still enjoyed), and much closer to the kind of aesthetic Since I Left You had. Listened to all 25 tracks in a row today and really enjoyed it. Thank you for letting me know this existed.

I'm just kinda randomly entering this thread and looked back a few pages, but has anyone been into Everything Everything's RE-ANIMATOR? It's been my favorite album of the year, although We Will Always Love You is now a close second.

Yea I only just found out this has come out...really enjoying it after a few days of listening, as you said, feels a bit more like Since I Left You.

Really like Oh the Sunn! going into We Go On...I remember going through a phase of listening to Ritual De Lo Habitual, Angel Dust and Since I left You on repeat in the early 00's and now Perry is on their album :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Also, very mad about Oasis right now, they are ripping off the loving Beatles!!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I stumbled on some band called Empath (via their drummer, who was in Perfect Pussy) and their album from last year is sneakily becoming one of my favorite records that I've listened to this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVeL1nKucc

Love that lo-fi fuzz. Reminds me of a No Age, but this is more joyous and fun.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

you had me at lo-fi fuzz

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
So, how bad is everyone's Spotify / music taste?

https://pudding.cool/2020/12/judge-my-spotify/

The site analyses your listening habits and gives you a "basic" rating, while berating your musical taste.

My verdict:

"Your Spotify was mid-nineties-flannel-shirt-stomp-and-holler-trendy-middle-part bad.

> Thank your obsessions with Pearl Jam, stomp and holler, and Phoebe Bridgers for that.

You are 2% basic. Collapse Under The Empire and Marble Sounds? Where do you even find this poo poo?."

Also, apparently I stan Nothing But Thieves, Glen Hansard and
Bear's Den too much. (There is no such thing)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Turambar posted:

So, how bad is everyone's Spotify / music taste?

https://pudding.cool/2020/12/judge-my-spotify/

The site analyses your listening habits and gives you a "basic" rating, while berating your musical taste.

My verdict:

"Your Spotify was mid-nineties-flannel-shirt-stomp-and-holler-trendy-middle-part bad.

> Thank your obsessions with Pearl Jam, stomp and holler, and Phoebe Bridgers for that.

You are 2% basic. Collapse Under The Empire and Marble Sounds? Where do you even find this poo poo?."

Also, apparently I stan Nothing But Thieves, Glen Hansard and
Bear's Den too much. (There is no such thing)

I got:

You are 2% basic. Have you considered there's a reason nobody listens to Menomena?.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Your spotify was sad-in-a-cabin-stomp-and-holler-dads-still-cool bad.

7%

unbeatable
Mar 13, 2006
I'm number one
This is my lane right now,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbfcOmc1UE

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6iAl2N7yZz5YAvU8NUca6b?si=NlAUFMg9S7G7UV_VXxrk4A

I don't remember what we did last year, but I would love to see y'all's lists. Especially you, slandible.

Not in order:
Sylvan Esso Ferris Wheel
The Beths Out of Sight
Hinds Boy
Dizzy Sunflower
Beach Bunny Rearview
Caroline Rose Feel the Way I Want
Charli XCX anthems
Poppy Concrete
Purity Ring stardew
Grimes 4ÆM

bonus 100gecs ringtone (Remix) you know the one

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Via times played on Spotify and eliminating repeat artists, I've got:

Purity Ring - stardew
Glass Animals - Heat Waves (and the entire album after this basically)
Future Islands - For Sure
Phantogram - Pedestal
Taylor Swift - invisible string
Goth Babe - Moments / Tides
Sylvan Esso - Ferris Wheel
Local Natives ft. Sylvan Esso - Dark Days
HAIM - Don't Wanna
Grimes - Delete Forever

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I got:

You are 2% basic. Have you considered there's a reason nobody listens to Menomena?.

There is absolutely every reason to listen to Menomena :colbert:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Thank you for reminding me to listen to Plumage

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

I don't remember what we did last year, but I would love to see y'all's lists. Especially you, slandible.

Hah, I think Ive been absent on the thread this year , but we have had similarities in the past.

Top 25, not all necessarily from this year.

Link:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/25990oCdFJ4MXWwXovmyKP?si=MCwukFLcQt62ysYXBMy6AA

Desktop Code:
spotify:playlist:25990oCdFJ4MXWwXovmyKP

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

incoherent posted:

There is absolutely every reason to listen to Menomena :colbert:

I'm devastated they broke up and that none of their solo projects are as good as they were together

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Grabbed Good Kid's 2nd EP on vinyl, signed. It's got their first EP on one side, second on the other.

pretty happy since they've quickly become a top 10 band for me this year

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I haven't managed to work out my top international albums (Phoebe Bridgers, Future Islands, who knows what else) but I've nailed down my top 10 New Zealand albums, and that's enough for now. It's been a strange year in Aotearoa, but we've been lucky enough to actually have live music and an almost-normal year of releases.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0fHGgmDwwzJDpZsqMFcWxm?si=DxWqy-tJSwipwiDUOFp7Qg

Mali Mail - I Was Told To Keep An Eye Out
Kate Own - Not A Proper Girl
The Beths - Jump Rope Gazers
Nadia Reid - Out Of My Province
Reb Fountain - Reb Fountain
Ida Lune - Ida Lune
Mystery Waitress - Nest
Jonathan Bree - After The Curtain
WHIM - Mother Tongue
Marlon Williams and Kacy & Clayton - Plastic Bouquet

And as a bonus single, Lake South - History/Present

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
We’ve done this for the past five years now I believe so let’s do it again. Here’s my ten song top tunes of 2020 playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4AZF8Pu6uGA2bWJ672lHAG?si=mgMb6R1yT1u7GVjzGUFEwg

Happy new year everyone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I usually put together a top 25 songs every year, but I struggled this year, and holidays have wrecked what little mental health I have left. I appreciate all of you posting yours, so it gives me stuff to listen to. Thank you.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

My fave albums (tbh feels like I listened to a tremendous amount of good music this year)

I hate that I still haven't seen tricot live and they're def my favorite band now - their albums somehow just keep getting better. My list goes through a bunch of genres: math/indie rock, pop, italopop, r&b/jungle, ambient, funk

tricot - 真っ黒 (makkuro)
tricot - 10
Il Quadro Di Troisi - Il Quadro Di Troisi
The Beths - Jump Rope Gazers
Machinedrum - A View of U
Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B
Julianna Barwick - Healing is a Miracle
Jessy Lanza - All The Time
Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure **sleeper hit of the year, often overlooked imo**
Khruangbin - Mordechai

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

air- posted:

(tbh feels like I listened to a tremendous amount of good music this year)

I agree, 2020 was the best year for music that we've seen in a number of years.

My favorites were, in no particular order:

Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
Destroyer - Have We Met
Fleet Foxes - Shore
Jonsi - Shiver
Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately (probably my favorite of the year)
Porches - Ricky Music
Bartees Strange - Live Forever
Yves Tumor - Heaven to a Tortured Mind
Bright Light Bright Light - Fun City
Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension
Haim - Women in Music Part III

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7v4yd/dont-be-shocked-john-maus-and-ariel-pink-were-at-pro-trump-riot-at-capitol-in-dc

hooboy...

quote:

Yesterday, right-wing extremists broke into the U.S. Capitol Building and stormed the Senate floor in a shameful and violent attempt to stop the official certification of Joe Biden’s election win. Hours later, images surfaced showing that musicians Ariel Pink and John Maus were in attendance. On a private Instagram account, filmmaker Alex Lee Moyer posted a photo in which she appeared to be sitting on a hotel room bed with Maus and Pink, later reposted on Twitter. Moyer tagged the post's location in Washington DC and captioned it: "The day we almost died but had a great time instead." In an Instagram Story on the same account, Moyer posted a video showing Maus standing outside the Capitol.

Moyer is the director of the controversial 2020 documentary TFW No GF, a sympathetic portrayal of incel and incel culture that featured Maus and Pink's songs on its soundtrack. In an email to Pitchfork, Moyer said she had met up with Pink and Maus to chat about an unrelated project that day and "felt obliged to record what was happening” in Washington, DC.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I listened to one Ariel Pink album - Mature Themes.

Only In My Dreams was a legitimately good track, but the rest of it was utter horse poo poo. Like "the bad breath of the crosseyed goat" and the opener's repeating "who sunk my battleship?" are just garbage.

I've never listened to anything else he put out. One good, maybe great song, and the rest just garbage tier. I wrote him off as someone who had one good song in him and nothing else.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Fuckin' Pom Pom is a masterpiece. Bloated, but a classic.

The fact that John Maus and Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth) were involved too is... ah gently caress.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Yeah, Ariel Pink is an indie pop song writing genius in my eyes but gonna be hard for me to separate the art from the artist for a while.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ariel Pink's been saying stupid poo poo for years so this isn't surprising. But I love John Maus, so that hurts. Although also not very surprising considering his continued association with Pink.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm a big fan of the song "Round and Round" but yeah, gently caress those guys.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ariel Pink always seemed like a very weird, childish idiot. Unsurprising. House Arrest is an amazing album though.

John Maus being there breaks my heart. :(

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

On a non-fascist note, this is a recording of maybe the best thing I heard last year -- Nadia Reid and Holly Fullbrook covering one of the greatest New Zealand songs of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTpeDG4dzw

oot
Jun 28, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nx9u6d18cc

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

cptn_dr posted:

On a non-fascist note, this is a recording of maybe the best thing I heard last year -- Nadia Reid and Holly Fullbrook covering one of the greatest New Zealand songs of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTpeDG4dzw

i like it. if you told me it was a belle and Sebastian song I would believe you

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

I listened to one Ariel Pink album - Mature Themes.

Only In My Dreams was a legitimately good track, but the rest of it was utter horse poo poo. Like "the bad breath of the crosseyed goat" and the opener's repeating "who sunk my battleship?" are just garbage.

I've never listened to anything else he put out. One good, maybe great song, and the rest just garbage tier. I wrote him off as someone who had one good song in him and nothing else.

Congratulations on knowing Ariel Pink sucks before the rest of us dummies.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

turnip kid posted:

It truly is my curse and my burden. I wouldn't wish this on anyone else.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

IN OTHER NEWS not-maga chuds Death Cab for Cutie is pressing their THE GEORGIA EP to vinyl. While I should post this in vinyl group, a lot people were were miffed they couldn't get the download (which is now back up on all platforms) after the fact and lamented a physical copy.

https://store.deathcabforcutie.com/collections/featured-on-the-homepage/products/georgia-ep

incoherent fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 13, 2021

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

turnip kid posted:

if you were paying attention to him during Pom Pom you’d know he’s a weird right wing idiot

If it’s any conciliation, it’s not like he has much of a ideology or anything. he’s mostly inscrutable when he gets political, to a point where people wrote him off as a troll.

John maus should’ve known better though.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 13, 2021

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

New Julien Baker song and video is real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pGBIAiJPF4

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Odd Mutant posted:

John maus should’ve known better though.
I keep thinking, I'm compelled to believe that surely someone with a political science PhD will have had at least a more complex reason to be there than "gently caress yes, Heil Trump", by general trust in the academic process if nothing else

Ariel Pink I've always suspected was pretty insufferable and best kept away from. Never heard an album of his I disliked though. He's got a good 20-25 solid gold songs under his belt, minimum.

e: OH COME ON

https://pitchfork.com/news/ariel-pink-abuse-allegations-surface-in-court-case/

you are not making this easy, Rosenberg

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 14, 2021

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
YIKES

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/forcesfromabove/status/1349900357439111168?s=21
:cry:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I think we all know what sort of face Tucker would make if he heard one of his records.

Granted, it's the same face he would make if he found out he was getting a raise or if he ran into Barack Obama on the street.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lol that just looks like Tucker dressed up as ariel and asked himself questions