Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Jonny 290 posted:

realplayer would have been fine if we had any sort of decent internet at all in the us

First music video I ever streamed on realplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sOpbRL8R4g

I remember fourth grade and our computer lab teacher taught us hotbot

When we got a T1 in high school, hotline was the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Wild EEPROM posted:

googles search results are so bad that instead of making you wade through 200 bad results they put the bad result as an answer right up front.

also bad is how searching for how to do something will just bring up a hundred pages of youtube.

I saw a good example of this recently

i was looking to see if lockpickinglawyer had picked a lock i have and google suggested a set of questions, one being 'who is the lockpickinglawyer?'

the excerpt was from a wikipedia page for a different lock picker with a pile of legal and personal woes. the only connection was they both picked locks

google has figured out how to auto-defame people and hope you'll fact-check them

oh, and 'who is lockpickinglawyer' results in useful results and a wikia full of sport lock pickers with useful information, so google is tripping on "the" and how that affects the proper noun

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Agile Vector posted:

I saw a good example of this recently

i was looking to see if lockpickinglawyer had picked a lock i have and google suggested a set of questions, one being 'who is the lockpickinglawyer?'

the excerpt was from a wikipedia page for a different lock picker with a pile of legal and personal woes. the only connection was they both picked locks

google has figured out how to auto-defame people and hope you'll fact-check them

oh, and 'who is lockpickinglawyer' results in useful results and a wikia full of sport lock pickers with useful information, so google is tripping on "the" and how that affects the proper noun

find lockpickinglawyers near you!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
do you own this business?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Gentle Autist posted:

i am forced to use ddg because of google’s evil bullshit but the results are much, much, worse

yea i switched to ddg a couple weeks ago, but ugh the results :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

do you own this business?

only losers who spend way too much time on the internet will get this

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

i am forced to use ddg because of google’s evil bullshit but the results are much, much, worse

bing time to shine

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
remember when instead of just a youtube link sites would have a video available for download in quicktime, realplayer, mpeg and like three other formats for you to pick from, and all the formats sucked

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cheque_some posted:

remember when instead of just a youtube link sites would have a video available for download in quicktime, realplayer, mpeg and like three other formats for you to pick from, and all the formats sucked

14.4k friendly!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

cheque_some posted:

when youtube embeds starting popping up suddenly and they were in flash and video just loving played it was amazing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pop-under banner ads being the big terrible thing on the internet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i could never understand why it was so difficult to just not allow the browser to open new windows

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gentle Autist posted:

when youtube embeds starting popping up suddenly and they were in flash and video just loving played it was amazing

this was possible and worked well with QuickTime for nearly a decade before YouTube was introduced

the “fast start” movie layout that puts all chunk description atoms up front and orders them was first created to use with CD-ROM, which was originally only about three times as fast as 56K dialup; this let a movie play smoothly while being retrieved, as long as it didn’t need more bits/second than were coming down (possibly after some preroll)

then Apple not only added RTSP support to QuickTime in the mid-1990s, but also wrote an RTSP server that ran on UNIX and made it Open Source in like 1998-99 and could deliver tons of movies at once with the ability for users to scrub through them, jump anywhere, etc.

YouTube doing it all with Flash was a big step backwards

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

echinopsis posted:

i could never understand why it was so difficult to just not allow the browser to open new windows

because it might make the monetization people mad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm browsers have never seemed too concerned about allowing ad breaking features or including them as standard

i remember when it was recommended to turn off javascript in web pages

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i had some .viv video files

what a poo poo format, no rewind or fast forward lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the best video format is whatever the gameboy advance movies used

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin vhs blows my mind, vcrs were so mechanical it’s kinda crazy really that they kept going at all

also having ads for dvds at the start of vhs you’d own, showing off how good dvds are

what do 4k movies come on these days?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

fuckin vhs blows my mind, vcrs were so mechanical it’s kinda crazy really that they kept going at all

also having ads for dvds at the start of vhs you’d own, showing off how good dvds are

what do 4k movies come on these days?

uhd discs and fiber optic cables.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that next steip up from bluray

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

is that next steip up from bluray

yes. they usually come in a bluray sized case except the top bar is black instead of blue and it says 4K on it somewhere.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I wonder what the state of 8K upscalers is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the future ai will just render the movie for us based on a handful of seed values and some input pics

want to change the actor? no prob

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

eschaton posted:

this was possible and worked well with QuickTime for nearly a decade before YouTube was introduced

the “fast start” movie layout that puts all chunk description atoms up front and orders them was first created to use with CD-ROM, which was originally only about three times as fast as 56K dialup; this let a movie play smoothly while being retrieved, as long as it didn’t need more bits/second than were coming down (possibly after some preroll)

then Apple not only added RTSP support to QuickTime in the mid-1990s, but also wrote an RTSP server that ran on UNIX and made it Open Source in like 1998-99 and could deliver tons of movies at once with the ability for users to scrub through them, jump anywhere, etc.

YouTube doing it all with Flash was a big step backwards

why wasn’t quicktime more widely used? did apple do some fuckery with licensing?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

QuickTime was extremely widely licensed, and its concepts and file format underly video today

I think the browser plug-in was even up there with Flash and Java for how widely distributed it was

who knows why nobody made something like YouTube with it instead of Flash, maybe Flash let YouTube obfuscate a bit or something

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
quicktime was pretty much the standard for trailers released from all the major studios for like a decade.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:argh: that stupid fuckin q :argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey when someone had a tape drive backup, what was the benefit? density back then?

and hows it work? did it manage its own start/stop?

tape drives like c64 intrigue me I guess because the computer has no control over the data coming in. I suppose it was slow.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also did ram doublers or doublespace actually do anything at all

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
In high school we (electronics/computer people) would do a yearly show with the more artsy parts of the school.
Every year they would bring us a DVD with the short film projects the students had made to show on the projector.

Without fail, it would be a pile of .mov files, containing barely compressed DV video and PCM audio, so a 5 minute PAL video would be like 1 GB.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
They would say "It's a Quicktime file, it'll play in Quicktime!", except the video codec used wasn't even part of Quicktime.
Pretty sure it was a codec their video editing software bundled.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

hey when someone had a tape drive backup, what was the benefit? density back then?

and hows it work? did it manage its own start/stop?

tape drives like c64 intrigue me I guess because the computer has no control over the data coming in. I suppose it was slow.

tapes were the cheapest money per byte storage unless you did paper tape and baudot code or something silly like that and yes they’re slow as molasses. the late 80s tape drive i messed with had the same buttons your stereo did, to write you’d set the job up and the computer would prompt “start tape” then begin outputting in ten seconds, if you didn’t get there then you had to rewind the tape and start over. reading back you’d set the job up and the computer would prompt “start tape” and wait for the data to come in so timing wasn’t as critical. more sophisticated units would be controlled by the computer directly so you could start the job and it would roll tape automatically.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some C64 game would click the cassette drive motor for sound effects.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Some C64 game would click the cassette drive motor for sound effects.

wouldnt think that was possible, the tape drive was extremely simple & i would assume the motors were only controllable with the buttons on the drive itself

the disk drive was controlled by the computer & could do fun stuff

also both had lovely firmware so there were a lot of turbo loaders around (both as hardware cartridges or ones you loaded from your turbo disk first)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i had some .viv video files

what a poo poo format, no rewind or fast forward lol

the format for pirating animes before goddamn RealPlayer

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
I remember borrowing a “learn to program in basic on the c64” vhs from the library. the instructor would go through a listing, then tell you to put a cassette recorder near the tv and hit record, then blast out the code listing in audio. you could then load the listing into your computer.

apparently in the uk at the time there were a few pirate radio stations broadcasting games you could record onto tape.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

blue leds

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Carthag Tuek posted:

wouldnt think that was possible, the tape drive was extremely simple & i would assume the motors were only controllable with the buttons on the drive itself

Not 100% sure about c64, but the add on tape drives for the BBC micro had a control line for stopping and starting the tape automatically.

( Rem being remote control )

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

all the backwards incompatible memorystick storage variants. also UMD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

minidisk generation loss on copying