Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Forceholy posted:

red pill for women?

I’ve seen this said a few times now but I really don’t understand what it means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

I’ve seen this said a few times now but I really don’t understand what it means

Buying into the toxic liberal patriarchy but from the other team, is my guess. Ironic she feels that way about Harry Potter.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

when did art/culture criticism get so loving bad? it’s just awful seeing poo poo like this and all the stuff (implicitly if not explicitly) arguing depiction == endorsement

https://twitter.com/harrytwalton/status/1349380681105895431?s=21

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

when did art/culture criticism get so loving bad? it’s just awful seeing poo poo like this and all the stuff (implicitly if not explicitly) arguing depiction == endorsement

hey gently caress this, one of my favourite books is oryx and crake

(i don't even know how i got here i was trying to open the doomsday econ thread lol)

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
y'xll if you walk into a man's house and his bookshelf prominently displays Goodnight Moon, The Little Prince, and a pre-Disney edition of Winnie-the-Pooh CALL THE POLICE NOW

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

isn't the Ennis position on the Troubles basically "both sides suck."

the guy abhors actual violence, which is a fine position to have and is probably good in comic writer. but his political positions aren't very nuanced.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

one issue of Hitman involves helping out a group of opium growing rebels overthrow a Western-allied dictator whose saddled his country with IMF loan debt

also all his works regularly poo poo on intelligence agencies and the deep state

Ennis is a Complicated Man.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

femaledatingstrategy is a fun read. its not quite as overtly evil as manosphere poo poo but theyre the exact female equivalent of MGTOW guys. only they actually go on dates so theyve developed this entire taxonomy of being a 'high value woman' who cant tolerate 'low value' men who do things like split the bill

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

sounds as insufferable!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Basically, I think it began when the trend of emotional reactions remaining unexamined and media criticism being reduced to a series of bullet points that needed to be checked off to be acceptable (what Eve Sedgwick called "Good Dog/Bad Dog" criticism) hit critical mass.

I recall reading an interesting essay about five years back where a black professor was trying to teach a Sex in Film class. She had a very interesting exercise set up where they would read an essay, then watch parts of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, which features, among other things, the main character, as a child, being raped by a prostitute, and the kid grows up to be a sex god (among other things). The whole film can be read as a reaction to the victimization of black folks, with them retaking agency and being irrestably cool and sexually powerful. The child is played by the director's son, Mario Van Peebles, and the film is a landmark in black cinema. It was required viewing for the Black Panthers under Huey P. Newton, for example.

Well, the professor shows parts of the film, and after class, well...

quote:

Later that day, I had a white female student come to my office hours crying. Between picking up tissues and blowing her nose she said, "I'm doing a minor in African American Studies. How could your first images of black people be that horrible?" I told her that I understood her concerns. I went on to explain how the class was a historical look at sex on screen and as the reading for the class articulated, it was one of the first film's to show black people having sex and was important to film history. She still didn't get it. She said I had to show some positive images, otherwise it was unfair, that the other students weren't African American Studies minors so they didn't understand race politics as she did. I told her that I would bring a positive image to the next class to address her concerns. Finally, she smiled.

[...]

I also thought about a positive image of black sexuality and sex. I decided to show a clip from The Wire that shows Omar in bed with his boyfriend just after having sex, a tender moment where they kiss. Omar's character, a black, gay dude who steals from drug dealers, is a revolutionary representation of black masculinity that stands in stark contrast to SSBAS. I was excited to show it. I mean, it’s The Wire: who doesn't want to talk about The Wire?

I began class by talking briefly about learning through discomfort. The students were silent. I turned to them for questions about moments of feeling uncomfortable and how we could read these as productive. The student who came to my office raised her hand and asked, "Are we gonna talk about SSBAS."

“Yes,” I said, “but I want us to talk about any of the films that made people uncomfortable. Let’s discuss the discomfort." Her face fell. She started crying and ran out of the room. Her friend followed her. Right after she left I showed the scene with Omar. Later that day, she came to my office again, sobbing.

[...]

I went to get advice from a colleague in the department. He listened and said that during that time of the semester, students tended to get testy. He thought it was seasonal. I asked him if he ever had such a hard time with his students and he said, "No, I am an old white dude, I really think that as a young woman of color they probably just aren't afraid of you, they see you as a peer." For the record, I'm not that young but he may have been right. And here's the irony, all of the students who were upset were the feminists, the activists, and there they were, treating a woman of color professor like she wasn't an authority while treating old white dudes like they are.

The whole essay is really worth reading: https://www.salon.com/2015/10/28/i_..._this_would_be/

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
there's probably a lot that goes into it. a lot of arguments in cineD over nerd franchise poo poo boils down to not wanting to process difficult emotions and ideas, and to a certain extent, to have someone tell you that while it is all incredibly serious and important that you don't have to think about any of that yourself. in some cases also that anyone who tries to make you think about it is wrong and maybe bad.

there's an obvious parallel to religion that makes the idea of canon really on the nose here. and in both cases, to be fair, people have better poo poo to actually think about.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Forceholy posted:

Isn't that subreddit just the red pill for women?

So that means it's guys masquerading as women who subscribe to the red pill.

well now I'm all hot and bothered

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Where do I find CSPAM-pilled broads? I'm done with liberals and their imperialist pop culture.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Tubgoat posted:

Where do I find CSPAM-pilled broads? I'm done with liberals and their imperialist pop culture.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Reddit truly is a land of contrasts.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

it goes hand in hand with the popularization of the theory that capitalist cultural production can drive positive social change a notion that is now described as woke this theory necessitated interpreting films as if they were being observed by an extremely stupid and gullible person

depending on how far back you want to go you can definitely blame roger ebert for this because reviewing films based on how he thought a stupid and gullible person would interpret them was his whole gimmick and he certainly had moments of praising a movie for perceived positive cultural value rather than based on whether he actually liked it or not

bear in mind that in roger eberts opinion bomb rear end titties were positive cultural value so it was a much more fungible idea when he started compared to now

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

I like his one review of some movie featuring nude Pacific Islander ladies where he first asserts that such treatment of native/tribal nudity is rooted in racist colonial misogyny, but then goes on that he’s damned if he won’t admit he enjoyed it

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
somehow literature discourse on twitter just seems SO much worse than anything else. i mean, movie and music talk is pretty bad, but somehow it's also easier to just look at MCU fanboys or whatever and just dismiss them without letting it upset you. but not only are people's book opinions bad, but they're just so aggressively bad

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Aglet56 posted:

somehow literature discourse on twitter just seems SO much worse than anything else. i mean, movie and music talk is pretty bad, but somehow it's also easier to just look at MCU fanboys or whatever and just dismiss them without letting it upset you. but not only are people's book opinions bad, but they're just so aggressively bad

everything can be YA fiction on twitter, its a state of mind

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
do we even have popular literature anymore

someone name a well known author who wasnt also well known in the twentieth century

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

someone name a well known author who wasnt also well known in the twentieth century

well donald trump wasn't well known for being an author until he got on twitter

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like how that post initially asserts that men don't read Atwood or Morrison except to get into women's pants, and then doubles-down on the bullshit by expanding the claim to include any woman who has ever written a book.

And by "like" I mean "wtf"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

*throws all the edith wharton novels into the trash*

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Cops and other fash bastards just like the Punisher logo because it's a skull. Murderous assholes always like skull iconography.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Farm Frenzy posted:

femaledatingstrategy is a fun read. its not quite as overtly evil as manosphere poo poo but theyre the exact female equivalent of MGTOW guys. only they actually go on dates so theyve developed this entire taxonomy of being a 'high value woman' who cant tolerate 'low value' men who do things like split the bill

that sounds like it's a bunch of people parodying liberal feminism but i should know better than to think it's anything but god's honest truth

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Basically, I think it began when the trend of emotional reactions remaining unexamined and media criticism being reduced to a series of bullet points that needed to be checked off to be acceptable (what Eve Sedgwick called "Good Dog/Bad Dog" criticism) hit critical mass.

I recall reading an interesting essay about five years back where a black professor was trying to teach a Sex in Film class. She had a very interesting exercise set up where they would read an essay, then watch parts of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, which features, among other things, the main character, as a child, being raped by a prostitute, and the kid grows up to be a sex god (among other things). The whole film can be read as a reaction to the victimization of black folks, with them retaking agency and being irrestably cool and sexually powerful. The child is played by the director's son, Mario Van Peebles, and the film is a landmark in black cinema. It was required viewing for the Black Panthers under Huey P. Newton, for example.

Well, the professor shows parts of the film, and after class, well...

The whole essay is really worth reading: https://www.salon.com/2015/10/28/i_..._this_would_be/

This poo poo is fascinating, and I think it ties directly to YA fiction becoming the popular fiction of our times. Suddenly everything is life lessons and positive depictions because the audience is theoretically youngish kids, but the critics and reviewers all seem to be people who are much older. I'm interested in reading more about Good Dog/Bad Dog criticism.

That professor's experience just hits home that so much discussion surrounding art and literature and books and film exists in a void where historical context just doesn't exist. For me you can't talk about morality or politics about anything without some historical knowledge but that just doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 07:30 on Jan 15, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

it goes hand in hand with the popularization of the theory that capitalist cultural production can drive positive social change a notion that is now described as woke this theory necessitated interpreting films as if they were being observed by an extremely stupid and gullible person

This is pretty much how it went down along with the idea that every piece of media just be interpreted as something that would be dropped on the planet of the gangster aliens from Star Trek who would build their entire society around it, and basically ended up turning into the Satanic Panic for millennials. Funny thing is it's mostly completely irrelevant now post-2016, but you get some people clinging onto it like the proverbial Japanese WWII holdout.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like how that post initially asserts that men don't read Atwood or Morrison except to get into women's pants, and then doubles-down on the bullshit by expanding the claim to include any woman who has ever written a book.

And by "like" I mean "wtf"

This is literally just 'fake geek girls' gender swapped

Dreylad posted:

that sounds like it's a bunch of people parodying liberal feminism but i should know better than to think it's anything but god's honest truth

That has its own things, like people being shocked and scandalised when AOC is dating a completely average looking millennial dude with a beard and not some guy with a stock portfolio

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Basically, I think it began when the trend of emotional reactions remaining unexamined and media criticism being reduced to a series of bullet points that needed to be checked off to be acceptable (what Eve Sedgwick called "Good Dog/Bad Dog" criticism) hit critical mass. ...

That is a good essay. It captures something that I've been unable to articulate , an inability to stand back and consider parts of films and books and ask questions of them, to enjoy or dislike aspects, and thus an inability to ask what other people see in them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

nonathlon posted:

That is a good essay. It captures something that I've been unable to articulate , an inability to stand back and consider parts of films and books and ask questions of them, to enjoy or dislike aspects, and thus an inability to ask what other people see in them.

It's totally aesthetics-as-morality and it's absolutely nuts. I hate to even bring it up, but the Star Wars movies encapsulate the whole experience from a variety of people of different uh, ideological persuasions let's say.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

the 50 shades of grey lady

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Some Guy TT posted:

James Frey

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The twilight lady

You didn't say they had to be quality

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the guy who wrote that harry potter fanfiction, you know the one

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

vyelkin posted:

My Immortal was written by a girl (with fangz to Raven for da help)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Some Guy TT posted:

Ernest Cline
Suzanne Collins

Important caveat:

Lib and let die posted:

You didn't say they had to be quality

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

vyelkin posted:

the guy who wrote that my little pony fanfiction, you know the one

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Methods of rationality or something like that?

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

glad to see mein kampf passes the smell test. I was gettign a little worried

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Some Guy TT posted:

it’s not profitable on a mass level and it’s harder to distribute books so capital doesn’t care about making celebrities out of authors because you can’t sell ip rights based on who wrote it

which is not to say people don’t care about lit or writing, it’s just that when it goes viral it tends to supersede the author. like that cat person short story from a couple years back: could you name the author without looking it up? but we still have popular fiction, and not just ya. it’s just the authors aren’t celebrated figures anymore

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/MaskedDancerFOX/status/1349748173535911943?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dreylad posted:

It's totally aesthetics-as-morality and it's absolutely nuts. I hate to even bring it up, but the Star Wars movies encapsulate the whole experience from a variety of people of different uh, ideological persuasions let's say.

Saw Gerrera did nothing wrong