Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

isaboo posted:

aw that sucks.

The Saved By the Bell reboot that was recently released isn't terrible once it finds its groove. it is really weird though. A.C. Slater as a loser owns.

the main actress is bad though and her use of the Zach time stop maneuver was horrible

Diamond did a guest appearance on Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell, which was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suXZVVGKrHU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ted Lasso is as delightful as everyone says. It reached out to my cold black heart.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Does the whole season use the 50's sitcom gimmick or is that just the pilot or something and then the rest is something else entirely?

It's meant to progress through different kinds of sitcom -- I Love Lucy, Bewitched, etc. -- and the trailers make it pretty clear that it's a variation on the "stuck in a Sitcom" episode type, rather than just some thematic weirdness.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's meant to progress through different kinds of sitcom -- I Love Lucy, Bewitched, etc. -- and the trailers make it pretty clear that it's a variation on the "stuck in a Sitcom" episode type, rather than just some thematic weirdness.

Oh god.

Oh no.

That probably means a Big Bang Theory episode before the end :yikes:.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Modern multi-cam sitcoms have zero defining traits or style, so if the gimmick extends long enough for a pastiche of 00s-20s shows I’d expect a single-cam The Office kind of thing instead.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Waiting for the Sorkin episode

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Episode 1 of WandaVision fuckin’ nails the 50’s sitcom aesthetic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gonz posted:

Episode 1 of WandaVision fuckin’ nails the 50’s sitcom aesthetic.

The Bewitched intro in episode 2 is just perfect.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Bewitched intro in episode 2 is just perfect.

It sure as hell was; I like the show thus far. Whomever does the costuming and set design deserves an award.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Modern multi-cam sitcoms have zero defining traits or style, so if the gimmick extends long enough for a pastiche of 00s-20s shows I’d expect a single-cam The Office kind of thing instead.

From the trailers it looks like the modern era one is probably based on Modern Family

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really enjoyed the first episode of WandaVision, very funny pastiche. Almost wish it hadn’t had that very final moment, tbh.

I groaned when I saw a tweet describing it as ‘Lynchian’ but honestly that one part where Fred Melamed is choking for ages while his wife’s yelling at him to stop it definitely had that vibe down.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh my God, that phrenology joke on this week's Dickinson.

Rapidly becoming The Dickinson's.

If WandaVision made an epsiode about the comedy stories we tell these days, will the stories be some parody of Dickson, The Detour, Wrecked, Kimmy Schmidt, Girls. I.e. stupid people being very genre and dramatic.

Or will it be something else?

Goddamit, this is all Weed's fault. It's one of the most important comedies because it kicked off the entire "comedy but DRAMATIC" genre.

"If you call me Mother one more time I'm going to bury us in this hole!"

Edit: is it just me, or is Finn Jones the best most excellent Lizard Person on Dickinson, a show which you all watch. It's probably because he still can't act.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 15, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
was Paul Bettany always this funny because seriously he’s hilarious in this poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

was Paul Bettany always this funny because seriously he’s hilarious in this poo poo

Yes. Watch A Knight's Tale.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I groaned when I saw a tweet describing it as ‘Lynchian’

All TV/movie commentators need to be banned from saying "a love letter to [x genre]" or "a modern day fairytale". Under no circumstances is this OK.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I haven't seen it but isn't Zach some kind of Orange County wealthy conservative now. Sounds perfect and they get it.

Yes. Or the most limousine liberal, I don't think his politics were ever explaind beyond being only self-interested and vain, which doesn't really narrow it down! But I think they were going for the same kind of thing as with Slater being the loser, Zach's amoral selfishness led him to become gov basically because of one of his schemes and everyone is miserable because he's in over his head - he's a poo poo husband, father, and governor basically. They do try to make him do the right thing in the end though, because it's still saved by the bell.

But this is a pretty small part of the show as Zach is barely in it - it's mostly his spoiled, scheming, seemingly incapable of empathy (but trying to change) son that idolizes Zach. It's weird. Like, Zach and Kelly are just awful parents, it's perfect.

A lot of that show is pretty out there, but it works for the most part.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Ted Lasso is as delightful as everyone says. It reached out to my cold black heart.

Ted Lasso rules - I’ve been too preoccupied to try to come up with a top 10 but that’s for sure a contender for one of the top spots

bou
Aug 3, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Snowpiecer season 2 soon.

:stwoon: :getin:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sumo posted:

Ted Lasso rules - I’ve been too preoccupied to try to come up with a top 10 but that’s for sure a contender for one of the top spots

There is still time!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

Really enjoyed the first episode of WandaVision, very funny pastiche. Almost wish it hadn’t had that very final moment, tbh.

I groaned when I saw a tweet describing it as ‘Lynchian’ but honestly that one part where Fred Melamed is choking for ages while his wife’s yelling at him to stop it definitely had that vibe down.

I mean its not Lynchian because I can actually kind of guess at what's happening and do expect to get an answer that makes sense.

Its definitely doing a good job early of being weird and random but with the hints of an explanation to come.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This featurette clearly has a modern single-cam shot at 1:21:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzqDoEHS08

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The one where Hahn is in some super 80s-lookin outfit?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Literally right after that where Wanda is talking directly to the camera.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haha oops, I skimmed through and thought that was one of the BTS bits

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Well this sounds nuts :stare: from the Queen's Gambit creator:

The book is fantastic but incredibly bleak. Part of its bleakness is that its depiction of the 2020s kind of are spot in, in that national space programs are secondary to private companies interested in asteroid mining, and that a major Middle Eastern country got mired in an endless civil war (though in the novel it's Turkey, not Syria).

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Chairman Capone posted:

The book is fantastic but incredibly bleak. Part of its bleakness is that its depiction of the 2020s kind of are spot in, in that national space programs are secondary to private companies interested in asteroid mining, and that a major Middle Eastern country got mired in an endless civil war (though in the novel it's Turkey, not Syria).

Apropos of nothing but now I'm imagining a big budget Netflix series adaptation of A Canticle For Leibowitz

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I haven't watched WandaVision yet but since the director also directed something like 40 episodes of Always Sunny, I'm holding out hope for an Always Sunny-esque segment. Although, the commercials make it look like the show is riffing on the "perfect TV family", so maybe not.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I've got a scene from some show on the tip of my tongue and it's bugging me.

A woman has something very traumatic happen to her, and everyone knows about it. She's out of work for a long time but eventually goes back to work as a real estate agent. She's showing a house to a couple and it becomes clear that they have no interest in the house and are only there to gawk at "the _____ lady" because they're truecrime fans or something. She realizes this and calls them out.

Sound familiar?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I swear it does or you have tricked mind into thinking I have watched that. Now I have to know.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

El Jeffe posted:

I've got a scene from some show on the tip of my tongue and it's bugging me.

A woman has something very traumatic happen to her, and everyone knows about it. She's out of work for a long time but eventually goes back to work as a real estate agent. She's showing a house to a couple and it becomes clear that they have no interest in the house and are only there to gawk at "the _____ lady" because they're truecrime fans or something. She realizes this and calls them out.

Sound familiar?

American Horror Story 1984? no im remembering things muddy

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I asked somewhere else and someone solved it, it was The Outsider.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yes it was. I do remember that exact scene you are talking about now.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
If nothing else, Wandavision gets props for being a weird as hell product. I mean if you knew nothing about it and just click on it on Disney plus you'll be like "what"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the recap for Disenchantment part 2 and I truly did not remember a single god drat second of it so maybe I should drop it

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
More like Matt Groaning

Edit: the way you feel about Pratchett is how I feel about Groening lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Groening doesn’t really have a creepy insufferable cult around him though

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I assure you they exist. More Futurama cult than Groening specifically I guess

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched the recap for Disenchantment part 2 and I truly did not remember a single god drat second of it so maybe I should drop it

I had to think about it for a minute, but it came to me. Disenchantment isn't great. Still, I didn't know there was a new season out, so thanks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simone Magus posted:

I assure you they exist. More Futurama cult than Groening specifically I guess

Groening started sucking after he sold out to Fox man, I only read Life in Hell with those excellently drawn one-eared rabbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Life In Hell probably has better political and social commentary than Pratchett’s work tbh