Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fart simpson posted:

im paying settlers of catan next week with some friends for the first time in ten years

i dropped that one like a fat beat at a warehouse rave years ago, but the best advice i can give you on that one: get everyone to agree to a time limit on the trade phase before you begin. nothing kills that game faster than some sad sack going around and around the table for ten minutes every turn because they have five wood but really need a sheep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i want to play agricola but it's too intimidating for new players

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Chris Knight posted:

I almost bought an expensive board game because I played it once a couple years ago and never got too in depth with it and it seemed like fun, then remembered a) COVID, and b) I probably don't have enough friends nearby to play it properly :(

which game

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my commander (magic cards) playgroup has been getting it done over webcam for awhile now. we're all parents so we don't play until after kiddos' bedtimes and schedule like two weeks in advance lol

there's a site that we use which tracks everything and can even id cards on camera and stuff, it's super useful. so good in fact that the startup who was developing it got bought out by wizards of the coast

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my commander (magic cards) playgroup has been getting it done over webcam for awhile now. we're all parents so we don't play until after kiddos' bedtimes and schedule like two weeks in advance lol

there's a site that we use which tracks everything and can even id cards on camera and stuff, it's super useful. so good in fact that the startup who was developing it got bought out by wizards of the coast

lmao if your children stay asleep. smdh.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh yeah the one that just had her first bday has been reliably waking up around 1:30-2am lately, we've gotta sleep train her all over again

not my problem tho because i cannot lactate

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
our littlest turned into a biter around his first birthday so night nursing is a no go. bummer too.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i want to play agricola but it's too intimidating for new players

I actually just bought the 2-player version on a whim for me and my wife. The instructions made it seem not too hateful, is it worse than I'm thinking?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Midjack posted:

i dropped that one like a fat beat at a warehouse rave years ago, but the best advice i can give you on that one: get everyone to agree to a time limit on the trade phase before you begin. nothing kills that game faster than some sad sack going around and around the table for ten minutes every turn because they have five wood but really need a sheep.

what if i want to be the sad sack

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i played carcassone with the same group of people a month ago and it was fun

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

more like ball sack

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

shoeberto posted:

I actually just bought the 2-player version on a whim for me and my wife. The instructions made it seem not too hateful, is it worse than I'm thinking?
every boardgame has a ton of videos online with people explaining the rules and showing you how to set it up and how a typical turn plays and so on

just hit youtube and let some overly enthusiastic beardo teach you the game

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

shoeberto posted:

regular agricola is fine if yall like that kind of game. all creatures great and small isn't gonna. overwhelm anybody

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

I was under the impression that a lot of degrees like law or medicine or even american pharmacy are postgrad degrees only ..

have I not been misinformed?

oh look at this .. answers my question. thanks

Yes, in the US generally all those things are now graduate professional programs

They used to have undergraduate pharmacists but now that’s pretty much similar to becoming a physician, much to the chagrin of some physicians who love to lord over pharmacists

I think there are some states that will let anyone sit the bar though? JD or no, but I might be wrong on that

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
scythe. turns out there's a computer version on steam!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fart simpson posted:

you would be a terrible person in that case but if that’s how your group works then knock yourself out i guess.

Chris Knight posted:

neat game. shame about 100% of the art being plagiarized.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It was really funny seeing the cards and then going "hey isn't that dude the antagonist/frenemy from the Captain America movies?"

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

anyone played the steam version? i've been pretty interested ever since i saw it while christmas shopping for my brother a couple of years ago

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

my friend bought that one, i remember it being super expensive and not that deep in reality

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just learned the local pub has a cursed TV set in the basement. The owner has given it to two punters and they've both died.

He wouldn't give it to me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

agricola isn’t like insanely complicated a game, it’s just that it can be hard to sell it to new players like “hey ive got this cool game to play, we’re all going to be a subsistence farmer in 19th century germany”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i used to play diplomacy and squad leader with my board game friends back in college. wish i had people to play with again but those need a pretty special group of people imo

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

fart simpson posted:

i used to play diplomacy and squad leader with my board game friends back in college. wish i had people to play with again but those need a pretty special group of people imo

One of my wife's grad school friends did a Diplomacy party, including requiring costumes, and it was amazing. I sucked at it though and was taken out first. Still had a lot of fun.

jesus WEP posted:

agricola isn’t like insanely complicated a game, it’s just that it can be hard to sell it to new players like “hey ive got this cool game to play, we’re all going to be a subsistence farmer in 19th century germany”

tbh I plan to just give my wife a summary of "Stardew Valley but a board game"

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

what do you mean that sounds fun as hell.

i got the intro version of gloom haven a while back but my wife and i have not yet played it. eventually we’ll get in-lazy im sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gloomhaven: jaws of the lion is cool and regular gloomhaven would be vastly improved by just being a book of maps instead of tiles.

we've been playing wingspan which is pretty easy to learn and really well-produced, though maybe lacking in depth and player interaction.

i picked up root on ios and that seems cool

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
based on glowing reviews i picked up the new dune:imperium game last week and am currently working my way through the rulebook

curious to see how it compares to the great 1970s dune boardgame

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah i want to get jaws of the lion but its not in stock anywhere in the uk or ireland as far as i can see

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Our European History teacher in high school loved Diplomacy, had the whole class play a huge game and it actually counted a bit towards your grade.

Fuckin' trounced everybody, betraying one gullible close friend after another :twisted:

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
i went into my cubicle for the first time since March because my power went out at home.

it was loving weird

i ate like 5 bags of chips from the vending machine then went home after 2 hours

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Scud Hansen posted:

i went into my cubicle for the first time since March because my power went out at home.

it was loving weird

i ate like 5 bags of chips from the vending machine then went home after 2 hours

sounds like a normal day at the office to me

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

i played carcassone with the same group of people a month ago and it was fun

I love this game a lot, we actually played last night. it’s quite fun even with just two players.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

im so tired of the boardgame-industrial complex

i see a wall of boardgames at somebodys house in the beforetimes at a party and I’m resigned that there goes the rest of the night ; at least if somebody has a fuckin funko shrine im not going to spend an hour loving with an elaborate set of rules and a million pieces

six people passing an extremely verbose manual for half an hour to start, then an hour in you find out the thing u didn’t understand in the rules means u did it all wrong, you moron

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i've never cared for board games really, or even card games much for the above reason. i don't want to learn a bunch of poo poo to move a tophat around a spiral into a train engine once.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

i've never cared for board games really, or even card games much for the above reason. i don't want to learn a bunch of poo poo to move a tophat around a spiral into a train engine once.

so you're more into larping then

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like simple board games and card games and stuff. stuff where you have maybe like a board, some tokens, some cards, and a piece. done.

the ones with 1000 pieces, all different, eight different things to do on every turn and a rulebook the size of a dictionary strike me as like the atomic hot sauce / hop monster IPAs of the board game world. whoever came up with it realized that making the rules a little more complex adds some value so therefore MORE RULES AND LITTLE PAPER BITS means MORE FUN

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
that's why ticket to ride is so good

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i like empire builder bc you get to use crayons

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i think if there's a game board that's been knocked off the table more than monopoly, it's risk. 6 hours of moving little pawns around a map while one rear end in a top hat squats in australia, woohoo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

i think if there's a game board that's been knocked off the table more than monopoly, it's risk. 6 hours of moving little pawns around a map while one rear end in a top hat squats in australia, woohoo

the southern hemisphere is key to risk victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i also enjoyed axis & allies back when i was in middle school but i think these days it would be difficult to find someone who wanted to play as the nazis.

e: actually no it wouldn't be difficult at all. you just really wouldn't want to play with that person