Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Anime Store Adventure posted:

There's probably a thread for this somewhere else but I'd be interested to know too.

I just searched the key words RTX 3000 on new egg. Anything in stock will be at the top of the list.

I have a question about flight planning. I normally just blast through any restricted/prohibited airspaces just to save time and keep things simple. If I start using Vatsim will I have to plan around all this orange restricted space?

This is my next flight. For some reason the Indian air force needs all the airspace from the ground to unlimited in the middle of my path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

2Jets posted:

I just searched the key words RTX 3000 on new egg. Anything in stock will be at the top of the list.

Then that is just absurdly lucky on your part lmao

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Then that is just absurdly lucky on your part lmao

Yeah they stay in stock there on Newegg for like 10 seconds. I tried for weeks with a stock alerts discord and finally got one last week that arrived a couple days ago (3080) from Best Buy. The improvement over the 2080 is enough that I can turn up some graphical options in VR in this game but still have to limit it to 30FPS with reprojection (quest 2)

It’s smooth though and doesn’t “feel” like 30FPS due to the reprojection. It’s pretty nice.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

2Jets posted:

I have a question about flight planning. I normally just blast through any restricted/prohibited airspaces just to save time and keep things simple. If I start using Vatsim will I have to plan around all this orange restricted space?

No one on VATSIM, especially India is going to care.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does VATSIM even have controllers operating in India?

I don't know Indian air traffic regulations, but in many countries (including the USA) the restricted areas have specific operating hours outside of which you can fly through the airspace. Only a few of the zones are closed 100% of the time -- e.g. Area 51 or the airspace over the White House.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know Indian air traffic regulations, but in many countries (including the USA) the restricted areas have specific operating hours outside of which you can fly through the airspace. Only a few of the zones are closed 100% of the time -- e.g. Area 51 or the airspace over the White House.

I mostly fly in the USA but just happen to be crossing India now as I'm flying around the world. I just thought it would be fun to try Vatsim but I dont know how seriously they take the game. Looking at the map now I see 2 aircraft in the Navada restricted space. One of them is on the ground at area 51. I guess I'll see what happens.

This is my route so far. I'm doing this in the DA40NGX. Its a good little plane and works well with the G1000 mod.

2Jets fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 15, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

2Jets posted:

You should buy a lottery ticket.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
I did it my way.

I think I'll go get that lottery ticket.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

In the US, Prohibited areas (of which there are comparatively few, and tend to be physically smallish,) are generally permanent. Restricted (over land) and Warning (over the ocean) airspace is sterile when active, with no non-participating aircraft permitted. The US also uses Military Operating Areas, commonly referred to as MOAs which IFR aircraft are separated from, but through which VFR traffic is permitted to operate. Warning areas, restricted areas, and MOAs are all only generally active when they’re actually being used, and are released to civilian traffic otherwise.

After 9/11, the US also sprouted quite a few TFRs (Temporary Flight Restriction) that are now old enough to vote. This is dumb, but it’s how the security apparati have gotten around the requirements for public review when creating new Prohibited airspace.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

2Jets posted:

I did it my way.

I think I'll go get that lottery ticket.

Does using a modded airplane not allow you to qualify for this? I've flown so many A320 flights that should qualify for this but not gotten it yet, but I use the FBW mod.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shipon posted:

Does using a modded airplane not allow you to qualify for this? I've flown so many A320 flights that should qualify for this but not gotten it yet, but I use the FBW mod.

I got one of the taxing-related achievements while flying around Alaska in the Caravan.

The achievements are a bit buggy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All of the achievements are bugged to poo poo. I got a bunch of Airbus-related ones and I still haven't even loaded up that plane.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
Thanks for the help MrYenko. IRL it's not a big deal. I used to fly out of an airport that was in a TFR for VIP movement a lot. All I had to do was file a flight plan and be in communication with ATC. I cant find any information about the restricted airspace I was flying through in the sim other than it's a missle launch site and I dont see any harm in going through it since I wont shut down a pretend military exercise or get killed.

Shipon, I dont know. I have done that achievement 10 times now, but it never triggered before. I think it's a FS bug rather than a mod issue.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sagebrush posted:

All of the achievements are bugged to poo poo. I got a bunch of Airbus-related ones and I still haven't even loaded up that plane.

I got the refueling achievement and the push-back achievement before ever doing either and I haven't even done the latter.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

sigher posted:

I got the refueling achievement and the push-back achievement before ever doing either and I haven't even done the latter.

On the other hand, I flew the entire Sierra Nevada bush trip without using any assistance and at the end I didn’t get the achievement :confuoot:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I just got My Way moments ago with the A32NX (latest dev)

Before going into any flight, go into the options menu and set the assistance to real-to-life.

In the menu I planned a VFR Direct flight from Wichita KICT and chose gate 3 (starting cold and dark) and to Colorado Springs KCOS gate 6. I took note that the game wanted me to land on 35R at KCOS.

The flight loads, the checklist and the ATC menus will be open. DO NOT CLOSE THEM. make them small but DO NOT close them at any time. You don't need to do anything with the checklist. I did the normal cold and dark startup routine, and in the MCDU, chose the ILS 35R arrival via DRAKE.

I requested taxi clearance departing straight out. It gave me a path to take off on runway 1L (very freaking far).

Do not delegate anything to the copilot.

During the flight, I requested flight following, and changed frequencies when ATC told me to.

When I was about 30 miles from DRAKE, I tuned into Colorado Springs Tower via the [AIRPORTS CLOSEST TO YOU] part of the ATC menu and requested a full-stop landing. ATC gave me a left-base 35R approach.

I let the autopilot fly the ILS procedure around the BRK radial at 8100ft. The activated APPR mode, after the last radial waypoint, and it caught the localizer. Put the gear and flaps out and it caught the glideslope. 200ft off the ground, I disconnected the autopilot and landed.

I exited the runway at taxiway E4 through the most complicated clusterfuck of an intersection, tuned to ground, and taxied to the terminal, gate 6. When I got to the gate, there was nothing there. No trucks, no man with glowsticks, nothing. I parked at some sort of position that made sense. I opened the menu and requested taxi to parking. ATC said taxi to gate 6 via taxiway, and after I read it back, the jetway magically connected to the aircraft. I shut down the engines, and the batteries, and the game still did not go to the menu by itself like it normally does. I exited to the main menu manually. When I got to the menu, I could see that I got the achievement. It shows in Steam too.

TL;DR: Set assistance to true-to-life and then don't close the ATC or checklist windows for any reason.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
I actually closed both the ATC and check list windows. I turned off all ground traffic so the only people on the airport are the tug driver and the marshal. Its easier to find your parking space that way.
What was really wierd was the airport i landed at had yellow Xs on on the only runway like it was closed but its not closed on any of the maps and ATC cleared me to land. Must be another FS bug. VEJH is listed as open to the public. I was wrong. One end of the runway is clearly marked as closed. I didn't expect that.

2Jets fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 16, 2021

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
Good lord this is so much nicer in VR. Landing the drat plane is so much better when you're not having to choose between looking straight out the front or pressing the hat switch to look straight out the side whilst being very much too low to be able to see out over the nose, or just slightly too low if you press the change view button at the right time... when you can just look out the plane like a normal person lining up for your final approach and judging when to flare becomes natural and intuitive instead of something you can never get quite right. You actually start to get a feel for flying the plane. It's great. Flying the sim is so much more enjoyable.

The curse of it though is that it's really making me want a new PC with a GPU that humans can't actually buy yet :(

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

is this the thread for talking about how awesome Project Wingman is

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

stinky ox posted:

Good lord this is so much nicer in VR. Landing the drat plane is so much better when you're not having to choose between looking straight out the front or pressing the hat switch to look straight out the side whilst being very much too low to be able to see out over the nose, or just slightly too low if you press the change view button at the right time... when you can just look out the plane like a normal person lining up for your final approach and judging when to flare becomes natural and intuitive instead of something you can never get quite right. You actually start to get a feel for flying the plane. It's great. Flying the sim is so much more enjoyable.

The curse of it though is that it's really making me want a new PC with a GPU that humans can't actually buy yet :(

If it makes you feel better I gained, at best 30% better performance at cruise altitude going from a 1080Ti to a 3090, with being lower to the ground in a city improving even less. So much of this is CPU bound at this point.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shipon posted:

If it makes you feel better I gained, at best 30% better performance at cruise altitude going from a 1080Ti to a 3090, with being lower to the ground in a city improving even less. So much of this is CPU bound at this point.

Experiencing basically the same thing with a 9900k/3080. There are definite improvements in spots (mainly giving headroom to enable more eye candy) but I landed at Seattle around 5 PM local time tonight in a 172 and as soon as I was even near the metro area the frame rate drops to the 20s and fell even further on approach. It was a slideshow reminiscent of the old dos versions.

Edit: I turned off AI traffic and that made all the difference. Smooth as butter everywhere now. There’s still online players around everywhere, just not streaming live flights into the world anymore brought my frames back above the reprojection threshold.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 17, 2021

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

VostokProgram posted:

Ace Combat 7 thread is also the PW thread

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

stinky ox posted:

You'd get more performance back by ditching VR and using TrackIR instead.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
LOL if anyone can go back to 2D from VR even if performance is horrendous.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

stinky ox posted:

VR in a fighter plane is wild. You don't appreciate how tiny the F-16's cockpit is when you play with a monitor. With the VR headset everything is RIGHT THERE.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

i am kiss u now posted:

Hi. It's pretty easy if you're running a Rift CV1 and you can't even read the gauges on top of it running like hammered rear end with interpolation artifacts everywhere.

Anyway, if the main (practical) benefit you're getting out of VR is head tracking, there are waaaaaay cheaper and less demanding ways to get that.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

i am kiss u now posted:

I'm sure my simming would change a lot if I got VR.

My normal flight now:
1) Take off
2) Put autopilot on
3) Tab out and watch youtube and browse the web
4) Look at sights in the sim every now and then
5) Land

With VR the sim would get full attention and autopilot would be out of the question because it would be boring to just look at the VR cockpit without doing the actual flying.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If I were to do long range flights, definitely not in VR, but scooting around random populated areas like a stunt pilot, hell yea. That's also why I want jet fighters.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's also why I want jet fighters.

The MB-339 is a hoot, if being a subsonic trainer not that's that much bigger than a Cessna 172 doesn't turn you off.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Helter Skelter posted:

Hi. It's pretty easy if you're running a Rift CV1 and you can't even read the gauges on top of it running like hammered rear end with interpolation artifacts everywhere.

Anyway, if the main (practical) benefit you're getting out of VR is head tracking, there are waaaaaay cheaper and less demanding ways to get that.

Maybe the main practical benefit you’re getting out of VR is head tracking but we don’t all have ancient headsets. All of my instruments are clear. There’s a proper sense of scale and depth. It’s also cool as gently caress.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I see the anti-VR luddites still take pride in not using it.

Hello yes, I didn’t find Red Dead 2 to be that great looking on my 15” 640x480 CRT, and I don’t get the fuss.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

GutBomb posted:

Maybe the main practical benefit you’re getting out of VR is head tracking but we don’t all have ancient headsets. All of my instruments are clear. There’s a proper sense of scale and depth. It’s also cool as gently caress.

No, the main practical benefit of VR for me is Beat Saber. I have TrackIR for head tracking in FS2020.

I'm not making GBS threads on VR. I enjoy VR quite a bit, just not in FS2020. Part of that is my old-rear end Rift, but part of that is lovely performance on FS2020's part. ASW can only go so far.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 17, 2021

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I'm starting to think there's something poo poo about the VR implementation for anyone not using WMR because it seems like 100% of people bitching about VR performance are steamvr/oculus users. Meanwhile I'm over here on WMR with pretty good performance having a blast.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

IL-2 has good VR performance if you want to fly something small+fast+agile. BF-109s are like the F-16 in terms of being way smaller than they appeared when playing through a monitor. Gunfire wizzing by your cockpit is always a trip.

It goes on sale pretty often, so set it on a wishlist and you should be able to get a bunch of planes for $15.

DCS has much poorer VR performance unfortunately, but it has super-sonic jets and helicopters (AH-64D is coming out this year!!!). It's technically free-to-play but the only free planes are the de-fanged training version of the P-51 and a Russian ground-pounder without a clickable cockpit (SU-25T). Sometimes they have promotions where they set all the pay planes as free for a couple weeks so if you can, try before you buy.

Funny enough, VR makes mid-air refueling, close formation flying, and carrier landing a ton easier too.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

As much as I love vr and flight sims. I think it still needs a way to “see” your real hotas in the virtual world

That was my biggest problem with elite was the multitude of buttons to push and not being able to see where my hand was in relation to the physical hotas

I’m sure with enough time on it you’d have a very good muscle memory though

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Blue On Blue posted:

As much as I love vr and flight sims. I think it still needs a way to “see” your real hotas in the virtual world

That was my biggest problem with elite was the multitude of buttons to push and not being able to see where my hand was in relation to the physical hotas

What I did for Elite was make a pdf with a pic of my hotas and all the binds labeled, and just had that as a virtual window in my cockpit until muscle memory took over. Made it easy to use as a reference without needing to pull the headset off.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm a guy who bought an IR tracker after getting into flight sims with VR first.

FS2020 definitely has some intense performance problems with SteamVR/Oculus, and yeah: motion smoothing can only do so much, even after the tweaks from That One Thread™. I can get IL-2 to run at 80 Hz (Rift S) and it's an extremely pleasing experience - Trillhouse is right, it's a lot of fun to fly something like a Mustang after Cessnas and Beechcraft. But I'm pretty positive my first 20 hours in FS2020 were 80% adjusting settings and waiting for the game to restart after it crashed every other time I changed to VR mode, and I only kind of have it running at 40 Hz with some meager settings. VR's still fun and immersive, but the game looks so loving good at max on a monitor anyway that I accept the trade off depending on my mood.

Of course the immersion and scale in VR is unbeatable. And honestly, one of the main reasons I picked up the head tracker too is simply that it's hard for me to sit stoned in my headset at night. My eyes dry out. But it was so nice to see the game running well that I wound up using it a little more than I thought I would.

I love my Rift S, and I love my IR tracker. I'm worried any of this sounds like I'm complaining, but really no! I'm excited to see what the supposed fix for SteamVR performance in the next Nvidia drivers does for me. I really want to do more VR in FS2020, and I'll put up with the dryness if I could get it to run a little more consistently.

EDIT - Oh, and just as a place to put this since the IL-2 thread sees periodic activity: the World War I module for IL-2, Flying Circus, is ridiculous in VR. Sitting on a loving lawn chair in a wooden box, trying to avoid blowing up the engine three feet in front of you while getting shot at by just...the guy you can clearly see sitting in another plane like 50 feet behind you. It's harrowing all the way.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 17, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Blue On Blue posted:

Elite doesn't have that many buttons, you can do a lot through looking at the various dashboards and a POV hat rather than memorising their hotkeys.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

VostokProgram posted:

It's still puzzling to me that some dipshit in the VR thread took issue with me wanting to play that game with a HOTAS (for which the game touts its support) because "it's a gamepad game" and you're not allowed to use a joystick for an airplane unless it's a simulator. Like I was tarnishing the integrity of the input device, or some poo poo.

The VR thread is no stranger to arbitrary gamer nonsense, but that was particularly :psyduck: to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Shine posted:

It's still puzzling to me that some dipshit in the VR thread took issue with me wanting to play that game with a HOTAS (for which the game touts its support) because "it's a gamepad game" and you're not allowed to use a joystick for an airplane unless it's a simulator. Like I was tarnishing the integrity of the input device, or some poo poo.

The VR thread is no stranger to arbitrary gamer nonsense, but that was particularly :psyduck: to me.

The part that's even funnier is that a gamepad is just two lovely little joysticks that also make you have to decide whether you want to push buttons or fly at any given moment