Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squirrel Knight
Nov 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
ITT talk about doing horrible things with tactical vehicles.

Circa 2006 in Grafenwöhr: I achieved 55+ MPH in an M113. Not the smartest nor bravest thing I have ever done, but feel like I should post (brag) about it. Not going to claim 60, but it was certainly cleanly over 55 MPH. I was a 19K so not going to impress me if you have driven an Abrams up to the governed speed. 55 sounds easy, but in a crapped out 113 that took nearly 10 minutes to achieve it, it was something to experience. I could barely talk into my CVC because of how bad the track was buffeting side to side. Was a humble man and didn't set out to break most stupid speed record that day, but the 113 was so crappy it couldn't keep up with a even more ghetto 5 ton so we got lost going to the rang because we had no map and decided to retreat back to the wash rack. She held together, I made the right turn towards the Grafenwöhr wash rack and then BOOM I had no control. After about a 20 second argument with the mostly Spanish speaking TC, we determined I had no control, but did not break track. Turned out our mechanics (actually, just 1 who was a Neanderthal) had left too of short bolts in the propeller shafts that had sheared off; I knew to check the tightness before driving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That sounds like fun.

I liked to drive destroyers during maneuvering exercises because you can get some 20 degree turns with ease.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flank speed on an aircraft carrier is on par with skydiving as an exercise on attempting to understand the possibilities of physics in real-time of an extreme sensory experience.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I got a HMMVW up to "I" Miles per hour.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Flank speed on an aircraft carrier is on par with skydiving as an exercise on attempting to understand the possibilities of physics in real-time of an extreme sensory experience.

This is one thing I'd love to experience

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How fast did the mobsteryacht go?

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

That sounds like fun.

I liked to drive destroyers during maneuvering exercises because you can get some 20 degree turns with ease.

I did 40+ kts in the LCS simulator

Then we attempted a full power run in person and lost multiple engines before even getting to 30.

This was awhile ago so I’d like to think they’re better now

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"We strapped some rockets to the bottom of the Empire State Building and sent it into space" type poo poo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Standby for heavy rolls as the ship comes about.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Flank speed at test depth on a sub is really fun until you put even a micron of thought into it and realize just how quick everyone could eat poo poo.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Standby for heavy rolls as the ship comes about.

I think we skipped both high-speed turn evolutions during workups for both deployments. I know we prepped for it both times but the evolutions got cancelled. Little disappointed I missed out on those. I think we only did flank once when I was out of my rack. I was on mid-watch in CDC in 5th Fleet during some sort of simulated scenario. I remember it happening while I was in bed a couple of times. My brain while I was on watch when we did it was basically :stonk:

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 17, 2021

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ASAPI posted:

I got a HMMVW up to "I" Miles per hour.

My memory might be faulty but I'm pretty sure I've had a HMMWV up to 70+ on the freeway before. Either an M1152 up armored or a soft top heavy variant (M1097 I think?).. Also I completely spun an uparmored Trojan (million dollar+ vehicle that was on my hand receipt) on ice and miraculously managed to not hit anything:

That thing was grotesquely overweight and handled like absolute dogshit on an uparmor chassis. :q:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

some taliban tried to escape from a firefight on a bike and a dude with a mineroller got a confirmed kill by just running them over

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I seem to remember some humvees had 4 speed autos, usually the ones with 6.5l turbodiesels. Standard fare M998s came with 6.2l NA diesels and a 3 speed auto that topped out about 65mph, screaming at the gods to free it from its' misery. Being a GM product, they upgraded the drivetrain but went "meh" when it came to the suspension for poo poo like that comms truck, which makes everything feel floaty unless you're braking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I seem to remember some humvees had 4 speed autos, usually the ones with 6.5l turbodiesels. Standard fare M998s came with 6.2l NA diesels and a 3 speed auto that topped out about 65mph, screaming at the gods to free it from its' misery. Being a GM product, they upgraded the drivetrain but went "meh" when it came to the suspension for poo poo like that comms truck, which makes everything feel floaty unless you're braking.

Yeah the 6.5 came with an option 4 speed w/overdrive.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

topped out about 65mph, screaming at the gods to free it from its' misery

Nothing like a five ton trying to get up a PA mountainside highway barely making 45. I've never heard an engine scream like I did in the Army.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I accidentally got a fully combat loaded TOW gun truck completely airborne, but that's about it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Watched a Bandit 2590 tracked chipper (which weighs like twenty tons) sail down a hillside end over end on a fire once. I've never been so glad to not be the guy who just cost someone northwards of $100k.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My first field exercise in Korea, I was driving with my company CO riding TC in a M1078. It was already weird, but less than two miles outside the gate at Humphreys, I was driving through a green light when a minivan cut off the truck in front of us. I braked and pulled right, slamming the battery box into a single axle utility trailer being dragged by another M1078 in the convoy. Left the truck running, checked the damage, drove all the way up to the training area in area 1 without a problem. Replaced the batteries the next morning.

So a month goes by and I'm getting my talking to about the accident from the battalion motor sergeant. Turns out the trailer "wasn't on the property books" and that the batteries weren't a concern because there was an overstock. They never took a dime, and then they made me a wrecker operator.

When I got to Campbell, my motor sergeant added every wheeled vehicle in the battalion to my license. My license was hilariously stacked by the time I left. Forklifts, HETs, M915s, old school deuce and halfs, gators, if a go kart was in the ulls box, it was on my license. No track though, because we didn't have track. It was one of those logical arguments that the mechanics should be licensed to use anything they have to fix. This mostly leads to a license with 7 variants of humvee, 6 variants of MTV, a couple HEMTTs, a couple M915s, a bunch of old deuces and 5 tons, so it was maybe a dozen vehicles but a lot of variants. Because driving any other humvee is different how from an M998?

Oh army, your ridiculous beauracratic logic is beyond me.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

IMO the soft top M1097 was the most fun to drive. Lighter & with a more powerful engine it seemed, no doors, it always felt like it flew, at least as far as HMMWV can.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

I once watched my Platoon Sergeant lose a race against one of his own road wheels.

It snapped off at the hub while he was doing about 25mph on a trail. When it broke free it just kinda rolled next to his tank and took a funny hop. That hop not only alerted him to the issue but put the road wheel in the lead.

It was a clapped out tank at NTC. Turns out the suspension arm where the road wheel attaches had a crack about halfway across the hub.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Flying_Crab posted:

My memory might be faulty but I'm pretty sure I've had a HMMWV up to 70+ on the freeway before. Either an M1152 up armored or a soft top heavy variant (M1097 I think?).. Also I completely spun an uparmored Trojan (million dollar+ vehicle that was on my hand receipt) on ice and miraculously managed to not hit anything:

That thing was grotesquely overweight and handled like absolute dogshit on an uparmor chassis. :q:

Ha! If you remove the “shelter” from that Phoenix terminal you can get some speed! Get one on top of a mountain and head downhill. It feels like you are going to the moon. Ours had some old busted speedometer, it said “miles per hour” on the bottom and the needle would bury itself. Looking back we were probably only doing 30, but it felt fast and the speedometer said it was fast.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

When I was in a reserve unit as an ROTC cadet I was put in the drivers seat of an M998 going to Picatinny Arsenal from Allentown PA. No military license, had never driven a Humvee before. Pretty sure the NCO I was with just didn’t feel like driving.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

How fast did the mobsteryacht go?

Think the fastest i saw was 14kts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I once drove a stryker at full throttle in Iraq until the turbo caught fire, everyone ran out like it was gonna explode or something