Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CeeJee posted:

10: Beforeigners

That was 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hobbes posted:

2- Hilda:
Hilda is about as warm a blanket of a show you could ever hope to find to cuddle up to. Pretty amazing discipline in its use of color palette too that I wish more animated shows would take a lesson from.

This show came out in 2018.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

This show came out in 2018.

There was a new season this year?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

There was a new season this year?

What!!! They said it was coming in 2021!

E: Excuse me I'll be back in 13 episodes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lurdiak posted:

It was like 2 weeks ago or something, I hadn't even heard it was renewed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Not going to lie most of what I watched in the hell year were PBS Digital Studios shows
10 Quinton Reviews: Quinton has climbed up my list of youtubers after he got played enough times on goonami and I think he's kind of a weird throwback to internet reviewers, but is 100% less toxic and in retrospect cringe.
9It's Lit: Speaking of youtubers from a toxic and cringe past, I like when Lindsey Ellis talks about books and media
8Sound-field: I just like learning about music and really like how they've delved into the social justice aspect of how a lot of music genres/movements form.
7 The Boys: Much like Preacher amazing how they take such a lovely property and make gold out of it
6The Mandalorian: The show makes me care about Star Wars which is no small feat
5Monstrum: I like learning about folklore and monsters and find the history of how things develop and the cultural backgrounds of the stories fascinating.
4Eons: As someone who has failed his dreams to becoming an actual paleontologist (gradschool didn't want me and I accept I dodged a bullet since I couldn't handle it anyway) this show always fills me with that joy since it tells these nice bite sized looks into paleontology as a whole (not just dinos!) And I really like how they've been acknowledging the indigenous tribes where a lot of these discoveries and fossils are discovered without consent or knowledge of the native peoples.
3What We Do In the Shadows: I'm glad the community of Clariton PA was represented in the best episode, I'm glad Matt Berry is able to reach a wider audience where most people my age probably only knew him from Darkplace on adult swim.
2Better Call Saul: Still the best show on tv and I'm confident in saying surpasses it's predecessor by a wide margin, wish it would just get the recognition it deserves since it still feels for some reason like this underground masterpiece
1 Agents of Shield: I'm sorry but I have to name it as my number 1, I've been through the show since the beginning and it was able to end on it's own terms despite most people sneering at it for not mattering in the MCU. The cast is a complete joy and hopefully they'll be able to find more gigs (or actually show up on Disney+ Marvel shows)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My first bonus from this thread has been discovering Dispatches From Elsewhere. 3 episodes in and so far it looks like this should have been on my 10 list

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I might update this later before the final date because I can't remember what came out this year at all. Plus you know, the rona.

1. Better Call Saul: This last season was pretty drat good, it may had felt that way since they skipped a year because of the breaking bad movie but it was a good season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI71Y-75mSk

2. Cheese making videos on youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/greeningofgavin:
BIG loving CHEESE TRIED TO TAKE HIM DOWN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_AzMLhPF1Q
BUT HE FOUGHT BACK!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xy_KkZDiTE
AND HE WON!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqPP24IU1to

This guy makes cheese making videos if I wasn't clear at this point they are very good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0jEmVw6-Nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsVa0wSKeIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEANdhnm5hY

3. Solar Opposites: This was a pretty good show. I enjoy the art style even though this does not involve Dan Harmon but I guess I shouldn't marry him to the artists that make rick and morty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hHoKWE4Vb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Kr1SW6NGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Mv2i9aDzQ

4. Rick and morty: It was ok. There is a weirdness with the show that's really drifting it from how it was in season 1 but I'm sure this is something you can watch a youtube video essay on or there will be in the future so I guess this is me just saying "I told you so" before it happens.

5. American dad: It was good as usual.

6. The boys: I'm gonna include season 1 with season 2 because I didn't watch it until this year. It is ok, it isn't anything special, and it feels half lazy.

achillesforever6 posted:

10 Quinton Reviews: Quinton has climbed up my list of youtubers after he got played enough times on goonami and I think he's kind of a weird throwback to internet reviewers, but is 100% less toxic and in retrospect cringe.

Yea throw this one on my list also. I dunno if I'm gonna get to 10 though so just use math for me when you get to the final count. I also didn't really want to have youtube on my list this year.

:siren:I also want to get special notice to the mods, helpers, IKs of the tv forum to reach out to everyone and in previous years, to let them know that they can join in for the yearly tv poll.:siren: I guess you can make this my number one and then shift the numbers down from that. The rules don't say anything about that. Yea, that's right, you just got time magazined.

Addendum: To use if I can't find 10 shows.

7: Kitchen Nightmares youtube channel: This season was just great. They added several new old episodes for their first appearance. All the places Gordon went are now closed and out of business, because their owners being bad at business and because of corona.

8: Adult swim youtube channel: They make just outstanding quality.
9: Extracurricular : Just an amazing first season. Great show on amazon.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 16, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

I might update this later before the final date because I can't remember what came out this year at all. Plus you know, the rona.

Tenzarin posted:

Yea throw this one on my list also. I dunno if I'm gonna get to 10 though so just use math for me when you get to the final count. I also didn't really want to have youtube on my list this year.

That's fine, but

Looten Plunder posted:

VOTING RULES
3. If you want to list less than ten shows then go for that too but I won't count it at all. If you don't want to rank your picks then that's fine as well but again, I won't count it.

Tenzarin posted:

2. Solar Opposites: This was a pretty good show. I enjoy the art style even though this does not involve Dan Harmon but I guess I shouldn't marry him to the artists that make rick and morty.
You know the main creative force is Justin Roiland and he did both shows yeah?

Tenzarin posted:

but I'm sure this is something you can watch a youtube video essay on or there will be in the future so I guess this is me just saying "I told you so" before it happens
Oh trust me, there is plenty.

Tenzarin posted:

:siren:I also want to get special notice to the mods, helpers, IKs of the tv forum to reach out to everyone and in previous years, to let them know that they can join in for the yearly tv poll.:siren: I guess you can make this my number one and then shift the numbers down from that. The rules don't say anything about that. Yea, that's right, you just got time magazined.

Cute, but

Looten Plunder posted:

VOTING RULES
1. Every show you pick

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum

Lurdiak posted:

Haha.

Also I had to edit my list because I forgot about Lower Decks somehow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hilda s2 is great

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Been sick with covid and finally have somewhat recovered after a long battle so I had to try to put a little something together since this got extended out. Forgive for the brief thoughts but I'm not big into typing up a lot right now.

10 Animaniacs:
Great return/reboot that could have really gone south. Too bad there wasn't more of it though. Could've had a longer season. But quality over quantity I suppose.

9 Raised by Wolves:
I'm an unabashed Ridley Scott fan and this series hit all the notes I was looking for. I think it's been renewed for a second season so definitely looking forward to that.

8 Avenue 5:
Big suprise for me as I hadn't even heard of it until it was out. Loved every second of it.

7 Vikings:
Still love it as much as ever and am going to miss it when it's gone.

6 Agents of SHIELD:
Fantastic final season that wrapped up a hugely underrated show that did a lot with what it had.

5 Saved By The Bell:
Did not expect this to be even remotely good and it turned out fantastically weird and I love it. Hope to see more.

4 Perry Mason:
Really got into this one big time. Didn't expect I would be so drawn in but the acting and setting and story all really came together for me.

3 The Mandalorian:
I'm not really a big Star Wars fan, I. can completely do without all the Force and Jedi stuff, but this keeps a lot of that in the background for the most part and is made much better by it.

2 The New Pope:
The Young Pope was one of my favorite shows of all time and I was waiting and waitng for this for what seemed like years and it finally arrived. And it did not disappoint.

1 The Great:
Far and away my favorite show of the year. Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult really brought this show to life. Hoult was equal parts funny and sometimes terrifying in his role and I can't wait to see more of it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Looten Plunder posted:

That's fine, but

You know the main creative force is Justin Roiland and he did both shows yeah?

Oh trust me, there is plenty.

Cute, but

I didn't watch 10 shows! I can't make 10!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tenzarin posted:

If anyone could make a video of this part of my post and post it on youtube I can make it my number one show. Make sure you post it stating that filming happened in 2020.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you ok

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Everyone who can't make 10 shows should just but Extracurricular in all of their empty slots, hth

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Alright here's my top ten. I freely admit to recency bias and all other forms of bias, but here it is. I will likely edit a little bit prior to the deadline because I'm drunk right now, but wanted to make sure at least 1 more ballot was cast. Yay democracy!

10. Agents of Shield Wow. Given the material and leeway they were given the knocked this out of the park. Season ends stronger than it begins in my opinion, but is very strong throughout.

9. Search Party - What seemed like a pretty chill romcom ends up being anything but. But done to the absolute extremity, and done well. Love it. I am drunk.

8. What We Do In The Shadows - Jackie Daytona, normal human bartender, nothing further needed.

7. Raised By Wolves - Goddamn this show went some places.

6. The Good Place - Very sweet, very funny, I'm glad they got to tell the story they wanted to. But it never really reached the heights of the first season.

5. Perry Mason - To be honest this show is more about the execution than anything else. It's not super exciting, but once you get into it it does keep the tension up.

4. Warrior
. Holy poo poo, this show kicks the llama's rear end.

3. Dispatches From Elsewhere - this gave me bigtime Lodge 49 vibes so it got me hooked right from the get go. But it became it's own thing and was great at it. I know the final episode was kind of divisive but I thought it was very sweet and more importantly, I've never seen the actors, production, and crew acknowledged in this way.

2. Better Call Saul - I can't really elaborate more than others have, it's just a perfect loving show.

1. Ted Lasso - Better than being perfect though, is being timely. This show made 2020 a little better and I don't think I could say the same for any other show. This is the only show that I could count on to raise my spirits even when everything else was going to hell.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 16, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think Cobra Kai is eligible or it'd be pretty high up on mine.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well poo poo. I was already thinking about reordering my choices so I guess I can dump Cobra Kai in the process if need be.

edit:

changed it to AOS. Thanks for the heads up

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 16, 2021

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
1. The Mandalorian - I love Star Wars and this is more Star Wars done incredibly well.

2. What We Do In The Shadows - Matt Berry. Nah the whole cast are just so loving good. This show is a shining light in TV comedy.

3. Dark - Fantastic ending to a trilogy series. I loved that they kept the complexity but weren't scared to be a bit out there.

4. Deutschland 89 - The fall of the Berlin Wall spy thriller. I lap that poo poo up.

5. Schitt's Creek - This show won my heart by season 5. I binged it all this year.

6. The Queen’s Gambit - Almost like a chess thriller/drama. The main actress is fantastic and they managed to make chess competition interesting.

7. The Expanse - One of the best "Hard" sci fi shows out there, this season maintains it's high level of quality.

8. Killing Eve - It's the Villanelle show.

9. Aunty Donna's Big ol' House of Fun - Incredibly Absurd, Dumb and weird sketch show that is worth watching.

10. The Umbrella Academy - Hit it's straps in season 2, going back in time was cool.

There was so many shows that look cool as heck that I want to catch up on

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's kind of funny that in a year with nothing but time to waste I fell so behind on what I wanted to watch, but, here we are.

(HM) - Avenue 5 - I wanted to like this show a lot, and it has occasional moments where everything crystallizes into great comedy. It just didn't happen very often, and a lot of the rest felt rough. Maybe to much Josh Gad, I dunno.

(HM) - Rick and Morty - I really enjoy this show and I hate the internet people who enjoy this show.

(HM) - Upload - It's been long enough since I watched it that I can't entirely remember why it disappointed. It's a show that has big and interesting ideas about the future and the afterlife, and it will ask questions about or using those ideas, and then it will move on and focus more on the romantic comedy it wants to be. I found that intensely frustrating. I think. If I am remembering correctly.

(HM) - Schitt's Creek - I'm only on Season 2 or so so I can't really include it but it's really impressive how it builds the characters in such a way that you start to like them all. And it's getting really loving funny so I'm excited to continue.

10. Tiger King - Sometimes you just need a documentary series about weird people. All big cat people are untrustworthy, in my opinion. gently caress Carole Baskin.

9. Harley Quinn - Just a great funny cartoon that's not about Batman except maybe once when it was about Batman. Harley's had a good year.

8. Devs - I don't think this ever fully gels, but it was a captivating mystery.

7. Lovecraft Country - The show is whip smart in the way it combines the actual horrors of racism of the 50s/60s with the mythological horrors of Cthulhu. It doesn't always stick the landing - I thought the Emmitt Till episode wasn't well-handled, and felt like it was the most "putting our sensibilities into that time period". But when it does work, like the potion episode, it is masterful.

6. The Queen's Gambit - This and my #1 were mostly watched in the same week, and let me tell you, it was a good week for watching competent people be good at something. It's just a well told tale, with the right length, and an ending that wraps everything up a far too perfectly.

5. What We Do in the Shadows - It's just a funny, enjoyable show with a great cast.

4. The Boys - I'm tired of appointment television, and most of the shows on this list I watched after they were fully released. The Boys was a weekly watch. It has taken an overly edgy comic and made it a much more interesting and fun experience. Plus, gently caress Nazis.

3. The Mandalorian - I think the Star Wars universe is filled with potentially interesting stories and characters, but I am just so loving tired of the Skywalker and Palpatine families. Mando is at its best when it sticks to the smaller stuff, just one bounty hunter doing a job for some credits to get to the next job. I hope the series sticks closer to that than the in-universe cameos that filled season 2.

2. Taskmaster - It's at its best when the semi-famous-but-not-to-me contestants take whatever challenge they are given, and approach it form a completely different direction. Easily one of the best "how would I handle this" shows.

1. Ted Lasso - Every single critical source I trust loved this show. Friends recommended it. Still, I resisted. A show about football and soccer? No thanks. Jason Sudeikis? Really, no thanks. Finally after enough pressure I caved and gave it a shot, and goddamn. It is a perfect show for 2020, just a delightfully warm sitcom about a genuinely good guy being good to people. Not in an overly saccharine way, just, nice. Almost every single character is fleshed out and developed, and likable. It just left me feeling good, which has been rare.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
10. Taskmaster - It's sad this flopped over here in the US. Americans can't get into panel shows and this is the best one on currently.

9. Star Trek Discovery - Let the haters hate. This is Star Trek and it's great Star Trek. I will agree that they really need to stop making Michael Burnham the most special person to ever exist every episode. We get it.

8. Devs - I never thought I could watch a show that would talk about and deal with the actual current multiverse theory in a not stupid way. Sure it didn't stick the landing but still, that was pretty neat.

7. The Crown - This is getting a bit touchy for the royals because they see their flaws and really don't want people speculating about what really happens. I love making them uncomfortable.

6. I Am Not OK With This - I want to go read the comic this was based on now.

5. The Queen's Gambit - This surprised me. Great show and really surprised me about how good ‎Anya Taylor-Joy is as an actor.

4. The Mandalorian - I had high hopes for this and it completely blew those away.

3. Gogglebox - what can I say, I really enjoy brits watching the shitshow that was the Trump presidency and how poorly he handled the pandemic response. UKTV helps me keep a good perspective on America and this is a microcosm of that.

2. Better Call Saul - I said it last year, this show is better than Breaking Bad.

1. Ted Lasso - As everyone said, this was the show 2020 needed. It made all my grousing about quarantine seem bitter and helped me chill the gently caress out.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 17, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh man, I completely forgot to include Devs, Avenue 5, or The Queen's Gambit. They would probably take up the middle of my list but gently caress it, I don't really feel like booting any of the other shows off my list.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Inspector 34 posted:

Oh man, I completely forgot to include Devs, Avenue 5, or The Queen's Gambit. They would probably take up the middle of my list but gently caress it, I don't really feel like booting any of the other shows off my list.

I forgot Kingdom! :cry:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Honorable Mentions

Cobra Kai
This show is great, it manages to balance a lot of different tones and take a pretty different storytelling approach than the karate kid films without ever feeling like it's not doing them justice or mining the brand for name recognition. Too bad it just barely missed the deadline!

Columbo
Columbo is one of the best shows ever made. If you've not watched Columbo, you should watch Columbo.

Lurdiak's Top Ten of 2020

10- Moonbase 8

I'll be honest, this show is not exactly my speed, but I can't deny that it's doing exactly what it wants to do. This one really flew under the radar, as so many shows do in this streaming service world of ours, but it's a decent premise with some solid performances. The situational comedy of having to deal with definitely earthbound problems while training for being on the moon is a lot stronger to me than the weird improv interpersonal humor, but I've never been much of an improv guy.

9 - The Blacklist

Another year, another time The Blacklist has made my top 10 due to sheer lack of watching more than 10 shows. The stupidity that I enjoy about the show has yet to waver, although even taking the show in stride, I am getting really tired of new reveals about Reddington's checkered past. The ps2 graphics episode was even funnier than it looked in screenshots.

8 - Castlevania

This show is almost certainly as canceled as its lead writer, but I did enjoy this last season, even if it suffered from some tone issues. Isaac is the best character in this show by a long shot, and I definitely didn't think he'd be when he was introduced. As usual, it was a very satisfying mix of demonic violence and sarcasm, with some interesting theological conversations to boot. I'll miss it, but I sure won't miss Warren Ellis.

7 - Lucifer

This show never aims higher than it can hit, and ever since they moved to Netflix, they've been having even more fun with the goofiness of the premise. I particularly enjoyed the episode where they investigated a murder that took place on the set of a dumb 90s Fox version of the program. I hope this show keeps going forever, as Tom Ellis just has way too much fun in the role.

6 - What We do in the Shadows

This stupid, horny, dumbed down version of the movie continues to greatly entertain me, with several laugh out loud moments per season. I'm completely disinterested in the central plot of this season, but to be fair most of the cast is too. I feel like they might've leaned a bit too hard on Collin Robinson this season, probably since he's such a fan favorite, but eh, anything's better than Guillermo scenes.

5 - The Good Place

This show continued to be heartfelt, hilarious and generally endearing, but I really felt the actual story ran out of steam near the end. It seemed like they were just coming up with problems that the characters needed to overcome even though the plot was done. I also thought the idea of adding permadeath to Heaven as some kind of philosophical answer to the concept that unchallenged happiness makes life meaningless was a very strange one. Coulda used a couple rewrites there. Still pretty good, though.

4 - Brooklyn 99

This show's definitely treading water now, but it's still very funny so I don't care. I don't know if I want it to be renewed or not, since I've had my fill of cop shows by now, no matter how much lip service they pay to pointing out systemic problems with law enforcement. I just hope Andre Braugher keeps being on my tv for years to come.

3 - Hilda

The much anticipated return of one of my favorite shows from 2018. While this show is still gorgeous, charming, cute, and funny, I feel like season 2 spent a lot of time retreading old ground. Season 1 did an artful job introducing new characters, new aspects of the world's mythology, progressing the metaplot and having the character relationships evolve while still having each episode be its own self contained adventure. This season is definitely more of the latter and less of the former, with several episodes just involving revisiting characters and creatures from season 1, and even though both Frieda and David technically each get an episode that focuses on them, it doesn't really grow them much as characters and they feel a lot more like backgorund extras this season, which is a shame after how well characterized they were in season 1. Hilda and her mom's relationship take center stage again, but it feels like Hilda's just relearning lessons from season 1 about how she should trust her mom to have her back. Overall still a very entertaining ride and I hope to see more of this show, just a slight step down from an 11/10 first season.

2 - Better Call Saul

As this show wraps up its 5th season, the difference in pacing between it and Breaking Bad become rather apparent. The cartel storyline and Jimmy's life finally intertwine in a major way, and the character continues his ever-entertaining descent into amorality. Better Call Saul embodies the term dramedy, as it manages to balance extremely tense thriller scenes, compelling character drama and gut-busting moments of hilarity like no other show ever has. I can't wait to see what's next for this brilliant show.

1 - Bojack Horseman

I'm going to assume the reason this isn't on anyone else's top 10 list is that everyone forgot that the final season came out in 2020 and not late 2019. I have never in my life seen a show stick the landing this well. The last 8 episodes of season 6 were downright harrowing, showing us who Bojack could be if he moved on from his damage, only for his old sins and his hubris to tear it all down in the most gut wrenching way possible. Redemption, justice, misogyny, toxic friendships, life and death, racism, sexual abuse... there wasn't a single topic this funny talking horse show was afraid to tackle, and Bojack's journey is one of the best written character examinations I've seen outside of novels. The View From Halfway Down manages to surpass Time's Arrow and Free Churro as the standout episode of the series, and the finale was a perfect encapsulation of what was always at the heart of this show. I don't think anything will ever surpass Bojack Horseman as my favorite tv show, and while I'd love to see more of these characters, I'm glad they got to go out on such a high note.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 18, 2021

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Not feeling too enthusiastic about this post. An even worse year for TV than last year. Instead of 9 good shows I've only been able to come up with 5 4. I haven't yet watched The Good Lord Bird. Who knows? Maybe it would have gone on the list. Other shows I watched but which did not make the 'good TV' cut: The New Pope, Raised by Wolves, Perry Mason, Westworld, The Boys, Avenue 5, Rick and Morty, The Good Place. The New Pope, I must say, was especially disappointing. The Good Place didn't so much as disappoint as fail to surprise with its half-assed schmaltzy ending. The rest was pure garbage not worth dwelling over.

10. What We Do in the Shadows — even though it's kinda lightweight and the the writing is patchy, it's still pretty funny, which is enough to make this godawful year's top 5 4

9. Better Call Saul — hard agree with somebody earlier in the thread that Rhea Seehorn should have won something by now. Still pretty good, obviously spinning its wheels a bit tho. Perversely, the show gets less interesting as the stakes get higher.

8. Curb Your Enthusiasm — strong latest season with a number of memorable eps. The car dealership licorice. The MAGA hat. The segregated restaurant.

7.Succession — pretty good stuff. kind of a King Lear with private helicopters and no Cordelia.

7. How To With John Wilson — the sharpest satire on TV. I mean, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

...and since there is still this garbage rule about a minimum 10 shows (fix your poo poo op), please enjoy my top 6 existing, eligible TV shows airing in 2020

6. All the Feels by The Dodo. Part of Quibi's 'Daily Essentials' lineup, All the Feels brings all the feels you're used to seeing on YouTube, right to your computer screen.

5. Agua Donkeys - What could I say here that hasn't already been said? Totally ignored by the mainstream critics, but it's definitely a show you can watch on Quibi.

4. Die Hart - laughed my rear end off at this one an uncounted number of times. The mad geniuses at Quibi have done it again.

3. 50 States of Fright - Hold on to your socks, boys and girls. If you thought Nightmare on Elm Street was scary, chances are you have not seen this Quibi horror anthology.

2. Chrissy's Court - This high-stakes Quibi reality offering might make you rethink everything you thought you knew about arbitration courts run by social media personalities.

1. Gayme Show - While I suspect some people would say Gayme Show, which is probably a game show that features homosexual men in some capacity, pushes the boundaries of good taste, I say "Don't judge a book by its cover." Since no one else will, I'll just say it: Quibi's Gayme Show is my #1 television pick of 2020, narrowly beating its closest competitor by only one place.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 19, 2021

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

10. Arrow - Arrow's 3 episodes in 2020 were the Crisis Crossover episode, the backdoor pilot to the now-defunct Green Arrows & the Canary, and the series finale. That averages out pretty well, especially because the finale gifted us with a really good action sequence.

9. American Dad - They've settled nicely into this TBS format of the show now and I like having less Tuttle and more Rogu.

8. Little Fires Everywhere - Reese Witherspoon screaming "YES YOU ARE" in the finale is one of my 2020 highlights.

7. The 100 - The season jumped around between planets and timelines from episode to episode which was cool and fun. The series ended with a somewhat satisfactory conclusion.

6. The Flight Attendant - Kaley Cuoco is a fun drunk mess, the plot moved briskly and there were some well constructed supporting characters.

5. Legends of Tomorrow - This season's episode titles included "Romeo v Juliet: Dawn of Justness", "Mortal Khanbat", and "The One Where We're Trapped on TV". "Swan Thong" was the season finale and featured a performance by Sisqo. This show continues to be the Stefon-iest type of show and I hope it keeps going for a long time.

4. Ted Lasso - Live action Ned Flanders won me over, but Keeley Jones was the one who really kept surprising me with her wonderfulness.

3. Better Call Saul - Rhea Seehorn & Bob Odenkirk continue to impress.

2. The Plot Against America - Alt-history fiction where America is full of hatred.

1. Fargo - I get it, there were too many characters and it was trying to do too much, but I loved this messy ambitious season. There was some good storytelling with memorable characters - Oraetta Mayflower and her baked goods, OCD detective, Shawshank lesbian outlaws, angry comedic mafia bros., Rabbi Mulligan, etc. It was a nice change of pace to have the determined moral protagonist of the story be a suburban teenage black girl in the 1950's instead of a cop.

Yer Burnt fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 18, 2021

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Didn't have time to watch more than a few shows this...

lol who are we kidding.

10. Extracurricular
Great acting by the young leads, fun plot twists, and served as a solid intro (along with Running Man/The Genius) to Korean TV. Open to many more suggestions! Might inspire your own kids to bankroll their way through college.

9. Star Trek: Discovery
My wife, who hated sci-fi when we met, is now hooked on Star Trek thanks to Tilly, Saru, Phillipa and Michael. Who to ship, who to ship?

8. Taskmaster
A chill British game show in which comedians are ordered to make Lecter-esque masks out of food and eat them off the host's face. Approx 150 laughs per hour.

7. Queen's Gambit
Fun to see 1960s ladies taking the boys down a peg.

6. Devs
Glossy, existential, starts hot and mysterious, ends a bit flaccid but it was an eyecatching ride.

5. Plot Against America
Perfect timing for this historical drama, as the warning about fascism needed to be reinforced. The ending sucked, but the show had plenty of high notes.

4. Corporate
Pitch black humor, nails the shittiest aspects of corporate life better than Office Space or The IT Crowd. Bonus: Lance Reddick plays Ferris Bueller for an episode.

3. Schitt's Creek
Touching final season, and hopefully not the last we'll hear from Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy.

2. Mrs. America
It's important to regularly revisit the battles fought by Schlafly, Abzug, Chisholm and the rest, to remember how far we've come and how far we have yet to go.

1. Ted Lasso
Sports romcomdram with heartwarming, genuine, international spirit, ish. A show I can recommend to anyone of any age who needs a lift, or who needs a reminder that nice guys don't always finish last.

Honorable Mentions:
Dispatches from Elsewhere--Halfway through, looking like a contender. An ARG about how to get unstuck?
The Good Place--Only a few episodes this year but the finale was perfect.
The Mandalorian--So good.
Better Call Saul--Another good season, maybe a bit too much Lalo?
The Octopus Teacher--Animals are important.
The Boys--Not as memorable as the first season. Nazi sex is gross.
The Expanse--Only a few slugs and a few hot rocks. We expected more disaster from 2020.
What We Do in the Shadows--Why's this hat puckering at the back of my head?
Avenue 5--Trumpies in an airlock.
Good Lord Bird--Halfway through and really enjoying.
Tiger King--Gave us all something to laugh about together in late March. Probably kept 400,000 morons inside and saved 2000 lives.
How to with John--Halfway through, ready for a twist.
Outer Banks--Stupid show showed stupid kids running around with their stupid friends sinking their stupid boats in the stupid sun. Reminded me to stay inside this stupid summer. Was hoping they'd end by filling their crab boat with $400M in gold bars, 5 miles out to sea.
Cyberpunk 2077--Somehow, this feels like it'll be the gift that keeps on giving long past 2021. Do they make patches for TV shows? Why the gently caress not?

MrBuddyLee fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 18, 2021

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
drat, I forgot about Corporate. They had a great season in 2020, hilarious show

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I don't think I made the deadline, but gently caress you.

10. The Outpost - I love this crappy, crappy, low budget show. It should have aired in the late 90's on PTEN, but it's here and now.

9. How To With John Wilson - I'm really glad his landlord didn't die of Covid-19. And that circumcision turn was…uhhhh…

8. Avenue 5 - Weeks ahead of it's time. WEEKS!

7. Brooklyn 99 - This is a solid show that has mostly plataued, but the episode where Wunch dies is fantastic. Holt and Diaz crush it as a team.

6. What We Do In The Shadows - The second season had a dumb episode about some random guy named Jackie Daytona, but other than that, this show kills it. Natasia Demetriou is disdainfully great, and Kayvan Novak is awesome as a prissy Persian uncle.

5. The Mandalorian - While I grew up with Star Wars, I'm less of a fan as I get older. But The Mandalorian really filled the gaps that I always had problems with. Telling me Boba Fett is a badass is a lot less effective than old-rear end Boba Fett beating the brakes off of a bunch of Storm Troopers. And Luke showing up and rinsing a squad of Dark Troopers really sells the Jedi mythos. And it's done by establishing Mando as a baseline badass.

4. Better Call Saul - Why hasn't Rhea Seahorn won anything? The cartel stuff was a bit of a dropoff, but this is still great.

3. A.P. Bio - It's a good show with a fantastic cast, but it's overstuffed; you have the students, the faculty, and Howerton as the main character and it doesn't quite fit into the half-hour sitcom format. And all that with a distiinctive visual and directing style. It should either be an hour long comedy drama or three separate shows. Neverrtheless, it's realy good and the "Previously On" episode was fantastic.

2. Good Lord Bird - Ethan Hawke chews the gently caress out of the scenery. He's also more supporting than central which really helps. Onion was a really strong lead, and the rest of the cast is great.

1. Dispatches From Elsewhere - The last episode is controversial, but I really liked the whole thing. It's sweet and magical. Comparisons to Lodge 49 are spot-on. If you liked this, I strongly recommend you watch the documentary it's based on, "The Institute."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MrBuddyLee posted:

10. Extracurricular
Great acting by the young leads, fun plot twists, and served as a solid intro (along with Running Man/The Genius) to Korean TV. Open to many more suggestions! Might inspire your own kids to bankroll their way through college.

Watch Crime Scene if you like The Genius and haven't yet. I would personally recommend season 2 b/c it has the best cast, you should watch all three.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hey all. The live results will be revealed at 10:00PM US EST Thursday 21st of Jan.

Going to extend the deadline one more time to 10PM US EST Tuesday 19th of Jan

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 18, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

No more extensions. It's too tempting to rewrite my entire list.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Looten Plunder posted:

Going to extend the deadline one more time to 10PM US EST Tuesday 19th of Jan

ty, this gave me the opportunity to update my list to the mandatory 10 entries

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

7.Succession — pretty good stuff. kind of a King Lear with private helicopters and no Cordelia.

This didn't air in 2020. I'll allow a final edit if you want to fix ASAP.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Looten Plunder posted:

This didn't air in 2020. I'll allow a final edit if you want to fix ASAP.

done

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Gather round goons and goonettes. It's finally time to reveal the results of the 9th Annual TVIV awards! I, Looten Plunder will be your host today. It's my second time doing this so I'm hoping things will be a bit smoother, but please forgive me, both, for the the delay in this countdown and any bumps along the way.

So....2020 huh?! It's probably an understatement, but that was a lovely year. There was a silver lining though. With everyone stuck at home, there was a lot more eyeballs on the small screen this year. People were starved for content, it's just a shame that not a lot of networks weren't able to make the shows to serve those eyeballs. With that said, there was a lot of good TV this year, and it will be interesting to see how much of a shake up there is as a result of this new climate. Let's all come together to celebrate relive the year of TV in 2020.

As always, there are some big questions that need to be answered. Including, but not limited to:

• Will the pandemic translate to more people voting in the poll?
  • With so many AAA shows not being released in 2020, what surprises do we have in store?
  • We had a few of our favourites finish up in 2019. Which shows will rise up to usurp them?
  • Is Netflix's streaming crown under threat with another year under the belt for the likes of Disney+, Apple TV+, Hulu and Amazon?
  • How will the further dilution and decentralisation of the TV landscape affect the popularity of shows?
  • How will Goon favourites Agents of SHIELD and The Good Place fare in their final seasons? Do they have one last gasp?
  • With Goon's being largely giant Man(and Lady)-Children, what cartoon/animated suprises are we in for this year?
  • Is there a new Goon favourite when it comes to a Nathan For You, Joe Pera, High Maintenance, Eric Andre Show, MST3K style quirky comedy?
  • How will the list be affected by the changing superhero landscape and the Goon love for all things comic book.

Stay tuned for answers to these questions and more! Let's get this underway! Without further ado, let's kick this off with the list of shows that didn't make our official countdown.

149=. (1 Point)
Animaniacs (Hulu)
Bluey (ABC (Australia)
Briarpatch (USA)
Dark Side of the Ring (VICE)
Kingdom (Audience)
Motherland Fort Salem (Freeform)
Picard (CBS All Access)
Ramy (Hulu)
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)
Umbrella Academy (Netflix)

131=. (2 Points)
Aunty Donna's Big ol' House of Fun (Netflix)
Cheer (Netflix)
Dead To Me (Netflix)
Ducktales (DisneyXD)
Future Man (Hulu)
House Hunters (HGTV)
It's Lit (Web)
Nature (PBS)
New Journey to the West (TvN)
Quinton Reviews (Web)
Record of Youth (Netflix)
The Blacklist (NBC)
The Circle (Netflix)
The Outpost (CW)
Tiger King (Netflix)
Truth Seekers (Amazon)
Wynonna Earp (Syfy)
Yellowstone (Paramount)

117=. (3 Points)
Adult Swim (Web)
Attack on Titan (Adult Swim)
Babylon Berlin (Sky 1 Germany)
Castlevania (Netflix)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
Cursed (Netflix)
Dave (FX)
Emotional Camping (JTBC)
Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous (Netflix)
Mad As Hell (ABC (Australia))
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom (Tokyo MX)
Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet (Apple TV+)
Ozark (Netflix)
Sound-field (Web)

105=. (4 Points)
A Toy Store Near You (Web)
Dimension 20 (Web)
Great Pretender (Fuji TV)
I Live Alone (MBC)
Kitchen Nightmares (Web)
Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu)
Modern Family (ABC)
Neebs Gaming (Web)
Picco Picture Contest (Adult Swim)
P-Valley (Starz)
Star Trek: Lower Decks (CBS All Access)
Vikings (History)

93=. (5 Points)
Archer (FX)
Good Girl: Who Robbed the Station (Mnet)
I Am Not OK With This (Netflix)
Marvel's 616 (Disney+)
Rent-A-Girlfriend (Crunchyroll)
Survivor (CBS)
The Amazing Race (CBS)
The Flight Attendant (HBO Max)
The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix)
Tosh.0 (Comedy Central)
Vagrant Queen (Syfy)
All The Feels (Quibi)

86=. (6 Points)
Agua Donkeys (Quibi)
Canada's Drag Race (Crave)
Hawaii Five-O (CBS)
Hyena (SBS TV)
Monstrum (Web)
Saved By The Bell (Peacock)
The Plot Against America (HBO)

78=. (7 Points)
Corporate (Comedy Central)
Deutschland '83 (Sundance)
Die Hart (Quibi)
Eons (PBS)
Hangout With Yoo (MBC)
Last Week Tonight (HBO)
Strike Back (Cinemax)
Warrior (Cinemax)

68=. (8 Points)
50 States of Fright (Quibi)
AP Bio (NBC)
Gogglebox (Channel 4)
Inside the NBA (TNT)
Private Lives (Netflix)
RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo TV)
Solar Opposites (Hulu)
The Last Kingdom (Netflix)
The Vow (HBO)
The Wilds (Amazon)

53=. (9 Points)
AEW Dynamite (TNT)
Carmen Sandiego (Netflix)
Chrissy's Court (Quibi)
Evil (CBS)
Gavin Webber (Web)
Hello Dracula (JTBC)
I May Destroy You (BBC One)
Industry (BBC Two)
Killing Eve (BBC America)
Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure (Netflix)
Stargirl (DC Universe)
Supermarket Sweep (ABC)
The Eric Andre Show (BBC Two)
The New Pope (Sky Atlantic)
Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (NBC)

47=. (10 Points)
Fishcenter Live (Adult Swim)
Gayme Show (Quibi)
Insecure (HBO)
Moonbase 8 (Showtime)
Star Trek Discovery (CBS All Access)
Westworld (HBO)

44=. (11 Points)
American Dad (FOX)
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX)
Search Party (TBS)

43. (12 Points)
Lucifer (FOX)

41=. (13 Points)
Black Monday (Showtime)
Rick and Morty (Adult Swim)

39=. (14 Points)
The Great (Hulu)
The Magicians (Syfy)

37=. (15 Points)
Extracurricular (Netflix)
Snowpiercer (TNT)

35=. (16 Points)
Fargo (FX)
ZeroZeroZero (Sky Atlantic)

31=. (17 Points)
Hilda (Netflix)
Mrs. America (FX)
Perry Mason (HBO)
Primal (Adult Swim)

Our first "award" goes to Ducktales which dropped a massive 104 spots to take the award of:
:toot:Biggest Faller:toot:

I'll be back at 10PM Eastern Time to reveal the rest of the list. In case my timezone calculations are wrong, this is in approximately just under 4 hours from this post. (I still need to organise show quotes and videos so I better get a move on!)

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 22, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
10pm Eastern is two hours from now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know the latest season of Fargo wasn't to everybody's cup of tea but man seeing it at 35th place is depressing given how beloved the first couple of seasons were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel a strange sense of satisfaction just seeing all these Korean networks even on the list of stuff that didn't make it.

We almost got Extracurricular on the list!!!

Go watch Extracurricular!!!!