Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
tetris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jre posted:

Not 100% sure about c64, but the add on tape drives for the BBC micro had a control line for stopping and starting the tape automatically.

( Rem being remote control )

at least the one i had was fully manual

youd also save stuff by hitting record when the program prompted you, or before hitting return on your own SAVE command

mystes
May 31, 2006

eschaton posted:

QuickTime was extremely widely licensed, and its concepts and file format underly video today

I think the browser plug-in was even up there with Flash and Java for how widely distributed it was

who knows why nobody made something like YouTube with it instead of Flash, maybe Flash let YouTube obfuscate a bit or something
Wasn't quicktime a lot less flexible in terms of being able to program it to work however you wanted to integrate it into your site?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mystes posted:

Wasn't quicktime a lot less flexible in terms of being able to program it to work however you wanted to integrate it into your site?

yeah you couldnt customize the appearance at the time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

i could never understand why it was so difficult to just not allow the browser to open new windows

because opening popups is the only reason javascript exists and it was a big deal to disable that core functionality

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

right click is not allowed on this website

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

eschaton posted:

this was possible and worked well with QuickTime for nearly a decade before YouTube was introduced

the “fast start” movie layout that puts all chunk description atoms up front and orders them was first created to use with CD-ROM, which was originally only about three times as fast as 56K dialup; this let a movie play smoothly while being retrieved, as long as it didn’t need more bits/second than were coming down (possibly after some preroll)

then Apple not only added RTSP support to QuickTime in the mid-1990s, but also wrote an RTSP server that ran on UNIX and made it Open Source in like 1998-99 and could deliver tons of movies at once with the ability for users to scrub through them, jump anywhere, etc.

YouTube doing it all with Flash was a big step backwards

56k modems only got 5 kbyte/s vs 150 kbyte/s from 1x cdrom

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

echinopsis posted:

i could never understand why it was so difficult to just not allow the browser to open new windows

its kindof annoying when say a forum has external links open in the same tab/window by default (ie no href target="_new" or whatever its called) so you have to remember to do that yourself. it would suck if you always had to do it

javascript windows can gently caress right off though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PCjr sidecar posted:

you forgot to factor in the grease on the cdrom increasing seek times

(unless you used caddies like the commodore cdtv)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

wouldnt think that was possible, the tape drive was extremely simple & i would assume the motors were only controllable with the buttons on the drive itself

the disk drive was controlled by the computer & could do fun stuff

also both had lovely firmware so there were a lot of turbo loaders around (both as hardware cartridges or ones you loaded from your turbo disk first)

Carthag Tuek posted:

at least the one i had was fully manual

youd also save stuff by hitting record when the program prompted you, or before hitting return on your own SAVE command

if you've ever actually loaded anything off a tape with the Commodore Datasette, you'll have noticed that the motor stops automatically at the FOUND prompt, and starts moving automatically when you press a keyboard key

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Carthag Tuek posted:

its kindof annoying when say a forum has external links open in the same tab/window by default (ie no href target="_new" or whatever its called) so you have to remember to do that yourself. it would suck if you always had to do it

javascript windows can gently caress right off though

always middle click all links

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Carthag Tuek posted:

wrong! if I wanted it in a new tab I'd middle click it

efficiency supremacy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can find NOTHING on the internet about a Commodore 64 using the Datasette motor for sound effects now, but I'm sure I didn't just make it up myself :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

duz posted:

i do this on everything except loving lexis because doing that just brings you right to the exact same point in the case or statute that you were looking at instead of opening up the actual link. you have to right click and click open in a new tab to get it to work right.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

if you've ever actually loaded anything off a tape with the Commodore Datasette, you'll have noticed that the motor stops automatically at the FOUND prompt, and starts moving automatically when you press a keyboard key

wtf this never happened

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I can find NOTHING on the internet about a Commodore 64 using the Datasette motor for sound effects now, but I'm sure I didn't just make it up myself :(

Carthag Tuek posted:

wtf this never happened

jerry has lost his marbles for good

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

3D Megadoodoo posted:

there were demos that used the Amiga disk drive to play music

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

President Beep posted:

jerry has lost his marbles for good

:rip:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

axolotl farmer posted:

there were demos that used the Amiga disk drive to play music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT0JOIPxyE8

e: lol at ejecting while its playing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also god i miss the c64/amiga demo scene

modern demos dont do anything for me, even 4k demos cheat by using directx or whatever

nice, a 2021 c64 demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXVQfPRs_ns

moskau! moskau!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

hey when someone had a tape drive backup, what was the benefit? density back then?

and hows it work? did it manage its own start/stop?

tape drives like c64 intrigue me I guess because the computer has no control over the data coming in. I suppose it was slow.

tape backups are still used all over the place for archival purposes. i got IT to restore tape backups of things (usually the design stuff is archived after a product is released) couple times at intel and the economist had a good article about it recently:

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2020/12/15/magnetic-tape-has-a-surprisingly-promising-future

quote:

Demand for more storage will certainly be there. Estimates suggest that four times more data will be generated in 2025 than in 2019. In the part of the data-storage market where tape currently reigns supreme, it is likely to remain so for a while.

The biggest threat to tape comes from the flash-drive technology used in sd cards and usb sticks. Flash relies on a flow of electrons through transistors, rather than on magnetised particles read by mechanical components, so it is capable of better data densities even than hard disks. Lack of moving parts also makes such solid-state devices faster at writing and retrieving information. Flash drives are, however, more costly than magnetic storage and do not last as long. This makes them ten times more expensive per byte per year of storage than hard disks, and nearly 50 times more expensive than tape. They are therefore too dear to use for anything but the most important jewels in the data vault. Until that changes, the reel is likely to continue.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

four times more data will be generated in 2025 than in 2019

that seems low

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

that seems low

well they banned trump from Twitter, so that’s a lot of lost content there

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

tape or tape-likes are still the cheapest way to store a LOT of data you don’t access, but the tipping point gets higher every year

right now that’s like 10-50 PB.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
how long is data on tape good for?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

iirc data center stuff like lto advertises 30 years

hard to keep the drives and around and usable for that long tho, so most places have a library management where they rotate out media to newer formats

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

well they banned trump from Twitter, so that’s a lot of lost content there

fair

i would still say at least 5-10x tho

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

President Beep posted:

how long is data on tape good for?

until your dad hears ccr on the radio and tapes over it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

until your dad hears ccr on the radio and tapes over it

i believe you mean late night cinemaxx

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

duz posted:

i like to think there's a special place in hell for web devs that break that functionality, e.g. the dinguses at atlassian

edit: if we're talking LTO the latest is LTO9 which is like 45TB compressed or something. i've been semi-seriously considering a SAS LTO tape drive for home poo poo.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 15, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i like to think there's a special place in hell for web devs that break that functionality, e.g. the dinguses at atlassian
mega agreedo, gently caress jira making it harder to open the drat ticket instead of the lovely little preview pane

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

tape backups are still used all over the place for archival purposes

sick

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i've been semi-seriously considering a SAS LTO tape drive for home poo poo.

ever consider you dont have to store a pile of g--oh, nevermind

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

ever consider you dont have to store a pile of g--oh, nevermind

hey, my desires are half just hobbyist wanting to run a SAS LTO tape drive!

but yeah the other half is the pile!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

echinopsis posted:

hey when someone had a tape drive backup, what was the benefit? density back then?

and hows it work? did it manage its own start/stop?

depends on the era, but generally tape drives work in terms of “files” made up of consistently-sized blocks of data—512 bytes typically, though most modern tape systems support varying the size as long as it’s consistent within a file—with “marks” between them made up blocks of repeated data (e.g. a mark might be two blocks of zeros)

the drive does manage its own start/stop, the commands it responds to are typically things like “read 128 blocks of 512 bytes” and “write these 17 blocks of 8192 bytes”

having the marks between files does allow some more intelligent drives to support seeking back and forth between files, similar to a disk; in the 1970s and early 1980s there were even some systems that used small tapes for random-access storage instead of sequential-access:

• HP DC100 on the HP 9825
  • DECtape II (which used the same tapes that were developed for HP DC100, but with DEC-specific formatting—in that the tape had to be formatted to be used, unlike an HP DC100)
  • Coleco Adam (yes really)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

echinopsis posted:

also did ram doublers or doublespace actually do anything at all

Connectix RAMdoubler worked exactly as advertised, it replaced the system pager with one that evicted pages from the working set by compressing them and sending them to another area of memory, and only writing them to disk if that was also filling up

you need a certain level of CPU performance for this to be reasonable because compressing pages and managing the compressed page area has to be fast, but once it is you can effectively get way better performance out of a virtual memory system

RAMdoubler also made a few other changes to how the operating system managed application and OS memory so as to increase sharing, reduce overhead, and allow memory partitions allocated to applications to be temporarily used for other data without affecting the applications they belonged to

all this means that I can install RAMdoubler on a Mac with a 68030, 68040, or PowerPC CPU and it really is like installing more RAM in it and only software that does hardcore low-level memory management (like older versions of Macintosh Common Lisp) even notices

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah you couldnt customize the appearance at the time

this is a feature not a bug

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

doh, 150KB/s not 150Kb/s

what’s an order of magnitude between friends

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

tape backups are still used all over the place for archival purposes. i got IT to restore tape backups of things (usually the design stuff is archived after a product is released) couple times at intel and the economist had a good article about it recently:

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2020/12/15/magnetic-tape-has-a-surprisingly-promising-future

and good Ciaphas works on tape robot software too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

eschaton claims the quint

the questions is, how will rotor respond to this stealing of his crown?