Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Actual WandaVision reviews are out, and in this case, they're largely in line with last week's Twitter reactions. some of them do contain bits I would consider spoilery (albeit nothing massive, given that only the first three episodes were provided to critics), so be warned

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/wandavision
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/wandavision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:siren: Ok, spoiler tags are in effect for 48 hours after release on D+ (ie, giving people Friday and Saturday to watch and catch up). :siren:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 20, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Can I ask a general MCU question here? I'm rewatching the first Avengers movie and what is Tony Stark doing at the beginning? He's underwater and cuts open what I assume is a power line and then puts some device on it. Pepper mentions something about being off the grid and then they turn on the arc reactor to power Stark Tower so uh, what was that thing? Some kind of device to trick the power company into thinking Stark Tower was still pulling electricity? What's the point of that when it's already public knowledge who Iron Man is and Tony is already working with the government?

Yeah yeah comic book movie etc etc etc

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:f5: It's Friday here, Disney.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gaz-L posted:

:f5: It's Friday here, Disney.

AFAIK, premiere time is midnight PST/3AM EST/whatever that is where you live, a bit over seven hours from now. though you likely already know that

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Can I ask a general MCU question here? I'm rewatching the first Avengers movie and what is Tony Stark doing at the beginning? He's underwater and cuts open what I assume is a power line and then puts some device on it. Pepper mentions something about being off the grid and then they turn on the arc reactor to power Stark Tower so uh, what was that thing? Some kind of device to trick the power company into thinking Stark Tower was still pulling electricity? What's the point of that when it's already public knowledge who Iron Man is and Tony is already working with the government?

Yeah yeah comic book movie etc etc etc

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that was the arc reactor. Don't know why he would do it in the middle of the river instead of at the base of the tower but that's what I got out of it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
See I thought that too at first but there's a few times where they show computer images of the tower and it looks like the arc reactor is underground. Pepper says "you disconnected the transmission lines, are we off the grid?" when Tony's flying back from doing whatever he's doing, which is what confused me in the first place haha.

It's a really dumb thing to get hung up on and I know that the actual answer is probably "audience's are here to see cgi man punch each other who cares?" but it was something I noticed the first time seeing the movie in theaters and I am still not sure what's actually going on. Are marvel movies just too deep for me??

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

No, it is sort of nonsensical, I think the main reason it's there is to have Tony in the suit doing something related to turning on the arc reactor, but away from Stark Tower so we can get an establishing shot of the tower powering up. And also that nifty scene of Tony taking off the armor when he gets back.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

See I thought that too at first but there's a few times where they show computer images of the tower and it looks like the arc reactor is underground. Pepper says "you disconnected the transmission lines, are we off the grid?" when Tony's flying back from doing whatever he's doing, which is what confused me in the first place haha.

It's a really dumb thing to get hung up on and I know that the actual answer is probably "audience's are here to see cgi man punch each other who cares?" but it was something I noticed the first time seeing the movie in theaters and I am still not sure what's actually going on. Are marvel movies just too deep for me??

He's disabling the power transmission lines to Stark Tower without a city permit. Rebel that he is.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
So VisionWanda is coming out at midnight eastern, right?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Barry Convex posted:

AFAIK, premiere time is midnight PST/3AM EST/whatever that is where you live, a bit over seven hours from now. though you likely already know that

Oh nvm. I looked up thread. Thanks

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Barry Convex posted:

Didn't the Mandalorian drop its first episodes earlier than expected? Or was that The Boys? I don't remember.

Anyways, it's gonna be like 2:00 am over here when it premieres. Just gonna sleep and wait until early in the morning.

(btw hello MCU TV thread, I'm here for my needed MCU dose)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Desperado Bones posted:

Didn't the Mandalorian drop its first episodes earlier than expected? Or was that The Boys? I don't remember.

Anyways, it's gonna be like 2:00 am over here when it premieres. Just gonna sleep and wait until early in the morning.

(btw hello MCU TV thread, I'm here for my needed MCU dose)

That was the Boys. Disney Plus stuff drops at pst midnight.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Dammit, why can't they be cool like Prime?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Disney has always made bank on nostalgia, angst and limited offerings. They suck.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'm not far into the first episode I think there are going to be a lot of confused MCU fans. I'm very curious to see where this goes.

edit:

Lol, after watching the first episode I understand why they released two. This is going to be interesting to see reactions to. The first episode does almost feels like a lost Bewitched knock off that could have been on Nick at Nite in the early 90s. People can't say all MCU stuff feels samey anymore.

The credits are at least 6 minutes long.

The first episode is about 22 minutes long and the second episode is 29 and a half minutes.

edit 2:

lol the intro/episode is actually going full Bewitched.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 15, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's weird, the episodes were not showing up for me until i straight up searched for them. Not even the New On Disney Plus thing showed it, and selecting the banner just took me to the Marvel section of D+.

Paul Bettany should be a bigger star.

This really, really captures how crummy but charming old sitcom writing.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 15, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The second episode is better than the first. Vision's gum plot is just ridiculous

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
IS there two episodes every week or is it just this week?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I believe just this week.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the awkward sitcom situations are rotting me from the inside but they've got me

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006
Dammit I was super excited and watched the first episode as soon as it went live and then I had to teach a lesson online and then the show disappeared from Disney+

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That was very cute, though I don't think anything here will particularly surprise anyone who, well, knew anything about these characters or this show.

I hope the episodes get longer 'cuz dang

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think we can all agree that Señor Scratchy is the star of Wandavision.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
I've only watched the first episode so far and some thoughts about the end of the first episode:

The use of the phosphor dots to make up the late title sequence elements is a very cool nod to this all being trapped in a tv show.

Also from the notepad on the observers desk it is S.W.O.R.D. that is watching and maybe controlling things here isn't it?

It was also incredibly nice after 18 months to hear the Marvel Studios intro music at the start of something new again.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

HERAK posted:

I've only watched the first episode so far and some thoughts about the end of the first episode:

The use of the phosphor dots to make up the late title sequence elements is a very cool nod to this all being trapped in a tv show.

Also from the notepad on the observers desk it is S.W.O.R.D. that is watching and maybe controlling things here isn't it?

It was also incredibly nice after 18 months to hear the Marvel Studios intro music at the start of something new again.

In episode two There's a guy in a beekeeper suit with a SWORD logo, so they're clearly involved.

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 15, 2021

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I think it's two episodes this week because of their classic sitcom length, going forward it's one longer episode a week? Not 100% though.

I don't think Sword are controlling the bubble in a Truman style way. From the bashing sounds, drones, sewer beekeeper & radio messages it seems like Sword are trying to force their way in to the sitcom bubble. And judging from the radio messages they are under the impression that someone else is inflicting this on Wanda etc.

The choking scene is a pretty good clue about the set-up. The boss challenges details of the reality and begins to choke. The wife's repeated 'stop it' is actually aimed at Wanda. Vision only acts when given express instruction because he's not real.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

JoylessJester posted:

I don't think Sword are controlling the bubble in a Truman style way. From the bashing sounds, drones, sewer beekeeper & radio messages it seems like Sword are trying to force their way in to the sitcom bubble. And judging from the radio messages they are under the impression that someone else is inflicting this on Wanda etc.

The choking scene is a pretty good clue about the set-up. The boss challenges details of the reality and begins to choke. The wife's repeated 'stop it' is actually aimed at Wanda. Vision only acts when given express instruction because he's not real.

I think the fake TV ads are giving us clues of what or who is behind all of this. I mean, Hydra's name casually showing kinda sets a lot of alarms. I have no clue about Stark Industries. Stolen tech? I'm starting to think that couple are probably Hydra agents or something. I just love to speculate so all might be nothing.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Wow, they have full dubbing in Japanese, Italian, Spanish, French, and Portuguese. It's hilarious watching this in Japanese somehow.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I feel like Vision is really there, and whoever is running things (if it isn't Wanda) has him processing insane amounts of data as hinted in his work scene.

But also, Wanda could be creating and running the bubble, since she seems able to rewind time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Victorkm posted:

But also, Wanda could be creating and running the bubble, since she seems able to rewind time.

She basically has to be, because when the Sword Beekeeper emerged from the sewers, after apparently bashing his way in to whatever's going on, she takes on a completely different stance/tone, like some deeper awareness was at work, refused to accept that something was going to disturb her new reality and just magics it away, rewinding time and adjusting things so that not only did the beekeeper not arrive, but that all the weirdness she'd noticed earlier in the day (i.e. color) was now normal. If this Vision isn't real, and I don't think he is, then I do wonder if their kids (presumably Speed and Wiccan) seen in the trailers will be real either. One would assume not, given the method of their inception, and speed of the pregnacy. It's magic though, so who knows. Or if they'll simply disappear after the reality is burst, rather than becoming a new element of the MCU going forward. And if they are, can Vision, already questioning what's going on, make himself a real boy by force of will. Or can Wanda keep Vision and/or the kids, while the rest fades.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 15, 2021

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I was just happy to see Emma Caulfield again. She looks fantastic considering Buffy finished 18 years ago.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

tsob posted:

She basically has to be, because when the Sword Beekeeper emerged from the sewers, after apparently bashing his way in to whatever's going on, she takes on a completely different stance/tone, like some deeper awareness was at work, refused to accept that something was going to disturb her new reality and just magics it away, rewinding time and adjusting things so that not only did the beekeeper not arrive, but that all the weirdness she'd noticed earlier in the day (i.e. color) was now normal. If this Vision isn't real, and I don't think he is, then I do wonder if their kids (presumably Speed and Wiccan) seen in the trailers will be real either. One would assume not, given the method of their inception, and speed of the pregnacy. It's magic though, so who knows. Or if they'll simply disappear after the reality is burst, rather than becoming a new element of the MCU going forward. And if they are, can Vision, already questioning what's going on, make himself a real boy by force of will. Or can Wanda keep Vision and/or the kids, while the rest fades.

My guess is that Wanda grabbed a partial copy of Vision from Wakanda and is trying to put him back together, and is in a coma-like state held by SWORD. Everything that is happening is happening inside her mind.

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 15, 2021

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The ad in the second episode was about Stucker giving you time, so I wouldn't rule out Hydras involvement. I did always think Stucker got taken out real easy in the MCU.

I know he has a SWORD logo but I'm calling that that's Swarm, because the Nazi bee dude is second only to stilt man in my list of hilarious villains I want in the MCU.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well, I have no idea what is going on. I mean, I think it's clear that Wanda is creating the reality, and someone is trying to break in, but that's about it.

I also have a feeling there are plenty of Easter Eggs I'm missing. I noticed a few (Sword and Hydra logos), but I'm sure there's more.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Enjoyed both episodes so far. I think they nailed the aesthetic in those and I'm interested how this all plays out.

Am disappointed by the run time. Was really hoping for longer. drat Disney+ having 10minutes of end credits to give false hope

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Digital Jedi posted:

Enjoyed both episodes so far. I think they nailed the aesthetic in those and I'm interested how this all plays out.

Am disappointed by the run time. Was really hoping for longer. drat Disney+ having 10minutes of end credits to give false hope

Yeah, the episode to credits ratio is a bit off. I guess that's an advantage of streaming, since they wouldn't put that into a TV time slot..

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Digital Jedi posted:

One thing I enjoyed about both episodes is that they put a little clue on the mystery of the show in after the main episode has wrapped and just before the credits sequence, which makes it feel analogous to the credits stuff in the movies. I love what the whole thing says about Wanda too, presuming that she's the one creating and trapping herself. She presumably grew up watching old reruns of shows like Bewitched on television in Sokovia, so views it as an ideal life because it's what she saw as happiness in her youth.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

AgentHaiTo posted:

Wow, they have full dubbing in Japanese, Italian, Spanish, French, and Portuguese. It's hilarious watching this in Japanese somehow.

They've been dubbing the Disney+ Originals in a bunch of languages for countries where they've not launched yet for a while (Mandalorian S1 doesn't have Japanese dub, S2 does) - weirdly a lot of languages with a dub but no subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

thrawn527 posted:

I also have a feeling there are plenty of Easter Eggs I'm missing. I noticed a few (Sword and Hydra logos), but I'm sure there's more.

There's a clever little Easter egg in the dinner scene. The wine she pours is called Maison du Mepris, which translates to "House of Contempt." But there's emphasis on the M on the neck of the bottle, suggesting House of Mepris/House of M. House of M being the big Marvel story where Wanda rewrote reality on Earth completely.