Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yo is that Beekeeper the MCU take on Swarm? Let’s gooooooo

First two episodes were fantastic, even more so if you’ve seen the shows from the eras they’re each based of. They definitely got me hooked with the framing of each episode and where things could go.

My thoughts: This is almost entirely all of Wanda’s doing. SWORD is playing containment around whatever area Wanda is affecting while trying to get in/make contact. They think someone is causing her to do this and we’ve seen the Strukker watch and maybe Swarm but I think those are ultimately misdirections/nightmares from Wanda’s past realizing within her reality. I’m curious to see what the goal here is from all aspects and hopefully finding out how Wanda ended in this situation in the first place

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
verdict: I enjoyed the first two episodes and admire the commitment to the pastiche, but I'm not entirely convinced that the series needed to spend as much time establishing the alternate sitcom reality as it does; I suspect that those pacing decisions will hold up better in the context of the series as a whole, but Disney+ is doing weekly releases so I can only judge the episodes on that basis for now. anyway, very much looking forward to seeing where this goes

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I suspect the reasoning they did two episodes of old black and white sitcoms is that they wanted one episode in pure black and white where everything is mostly normal and clues to the abnormality of it only emerge at the end, and also wanted to put in a thing where Wanda sees hints of color around the place before everything becomes colorful at the end and thought that worked best as two seperate episodes, since if there was hints of color in episode one it'd throw off the feeling of normality and make it less of a simple pastiche until near the end of the episode.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A note about the first commercial: the toaster very much resembles what Ultron's original form looked like in the comics.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yo is that Beekeeper the MCU take on Swarm? Let’s gooooooo

I thought it might be Wanda's subconscious interpreting the classic AIM outfits. That doesn't really fit with the sword logo, but neither would swarm.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

episode 1 The only thing in color at all in the first episode is the little red light on the Stark toaster. And the Stark slogan: "Forget the past, this is your future!" definitely isn't ominous at all.

I'm pretty all the slogans in the little in-universe commercials are going to end up being foreshadowing, now that I think about it for a second. It's too perfect a setup.

Wylie fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 15, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

tsob posted:

I suspect the reasoning they did two episodes of old black and white sitcoms is that they wanted one episode in pure black and white where everything is mostly normal and clues to the abnormality of it only emerge at the end, and also wanted to put in a thing where Wanda sees hints of color around the place before everything becomes colorful at the end and thought that worked best as two seperate episodes, since if there was hints of color in episode one it'd throw off the feeling of normality and make it less of a simple pastiche until near the end of the episode.

Sure, but for now I feel like the general gist could have been condensed into one B&W episode. But like I said, I think the pacing here will more likely than not pay off later.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gavok posted:

A note about the first commercial: the toaster very much resembles what Ultron's original form looked like in the comics.

Also reminds me of the joke Vision tells Wanda on a flashback on Tom King's miniseries .

Do we know if the sitcom eras go to the 2010s? If that's so, then we could be getting 7 episode of sitcoms and 2 of full on "real world" plot

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Sure, but for now I feel like the general gist could have been condensed into one B&W episode. But like I said, I think the pacing here will more likely than not pay off later.

I think they were going for a "Dick Van Dyke Show"/"I Love Lucy" vibe in the first episode, and doing "Bewitched" for the next one is perfect because it's "Bewitched," and that show actually did shoot in both black-and-white and in color, so it's a natural to do the transition with.

Wylie fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 15, 2021

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Wow the entire house layout changed in episode 2

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

There haven't been any previous hints in the MCU that Wanda has reality-altering or magical powers, as opposed to basically just being Jean Grey, right? So that's something I assume this show will address, on top of the even more obvious questions of how this sitcom world exists and why Vision is alive again.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
I really liked the gag in episode 1: the English Accented Vision saying "She's European", about the American (accented) Wanda, I know it's accurate, but still made me happy!

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Enjoyed both episodes so far. I think they nailed the aesthetic in those and I'm interested how this all plays out.

I liked both episodes but sometimes the aesthetic felt just a little off to me. Sometimes the camera's a bit too dynamic or Wanda's clothing is a just a smidge too modern, but really just small things. I'm totally hooked.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, the episode to credits ratio is a bit off. I guess that's an advantage of streaming, since they wouldn't put that into a TV time slot..

Disney + is bad for it. I was rewatching Gravity Falls and the Gravity Falls shorts are more than 50% credits by run time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mochiballs posted:

I liked both episodes but sometimes the aesthetic felt just a little off to me. Sometimes the camera's a bit too dynamic or Wanda's clothing is a just a smidge too modern, but really just small things. I'm totally hooked.

Her outfit in the second episode is explicitly off, and she gets called out for it. She's wearing pants for one thing, while everyone else is wearing a dress. The cut of the whole outfit is quite modern regardless, but it's obviously meant to stand out; presumably to make her look out of place, and be one more abnormal thing about the whole scenario.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

With this leading directly to Dr Strange 2 I am wondering if She is in a battle with Nightmare. He has been a Dr Strange villain usually, but it would fit her being trapped in a nightmare realm. Maybe sword is trying to save her and she doesn't realize it yet so is fighting them too?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I cannot express how disappointed I was in episode 2 that the helicopter in color wasn't the Thanos Copter from his early comics appearance

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Fun show, nice creepy undertone going on under the saccharine sweet surface.
the helicopter was vision / iron Man colours

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

ookiimarukochan posted:

They've been dubbing the Disney+ Originals in a bunch of languages for countries where they've not launched yet for a while (Mandalorian S1 doesn't have Japanese dub, S2 does) - weirdly a lot of languages with a dub but no subtitles.

Oh wow, I gotta rewatch Mandalorian S2 in Japanese now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gavok posted:

There's a clever little Easter egg in the dinner scene. The wine she pours is called Maison du Mepris, which translates to "House of Contempt." But there's emphasis on the M on the neck of the bottle, suggesting House of Mepris/House of M. House of M being the big Marvel story where Wanda rewrote reality on Earth completely.

Comics stuff: In the same way they used Planet Hulk stuff in Ragnarok, I'm assuming this is how House of M is happening in the MCU, except with vision being the loss instead of the kids. Also at the end of this one she's gonna say "No more Inhumans"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm just glad the streaming format is actually being used to let episodes have whatever runtime the episode needs rather than forcing things to hit the 22/44 minute lengths because That's How Long TV Shows Are. That was always a complaint I had about the marvel Netflix stuff, they released it in one big chunk like a movie, but split into 13 episodes but every single one has a cliffhanger...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

thrawn527 posted:

Well, I have no idea what is going on. I mean, I think it's clear that Wanda is creating the reality, and someone is trying to break in, but that's about it.

I also have a feeling there are plenty of Easter Eggs I'm missing. I noticed a few (Sword and Hydra logos), but I'm sure there's more.

I didn't see the SWORD logo but I thought that a bee keeper was a reference to the traditional uniform of AIM in the comic

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

There haven't been any previous hints in the MCU that Wanda has reality-altering or magical powers, as opposed to basically just being Jean Grey, right? So that's something I assume this show will address, on top of the even more obvious questions of how this sitcom world exists and why Vision is alive again.

In the MCU, Wanda got her powers by being experimented on with the Mind Stone itself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jivjov posted:

I'm just glad the streaming format is actually being used to let episodes have whatever runtime the episode needs rather than forcing things to hit the 22/44 minute lengths because That's How Long TV Shows Are. That was always a complaint I had about the marvel Netflix stuff, they released it in one big chunk like a movie, but split into 13 episodes but every single one has a cliffhanger...

That's explicitly to make you binge it though. No one's going to sit through a 13 hour megaepisode and no one's going to slam that 'next episode' button if there's nothing to make you want to see what happens next.

Netflix usually just makes episodes however long they feel like, which has mixed results. Arrested Development had some 40 minute episodes that felt like they were 3 hours long.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 15, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Wandavision is phenomenal holy crap

The yakkety sax bit ohhh my god lol

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Did anyone else think that the bee bloke looked kind of wrong and rotten? at first I thought it was a bunch of flies around him. creepy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

stev posted:

That's explicitly to make you binge it though. No one's going to sit through a 13 hour megaepisode and no one's going to slam that 'next episode' button if there's nothing to make you want to see what happens next.

Netflix usually just makes episodes however long they feel like, which has mixed results. Arrested Development had some 40 minute episodes that felt like they were 3 hours long.

there was definitely an expectation in streaming TV dramas for many years - and to what extent this was self-imposed by creatives, versus mandated by studio/streamer higher-ups, I honestly don't know - that everything should be structured as one single narrative broken into episode-length chapters, with more episodic types of story structure frowned upon; the Marvel Netflix shows were very much an example of that, often to their detriment (i.e. Jessica Jones would have worked much better with a procedural element than with each season focusing on only one major antagonist).

imo, it's only in the past few years that there's been a pronounced shift away from the "everything is a 13-hour movie" storytelling model (though we still get a lot of those sorts of shows, they just don't dominate streaming dramas as much as they used to)

Wylie posted:

In the MCU, Wanda got her powers by being experimented on with the Mind Stone itself.

well, yeah (there's speculation that WandaVision might retcon that in some way, but we'll see), but that doesn't directly have to do with the question

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 15, 2021

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1350192570052321280

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I’m not falling for this Marvel, I refuse to care about Moon Knight :argh:

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa

Mochiballs posted:

In Ep 1 during the dinner scene, when the boss starts chocking, the cinematography/lighting style totally changes. Thought that might be a hint that whatever was happening wasn't "supposed" to be happening

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m not falling for this Marvel, I refuse to care about Moon Knight :argh:

Yes it's fake. I don't care.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
I really wish that they had shot the exteriors on film.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

rabidcowfromhell posted:

In Ep 1 during the dinner scene, when the boss starts chocking, the cinematography/lighting style totally changes. Thought that might be a hint that whatever was happening wasn't "supposed" to be happening

I noticed that too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

jivjov posted:

Ironically Wandavision appears to be sticking to a TV half hour because That's How Long TV Shows Are (were)

I might be imagining it and couldn't really see clearly on my screen, but in the first episode: was that Coulson leaving the boss's office?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Interesting Easter egg someone pointed out: During the second episode's intro, when cartoon Vision is floating through the house, Grim Reaper's helmet is for some reason laying around in-between the floors.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

rabidcowfromhell posted:

I think the fact that his wife was acting like a broken machine on a loop until Vision played out the scene was a pretty big hint there.

HERAK posted:

It was also incredibly nice after 18 months to hear the Marvel Studios intro music at the start of something new again.

It feels a bit self indulgent. Like I get having it at the start of the series, or in front of a massive blockbuster film, but having that sort of bombast at the start of every single episode (especially when the show is trying to do something a bit more low key) seems silly.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 15, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really liked WandaVision so far. Can't wait for the next episodes where inevitably more of the MCU bleeds into it we already have Stark Tech and HYDRA as well as a lot of probably not real hints to more people coming. Oh and Strucker got taken out in Agents of SHIELD back when the MCU and AoS were still coordinating.

More importantly this has me excited for future MCU stuff because it seems like they will employ a lot of other genres. I hope the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special references of flat out rips from the Star Wars Holidsy special, but good. Maybe we will see Groot's family and meet lady Groot and such.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

swickles posted:

I really liked WandaVision so far. Can't wait for the next episodes where inevitably more of the MCU bleeds into it we already have Stark Tech and HYDRA as well as a lot of probably not real hints to more people coming. Oh and Strucker got taken out in Agents of SHIELD back when the MCU and AoS were still coordinating.

More importantly this has me excited for future MCU stuff because it seems like they will employ a lot of other genres. I hope the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special references of flat out rips from the Star Wars Holidsy special, but good. Maybe we will see Groot's family and meet lady Groot and such.

Drax gets high on space coke and sings a song about Arbor Day

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Gavok posted:

And the second commercial: Strucker is the scientist and leader of Hydra who supercharges the Twins. Both commercials are heavily referential to Wanda and Vision's "Creators." Stark, Ultron, Strucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I feel like the first two episodes could've easily been combined into one. It was a struggle to maintain my attention, I needed more interesting things to happen.