Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
297 Speedscans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Ah so Tartarus is Impel Down, got it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't recognize all the convicts - Moonfish and Muscular, sure, but not the guy who's saying "father" or the woman who let him out. Also, no Stain yet?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is that last guy Compress or someone new entirely?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's Overhaul, look no hands! The girl is new though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"This is the story of how I will become the greatest demon lord"

:getin:

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Piss-poor imitation of Impel Down. But yeah, the similarity (in description at least) occurred to me too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My initial thought was the Raft from Marvel, but the way the tiers are broken up is very Impel Down, yeah

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crosspeice posted:

It's Overhaul, look no hands! The girl is new though.

Ahh that makes sense, I couldn't remember which arm Compress lost. Not sure how much use Overhaul is though unless he can like headbutt people and use his quirk.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

jassa posted:

Piss-poor imitation of Impel Down. But yeah, the similarity (in description at least) occurred to me too.

Arist posted:

My initial thought was the Raft from Marvel, but the way the tiers are broken up is very Impel Down, yeah

They're all just the hell from Dante's Inferno, you rubes

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Eggplant Squire posted:

Ahh that makes sense, I couldn't remember which arm Compress lost. Not sure how much use Overhaul is though unless he can like headbutt people and use his quirk.

Nah, Overhaul's quirk requires his hands. That's why Shiggy took em in the first place. However if Overhaul does actually get out, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go after Eri to try and force her to fix him

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

Pretty sure without his arms Overhaul is both quirkless and useless (which is exactly why Shigaraki chopped them off to begin with), but we’ll see I guess.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Eri might not be the only way to fix his arms, especially since All For One's on the scene now and could maybe transfer some kind of regeneration quirk into Overhaul in return for his loyalty.

In fact, that could be an interesting point of contention between AFO and Shigaraki/The League, since the latter hate Overhaul but the former can probably see the use in recruiting him. If Spinner and the rest haven't figured out Shigaraki isn't himself yet, seeing him buddying up with Overhaul would do the trick.

Edit: Actually, would Overhaul's quirk let him heal AFO? The "Overhaul" ability is about disassembling and reassembling, and I think there was something about him using that on one of his lieutenants to take him apart and put him back together again. There always seemed to be a weird amount of overlap between Overhaul and Eri's abilities.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 15, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can kind of see how the series might be about to enter endgame if we're already jumping to AfO's escape. One more arc of cleanup and training to get Deku into fighting shape and deal with the fallout of the last arc, then have AfO launch his master plan.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And of course there's no redundant security systems in case it goes down.
Why would there ever be one in a maximum security prison?

Can't say I was expecting Sunset Shimmer to be a prisoner though

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 16, 2021

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That may have been stain squatting in the earlier panel of people still in their rooms.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're all just the hell from Dante's Inferno, you rubes

Pretty sure that hell isn't a government run supermax ultra prison off in the middle of the ocean, full of superpowered criminals who are incarcerated without trial and split up into specifically six levels of severity. Though I'll grant that Impel Down borrows from Dante far more explicitly. :v:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

CuwiKhons posted:

Nah, Overhaul's quirk requires his hands. That's why Shiggy took em in the first place. However if Overhaul does actually get out, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go after Eri to try and force her to fix him

I would love a confrontation where Overhaul tries to manipulate Eri into helping him again only for her to tell him to gently caress off(but in a much nicer Eri way).

Either that or she takes a swing at him with that sword she got for Christmas.

I also hope we get a Deku/Muscular rematch where Deku just annihilates him.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 15, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rhonne posted:

I would love a confrontation where Overhaul tries to manipulate Eri into helping him again only for her to tell him to gently caress off(but in a much nicer Eri way).

Either that or she takes a swing at him with that sword she got for Christmas.

I also hope we get a Deku/Muscular rematch where Deku just annihilates him.
Other possibilites:

1. All For One just takes his quirk.

2. He escapes and finds or somehow ends up meeting the main cast- his "redemption" moment isn't him asking for Eri to fix him but upon finding out she can control her quirk - asking her to fix her Grandpa/his adoptive father, maybe even saying he doesn't deserve his arms back.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Other possibilites:

1. All For One just takes his quirk.

2. He escapes and finds or somehow ends up meeting the main cast- his "redemption" moment isn't him asking for Eri to fix him but upon finding out she can control her quirk - asking her to fix her Grandpa/his adoptive father, maybe even saying he doesn't deserve his arms back.

One thing that saddens me with the "endgame" rushing in like this is it seems we're just never going to see this character moment and many others like it ever actually cashed out on panel.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Couldnt they just juice Overhaul up with the power boost drug? I could be wrong but didnt that drug make quirks change slightly? The big guy who fought Ryuko being able to drain energy without touching anyone when his quirk meant he had to normally.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It would be really funny if Stain just ambushes OfA and just drops him mid-breakout. No way it would happen but what a return.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 16, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Couldnt they just juice Overhaul up with the power boost drug? I could be wrong but didnt that drug make quirks change slightly? The big guy who fought Ryuko being able to drain energy without touching anyone when his quirk meant he had to normally.

Powered up Overhaul manages to use his quirk to grow his hands back but the shift in body-mass causes him to shrink a full 2 feet.

Oversmall.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If AfO takes Overhaul's Quirk, he could then rebuild his body back to pre-injury form, couldn't he?

Watch that now proceed to not happen

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 16, 2021

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
A prison where prisoners deemed dangerous to society are held before their sentences are decided? As in, before they've been formally charged with anything? Might be an artifact of speedscan translation, but that's my intuitive read of that bit of exposition.

Run by at least one person who doesn't consider imprisoned villains to be fully human, talking to another person who tells him "cut it out, I agree with you that human rights violations are fine against these loving animals, but what if it gets on Twitter."

Horikoshi really churning out the "this society is hosed" worldbuilding at this point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Poltergrift posted:

A prison where prisoners deemed dangerous to society are held before their sentences are decided? As in, before they've been formally charged with anything? Might be an artifact of speedscan translation, but that's my intuitive read of that bit of exposition.

Run by at least one person who doesn't consider imprisoned villains to be fully human, talking to another person who tells him "cut it out, I agree with you that human rights violations are fine against these loving animals, but what if it gets on Twitter."

Horikoshi really churning out the "this society is hosed" worldbuilding at this point.

So Impel Down then?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
On one hand, human rights violations. On the other hand, you really just can't put someone like AFO in a cell down at county until the trial.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larryb posted:

So Impel Down then?

Or Guantanamo Bay.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

On one hand, human rights violations. On the other hand, you really just can't put someone like AFO in a cell down at county until the trial.

Also guys like Muscular and Moonfish who are always talking about how much they love murder. I'm also pretty sure Moonfish is a cannibal.

Overhaul being here is kind of odd since he's basically harmless now, but we need to get all of Deku's enemies in one place.

Wonder if the Sludge villain is here too?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

:siren:Also I just want to reiterate, for people who might have missed it before, that Wark Say and I decided that until the official English translation comes out, spoiler tags should be used when discussing the latest chapters.:siren:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Or Guantanamo Bay.

Well if Guantanamo Bay also were designed to function like Impel Down. If you haven't read One Piece I strongly recommend it, it's the best-written series still running in Shonen Jump and has been for decades.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want to see whatever trial they put on for Moonfish.

"In the case of the murder and cannibalism of 17 children, how does the defense plead?"

"Yes I murdered and ate all 25 of those kindergartners."

"..."

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

On the upside here, since Machia and the rest of the criminals that were just arrested explicitly aren't in Tartarus yet, none of them can be freed. That leaves the heroes' partial win still on the board, even if it's definitely not going to feel like it. However it does raise the question - if Tartarus is totally hosed, where do you put Machia and the lads now?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

On the upside here, since Machia and the rest of the criminals that were just arrested explicitly aren't in Tartarus yet, none of them can be freed. That leaves the heroes' partial win still on the board, even if it's definitely not going to feel like it. However it does raise the question - if Tartarus is totally hosed, where do you put Machia and the lads now?

Gigantomachia won't do much without orders from his master, so as long as All For One doesn't feel the need to retrieve him anytime soon, Machia should be relatively simple to contain. Not sure about the rest of the Liberation Army though.

I do like how All For One has almost immediately traded out the Liberation Army, with their lofty ideals and vision for a new world, with a bunch of deranged serial killers who just want to wreck poo poo and obedient nomu.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

Also guys like Muscular and Moonfish who are always talking about how much they love murder. I'm also pretty sure Moonfish is a cannibal.

Overhaul being here is kind of odd since he's basically harmless now, but we need to get all of Deku's enemies in one place.

Wonder if the Sludge villain is here too?

Even without his powers, Overhaul is still a guy who has ties to the Quirk Yakuza, so it's probably a good idea to lock him down somewhere that would be hard for his friends to break him out of.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Poltergrift posted:

It's super duper hosed up, but the existence of honest to god superpowers makes the entire concept of criminal justice really loving weird relative to the real world. IRL if someone is accused of a crime you can stick them in a drunk tank or county jail for a couple days until their charges are sorted out, because normal people can't really do anything dangerous in that situation. The equation changes when the accused can shoot fire out of their hands or bend steel bars.

Is it even possible to make an ethical decision when it comes to stopping people from potentially harming others when the means to grievously harm/kill others is an integral part of their body?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xarbala posted:

Well if Guantanamo Bay also were designed to function like Impel Down. If you haven't read One Piece I strongly recommend it, it's the best-written series still running in Shonen Jump and has been for decades.

Sure, but nothing in the post quoted by the post I quoted was specific to Impel Down, it was just all about a prison that engages in extreme human rights abuses, run by people who don't even see the inmates as human. Heck, the point of "it'd sure be terrible if our dehumanization of the inmates were learned by the public" thing seems inapplicable to Impel Down, unless I'm forgetting something.

Tartarus is basically a modern prison, except literally modeled after (a) hell rather than just metaphorically being one.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 16, 2021

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i would like to know more about electric lady thank you

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-297/chapter/21847?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100017

Plus trivia!

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1350861475833810944

oh jay fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Really dense chapter.

Did AFO deliberately plan for Shigaraki to fail and allow these various villains to get locked up in Tartarus so they could be ready to escape when an outside raid was happening?