Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Life In Hell probably has better political and social commentary than Pratchett’s work tbh

Your obsession with hating pratchett would be comprehensible if you had read his work. Can't you see how insufferable it is to have someone constantly dunking on a beloved (and tragically dead) author when they haven't even read his stuff? Like drat brother, save it for JK Rowling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“Constantly dunking on someone” = saying one time you never tried to get into their work because you hated the fanbase, and then making a joke a different time after another poster brought the discussion into this thread for some reason

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only thing I remember clearly about disenchantment is "live prude girls"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Considering it's been like 15 months since the last season ended, and the last 15 months have been....not fun, it's not so suprising that it's hard to remember what happened. That was a whole pandemic and insurrection ago.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok this season is good actually. I like when it’s not just all sitcom plots in Dreamland and they actually travel and do stuff

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany are SO GOOD in Wandavision.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Most of us have the common courtesy to not relentlessly profess that something is overrated trash if we haven't at least engaged with it.

I cannot, I literally cannot understand how this is a controversial stance.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I know, right? The performances are fantastic.

Simone Magus posted:

Most of us have the common courtesy to not relentlessly profess that something is overrated trash if we haven't at least engaged with it.

I cannot, I literally cannot understand how this is a controversial stance.

Like I said I said one thing in another thread that wasn’t even a diss on the author, and then I made one joke in this thread. How does that correspond to “relentlessly profess”

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The new season of Disenchantment is pretty good! I don't think anyone is going to consider it the new Futurama - a lot of the jokes are still very hit or miss and the characterizations just aren't its strong suit, but it's gotten way funnier at least and it looks great. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the final season though, since no one seems to be watching it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaskedDancerFOX/status/1349748173535911943

I guess Patty Hearst turned em down

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hakkesshu posted:

The new season of Disenchantment is pretty good! I don't think anyone is going to consider it the new Futurama - a lot of the jokes are still very hit or miss and the characterizations just aren't its strong suit, but it's gotten way funnier at least and it looks great. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the final season though, since no one seems to be watching it.

I've been watching it, but the problem is it leans into big arcs that just clearly terminate due to lack of writer interest, so nothing gives the impression there's a reason anything happens. It tries to straddle two options and doesn't excel at either as a result.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Josh Lyman posted:

Ted Lasso is as delightful as everyone says. It reached out to my cold black heart.
Only watched the first two eps but he's so nice that I want the team, the club, and the whole borough to be smashed into the Thames by a kraken for being mean to such a lovely, lovely chap. Well, apart from Keeley and the girl nutmegging in the park.

I just wish it wasn't an Apple TV thing because I have to faff about streaming from my laptop web browser to my TV because there isn't an Apple TV available for it, pah.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sentinel Red posted:

Only watched the first two eps but he's so nice that I want the team, the club, and the whole borough to be smashed into the Thames by a kraken for being mean to such a lovely, lovely chap. Well, apart from Keeley and the girl nutmegging in the park.

I feel you’re going to enjoy the remaining episodes.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not usually in for marvel stuff but every time I read or hear something about Wanda vision, more questions start bubbling up in my head. Fine, I'll watch the drat thing

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched 4 episodes of The Stand and it's trash garbage and I refuse to watch anymore.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched 4 episodes of The Stand and it's trash garbage and I refuse to watch anymore.

I dunno. First ep was fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
one of the guys from impractical jokers is on 13 monkeys right now and i think that the woman from schitts creek should be on impractical jokers but in this character

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I never cared for Vision in the movies because he just seemed lame but I am 100% turned around on him now after just these two episodes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Emily Hampshire is one of the greatest things about 12 Monkeys, if not the greatest.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, she's definitely my favourite of the pack. Also some stuff really changed quickly and I dig it. Cassie is the grimdark badass now.

edit: she's like "i'm not a time traveller, but is from the past, and has already gone back to the past then back to the future again"

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 16, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gonz posted:

Emily Hampshire is one of the greatest things about 12 Monkeys, if not the greatest.

One of the few contrarian hills I'm willing to die on in TVIV is that Jennifer Goines is nothing but a walking plot device that would end the show if she ever gave a straight answer to literally any question asked of her. She's River Tam minus Joss Whedon's fetishes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

One of the few contrarian hills I'm willing to die on in TVIV is that Jennifer Goines is nothing but a walking plot device that would end the show if she ever gave a straight answer to literally any question asked of her. She's River Tam minus Joss Whedon's fetishes.

Hey look it's that guy who hates joy

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I could have used 20% less Jennifer Goines throughout the series. Though I have the same complaint about Brad Pitt in the movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh hey it's spreading

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

Hey look it's that guy who hates joy

Joy's great, I'd just had my fill of that specific character type when I got around to watching the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YOU ARE THE THIEF OF JOY

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm going to stick with it if only because King wrote the final episode and had intimated that he wanted to do right by a character he felt he short-changed in the book.

The rest though? A really good cast trying hard to make some bad material work. I'm never going to understand the decision to structure it the way they have.

Also:

https://twitter.com/EricVespe/status/1350161689619144708?s=19

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First two episodes of Mr. Mayor were fun, but it really found its stride this week I thought. Plus the trademark Tina Fey 20 Jokes a Minute mean it’s a sitcom I’m actually laughing with, rather than just thinking something is amusing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed the Danson/Hunter and Moynihan storylines (except for ending an act with Danson saying “Sproing”, but whatever) but I was a little more mixed about the Vella Lovell storyline. Obviously it’s early days and they’re still figuring out the characters and what works, but having her character make such a shift personality-wise, especially in a way that doesn’t feel like it plays to Lovell’s strengths, felt very weird to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

First two episodes of Mr. Mayor were fun, but it really found its stride this week I thought. Plus the trademark Tina Fey 20 Jokes a Minute mean it’s a sitcom I’m actually laughing with, rather than just thinking something is amusing.

Psyched for that. I’ve been rewatching 30 rock over the past month and god drat does that frantic style+hiring great writers work out well. That style also makes for a more consistent season-to-season thing, which is where sitcoms usually poo poo out. When you’re dropping that much stuff so fast the misses just kind of fall under the radar and you remember the hits; so even when you’re out of ideas no one can tell.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

The rest though? A really good cast trying hard to make some bad material work. I'm never going to understand the decision to structure it the way they have.

Wasn't it originally written for ten episodes, and after the ten episodes were written, they were told to condense it into nine episodes? I thought I had also heard that after the series was shot, they then edited some more down after the coronavirus outbreak started.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I liked this third episode more but it still is a bit too easy to see Liz and Jack in these roles. Establishing that relationship between danson and scraggly helped a lot.

Is there a 12 Monkeys Thread? I just need somewhere to remark on things like "Ramse sounds like Bender half the time" or "lol Ramse own son owned him for being an evil pro-bad-future jerk."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wife and I started watching Bridgerton and this Duke of Hastings guy might be the most handsome dude I've ever seen. I'm starstruck every time he's on screen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You want to talk about handsome TV dudes there's Abubakar Salim (Father from Raised by Wolves.) He has the kind of face that you would see on classical statues.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

C-Euro posted:

Wife and I started watching Bridgerton and this Duke of Hastings guy might be the most handsome dude I've ever seen. I'm starstruck every time he's on screen.

a very horny tv show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So HBO Max added the Adult Swim show Hot Streets and something kind of weird is that for the first season they don't have the episode that was aired as part of a special event.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JollyBoyJohn posted:

a very horny tv show

We're two episodes in and it feels pretty non-horny for a Shondaland joint. But everyone keeps saying that it's horny so I'm sure it picks up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does a Vampire Cop have to still get permission to enter a house if it has a warrant?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Started watching Servant. Only a few episodes in, but I'm liking it a lot more than I expected to. Have no idea what is actually going on, but love the atmosphere. Also really appreciate that it's a prestige drama streaming show that keeps its episodes under the half hour mark rather than bloating them to hour-plus.

So HBO Max added the Adult Swim show Hot Streets and something kind of weird is that for the first season they don't have the episode that was aired as part of a special event.

I noticed that Check it Out and Tim and Eric Awesome Show on HBO Max each have only one of their two special episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Man, somehow Disenchanted went from being a medieval Futurama to being animated Game of Thrones real fast.

Edit: like seasons 1-5 GoT, you know the standard disclaimer