Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idk but we'll find out after he gets back from dinner in a few minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PCjr sidecar posted:

iirc data center stuff like lto advertises 30 years

hard to keep the drives and around and usable for that long tho, so most places have a library management where they rotate out media to newer formats

yeah LTO is basically the successor to DLT, which was well-designed by DEC in the early 1980s for both online and offline long term storage

cheaper tape like DC100 and QIC is way worse for reliability, the cassettes have rubber inside that can either melt or become brittle, and the magnetic material can actually flake off old media while in use (a problem with any tape system really) which makes it important to know what you’re doing when faced with data recovery from tape

some archivists are working together to create non-contact flux-reading systems for tape like we now have for floppies, so data can be read as non-destructively and with as much “raw” fidelity as possible and then reconstructed later via signal processing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

:lol:

also i'm unsure why everyone is still talking about tape usage in the modern age. it's literally just the latest LTO revision that's what everyone uses and everyone uses a fuckton of it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
glacier is tape yeah? thought i read that somewhere

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
everybody get some used data center hardware and run your own :yayclod:

like Itanium-based HP stuff that can run VMS

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Pile Of Garbage posted:

:lol:

also i'm unsure why everyone is still talking about tape usage in the modern age. it's literally just the latest LTO revision that's what everyone uses and everyone uses a fuckton of it

LTO Rollcall

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

glacier is tape yeah? thought i read that somewhere

amazon officially doesn’t say, last i heard. I’ve heard rumors of tape, hard drives in caddies for robots, backblaze style piles of disk, weird high density optical disks in jukeboxes (iirc this is what fb does for pictures for tertiary backup), qlc flash, etc.

tape doesn’t fit my mental model of how they build their data centers but its possible

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

i do this on everything except loving lexis because doing that just brings you right to the exact same point in the case or statute that you were looking at instead of opening up the actual link. you have to right click and click open in a new tab to get it to work right.

that’s cos it’s a blank link (an anchor tag) which is being intercepted by javascript. it’s not good practice to do it that way, so eat poo poo lexis

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

Connectix RAMdoubler worked exactly as advertised, it replaced the system pager with one that evicted pages from the working set by compressing them and sending them to another area of memory, and only writing them to disk if that was also filling up

you need a certain level of CPU performance for this to be reasonable because compressing pages and managing the compressed page area has to be fast, but once it is you can effectively get way better performance out of a virtual memory system

RAMdoubler also made a few other changes to how the operating system managed application and OS memory so as to increase sharing, reduce overhead, and allow memory partitions allocated to applications to be temporarily used for other data without affecting the applications they belonged to

all this means that I can install RAMdoubler on a Mac with a 68030, 68040, or PowerPC CPU and it really is like installing more RAM in it and only software that does hardcore low-level memory management (like older versions of Macintosh Common Lisp) even notices

thanks for this

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ssergE posted:

I remember borrowing a “learn to program in basic on the c64” vhs from the library. the instructor would go through a listing, then tell you to put a cassette recorder near the tv and hit record, then blast out the code listing in audio. you could then load the listing into your computer.

apparently in the uk at the time there were a few pirate radio stations broadcasting games you could record onto tape.

This loving owns though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jonny 290 posted:

idk but we'll find out after he gets back from dinner in a few minutes

yo

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

flat tetris in vr

in prodigy, there was this 3D maze game. you use the arrow keys to move forward one block at a time until you find the end. this all the game was, but for some reason it was amazing and a reason to be on the internet

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 16, 2021

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

eschaton posted:

everybody get some used data center hardware and run your own :yayclod:

like Itanium-based HP stuff that can run VMS

I use dropbox, OneDrive, and occasionally plug in an external HDD I bought like 8 yrs ago, op

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

if we made a bluray disc, with the same track and data density as bluray but the size of laserdisc, how much data would it hold

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
12 maybe 13 data?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

yeah that sounds about right

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the plural of data is datums

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

if we made a bluray disc, with the same track and data density as bluray but the size of laserdisc, how much data would it hold

heh somebody else had the same thought

quote:

Seeing as how a Blu-Ray disc has a diameter of 12cm, we can get a surface area of 113.0973 cm ². With the 1.5 cm hole in the middle it makes it roughly 112cm ². Laserdiscs are 20 cm in diameter and have s/a of 314.15 cm ². Laserdiscs are about 2.7x the size of a regular blu-ray, so with a standard blu ray holding about 25GB/Layer, a laserdisc could hold about 67.5GB on a single layer, and a dual layer could give you an even 135 GB.

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

this decade+ old romhack that culminates in a big, wide open finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNxm5R0rLiU&t=1046s

also teh meme speek of the lates 00s omg, it pwns teh evil mods so hard

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

blink polyfill posted:

this decade+ old romhack that culminates in a big, wide open finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNxm5R0rLiU&t=1046s

also teh meme speek of the lates 00s omg, it pwns teh evil mods so hard

Strong 2004 luelinks energy coming off this one

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eschaton posted:

doh, 150KB/s not 150Kb/s

what’s an order of magnitude between friends

The gently caress is a Kelvinbyte or Kelvinbit supposed to be?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ssergE posted:

I remember borrowing a “learn to program in basic on the c64” vhs from the library. the instructor would go through a listing, then tell you to put a cassette recorder near the tv and hit record, then blast out the code listing in audio. you could then load the listing into your computer.

apparently in the uk at the time there were a few pirate radio stations broadcasting games you could record onto tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeKWMXuSGCc&t=91s

lol This may work on your computer, give it a try!

quote:

This clip is from Tomorrow's World (6.55pm on 3rd December 1981). Presenters Kieran Prendeville and Su Ingle demonstrate how computer programs are save on cassette tape, with a plug for the new BBC Micro. They then transmit a program for the Apple II and ZX81 but the program does not work on the show. The following week Su showed the program running and people wrote in to say that it had worked

I also remember a show doing a thing where you got a very simple light sensor schematic to build & plug into your home micro from writing off to the show, and then you stuck it in the corner of your tv screen and they would blink a bit of the screen throughout the show and you would end up with some software downloaded.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 16, 2021

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

microsoft is the worlds biggest producer of secondhand embarrassment

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

Gentle Autist posted:

i knew exactly what it was before clicking the link lmao

in a similar vein (but actually good) is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTh4uVJduI&t=5s

and actually bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtuDS0ntaJY&t=6s

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

secondhand apple embarrassment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCqNH7V9R0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--13mBc788&t=67s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s the one where you hold a windows party?

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

windows 7 launch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

when i was a kid i saw this infomercial multiple times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqe5fu8A30

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oh my jod yep

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

blink polyfill posted:

i knew exactly what it was before clicking the link lmao

in a similar vein (but actually good) is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTh4uVJduI&t=5s

and actually bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtuDS0ntaJY&t=6s

lol. is that actually steve ballmer?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gentle Autist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522bVV-82qQ

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Lol, remember when it turned out that the british navy was still running "windows for submarines", which was basically just win XP, in like 2016 or something?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Truman Peyote posted:

Lol, remember when it turned out that the british navy was still running "windows for submarines", which was basically just win XP, in like 2016 or something?

the us navy still had windows xp on a fuckton of computers in 2013 when i got out.

i had a standalone win2k machine for one piece of software we had to use.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Truman Peyote posted:

Wouldn't they be fine with an airtight network? I'm sure there's been a lot of money sunk into this, so as long as they made sure there's no leaks it's fine.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 18, 2021

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oddly enough I’ve heard it works well with periscope

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

President Beep posted:

oddly enough I’ve heard it works well with periscope

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

airgap didn't work for the Iranian nuclear program, not sure why it would for British nuclear subs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
ya that relies on your sailors not doing poo poo like installing Diablo 2 on all the toughbooks so you can slay demons from anywhere on the ship!