Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

10 Beers posted:

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but that's kind of a weird argument to me. It's definitely not staying in sitcom land and the trailers showed at least one character from another MCU movie set in present day.

Uh

What does that have to do with this being boring and not funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

First impression of WandaVision was pretty weak for me too. Will stick it out to see where it goes, but oof.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It'd probably land better for me if Wanda and Vision had more than, like, four scenes together before this.

I'm still gonna watch because I'm curious how it'll play out, but I was definitely wishing they would just hurry up with the actual plot instead of doing bad sitcom parody.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I am hoping that this "parody" was chalk full of clues to what is really happening and we can go back later and appreciate it. Because if it was supposed to be entertaining on its own...... Yowza.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I feel like the show would be more interesting if the pastiche was more biting. Yeah, it's supposed to be an idealized version of a world where Wanda and Vision can be together, but keeping the less savory elements of the time these old sitcoms take place in could help to sell that there's something wrong with it. Both of the episodes released so far have centered around Wanda and Vision having to hide their otherness to fit in (Vision even needs to present as a white guy to be able to go to work), but the neighborhood is pretty ethnically diverse for 1950's/60's TV suburbia. Even Vision's Boss' communist paranoia is treated as a joke with the benefit of hindsight, but clashes with the format of the show being firmly rooted within the era where it wouldn't seem out of place.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alhazred posted:

She made one tasteless joke four years ago about his mother because she didn't know she was dead. That's pretty much all she has said publicly about him. Which makes The posts about her In this thread kinda weird.

If a youtubefilm essayist can get a shot in on him, they always do. Every Frame a Painting (which was loving great) bringing him up while talking about Martin Scorsese's use of silence is the weirdest example. The one from Ellis I remember was saying that the 'should i have let them drown' scene was setting up whether he was going to help people, but since he was already helping people the scene was bad. It's fairly explicitly not the point of the scene.

If there's a point to be made, it's that, while there are those who base their whole online persona on Snyder being evil, there's plenty of others who know there's a few clicks in just taking a brief shot at him, no matter how poorly it actually fits their point. Ellis is just much more high profile and generally really good so it's more notable when she does it. Same on Every Frame a Painting.

Jimbot posted:

I like her videos even if I don't agree with her points in them but that one was a supremely low effort junk video by her standards. It just came down to "this this is bad" and even the point she was making with Fury Road was muddy and unclear. She didn't elaborate or explain anything. If it were a paper it'd come back with "Show your work" in big, red letters.

I disagree. Her point about Fury Road was a good one. It was essentially about how the entire relationship between Max and Nux, which has gently caress all dialogue, is nonetheless extremely clear because of the exchange of boots over the course of the film. It's a good observation about a small part of Fury Road (there's a lot to write about Fury Road) she just used a poor counter example. It doesn't mirror what Miller was doing, it isn't the same technique, successful or unsuccessful, but it'sis a brief shot at Snyder, simply because taking a shot at Snyder gets you a few clicks.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I don't see why critics criticizing a well known filmmaker is such a black mark. It's what they do.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I don't see why critics criticizing a well known filmmaker is such a black mark. It's what they do.

I didn't say it was a black mark and it isn't criticising him that's the issue. Read what I wrote again and find out what it is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think you get clicks by making brief negative references to Snyder in an hour long video.

Like are there people sharing the video saying 'dude check out this YouTuber she said a negative sentence about Snyder!'?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I haven’t seen it yet but I had assumed Wandavision would start out with the cheesy sitcom setup but would basically immediately start glitching out and there would be an early reveal. Disappointing that this sounds like not the case.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

stev posted:

I don't think you get clicks by making brief negative references to Snyder in an hour long video.

Like are there people sharing the video saying 'dude check out this YouTuber she said a negative sentence about Snyder!'?

You do get clicks by showing that you're part of the vague consensus that Snyder is bad, no matter how poorly you have to watch his films to show it. The other alternative is that people who are otherwise very good at talking about films suddenly lose the ability to do so, pick bad examples to make bad points about Snyder and they do it for no reason at all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

I disagree. Her point about Fury Road was a good one. It was essentially about how the entire relationship between Max and Nux, which has gently caress all dialogue, is nonetheless extremely clear because of the exchange of boots over the course of the film. It's a good observation about a small part of Fury Road (there's a lot to write about Fury Road) she just used a poor counter example. It doesn't mirror what Miller was doing, it isn't the same technique, successful or unsuccessful, but it'sis a brief shot at Snyder, simply because taking a shot at Snyder gets you a few clicks.

Fair enough. I might have been conflating a video she did with someone else who was pretty unclear about their point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Fair enough. I might have been conflating a video she did with someone else who was pretty unclear about their point.

I only remember it because it was a brief but very good and concise observation about Fury Road, a film I love, coupled with an absolute dogshit observation about Man of Steel. The contrast was striking. I could owe it to it just being a worse observation because she didn't like the film, but Ellis' whole thing is being able to talk very well about films she didn't like. Her breakdowns of Bright and the Hobbit films are great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Guy A. Person posted:

I haven’t seen it yet but I had assumed Wandavision would start out with the cheesy sitcom setup but would basically immediately start glitching out and there would be an early reveal. Disappointing that this sounds like not the case.

Two episodes in and I don't think there's even anything that could be considered a real spoiler. I was initially excited that the 6 episode limit would make it so they would have less filler than your standard 8 episode show, but so far its been basically all filler.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Shageletic posted:

It's because they are generally bad at criticism. Having an inconsistent framework is the black mark, not the subject

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Robot Style posted:

I feel like the show would be more interesting if the pastiche was more biting. Yeah, it's supposed to be an idealized version of a world where Wanda and Vision can be together, but keeping the less savory elements of the time these old sitcoms take place in could help to sell that there's something wrong with it. Both of the episodes released so far have centered around Wanda and Vision having to hide their otherness to fit in (Vision even needs to present as a white guy to be able to go to work), but the neighborhood is pretty ethnically diverse for 1950's/60's TV suburbia. Even Vision's Boss' communist paranoia is treated as a joke with the benefit of hindsight, but clashes with the format of the show being firmly rooted within the era where it wouldn't seem out of place.

It's not supposed to be biting or edgy. This is Wanda's Happy Place. When Wanda was a kid she was probably stuck watching crappy American sitcom reruns with her brother in much happier times. Figure after Endgame with Thanos gone and Vision still gone, Wanda cracked up and made this place as her Happy Place. And she's apparently pulled a bunch of other people with her into her own personal Pleasantville.

That episode of The Twilight Zone with the creepy-rear end kid who sent people "to the cornfield" if they displeased him? That's kind of who Wanda is here - that kid. Under the goofy sitcom schtick, something kind of horrific is happening. The tension is here is will Wanda come back to herself or get snapped out of this before she does something truly awful to keep living her fantasy life?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
FYI there is an MCU TV thread that is probably the best place to talk about WandaVison.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Two episodes in and I don't think there's even anything that could be considered a real spoiler. I was initially excited that the 6 episode limit would make it so they would have less filler than your standard 8 episode show, but so far its been basically all filler.

Oof, that's grim. Gotta see when my D+ month is up (got it for some holiday movies since it was cheaper than renting them individually) but will probably not re-up unless the next episode or 2 are especially great.

Blood Boils posted:

It's because they are generally bad at criticism. Having an inconsistent framework is the black mark, not the subject

Yeah, not sure I necessarily agree with the "to get clicks" part, I think it's just lazy shorthand, the same as when people reference Michael Bay or the prequels or whatever else everyone agrees is a placeholder for "dumb, bad movies that we all rightfully don't like" in these kinds of situations. Like a late night host level, "this stuff's so dumb right :smug:" level joke in an otherwise thoughtful review.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

FWIW, WandaVision is supposedly 9 episodes long.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Piell posted:

FYI there is an MCU TV thread that is probably the best place to talk about WandaVison.

Ok cool, thanks for this link. I will express my disappointment elsewhere

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched the first episode and boy they sure did make a boring thing.

That's about it. It's a 5 minute gag stretched out for 24 minutes. Wanda and Vision are in a 1950s I Love Lucy style sitcom!

Only they didn't include any actual humor in it, and the only bit of real character stuff comes in at the 20 minute mark

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Burkion posted:

That's about it. It's a 5 minute gag stretched out for 24 minutes. Wanda and Vision are in a 1950s I Love Lucy style sitcom!

Only they didn't include any actual humor in it, and the only bit of real character stuff comes in at the 20 minute mark

Actually they're pretty much in a Dick Van Dyke style sitcom and they nailed it really well. Plus, I thought they did pretty well with the humor. Olsen and Bettany are great when they're not having to shoulder a bunch of self-important superhero BS.

BTW for a really weird pop culture mashup, go watch Elizabeth Olsen's 2013 In Secret. Wanda Maximoff is unhappily married to Draco Malfoy, so she has an affair with Poe Dameron.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

What it needs to be is more like Beef House.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Burkion posted:

Yeah, so far I am unimpressed with the 50s/60s era sitcom gimmick. If it proves to have a meaningful payoff, then cool, but the initial takeaway from me was a resounding meh.

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 16, 2021

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Creating parody doesn't really work when you're not that interested in why the subject of your parody "works".

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I’d put the humor somewhere between Two and a Half Men and King of Queens. In other words: bad

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What it needs to be is more like Beef House.

I love that the premise of Beef House was them thinking "what if someone made a sitcom that had jokes in it?"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I never liked WandaVision because they seemed to have a big enough age gap that it was creepy. I'd assumed Quicksilver and Wanda were teenagers in Age of Ultron whereas Vision had been some billionaire's AI butler for seven years. Aside from that, they had less then three scenes together before they tried to sell us on suddenly having a romance after a timeskip.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vision is a newborn life form with the combined knowledge of mankind, the internet, and a homicidal gestalt AI-eldrich fundamental cosmic force billions of years of.

Wanda was, likely, an 18 year old brainwashed homeschooled radical.

So both have a lot to learn about life! *theme music*

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Someone better let FoldableHuman know.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lol

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Oh boy yet another victim of Suicide Squad's incoherent pacing and storytelling who didn't notice the death of a major character at the end :agesilaus:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

galenanorth posted:

I never liked WandaVision because they seemed to have a big enough age gap that it was creepy. I'd assumed Quicksilver and Wanda were teenagers in Age of Ultron whereas Vision had been some billionaire's AI butler for seven years. Aside from that, they had less then three scenes together before they tried to sell us on suddenly having a romance after a timeskip.

It could have been worse. Vision could have sparkled in sunlight.

Edited to Add: Seriously though, one thing that greatly reduces the potential "squick level" of this is the fact that Elizabeth Olsen plays Wanda as an all-the-way-grown-up woman instead of as a little girl playing house. Whatever the characters' ages are supposed to be (Wanda 20? Vision 9?) Wanda looks like a woman in her late 20s/early 30s (Elizabeth Olsen turns 32 in February). So, yeah, a spoonful of clear physical/mental maturity does help the "Wait, how old are these people again?" go down.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 17, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I kind of liked WandaVision? It just came off as a quirky Dick Van Dyke show and Bewitched style sitcom that just happened to star two Marvel characters. And I thought a few things were kind of funny, mainly due to how Bettany carried it.

I actually wish they stayed in Pleasantville instead of it eventually turning into normal MCU stuff. The reason I like it now is because its actually different.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darko posted:

I kind of liked WandaVision? It just came off as a quirky Dick Van Dyke show and Bewitched style sitcom that just happened to star two Marvel characters. And I thought a few things were kind of funny, mainly due to how Bettany carried it.

I actually wish they stayed in Pleasantville instead of it eventually turning into normal MCU stuff. The reason I like it now is because its actually different.

They're not actually coming into "normal MCU stuff" yet. As I understand it, the idea is that every episode will occur in a different sitcom. The last two were The Dick Van Dyke Show and Bewitched(which actually transitioned into color episodes during its run. Next up is supposed to be The Brady Bunch.

Granted that there will probably be more moments of "Wait, something is wrong here" but I think that the sitcom thing is supposed to go through most if not all of the nine episode season.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 17, 2021

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Honestly all I'm getting from Wandavision is that I wish Paul Bettany got a sitcom gig, he's a good comedic guy. Other than that it's barely on the level of season one Moral Orel as sitcom pastiches go.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Everyone posted:

Granted that there will probably be more moments of "Wait, something is wrong here" but I think that the sitcom thing is supposed to go through most if not all of the nine episode season.

I believe I read that the first 6 episodes are half hour sitcom pastiches, and the last three episodes are hour long MCU movie sections.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I didn't enjoy the sitcom bits in Wandavision very much. Felt like an uninteresting pastiche of stuff I don't particularly like in the first place. The horror/mystery stuff seems like it might eventually get interesting, though.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Yeah, I’m thinking there is going to be some crazy reveal and then when you rewatch previous episodes they had all kinds of clues. I’ll keep watching it even if it’s actual dumb sitcom parodies. They are going somewhere with this with the multiverse on the horizon and this maybe setting it up.

This discussion is also such a grey area. Technically this is TV/IV stuff but it directly ties into the MCU films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Matt Damon cast in unknown role for Thor: Blood and Thunder.

Christian Bale is the villain, so not sure who this could be.

Also, they confirmed that Chris Pratt will be Thor's "partner" and that the next few movies are all going to feature small partnerings (like Spiderman and Doctor Strange in Spiderman 4).

https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-matt-damon-marvel-cast-character