Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I somehow really enjoyed Emilia and Subaru arguing like an old married couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kazy posted:

Did anyone else expect Subaru to suddenly eat it at the end there? :v:

They have really set this up as the last loop in the sanctuary so I'd be surprised if he does die again here.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I highly doubt they'll wipe this level of character progression/first kiss

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
From Otto excellence and Ram being Ram to Emilia & Subaru's messy argument laying their feelings bare, that was a :krad: ep!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

Probably not, but it also feels like a permanent death card for a character (no idea who)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yawgmoft posted:

I feel like you're tempting fate pretty hard with statements like that...

*Subaru attempts to kiss her again next arc, she rejects him*

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I feel like it's at least noteworthy to point out that Subaru specifically acknowledges an element of consent in his "hero kisses the girl" moment

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I somehow really enjoyed Emilia and Subaru arguing like an old married couple.

It seriously felt like something the author wrote straight out of experience. :allears:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I feel like it's at least noteworthy to point out that Subaru specifically acknowledges an element of consent in his "hero kisses the girl" moment

It's a step forward from what we usually see in isekai stories, but giving the girl permission to turn away if she's not interested is not exactly best practices for establishing enthusiastic consent. That said, I do appreciate that the romance on this show has been consistently a few paces above your typical trashy anime with things like depicting Emilia as an actual thinking being with her own thoughts and feelings who exists independently of the protagonist. We need to see more heroes get knocked down a couple pegs for idealizing their crushes. "The version of me that lives in your head must be amazing"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

XboxPants posted:

We need to see more heroes get knocked down a couple pegs for idealizing their crushes. "The version of me that lives in your head must be amazing"

It's that Rick & Morty bit with Beth and Jerry and the marriage counseling machine.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

AlternateNu posted:

It's that Rick & Morty bit with Beth and Jerry and the marriage counseling machine.

If this means that Barusu is Jerry I am fully onboard. (Ram and Rem are Rick and Morty, respectively??)

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Yeah, I think that would be a bad move for this story arc, but one of the things I liked a lot in the beginning of the story was how RBD fucks with his perception of relationships. Like how towards the end of the mansion arc, from his perspective Ram and Rem are the people who've taught him everything from how to read this world's language to how to skin a potato, but to them he's a suspicious stranger that Emilia dragged in one day who acts way too familiar with him.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

XboxPants posted:

If this means that Barusu is Jerry I am fully onboard. (Ram and Rem are Rick and Morty, respectively??)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh poo poo it's meme time

(Shameless link to the WN version of 'Reason to Believe')

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also this episode kicked so much rear end.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Tbh for me getting through their argument was kinda hard. It was super awkward. Like, watching-your-parents-tease-each-other-and-then-straight-out-starting-to-shout-at-each-other awkward.
First Emilia is like "You're not even angry, I mean so little to you," so Subaru starts criticising her and she genuinely gets upset and says "I knew it, I'm so horrible." I thought Subaru would point it out to her and they would somehow address the issue of her self-loathing but instead he goes on and on how much he loves her despite her flaws, making her more and more irritated. She asks him why did he leave, he dodges the question and keeps ranting. And then he... kisses her to show her that she can trust him... and it works apparently...?

I dunno, I felt very uncomfortable and wanted them to stop

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I think the point was acknowledging that he does see her faults and loves her anyway, not just putting her on a pedestal like she feared he was ever since the day they went to the capitol and she said 'the version of me in your head must be really great' or something to that effect.

Subaru is constantly buffing everyone around him, I don't think you can really read him as negging her in the scene unless you completely forget who he is as a character.

E: this is a royal you, I'm not attacking you or saying you don't understand the characters

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 20, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Yawgmoft posted:

E: this is a royal you, I'm not attacking you or saying you don't understand the characters

It's cool :)

I don't think Subaru's negging her either and I see how this conversation shows his development. It's more like, these two characters go through immense stress right now and both of them are so focused on themselves that they just can't communicate at all and it's IMMENSELY uncomfortable to watch. And this scene doesn't really work me as a lead-in to big romantic moment

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Woah, so is Emelia not just someone who looks like the witch, but the actual witch, with her memories suppressed by Puck until now?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Woah, so is Emelia not just someone who looks like the witch, but the actual witch, with her memories suppressed by Puck until now?
To clarify: (future episode spoilers) She is not. She and the witch Satella have different pasts and hail from different eras, and we shall see Emilia's true past next episode. Echidna projects her hate of the Witch onto Emila, among other reasons.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 20, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What was Garfield talking about at the end of the episode that made Subaru so embarrassed?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Sindai posted:

What was Garfield talking about at the end of the episode that made Subaru so embarrassed?

Pretty sure he saw them K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
Based on this episode it sounds like Emelia is probably the daughter of the witch of envy, unless there happens to be another witch that looks exactly like Emelia. She then insisted she was simply named Emelia from the forest and had no other name. Emelia then called herself the Frozen Witch -- does this mean she is a Witch like the other ones (Echidna, Minerva, etc)? I can't recall if she was called this before, or if this has any real significance.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Loving the look of absolute disgust from Echidna.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

McGrady posted:

Based on this episode it sounds like Emelia is probably the daughter of the witch of envy, unless there happens to be another witch that looks exactly like Emelia. She then insisted she was simply named Emelia from the forest and had no other name. Emelia then called herself the Frozen Witch -- does this mean she is a Witch like the other ones (Echidna, Minerva, etc)? I can't recall if she was called this before, or if this has any real significance.

But I thought Satella and Emilia were both half-elves. Is Emilia’s father also a half-elf, or has Emilia secretly been a quarter-elf all along?

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

But I thought Satella and Emilia were both half-elves. Is Emilia’s father also a half-elf, or has Emilia secretly been a quarter-elf all along?

I mean, Emilia could be a clone. I think Echidna is trying to revive herself by putting her soul into a clone, it could be something similar with Satella. Or she isn't literally the daughter of the witch but like a great-great-great grand daughter and just looks like her.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

If she was, wouldn't she have been able to get out of the barrier?

Grouchio posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The burden of knowledge.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

If she was, wouldn't she have been able to get out of the barrier?

Good point.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

McGrady posted:

Emilia calling herself that has to do with the stuff from the movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Grouchio: "i can Return by Pos-"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Can someone explain the meaning of the episode title? e.g., wtf is a quaint stone? Or is it a quote from somewhere?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Can someone explain the meaning of the episode title? e.g., wtf is a quaint stone? Or is it a quote from somewhere?

It's a quote from the episode itself.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A quoin stone is a stone in the external angle of a wall or building, usually much larger than the stones or bricks that make up the body of the wall.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lurking Haro posted:

It's a quote from the episode itself.

:psyduck: I think I need to rewatch it. I've had a migraine all afternoon, and I guess it's hosed with my attention more than I realized.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Sindai posted:

korrandark posted:

Pretty sure he saw them K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

At first I thought it was what korrandark said but I think it was referring to what Emilia found right at the end all those cute messages of support and drawings of Puck that Subaru left on the walls Also I guess that solves the mystery of why Subaru left at night.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

As Garfiel is slipping into unconsciousness he says you can't lift a quaint stone by yourself, presumably referencing a saying in their world about a large or unwieldy rock that requires cooperation to move.

The whole episode and the second half of this season have been about learning to rely on your friends and to not try to do everything yourself. Subaru, Emelia, and now Garfiel have all learned that in the last few episodes.

Edit: I do like how the characters native to the world just use idioms and sayings that have no meaning to Subaru and the audience, and they usually just have faith in their audience to try to understand them like Subaru would have to. Like darmok and jalad at tanagra.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 20, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Emilia borrowing Subaru's pose at the end was really awesome. Emilia is best girl now, finally.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Loving the look of absolute disgust from Echidna.

I want her to look at me like that. :shobon:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Emilia borrowing Subaru's pose at the end was really awesome. Emilia is best girl now, finally.

The VA was pulling in a bit of her Megumin character for that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah everything about that scene was pretty gold.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The VA was pulling in a bit of her Megumin character for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

When I first advertised this season years ago and kept saying Subaru and Emilia would get way better, y'all didn't believe me.
Now do you understand why Emilia is best girl?

Lurking Haro posted:

The burden of knowledge.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Grouchio: "i can Return by Pos-"
Yep. Such is a life of a Re-Zero webnovel nerd.

Grouchio posted:

I TOLD Y'ALL THIS IS GOOD poo poo :slick:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 21, 2021