Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Julio Cruz posted:

a bullpen built around Hand/May/Lugo/Familia/Blevins could be pretty solid even if Diaz and Betances are trash again

Only 1/3rd a season, but Diaz was excellent last year. 1.75 ERA and a 2.18 FIP. Only gave up two dingers in 25 ip, too, and those are like half of why he stunk in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

Signing Kluber in 2021 screams of "we tried" or "look a big name" cause I don't think he has anything left in the tank

e: I mean as anything other than a flier. Depending on him to be an important piece and fill a big hole is laughable

It's insane how shallow their pitching is right now and would still be even if they sign Kluber both in the rotation and bullpen. I doubt anyone will pick them to finish ahead of the Rays with this roster.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Rays haven't exactly had a stellar offseason

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Is there a reason they haven't re-signed Tanaka other than not wanting to pay him what he's worth? I know there's talk of him returning to Japan but I can't imagine just paying him is a bad idea.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Is there a reason they haven't re-signed Tanaka other than not wanting to pay him what he's worth? I know there's talk of him returning to Japan but I can't imagine just paying him is a bad idea.

I haven't seen anything about him coming back at all. I don't think they are even engaging with him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
2020 was the first time DJLM has ever been in the top 10 hitters by bWAR so calling him a "top-10 player" is a loving stretch

if I'm trying to value his next 6 years I'm putting way more emphasis on the 3800 PA of 92 OPS+ than the 800 of 145 OPS+

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It seems like his glove took kind of a hit the last few years also; I don't think you're getting a GG caliber infielder for that contract either.

That said it is a major bargain if you get 2 or 3 years of 900 OPS and good infield defense.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao that DJLM held out for so long because he felt the Yankees were lowballing him, and then took that garbage deal.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It's probably more accurate to say he's top 15 but either way the point I was making was that he came to the Yankees, played at an MVP level for 2 years and pretty much only got like 3MM a year raise. Not great.
Justin Turner is a very good comp.

JT had a 92 OPS+ in 926 career PA before arriving in LA. As a Dodger he posted a 135 OPS+ in 1383 PA. Then as a free agent entering his age 32 season, he re-signed with LA for 4 years $64M.

DJLM had a 92 OPS+ in 3799 career PA before arriving in the Bronx. As a Yankee, he posted a 145 OPS+ in 871 PA. Then as a free agent entering his age 32 season, he re-signed with NY for 6 years $90M.

I'd say DJLM made out pretty well here.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I get so mad every time someone brings up Turner's contract with the Dodgers. I wanted the Cardinals to go after him so badly and they just ignored that he was an FA entirely.

Wong, Dejong, and Turner would have been an incredible infield, and then adding in Goldy in 2019... ugh..

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sydin posted:

lmao that DJLM held out for so long because he felt the Yankees were lowballing him, and then took that garbage deal.

Doesn't look like anyone was offering him more though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In what world is that deal garbage?? He got 50% more than Justin Turner did despite a much shorter trackrecord of elite production at the time of signing.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Kluber is supposedly only looking for a one year prove myself deal and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want the Angels to kick the tires on him even though every other recent one year bargain deal has blown up in their faces in spectacular fashion (Cahill, Harvey, Teheran)

I mean poo poo they gave Matt Harvey almost twice as much as Kluber is even looking for, how bad can it really be

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 15, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

In what world is that deal garbage?? He got 50% more than Justin Turner did despite a much shorter trackrecord of elite production at the time of signing.

In any other year he's looking at way more than $15MM AAV, come on. Even factoring in that he's a late bloomer he's been an unstoppable bat the last couple seasons, wind the clock back to when the sport wasn't a broken mess and multiple teams are tripping over themselves to sign him to 20, 25, or even 30 million AAV deals.

gently caress the owners.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The advantage to a Kluber one year deal is that he'll likely either be broken or at least okay. It doesn't seem like he would be poo poo and keep stringing people along with 'well once he gets it together..."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anybody who's even pretending to compete and doesn't have a star studded rotation should be in on Kluber because he's almost certainly a one year commitment at most with ace upside and if he's washed then oh no the horror.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Angels signed Kurt Suzuki for 1.5m. Had a nice run with the Nats if you don't count being groped by Trump. Didn't really look like he had anything left and he's gotten the poo poo knocked out of him the last couple years as well.

Wilmer Difo going to the Pirates. He's a lot of fun. Maybe don't look at his stats tho.

Enny Romero gets a minor league contract with the Dodgers. Nice to see him get a deal, I was wondering what happened to him. He used to throw up near 100 but he really fell apart. No idea what he's got now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

In any other year he's looking at way more than $15MM AAV, come on. Even factoring in that he's a late bloomer he's been an unstoppable bat the last couple seasons, wind the clock back to when the sport wasn't a broken mess and multiple teams are tripping over themselves to sign him to 20, 25, or even 30 million AAV deals.

Again, I don't see how. Look at the Justin Turner comp. Turner had a much longer trackrecord of similarly excellent production, and they were the same age at the time of signing. Both are good defensive infielders. Both were mediocre before their late breakout, but DJLM's mediocrity consisted of over 3000 PA. And DJLM got 50% more years and 40% more dollars than JT did.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 15, 2021

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Atlanta avoids arbitration with Max Fried at $3.5m and AJ Minter at $1.3m, those sound like bargains.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Signing Kluber in 2021 screams of "we tried" or "look a big name" cause I don't think he has anything left in the tank

e: I mean as anything other than a flier. Depending on him to be an important piece and fill a big hole is laughable

Disagree. He was an ace as recently as 2018 and then had a broken arm (not likely to affect him going forward) and a shoulder strain. If his shoulder is healed I don't see why he can't be a frontline starter for a few more years.

I totally get why Kluber wants a one-year showcase deal, and therefore he'll probably want to pitch for a contender. But drat it would own if the Giants swooped in and offered him like 3/40.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

literally 7 guys made $30M in 2019 and one of them was Miguel Cabrera and one was David Price

even in a good year DJLM would never have sniffed anything near 30M

e: Charlie Blackmon signed a 6-year $108 million deal in 2018 with a career 115 OPS+ in 3177 PA at age 31

DJLM currently has a career 102 OPS+ in 4670 PA and he's 32

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 15, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

literally 7 guys made $30M in 2019 and one of them was Miguel Cabrera and one was David Price

even in a good year DJLM would never have sniffed anything near 30M

e: Charlie Blackmon signed a 6-year $108 million deal in 2018 with a career 115 OPS+ in 3177 PA at age 31

DJLM currently has a career 102 OPS+ in 4670 PA and he's 32

It's really silly imo to use his career numbers. The last 2 years are what is relevant. There is no reason for anyone to assume that that isn't the player he is going to be for the rest of his prime years.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It's really silly imo to use his career numbers. The last 2 years are what is relevant. There is no reason for anyone to assume that that isn't the player he is going to be for the rest of his prime years.

bawfuls posted:

Justin Turner is a very good comp.

JT had a 92 OPS+ in 926 career PA before arriving in LA. As a Dodger he posted a 135 OPS+ in 1383 PA. Then as a free agent entering his age 32 season, he re-signed with LA for 4 years $64M.

DJLM had a 92 OPS+ in 3799 career PA before arriving in the Bronx. As a Yankee, he posted a 145 OPS+ in 871 PA. Then as a free agent entering his age 32 season, he re-signed with NY for 6 years $90M.

I'd say DJLM made out pretty well here.

DJLM's Yankee production is 10 OPS+ points higher than JT's Dodger production, HOWEVER it also is over 500 fewer PA and his previous mediocrity was 4 times as long as JT's. But DJLM got 50% more years and 40% more money than JT.

I can't see how you can argue DJLM got a trash deal compared to precedent.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 15, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Again, I don't see how. Look at the Justin Turner comp. Turner had a much longer trackrecord of similarly excellent production, and they were the same age at the time of signing. Both are good defensive infielders. Both were mediocre before their late breakout, but DJLM's mediocrity consisted of over 3000 PA. And DJLM got 50% more years and 40% more dollars than JT did.

I'm factoring in the Yankee tax where players are perceived as much more valuable for putting up good numbers as a Yankee vs doing it for any other team. Like how Gary Sanchez was immediately considered god's gift to catching after 229 PA's that didn't even get him RotY.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Maybe Justin Turner would have gotten a bigger contract if he were one of the 10 best players in baseball!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1350140396588978178

Moronta was tabbed as the closer of the future but missed last season with shoulder surgery. It rules that he's back.

Also this leaves Donovan Solano as the Giants only arb-eligible player without a contract. He probably wants a big raise after winning the Silver Slugger, and I don't blame him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Another few points of comparison for the "terrible" DJLM contract

https://twitter.com/SlangsOnSports/status/1350103573930110976

A lot of players are getting hosed by the current state of baseball's labor situation, but DJLM is pretty far down the list.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 15, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Another few points of comparison for the "terrible" DJLM contract

https://twitter.com/SlangsOnSports/status/1350103573930110976

A lot of players are getting hosed by the current state of baseball's labor situation, but DJLM is pretty far down the list.

FWIW I don't think this is really going to be a 6 year deal when the details come out. There are probably 1 or 2 fake option years at the end.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Maybe Justin Turner would have gotten a bigger contract if he were one of the 10 best players in baseball!

lol

Can't wait for DJLM to go from being "top 10 bWAR" to "merely above average hitter" with the quickness and for that deal to look pretty bad. Will have to come back to the off sason thread to dig up some gems.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs avoid arb with Javy, Bryant, Contreras, and Davies, which is shocking to me. I thought for sure they were going to try to hit Javy and Bryant with the max 20% salary reduction.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Cubs avoid arb with Javy, Bryant, Contreras, and Davies, which is shocking to me. I thought for sure they were going to try to hit Javy and Bryant with the max 20% salary reduction.

Bryant and Contreras' salaries will be someone else's problem before too long, and they're going to try to extend Javy to be the "see! 2016 is alive and well!" guy

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1350228140832903169?s=20

Probably good news for Phillies fans for once, but I really hate this transparent attempt to put pressure on Realmuto to sign by leaking your own offer. Just feels kinda gross.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Sydin posted:

Ehhh. He got a $90 million dollar deal at age 32. He got to stay on a competitive team in a city he already likes. Thats still gotta be in the top 25 or so contracts at that age for a position player. Not to mention what kind of covid fuckery is going to happen to the rest of the FA class this year. I'm sure he feels great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Strasburgs UCL posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1350228140832903169?s=20

Probably good news for Phillies fans for once, but I really hate this transparent attempt to put pressure on Realmuto to sign by leaking your own offer. Just feels kinda gross.
OTOH, Bob tends to be wrong about most of these 'scoops' so I would take it with a grain of salt

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

OTOH, Bob tends to be wrong about most of these 'scoops' so I would take it with a grain of salt

He didn't do the actual reporting, so I think we are in the clear.

Edit: actually it looks like while the recent offer was originally reported by Jayson Stark first, the supposed earlier $100 million offer is Nightengale's own unique contribution. In which case yeah, that's super dubious.

also

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1350237590763544576?s=20

gently caress the Yankees.

Strasburgs UCL fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 16, 2021

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1350243160346165249

Argh. Like I said, I understand why Kluber prefers a one-year deal. Still sucks we couldn't offer more years and get him.

In short,

Strasburgs UCL posted:

gently caress the Yankees.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 16, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Cubs are waiting for Kluber's arm to get a little worse so he can lose 3-5 more mph off his fastball, then sign him

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

The Cubs are waiting for Kluber's arm to get a little worse so he can lose 3-5 more mph off his fastball, then sign him

Yeah, he can't be showing up Hendricks by throwing 89.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1350243160346165249

Argh. Like I said, I understand why Kluber prefers a one-year deal. Still sucks we couldn't offer more years and get him.

In short,
He didn't have enough funk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Please give credit to the original reporter

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1350244055125524480?s=21