Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Tree of Amalion posted:

I'm looking for a post-apocalyptic/somewhat utopian society novel, I think it may be from the 70s or 80s. The plot is basically that the remaining people live in walled cities all named after women (like Elizabethville). They have a thriving society in which the women basically run everything while the men leave their homes at a young age to become warriors. At a certain age, they have a choice to give up their warrior life and move back into the city or stay a warrior.

At one point, the main character goes out on a scientific expedition in which she is caught by a group of men who live in their own small, inbred society where women treated very poorly. She is rescued in the end, but not before she is impregnated by her warrior lover who snuck off to meet her on the expedition. In the end you learn that the women have basically been using selective breeding for centuries to slowly breed the desire for war out of men and make a completely non-violent society.

This sounds like The Pelbar Cycle. Maybe? The city names don't sound familiar but the theme does.

I remember picking up the whole series in the '90s and enjoyed them quite a bit at the time.

ihop fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's what I believe to be a Neil Gaiman short story that was turned into a comic (or might have just been a comic the whole time) about a boy who is hated by his family and is the runt of the litter under his two bully twin brothers. He befriends a ghost boy in the woods and wants to become a ghost with him and the boy says he can't do it but "THEY can" while motioning towards an abandoned delapidated house. It ends with the boy heading towards the house

I cannot for the life of me put together words to find this on google. I'm pretty sure I found it because Gaiman liked a twitter post thanking him for it around Halloween of this year

Edit: it's called October in the Chair someone on Twitter found it for me

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 10, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Okay here is a tricky one I cannot find with google.

Grabbed it from the library over a decade ago, really trash spy fiction thriller set in late 1920's/early 1930's Hong Kong/Border with China. Has a cover and plot based around an armored train and opium?

British Spy, his twit partner and a bunch of greasy Royal Navy sailors do a PT riverboat tour, hang out with pirates and fight war lords over Bolshevek supplied opium?

Oh boy no progress on this one?

Do I have to add this? there is a super gross fetish-esqe bit where the Chinese War Lord smugly shows off asking one of his concubines to pee in front of everyone for entertainment.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Alternate history/scifi young-adult series where genetic engineering was invented in the 19th century; I think it focused on an alternate World War I which was fought with biotech and artificial war-beasts, referred to as "Darwinist" technology. I remember an illustration of a jellyfish-like balloon creature. There might also have been something about countries that rejected biotechnology for ideological reasons, and they had steampunk-esque weaponry instead. This is a fairly recent series, I think, published early 2000s or so.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Looking for the name of this sci-fi book about an event where everyone on earth hears a voice at the same time. Presumably it was the voice of god and the book deals with the aftermath of that. It was a newish book I'm pretty sure from the 2000s or maybe even 2010s so it wasn't like classic sci fi or anything.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Was it a bunch of different perspectives, and did it have people who heard vs people who didn't?

I think I might have read it. Sounds familiar.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

That I don't know because I only read the synopsis of the book. Wrote the name down so I could buy it later but then I lost my old phone where I had it written down.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool. There's a few in my calibre that it could be. I'll dig around and see if I can find anything.

First up, was The Turning by Davis Bunn.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Erry body hearing one voice synopsis:

I knows it’s wrong but that premise sounds a lot like Preacher.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Testimony by James Smythe is the one I was thinking about.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The Testimony by James Smythe is the one I was thinking about.

This was the one. Thank you!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome! Mainly because if that wasn't it I had no other leads...

I remember it being pretty good, but I haven't read it in years. I'm gonna have to fix that. It was an interesting idea.

There was one I read a while back, kinda semi related, that had some sort of global message where it said G O D I S N O W H E R E, and people were arguing if it was "God is now here" or "God is nowhere". That one might be hard to find too, but I'd like to remember how it was resolved.

Mainly I was just surprised god spoke english.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

I remember it being pretty good, but I haven't read it in years. I'm gonna have to fix that. It was an interesting idea.

There was one I read a while back, kinda semi related, that had some sort of global message where it said G O D I S N O W H E R E, and people were arguing if it was "God is now here" or "God is nowhere". That one might be hard to find too, but I'd like to remember how it was resolved.

I only remember that from the short-lived Skeet Ulrich TV show, Miracles. Did they steal it from a book?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it's a pretty widely known psychological test/puzzle thing. It was just the main plot point of the book.

Don't remember Miracles but I'll have to check it out. Ulritch is always fun to watch.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

wheatpuppy posted:

I only remember that from the short-lived Skeet Ulrich TV show, Miracles. Did they steal it from a book?

It's just an ancient anecdote. Here's a version from 1884: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/149426797?searchTerm=nowhere

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

All right, I feel bad because I haven't been able to identify books for other people, but I keep asking. Anyhow, I'm asking for help with another book:

It's Science Fiction, set on a series of habitats called the Archipelago. Theres a plotline about a giant cylinder ship one guy created that has a recreation of the entire landmass of Scotland inside, there's also a plot about a malevolent AI that manages to reinstantiate itself through the use of a book which gives people somewhat abstract roles and duties, and ends up "running" a program on an ersatz processor made up of people.

Edit: By "use of the book" I meanm it just distributes the book randomly, and because people are bored in their post-scarcity society they just do what it says for fun.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 4, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Agents are GO! posted:

All right, I feel bad because I haven't been able to identify books for other people, but I keep asking. Anyhow, I'm asking for help with another book:

It's Science Fiction, set on a series of habitats called the Archipelago. Theres a plotline about a giant cylinder ship one guy created that has a recreation of the entire landmass of Scotland inside, there's also a plot about a malevolent AI that manages to reinstantiate itself through the use of a book which gives people somewhat abstract roles and duties, and ends up "running" a program on an ersatz processor made up of people.

Edit: By "use of the book" I meanm it just distributes the book randomly, and because people are bored in their post-scarcity society they just do what it says for fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventus_(novel), maybe?

I haven't read it, but it has a place called The Archipelago and AIs and people being controlled.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That actually sounds cool as heck, but that's not it (I am going to read your suggestion now, though.)

Edit: actually it looks like it's one of that author's other book lol thanks a bunch! :krad:

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 5, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Which one?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
It's not lockstep or sun of suns

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

It's clearly saying go dis nowhere

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Punk rear end GotG giant head

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Okay, I have two obscure ones from my childhood that have been bothering me.

The first was about a bunch of kids finding some sort of magical adventure/ land in their garden. There are gnomes and fairies involved, and the bad guy was an old groundskeeper who lost a leg to gangrene. It may also have included something about a magical rose and/or key? No idea how old this book was, but I read it in the nineties. It was in Dutch, but I have a feeling it was translated because it had a very British feeling about it. Case in point, no one in their right mind would be familiar enough here with the concept of a grounds keeper to make for a good bad guy.

The second book was Dutch or Flemmish, published somewhere in the early nineties or late eighties, and featured a boy who was obsessed with gas stations. A gas station at the edge of his village has just installed a new automatic pump, and the boy is so impressed by the independence and autonomy of this new mechanism that he goes there every day to watch the gas pump. One day he runs away from home, decides to follow his dream, and goes to the gas station to become a pump himself. What follows is some weird chapters where, as the boy's conviction grows, his body slowly starts transforming into a gas pump. He's humanshaped, but shiny and chrome with a pump handle for a right arm. He takes great pride in this transformation and so does the book, which lovingly describes the changing seasons that bring rain and darkness but cannot lay a finger on his metal perfection.

I want to say I just imagined this, but I distinctly remember it being one of the first books that 7 year old Sobatchja didn't want to finish and trying to return it to the school library. But the teacher didn't let you return books until you finished them, so it was back to the old gas pump for me.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 9, 2021

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The first one sounds like something E(dith) Nesbit would have written, maybe?

I have no idea about the second one but I'm pretty sure someone asked about the same thing several months ago in this thread. No one was able to track it down then either, but maybe you could compare notes?

Dell_Zincht posted:

I think I posted my request in this thread ages ago, but I can't find it. I've been looking for this for over a decade now, everyone I've spoken to about it thinks I made it up, and I was convinced I was until I found someone on Goodreads asking about the exact same book.

It was a children's book, possibly a short story in an anthology. Read it in the UK when I was in primary school, so no later than 1995. My memories are that it was by a British author because of the terminology used, but I could be wrong there too.

It's about a boy who is fed up with life and wants to become a petrol pump (or gas pump.) He leaves school one day and walks for miles until he ends up by the side of a road somewhere. He sticks his finger in his ear like a pump and a man comes along and tries to pump petrol from him. The boy is nervous and can't so the man kicks him in the shins and then either he or someone else forces him to swallow an abacus(?)

Eventually the boy becomes a working petrol pump and one day his parents pump gas from him. He recognizes them but can't tell them it's him because, he's a petrol pump. One of his parents remarks that their son loved petrol pumps as they drive away.

Seriously i've tried Google, Goodreads, various other search engines and absolutely nobody knows what this story is. If someone could find out i'll happily reward them with an SA gift cert.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure it's not by Paul Jennings, even though it's exactly the sort of story he would write.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

wizzardstaff posted:

The first one sounds like something E(dith) Nesbit would have written, maybe?

I have no idea about the second one but I'm pretty sure someone asked about the same thing several months ago in this thread. No one was able to track it down then either, but maybe you could compare notes?

:aaaaa: What the gently caress. This is definitely the same book. Didn't know it was English, though. That might help me out.

Wizzardstaff, if you're reading this, you didn't make that book up.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Posting for a friend

quote:

Ok hive mind, give me a hand. Every time I watch The Matrix, I recall that as a child (this would be the 90s-early 00s) I read a short story that definitely heavily inspired it. Can't seem to find via google. Gonna place what info I remember from it below. If anyone recognizes or remembers anything relevant lmk:

Humans live in pods in these giant towers and are fed pleasant dream lives, like in the Matrix, in some way of service to a robot overlord

I BELEIVE the robot overlord is called "Thunder" but I'm not 100% on that

Main character is one of these humans, who is frequently woken up by Thunder to hunt down humans that have gone rogue

He spends some time trying to figure out why he hasn't received intel as to where the rogue human is this time, spends most of the short story thinking about it....then realizes he's the rogue human.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Posting for a friend
Wake Up To Thunder by Dean Koontz

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Splicer posted:

Wake Up To Thunder by Dean Koontz

He said that wasn't it 😕

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

He said that wasn't it 😕
...is he sure?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think it was called "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m looking for a book I read a long time ago. It’s about cave explorers that find a giant door deep underground. The climax of the story is that it ends up being a door to hell

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That sounds like “the descent” or maybe “deeper” by Jeff long

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

are there books about caves where its not a portal to hell??? this is news to me

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lady of Mazes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Agents are GO! posted:

Lady of Mazes.

Thanks!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

That sounds like “the descent” or maybe “deeper” by Jeff long

I don’t think either of these are it. I specifically remember a part where they use sonar on the door and determine the chamber beyond has no end.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RCarr posted:

I’m looking for a book I read a long time ago. It’s about cave explorers that find a giant door deep underground. The climax of the story is that it ends up being a door to hell

I know it's not what you're thinking about, but there's an early episode of The Real Ghostbusters where this literally happens.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, that particular idea gets used a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was an Image Comic (whose title escapes me, and only lasted one or two issues) about a military team that was being sent to Hell through a doorway discovered in a cave.