Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm trying to figure out if I want to care about the Astros if they're not gonna re-sign Springer. World Series MVP* homegrown talent and you're gonna let him walk? gently caress off.

*yes I know for the purposes of this discussion I don't care though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I want to care about the Astros if they're not gonna re-sign Springer. World Series MVP* homegrown talent and you're gonna let him walk? gently caress off.

I care but it's over and he's going to walk

There aren't even rumors of him talking to the Astros. Crane is really going to parlay the bangs into cheaping out and trying to convince fans the league screwed the Astros :toot:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
ah yes the league that prevented us from signing him by

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He didn't have enough funk

Cheer yourself up with the 2021 Giants Promotional Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjfZABX8Kw

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

ah yes the league that prevented us from signing him by

The league, uh, suppressed attendance last year, which cost us money that could have brought him back.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You shouldn’t care about the Astros because they are filthy cheaters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I haven’t kept up with a single baseball thing outside this thread since the season ended because I know it’ll only bring pain and misery, and things like this are why. Crane was handed the perfect excuse to accelerate the next tank phase that was clearly already in the works, and after everything else from the last few years there’s basically zero reason to be emotionally invested in the team in any way now. Just pretend Houston baseball does not exist anymore.

I can’t even derive any joy from Cleveland games anymore because those fuckers sold off the heart of the team just to save a few dimes and they managed to manufacture the most absolutely despicable and cowardly way to finally make a franchise change that should have been done decades ago.

This has been an absolute banner decade for “gently caress All Billionaires” and every headline coming out of this offseason just makes me want to throw hands at the nearest rich piece of poo poo.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The thing about DJLM is the Yankees had figured out that both Coors the park and the altitude had an effect on him and were considering signing him because they felt like getting him out of there would have good results. Then Cashman talked to Jim Hendry about it and he heavily recommended it because he drafted him and said he was a good guy and so on.

I'll have to see if I can find the article but there was something about people doing a study that the altitude messed with more than just pitchers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

didn't le mehieu win a batting title in colorado?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Nodoze posted:

The thing about DJLM is the Yankees had figured out that both Coors the park and the altitude had an effect on him and were considering signing him because they felt like getting him out of there would have good results. Then Cashman talked to Jim Hendry about it and he heavily recommended it because he drafted him and said he was a good guy and so on.

I'll have to see if I can find the article but there was something about people doing a study that the altitude messed with more than just pitchers

Yeah I think it was Derek Van Riper or one of the other Athletic/Fangraphs guys who did it but basically changing from normal altitude to Coors and back takes an adjustment period for oxygen levels, so both hitters and pitchers perform better on longer home stands/road trips and worse while making that adjustment. Also the breaks and spin rates on pitches are affected. IIRC the conclusion was Coors doesn’t help hitters as much as we think, and it’s even tougher for pitchers. But I haven’t read either site in over a year so maybe I’m misremembering.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We’ve known for awhile that Coors tends to have a negative effect overall on players because of the things you described. But DJLM went from a 92 OPS+ as a Rockie to 145 OPS+ as a Yankee. That’s more than just getting away from Coors. Plenty of other hitters have left that team before and they don’t all get a 50 point bump in OPS+.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

bawfuls posted:

We’ve known for awhile that Coors tends to have a negative effect overall on players because of the things you described. But DJLM went from a 92 OPS+ as a Rockie to 145 OPS+ as a Yankee. That’s more than just getting away from Coors. Plenty of other hitters have left that team before and they don’t all get a 50 point bump in OPS+.

While I agree that it is a huge jump, NYS' short porch has helped DJLM with the power numbers. I seem to recall an interview where he stated that he has really been trying to push the ball to right field to take advantage of it.

Went and pulled the numbers, and its much more drastic than I thought:

2019 Home: 157 wRC+ 311 PA
2019 Away: 116 wRC+ 344 PA
2020 Home: 256 wRC+ 111 PA
2020 Away: 98 wRC+ 109 PA

Obviously not a huge sample, but 15M AAV for that sort of production for half the games is pretty good IMO.

humpthewind fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 16, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah he has significant home/road splits as a Yankee too

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

all of the players jed signed are here too, laughing off-camera

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anyone looking for some baseball, the Dominican League finals are going on right now. Carlos Martinez is starting for Aguilas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAct41Kmldo

Edit: Ronald Guzman (whose batting .588) just annihilated a pitch from Martinez, lol

Edit Edit: back 2 back jacks no one out in the 1st, Martinez is getting hammered.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 16, 2021

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

humpthewind posted:

While I agree that it is a huge jump, NYS' short porch has helped DJLM with the power numbers. I seem to recall an interview where he stated that he has really been trying to push the ball to right field to take advantage of it.

Went and pulled the numbers, and its much more drastic than I thought:

2019 Home: 157 wRC+ 311 PA
2019 Away: 116 wRC+ 344 PA
2020 Home: 256 wRC+ 111 PA
2020 Away: 98 wRC+ 109 PA

Obviously not a huge sample, but 15M AAV for that sort of production for half the games is pretty good IMO.

I feel like he's pretty valuable as a defender, even if his metrics have slipped, now that he has shown he can play at least average on the left side of the infield.

I'd be absolutely thrilled, as a Yankees or Red Sox fan, with a guy capable at exploiting the home stadium. Ot doesn't always work out that way.

If the Cubs had traded Bryant, I'd have been absolutely happy with this kind of deal to get him back in a Cubs uniform after all this time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

are they letting players watch video this season?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Javier Baez account spotted

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Popete posted:

Anyone looking for some baseball, the Dominican League finals are going on right now. Carlos Martinez is starting for Aguilas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAct41Kmldo

Edit: Ronald Guzman (whose batting .588) just annihilated a pitch from Martinez, lol

Edit Edit: back 2 back jacks no one out in the 1st, Martinez is getting hammered.

Nice outfield assist to get to tying run at third.

Edit: lol, the next batter tied it anyway with a totally off balance looper.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 17, 2021

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

R.D. Mangles posted:

I heard on a pod that they are working on ways of making it happen by basically airdropping video onto ipads

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Spoeank posted:

I heard on a pod that they are working on ways of making it happen by basically airdropping video onto ipads

A drone holding an ipad? Cause that'd be neat.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

A drone holding an ipad? Cause that'd be neat.

Look at this pleb Android user

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

humpthewind posted:

Look at this pleb Android user

Android has device to device sharing.

I just want drones at baseball games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I just don't see how it's so difficult to automatically crop the raw feed footage for player's in-game video so that the signs aren't visible. Hell, why can't they do that for the replay room as well? I did an LP years ago with freemium software and even it let me just set up a script I could run the raw video through that auto-cropped the footage as I wanted.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
So what's the deal with somebody like Liam Hendriks (and most likely Brad Hand) getting multi-year contracts instead of having been picked up on waivers for less? Was this a misread of the market? Collusion amongst teams to let players pass through waivers and further depress salaries? Both? It still doesn't make sense to me.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 17, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vernacular posted:

So what's the deal with somebody like Liam Hendriks (and most likely Brad Hand) getting multi-year contracts instead of having been picked up on waivers for less? Was this a misread of the market? Collusion amongst teams to let players pass through waivers and further depress salaries? Both? It still doesn't make sense to me.
Cleveland decided that they were not going to compete this year at all despite being in a winnable division.

But yes there is definitely going to be some degree of collusion this offseason since A) Covid gives them the excuse to cry poor, and B) This is a CBA year

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

I know, just joshing you.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Vernacular posted:

I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of the deals are backloaded. So sure Hand might get 3x10, but in reality gets 4, 13, 13 or something like that because teams budgets are constrained.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone else listen to Pardon my Take? Do you think Jose Canseco will actually fight this intern, or does he end up flaking out like he does on most his pursuits. I am pretty convinced he is dealing with some pretty serious drug/mental health problems.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Vernacular posted:

I know they're the outlier, but Alderson said if Cohen would of had control of the team at that point, the Mets likely would of claimed Hand when he weas on waivers

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

How. How do people still type this.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Timby posted:

How. How do people still type this.

I’m very stupid, that’s how

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mustached Demon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJV2OrVxc_E

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/NBCSCubs/status/1351019978863079428

It wouldn't be a Cubs offseason if they didn't pick up a guy who was good several years ago.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCubs/status/1351019978863079428

It wouldn't be a Cubs offseason if they didn't pick up a guy who was good several years ago.

What do you mean? He shaved 8.59 ERA off of his 2019 record this past season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

shelby miller has sucked for years!!!!!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Worth a click

https://twitter.com/hannahrkeyser/status/1351201624384024580?s=21

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Shelby Miller throws to hard to be a cub.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Any other team signing Miller is a fine low risk depth move because hey if he has figured something out after all those TJS's to get back to what he was then great and if not who cares. But the Cubs' pitching depth is so shot to poo poo right now that barring an actual signing he is the 5th starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Reds asking for Gleyber for Castillo is dumb. That was never going to happen.