Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UzPxRqoXeXQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this mask poo poo is so dire. how does anyone find this garbage entertaining

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Putting Elizabeth Smart in that mask feels like the simulation is loving with us

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

our culture must be annihilated root and branch.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm curious as to who on Earth would 1) ever in a million years think or be excited that Elizabeth Smart was on some weird competition show 2) recognize Elizabeth Smart's face

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad she got to do something fun and had a good time :)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't even recognize her name

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The whole masked dancer thing confuses the crap out of me

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Sequel to Masked Singer, a show that my cop-loving ex-friend really enjoys, so :shrug:.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its a much better concept if youre not watching the american version because in other territories they tend to use people who actually know how to sing and the similarly experienced commentators make educated guesses based on the way they perform its very different from the american version picking vaguely famous names at random and then teaching them to sing incompetently while wearing fursuits and then idiots make guesses entirely based on blues clues skits

at its best masked singer can be a proving ground for popular musicians that they actually have talent or a chance for more obscure musicians to get exposure but no serious musician would be caught dead in the trashy american version and i doubt the producers have the first idea where theyd find obscure ones

i suspect the jackass who licensed the american version literally just saw that time ryan reynolds went on the korean version and decided the whole show was like that and not that it was a one off gimmick someone thought would be funny

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh wait were talking about masked dancer

well fortunately the exact same criticism still works if you word filter sing to dance since they just copy pasted their stupid concept the same way

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Who is Elizabeth smart again

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

not usually one to deadname, but remember derek smart?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wheeee posted:

remember derek smart?

who?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Derek smart sounds like a gundam character

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
forgot the thread context and seriously googled whether Derek Smart had transitioned

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

forgot the thread context and seriously googled whether Derek Smart had transitioned

same

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

Derek smart sounds like a gundam character

he'll appear in this thread if you post his names three times faster

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Taintrunner posted:

he'll appear in this thread if you post his names three times faster

there goes taintrunner, sharing the forbidden secrets of the Red Science like it's nothing again

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

babypolis posted:

this mask poo poo is so dire. how does anyone find this garbage entertaining

uber_stoat posted:

our culture must be annihilated root and branch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm still holding out for The Masked Dental Hygienist

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the wildest thing about Mrs. Doubtfire is that the protagonist quits his job over a creative disagreement, gets divorced, and then immediately gets another job given to him by an "employment office". he doesn't even have to apply or do any interviews or suck any dicks.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

the wildest thing about Mrs. Doubtfire is that the protagonist quits his job over a creative disagreement, gets divorced, and then immediately gets another job given to him by an "employment office". he doesn't even have to apply or do any interviews or suck any dicks.

The 90s were a different time

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

vyelkin posted:

The 90s were a different time

Boy, were they! Despite having also lived through the past 20 years, people my parents' age seem to have literally stopped forming new memories. Or they expire at like 6 months and they just cannot recall past conditions that might have some effect on our current conditions. In turn, the idea that our present conditions might have some as-yet-to-be-seen effect on our future conditions is just absolute shrieking lunacy as far as they are concerned and no more worth engaging with than a door-to-door salesman hawking schematics for perpetual motion machines buildable from everyday household objects.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
even when I saw this movie in theaters as a kid I thought "I've seen my mom apply for jobs. this isn't how it works!" but I just chalked it up to the movie being set in San Francisco and presumed poo poo must be different there.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i rewatched parasite for the third or fourth time

still loving crushes me at the end

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

i rewatched parasite for the third or fourth time

still loving crushes me at the end

the only flaw with that movie is that I made jjapaguri (aka ram-don) and it wasn't very good

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Aglet56 posted:

the only flaw with that movie is that I made jjapaguri (aka ram-don) and it wasn't very good

you forgot the expensive cut of steak

the superior noodles are the Nongshim Shin Ramyun anyhow

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Who is Elizabeth smart again

for those of you who do not know or have forgotten, Elisabeth Smart is a person who is famous for having been kidnapped as a child and held as a sex slave by a psycho. there's your Masked Dancer.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

uber_stoat posted:

there's your Masked Dancer.

A little on the nose, imho.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dreylad posted:

that sounds like it's a bunch of people parodying liberal feminism but i should know better than to think it's anything but god's honest truth

This poo poo is fascinating, and I think it ties directly to YA fiction becoming the popular fiction of our times. Suddenly everything is life lessons and positive depictions because the audience is theoretically youngish kids, but the critics and reviewers all seem to be people who are much older. I'm interested in reading more about Good Dog/Bad Dog criticism.

That professor's experience just hits home that so much discussion surrounding art and literature and books and film exists in a void where historical context just doesn't exist. For me you can't talk about morality or politics about anything without some historical knowledge but that just doesn't seem to exist anymore.

It's also a problem because YA fiction is incredibly loving shallow and lets them take away whatever they want from it. Turns out JK is a raging conservative transphobe and suddenly tons of odd but not creepy stuff from her books now reads in a wildly different manner.

I don't think the article reads like its parodying anything and just having the exchange between the author and her old white professor is perfect to explain the problem. It won't really matter what she does to present complex topics on race & media the people who want to make an issue of it will always assume she's their ally regardless of anything else because they don't see her as a figure of authority.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Aglet56 posted:

Isn't that the point, at least with how it's prepped in the movie? Overly expensive ingredients to make a mediocre dish.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dreylad posted:

I'm interested in reading more about Good Dog/Bad Dog criticism.

Eve Sedgwick is pretty awesome.

http://www.bu.edu/honoringeve/files/2009/09/paranoid-reading-and-reparative-reading.pdf

quote:

Sometime back in the middle of the first decade of the AIDS epidemic, I was picking the brains of a friend of mine, the activist scholar Cindy Patton, about the probable natural history of HIV. This was at a time when speculation was ubiquitous about whether the virus had been deliberately engineered, or spread; whether HIV represented a plot or experiment by the U.S. military that had gotten out of control, or perhaps that was behaving exactly as it was meant to. After hearing a lot from her about the geography and economics of the global traffic in blood products, I finally, with some eagerness, asked Patton what she thought of these sinister rumors about the virus's origin. "Any of the early steps in its spread could have been either accidental or deliberate:” she said. "But I just have trouble getting interested in that. I mean, even suppose we were sure of every element of a conspiracy: that the lives of Africans and African Americans are worthless in the eyes of the United States; that gay men and drug users are held cheap where they aren't actively hated; that the military deliberately researches ways to kill noncombatants whom it sees as enemies; that people in power look calmly on the likelihood of catastrophic environmental and population changes. Supposing we were ever so sure of all those things - what would we know then that we don't already know?"

quote:

Paranoia is anticipatory: “The first imperative of paranoia is There must be no bad surprises, and indeed, the aversion to surprise seems to be what cements the intimacy between paranoia and knowledge per se, including both epistemophilia and skepticism. […] The unidirectionally future-oriented vigilance of paranoia generates paradoxically, a complex relation to temporality that burrows both backward and forward: because there must be no bad surprises, and because learning of the possibility of a bad surprise would itself constitute a bad surprise, paranoia requires that bad news be always already known” (130).

Paranoia is reflective and mimetic: “Paranoia seems to require being imitated to be understood, and it, in turn, seems to understand only imitation. Paranoia proposes both Anything you can do (to me) I can do worse, and Anything you can do (to me) I can do first–to myself. […] one understands paranoia only by oneself practicing paranoid knowing, and […] the way paranoia has of understanding anything is by imitating and embodying it” (131).

Paranoia is a strong theory: Sedgwick quotes Silvan Tomkins for a definition of “strong theory”: “Any theory of wide generality […] is capable of accounting for a wide spectrum of phenomena which appear to be very remote, one from the other, and from a common source. This is a commonly accepted criterion by which the explanatory power of any scientific theory can be evaluated” (134). Here’s Sedgwick: “As strong theory, and as a locus of reflexive mimeticism, paranoia is nothing if not teachable. The powerfully ranging and reductive force of strong theory can make tautological thinking hard to identify even as it makes it compelling and near inevitable; the result is that both writers and readers can damagingly misrecognize whether and where real conceptual work is getting done, and precisely what that work might be” (136).

Paranoia is a theory of negative affects: Positive affects are about seeking pleasure; negative affects are about avoiding or forestalling pain. This one is fairly self-explanatory.

Paranoia places its faith in exposure: “Whatever account it may give of its own motivation, paranoia is characterized by placing, in practice, an extraordinary stress on the efficacy of knowledge per se–knowledge in the form of exposure. […] paranoia for all its vaunted suspicion acts as though its work would be accomplished if only it could finally, this time, somehow get its story known. That a fully initiated listener could still remain indifferent or inimical, or might have no help to offer, is hardly treated as a possibility” (138).

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lots of funny replies to this woman being right lol https://twitter.com/benedict_rs/status/1349954211358924800 posting this here so u morons hopefulyl start a huge argument about it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i dunno, i don't really care about fanfiction. everyone starts off as a bad writer, most people just doesn't put their early writing on display for the public. not everyone gets better but since when was getting published ever solely about writing well?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

lots of funny replies to this woman being right lol https://twitter.com/benedict_rs/status/1349954211358924800 posting this here so u morons hopefulyl start a huge argument about it

50 shades started as twilight fanfic case closed

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Isn't that the point, at least with how it's prepped in the movie? Overly expensive ingredients to make a mediocre dish.

if you leave out the steak (I.e. just mix together two kinds of instant noodles), it's apparently a fad from a popular parenting show in Korea that claims to be an easy way of making a tasty dish for cheap. unfortunately, it's kind of just a salty bland mess

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

if you leave out the steak (I.e. just mix together two kinds of instant noodles), it's apparently a fad from a popular parenting show in Korea that claims to be an easy way of making a tasty dish for cheap. unfortunately, it's kind of just a salty bland mess

i tried it a couple times and had pretty disappointing results because i think you have to get the ratio of the soup packet things perfectly right. but i totally believe it can be really good because korean instant noodles in general all kick rear end

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

yea i grew up thinking the Japanese brands were the good instant noodles but it's really the Koreans who have that poo poo on lock

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

We need to go back to the era when European fiction writing had to pretend it was a dream journal or story heard from someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Fan Fiction is always great, poo poo writes itself

Captain Jean Luc Picard got interrupted playing Dixon Hill on the holodeck and was so mad as he walked on to the bridge, wearing his trench coat and detective's hat.

"Sir, admiral so and so has an urgent message through subspace" commander riker says with furrowed brow

"MAIN SCREEN" yells captain picard as he throws his hat to an ensign departing for the turbolift, Picard leaves on the trench coat and pops the collar as the admiral appears on screen

"Greetings Captain, a long range sensor relay near the Ngame Nebula has detected what appears to be a distress signal."

"A distress signal?" Picard repeats what the admiral said as a question, then continues "The enterprise encountered an anomaly there, a local wormhole which rendered the crew unconscious, well, except of course for commander data. probe and sensor readings failed to pick up anything capable of producing any signal"

"Well, it appears there is more to this nebula than we first ascertained. It seems as if we have a mystery on our hands."

"I'm dressed for it." Picard winks and ends communication with the admiral.

"Mr Data, set course of the Ngame Nebula, warp 7"

"ENGAGE"