Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
YouTube won't stop recommending me TZ episode clips, and I can't stop watching them. I have yet to run into a bad one. What a drat good show. What are some of your fave Twilight Zone eps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the one where the kids were obliterated by a helicopter

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The original Twilight Zone is really loving good. The majority of the episodes still hold up and a lot of the messages are even more relevant today than they were back then.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I like the one where the prime minister had to gently caress a pig on live television.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I did not like the one where Donald Trump is president.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Jose Oquendo posted:

The original Twilight Zone is really loving good. The majority of the episodes still hold up and a lot of the messages are even more relevant today than they were back then.

This happens to be the show I'm talking about, sorry, I actually forgot they made another Twilight Zone.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdo3BP3m42I

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
rod serling was 5 foot 4

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
One of the best TV series ever made and you can see how many movies or episodes of other shows stole ideas from it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gologle posted:

This happens to be the show I'm talking about, sorry, I actually forgot they made another Twilight Zone.

I knew it was :)

There have been 3 revivals and a movie. The 80's revival wasn't too bad really. It had some good talent on the writing, directing, and acting. Unfortunately, the show also looks like rear end and it has that feel of a lovely syndicated show because part of it was. The 2000's revival...I have never seen an episode of it and I never hear a word of it, so I'm guessing it was bad. The current revival on CBS All Access is...ok. The show wants you to think it's telling these thought provoking stories, but most of them are dumb. It's like the writers are huffing their own farts while writing the episodes.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

eSports Chaebol posted:

rod serling was 5 foot 4

Imagine if you will, a manlet, scorned by women and men alike. But this is no ordinary short man. This one is about to put on a fedora, in the twilight zone.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

It's interesting to see episodes with actors early in their careers. People like Steve McQueen, Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, Ron Howard.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

It's good that you made this topic. Real good.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I watch a few intermittently on Hulu, and am by no means an expert. Of the bundle I’ve seen I particularly like the rich guy who wants people who he feels slighted by to apologize to him, and he tries to coerce an apology by trying to convince them a nuclear war is beginning. Another is robbers who steal some gold, are artificially frozen, and their gold is of no value by that point. Overall, a lot of great episodes and are re-watchable.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
rod sterling s history is amazing.

He basically didnt want the sponser meddling so the series of an analogy. I always like "an obsolete man" and "to serve man"

this was also pretty good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invaders_(The_Twilight_Zone)

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
I sing the body electric

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hQvBIyOC6Y

How many eps ended with a surprise appearance by hitler

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I watched every episode from about April to June, and I actually put together a list of all the ones I thought are still genuinely worth watching even now. With a bonus list of all the ones that I still did not regret watching but that are not exactly must-see. I think overall I put more than half of the episodes on one of the two lists, which is mind-blowingly amazing for a show starting in the 1950s. That is impressive for a show from the 2000s, honestly

"Time Enough At Last" is the one you need to watch to instantly retroactively get that one joke that has been made countless times across all other media

Edit: I might as well post my killer list lest someone accuse me of trying to beg someone to ask me to post it; I think if you seriously want the "this is not terrible" list you might as well just watch all the episodes yourself since that definitely gets way more subjective)

Time Enough At Last
King Nine Will Not Return
The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street
In His Image
The Encounter
The Shelter
Elegy
And When the Sky Was Opened
Mr. Bevis
Third From the Sun
The Old Man in the Cave
The Hitch-Hiker
The Rip Van Winkle Caper
Twenty Two
It's a Good Life (astounding how they time-travelled and satirized Trump)
Static
The Big Tall Wish
Walking Distance
Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up
Queen of the Nile
The Passersby
The Midnight Sun
The Jungle
Once Upon a Time
To Serve Man
Little Girl Lost (I think this would have scarred me for life as a child even though as an adult it is not specifically terrifying)
Young Man's Fancy
I Sing the Body Electric
On Thursday We Leave For Home
In Praise of Pip (probably only if you are a parent)
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
Living Doll
The Long Morrow
The Self-Improvement of Salvadore Ross
Night Call
The Jeopardy Room
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (I mean this should not count but it is technically a Twilight Zone episode)
The Brain Center at Whipple's
The Fear (just gets credit for seeming like a modern horror movie yet somehow being hilarious)

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 17, 2021

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

bossy lady posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hQvBIyOC6Y

How many eps ended with a surprise appearance by hitler

All of them

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Dr. Quarex posted:

I watched every episode from about April to June, and I actually put together a list of all the ones I thought are still genuinely worth watching even now. With a bonus list of all the ones that I still did not regret watching but that are not exactly must-see. I think overall I put more than half of the episodes on one of the two lists, which is mind-blowingly amazing for a show starting in the 1950s. That is impressive for a show from the 2000s, honestly

"Time Enough At Last" is the one you need to watch to instantly retroactively get that one joke that has been made countless times across all other media

Edit: I might as well post my killer list lest someone accuse me of trying to beg someone to ask me to post it

Post it bitch

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I like the episodes where people are tormented and confused for 20 minutes, and then you find out they're really toys but there's no moral.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh no the worst of both worlds, I posted it AND was called out

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The one where William shatner turned out to be a gambling addict is really realistic and does a good job

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
They were all pretty good taken one at a time but if you watch more than a few in a row it turns into a real chore. I can only take so much of one actor running around for thirty minutes trying to figure out if he's crazy before I really stop giving a drat

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
The one where the dude was obsessed with books and the world ended and he was happy that he was the only one left and had a pile of books to read.

Then broke his glasses and was blind!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Dr. Quarex posted:

Edit: I might as well post my killer list lest someone accuse me of trying to beg someone to ask me to post it; I think if you seriously want the "this is not terrible" list you might as well just watch all the episodes yourself since that definitely gets way more subjective)

Time Enough At Last
King Nine Will Not Return
The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street
In His Image
The Encounter
The Shelter
Elegy
And When the Sky Was Opened
Mr. Bevis
Third From the Sun
The Old Man in the Cave
The Hitch-Hiker
The Rip Van Winkle Caper
Twenty Two
It's a Good Life (astounding how they time-travelled and satirized Trump)
Static
The Big Tall Wish
Walking Distance
Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up
Queen of the Nile
The Passersby
The Midnight Sun
The Jungle
Once Upon a Time
To Serve Man
Little Girl Lost (I think this would have scarred me for life as a child even though as an adult it is not specifically terrifying)
Young Man's Fancy
I Sing the Body Electric
On Thursday We Leave For Home
In Praise of Pip (probably only if you are a parent)
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
Living Doll
The Long Morrow
The Self-Improvement of Salvadore Ross
Night Call
The Jeopardy Room
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (I mean this should not count but it is technically a Twilight Zone episode)
The Brain Center at Whipple's
The Fear (just gets credit for seeming like a modern horror movie yet somehow being hilarious)

Missing Number Twelve Looks Just Like You, but otherwise a good list.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm suprised He's Alive isn't on that list, it's near prophetic.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

If I remember correctly, it has a happy ending, but The Night of the Meek (the Santa Clause one) always depresses me to no end. The unrealistic aspect of it is relatively small, while the realistic portion takes up the majority of the episode and is incredibly relatable

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Rod Serling was a goddamn hell of a writer. He wrote an insane amount of the entire run of episodes. Love me some Twilight Zone.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Missing Number Twelve Looks Just Like You, but otherwise a good list.

Gologle posted:

I'm suprised He's Alive isn't on that list, it's near prophetic.
I think these are both on my "not bad" list, but it is also possible I watched either of those in the Stalizard Zone where I had watched too many in a row and was like "O.K., another nightmarish dystopia, got it"

"He's Alive" would probably have seemed even more relevant if I had watched it eight months later, true, and I would certainly endorse adding either of those to the list. I would be surprised if anyone advocated for an episode I outright thought was horrible, though I am looking forward to that very thing happening immediately now

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm sure most people itt will know this factoid but it bears repeating in case anyone doesn't know, Rod Serling was a veteran of WW2 and saw extensive combat in the Pacific theatre.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/rod-serling-twilight

the article posted:

After weeks of intense combat, many of the paratroopers, Serling included, began to wilt under the pressure. His experiences as a member of his company’s demolition platoon—generally considered suicide duty—left him deeply scarred. In one instance, Serling’s good friend, Private Melvin Levy, ventured out to watch an aircraft drop off food crates to the beleaguered paratroopers. Levy was joking about where the food would fall when one of the crates landed on his head and decapitated him as Serling looked on in horror. Although he was injured twice during the fighting, once in the kneecap with a wound that would plague him to the end of his life, Serling was not medically evacuated.

That's the bit people usually share but the rest of the article is worth reading. I always knew he saw combat but I didn't realize how much.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm sure most people itt will know this factoid but it bears repeating in case anyone doesn't know, Rod Serling was a veteran of WW2 and saw extensive combat in the Pacific theatre.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/rod-serling-twilight

That's the bit people usually share but the rest of the article is worth reading. I always knew he saw combat but I didn't realize how much.

Sterling's opinions on war and imperialism were so apparent. I always loved this bit from "no time like the past".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne4bMAeW9lI

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
3 packs a day holy poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I grew up watching TZ marathons on TV, and even as a dumb kid I was enraptured by the thing.

I think the fact that it's a black and white work helped make it a weird kind of classic yet timeless thing. Unlike, say, I Love Lucy, TZ had a real Noir, almost cinematic, look in some episodes. And it had the benefit of not doing way out sci-fi creatures a bunch (which has dated The Outer Limits).

Thinking about it over the years, I think the success of the series is a mix of a few things:

* B&W making sure it didn't look too cheap
* pulling from established authors/stories (I think An Occurrence at Owl Creek Ridge may have been picked up from a foreign production, for example)
* Serling or the producer's oversight on stories
* drawing from Radio Play production for that really emotive presentation
* Maintaining a human element to the stories

A lot of the greats are just the human condition with a bit of fantasy thrown in to help you buy into it.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
That dinner table scene linked above is still so good.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Buttchocks posted:

I like the episodes where people are tormented and confused for 20 minutes, and then you find out they're really toys but there's no moral.

Five Characters in Search of an Exit lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
The Old Man in the Cave and The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street have stuck with me since I was a kid

extremely upsetting, generally accurate depictions of human beings in groups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I still think of Forrest Whittaker as 'that Twilight Zone guy'. True story.