Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

lots of funny replies to this woman being right lol https://twitter.com/benedict_rs/status/1349954211358924800 posting this here so u morons hopefulyl start a huge argument about it

was thinking about how paradise lost as well as pretty much any mythologic epic is essentially fan fiction as a counter example, but then realized maybe all the classics sucked rear end too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

the divine comedy is the best bible fan fiction

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

was thinking about how paradise lost as well as pretty much any mythologic epic is essentially fan fiction as a counter example, but then realized maybe all the classics sucked rear end too

Paradise lost sucks at its intended purpose of making lucifer seem like a petty tryant bc it succeeds very well at making him husbando

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

mandatory lesbian posted:

Paradise lost sucks at its intended purpose of making lucifer seem like a petty tryant bc it succeeds very well at making him husbando

ah the original Joker (2019) with Joaquin Phoenix

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

when people talk about fan fiction they arent talking about milton or shakespeare or homer lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

fan fiction does depend on the existence of intellectual property. otherwise it would just be fiction.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

fan fiction does depend on the existence of intellectual property. otherwise it would just be fiction.

- mark twain

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Paradise Lost is to the Bible as 50 Shades of Grey is to Twilight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its a silly distinction at this point since for all practical intents and purposes all branded fiction is effectively fanfiction

like the jj abrams star trek movies didnt even pretend like they had any understanding of the characters beyond lazy family guy parodies and as far as i can tell picard is even worse in that regard

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

like the jj abrams star trek movies didnt even pretend like they had any understanding of the characters

this is why they weren’t unwatchable dreck

not that they were great or anything, but still miles better than the source material

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

indigi posted:

this is why they weren’t unwatchable dreck

not that they were great or anything, but still miles better than the source material

source your quotes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

working with someone else’s ip is functionally fanfiction

at any rate who gives a poo poo; turning up your nose at genre fiction only encourages people who write it to be shittier and shittier at it, and being dismissive of someone’s roots in fanfiction is silly. you gotta get all that bad writing out, might as well be about naruto or the phantom of the opera. it’s no different than writing a bunch of different genre cliches and stock characters, you just don’t delude yourself into thinking your characterz are Perfectly Original

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

working with someone else’s ip is functionally fanfiction

at any rate who gives a poo poo; turning up your nose at genre fiction only encourages people who write it to be shittier and shittier at it, and being dismissive of someone’s roots in fanfiction is silly. you gotta get all that bad writing out, might as well be about naruto or the phantom of the opera. it’s no different than writing a bunch of different genre cliches and stock characters, you just don’t delude yourself into thinking your characterz are Perfectly Original

Naomi Novik got her start writing Master & Commander fan fiction. Jodi Picoult got her start being Jodi Picoult.

Really makes you think

edit: Jodi Picoult is a very bad writer in every possible sense. She is proof that you can publish subfanfiction level work and become a millionaire by convincing your old Ivy League buddies in the publishing industry to heavily promote you

Toph Bei Fong has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Jan 17, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
She says that like pandering and using formulaic tropes are somehow exclusive to fanfiction

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Eragon was just Star Wars fanfiction

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/russellcrowe/status/1350675788102713346?s=19

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving owned lmao

Russell Crowe should make a virtuosity sequel though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

Russell Crowe should make a virtuosity sequel though

Hell yes brother

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fuckin lol this dude’s Twitter

https://twitter.com/russellcrowe/status/1347741014140669954?s=20

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Master and Commander is good actually

Not because it's a movie about war but because it's a movie about friendship

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It also stars a real ship

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Master and Commander is good actually

Not because it's a movie about war but because it's a movie about friendship

it's good cause old-timey sailing ship stuff is cool as hell

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's a perfect movie for a man to watch while drinking himself into a dark oblivion alone in his study

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/smotus/status/1350494737975832578

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Master and Commander was the best Star Trek movie

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

That's some choice thought, thanks. Now I've got another author to read.

It chimed with me so well, perhaps, because I had an ex who got further and further into conspiracy thinking during our relationship. And I think that Sedgwick is right, it's a form of self protection, of trying to insulate yourself from future hurt by presupposing it. It rarely seems to translate into action, mostly just reciting and forecasting doom. (As my ex descended into anti-cancer and Big Pharma nonsense, she started to accuse me of infidelity, on the basis of no evidence at all. But did she leave or want to know why? No, just wanted to be angry about it. The analogy is clear.)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Master and Commander is a great movie because it really captures the wildest part of naval service in the age of sail: wander around in a vast hostile emptiness hoping the ocean doesn't kill you before you run into the enemy so you can kill each other

if you think about it the most important parts of the movie are the ones where they're sitting around a table trying to predict the enemy's movements, because if they get their predictions wrong then they'll go to the wrong part of the Pacific Ocean and their enemy will escape forever

it's really the nature of the thing they're depicting (age of sail naval warfare) that means it becomes a movie about friendship and bonding, because the bulk of the movie is just some guys on a ship for months on end sailing around a featureless ocean bonding with each other so that if the terrifying few hours of action ever finally arrive they'll trust one another enough to win the fight

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Russell Crowd sometimes shows real self-awareness (he once laughed off the idea of acting being hard work, "dressing up and playing pretend").

Other times, he's got the thinnest skin and is massively self-important.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

nonathlon posted:

Russell Crowd sometimes shows real self-awareness (he once laughed off the idea of acting being hard work, "dressing up and playing pretend").

Other times, he's got the thinnest skin and is massively self-important.

master and commander is a really cool movie so ill allow it this time

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

big mouth is a bad show but i did get a laugh out of a bit i saw where one of the kids is making movie references and the other one is like "wtf are you talking about i dont watch movies, only an interminable series of 10 minute youtube videos"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

it's good cause old-timey sailing ship stuff is cool as hell

i listened to typhoon by joseph conrad on audible recently

the story's pretty cool BUT it's pretty fuckin racist BUT it was free, overall 6/10

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

also shoutout to russell boyd's cinematography on master & commander, crowe's right that poo poo is dope

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The only thing holding back Master amd Commander from being a perfect movie is that it's about the badguys

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

babypolis posted:

master and commander is a really cool movie so ill allow it this time

You've gotta separate the master from the commander

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

master and commander is beautifully shot and it is nice to watch a movie that features carefully crafted real objects so prominently

it's cool to be able to watch a film and be like "check that out, they tried to make a movie"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

The only thing holding back Master amd Commander from being a perfect movie is that it's about the badguys

I'm not going to pretend it's secretly anti-nationalism or anything but the movie does make it look extremely absurd imo

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

yeah and master and commander does a good job making being an officer dreamy and sweet while everyone else looks like they are eating poo poo at all times except when they are drunk and singing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

an actual dog posted:

I'm not going to pretend it's secretly anti-nationalism or anything but the movie does make it look extremely absurd imo

yeah uh, it's been a while but i don't think master and commander made the british navy look like a particularly nice working environment!!