Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I remember Wolverine piloting a Metal Gear robot in Chappie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

teagone posted:

I watched Troy (non director's cut) because I've been on a Hades kick, and maaaaan, Brad Pitt as Achilles will never not do things to me, lmao. Gotta laugh at his accent though.

Sorry for the post necromancy, but David Gyasi as Achilles in the 2018 version manages to outdo him (at least as far as physique).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gonz posted:

The Kanga is not a Metal Gear, as it is not armed with a nuclear warhead.

and before you bring up the Rays, the Rays are Metal Gears because they are called Metal Gears in the game. And the Kanga is never called a Metal Gear, so that doesn't apply either

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gripweed posted:

The Gekko were fairly unique

The only movie I can remember ripping them off was Robocop, which just did the Raiden vs Gekko fight but with Robocop and ED-109 and a gun instead of a sword

Thicc.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Gripweed posted:

and before you bring up the Rays, the Rays are Metal Gears because they are called Metal Gears in the game. And the Kanga is never called a Metal Gear, so that doesn't apply either

SEMANTICS.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

I think MGS IV started the leggy robots.

That’s certainly one of the big ones, but Blomkamp’s “Tetra Vaal” short film (which would become Chappie) was released 2004. That signalled a major shift in how these things are depicted. Like, contrast the doofy mech suits in Avatar with the one from District 9 at around the same time. They make Cameron’s thing look positively antiquated.

Shortly after that, Battle: Los Angeles is the first movie I can recall where it’s explicitly a reference to the BigDog robot; the alien tech in that movie is mostly based on real-world experimental US military drones. Then you have Elysium the next year, and that kind-of solidified things. Robocop, Kill Command, Code 8, ReVolt, etc., that are all clearly Blomkampian.

Outside The Wire is the first I’ve seen that’s just kinda... eh. The only interesting concept is that its robo-soldiers are stupid, mute, and easily spooked - so their ‘personality’ is like somebody gave a horse an assault rifle, and even the guys on their own team are nervous around them. But that’s just one sentence, when the movie’s over an hour long.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Metal Gear?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gonz posted:

The robot's pretty clearly a take on ED-209, complete with the whole joke he's trying to sell it to the police who think it's absurdly expensive and impractical overkill. (not American police, obviously)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can any of you help me remember something random. I'm trying to remember a nickname that people used to use that was basically a native American characters names that want Squanto. I believe it was a fictional character and was like the guide for the other characters in the show.

The nickname would be complimentary and would be like "great job xxxxx" xxxxx being the nickname.

It was used as a nickname in a bigger older movie but I can't remember what one

Hope any of thise made sense, thanks goons

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Can any of you help me remember something random. I'm trying to remember a nickname that people used to use that was basically a native American characters names that want Squanto. I believe it was a fictional character and was like the guide for the other characters in the show.

The nickname would be complimentary and would be like "great job xxxxx" xxxxx being the nickname.

Tonto?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No but I remembered it was Cochise!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Empress Brosephine posted:

Kemosabe?

e: never mind

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now to remember what movie the one guy called three other guy Cochise was

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh shoot it's this!!!! Not Cochise but this!!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was kemosabe I was thinking of, that's great.

I was confusing Cochise from The Warriors

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Given its success, it blows my mind that Bueller never made anything again after “Day Off.”

Who are some other directors that just made one solid film and bowed out?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Given its success, it blows my mind that Bueller never made anything again after “Day Off.”

Max Keeble

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Billy Lynn
Sweet Sweetback

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The coward Robert Ford never made another film with his name on it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

josh04 posted:

The coward Robert Ford never made another film with his name on it.

Not did the Big Lebowski, for that matter. Mind you, he was kinda lazy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Its odd that Bridget Jones hasn't made anything in awhile.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I liked Schindler's List, I wonder what else he wrote.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Many people know and love Dawn's dish soap, but few recall their brief venture into horror cinema with the strangely-titled cult classic, Evil Dead 2: Dead. That of course was a sequel, which in turn got a sequel, but for some reason part 2 is the only one with Dawn's name attached.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Charles Laughton.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Charles Laughton.

:hmmyes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm gonna tell my kids this was Nirvana

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

Charles Laughton.

Not an emptyquote

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I miss the theater. I hope things go well fighting the pandemic so I can get back to it. It is my favorite past time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gatts posted:

I miss the theater. I hope things go well fighting the pandemic so I can get back to it. It is my favorite past time.

I hope things go well so people stop dying from the virus.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I wish I was as woke as CPL

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

Hot take

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CPL593H posted:

This too.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Charles Laughton.

this is actually what i had in mind when i made that post

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

this is actually what i had in mind when i made that post

The other answers were much better though.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I feel like Pete Buttigieg is ultimately the one who decided to book The New Radicals for Biden’s inauguration. He used all the political capital he had to ram that one through.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I feel like Pete Buttigieg is ultimately the one who decided to book The New Radicals for Biden’s inauguration. He used all the political capital he had to ram that one through.

Everything about this is entirely too on the nose. Jesus Christ.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Everything about this is entirely too on the nose. Jesus Christ.

It was the song Biden's dead son used as a motivator when he was fighting cancer, I'm not gonna nitpick the optics.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I didn't know Steve Buscemi, Adam Sandler and Brendan Fraser were in a grunge band together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I can't blame anyone for not remembering Airheads