Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/D9MSVBD.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The built in modem and the extremely easy to bypass copy protection

Original xbox had no built in modem. It did have an ethernet port but that's not a modem at all. Also sega was so buddy-buddy with microsoft during the original xbox days, there were heavy rumors MS was gonna buy them out way back when. Sega gave MS like 8 console exclusives and one of the best selling versions of the xbox even included a pack-in double sega game (jsrf and sega gt).

But on the subject of Yakuza, I blazed through Kiwami 2 this week. Is it supposed to be only like 30 hours or did I just roll through it really fast? I did 0 and Like A Dragon before it and poured almost 100 hours into of those so it felt kinda empty to end so soon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Microsoft was going to buy Sega until Sega got a literal deathbed gift of 500 million USD.

Judgement PC is nice but we need historical Yakuza first

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RevKrule posted:

Original xbox had no built in modem. It did have an ethernet port but that's not a modem at all.

You knew exactly what they meant, there's no need to be this pedantic over a dumb joke

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I beat LAD, fantastic game. Also despite using a trainer to cheat myself up to job/character level 99 and the EX EX weapon for every character, I still couldn't beat the final boss of the true final dungeon, his orbital laser does slightly more damage than I have HP even under those circumstances. I assume there's some simple gimmick I'm overlooking, I'm bad at JRPGs, but I can't even imagine having the kind of brain that would try to tackle that fight the legitimate way

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ainsley McTree posted:

despite using a trainer to cheat myself up to job/character level 99 and the EX EX weapon for every character
:chloe:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I didn't play the whole game like this, I just wanted to see what the end of the secret dungeon was

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Hell yeah, beat the game tonight!

*thread picks me up and throws me in the air, You're The Man!*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

beggar posted:

Hell yeah, beat the game tonight!

*thread picks me up and throws me in the air, You're The Man!*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwVcjMjmC3A

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How is this the first time I'm hearing about the piss mini game in 2. Was this added in Kiwami 2 or was it on the original?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Deified Data posted:

How is this the first time I'm hearing about the piss mini game in 2. Was this added in Kiwami 2 or was it on the original?

Added in Kiwami 2. I don't think Toylets were even invented when the original 2 came out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lareine posted:

Added in Kiwami 2. I don't think Toylets were even invented when the original 2 came out.

Yeah, they came out in 2011.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yosh

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

Isn’t the Japanese mentality towards homelessness and work basically the American “pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get five jobs” except a thousand times worse

Nanba calling Kasuga out on that at the start of the game must have gone over really differently for Japanese players than Western ones.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Toylets are real???

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Of course they are lol

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I basically take every aspect of Japan Yakuza presents me at face value.

yes including Osaka Castle

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Toylets are real???

Developed by Sega AM1.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I like how Yakuza is a parody of modern life much like GTA is but unlike GTA it does it without cynicism

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Toylets are real???

The toylet is just sega's version. There's like 6 different brands of them

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My Lovely Horse posted:

I basically take every aspect of Japan Yakuza presents me at face value.

yes including Osaka Castle

and the secret 2nd battleship yamato

edited for spoilers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's incredibly Yakuza that in Lost Paradise you just let Souther go and Devil Reverse, who somehow survived you killing him, is just hanging out helping repair the town.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

Isn’t the Japanese mentality towards homelessness and work basically the American “pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get five jobs” except a thousand times worse

From my experience the more expensive a city is the more apathy there would towards the homeless because they think the government will/should save them. But BJ doesn't seem to generate a countereponse in poverty activism.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm in Chapter 12 and I was upgrading some weapons. It costs 20 million to upgrade the workshop again. Should I assume the upgrades that unlocks are for postgame, or is it a good idea to grind up the cash?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I would. If you've "completed" the management game getting 20 million only takes maybe half an hour, it's just really tedious. The final weapons locked behind the upgrade each have special effects custom-tailored to their class, and they're pretty decent. Only go out of your way to get the ones for your "main" classes, though.

You can then keep improving each weapon up to a +9 although that is definitely postgame stuff, get the upgrades you happen to be able to do but don't worry about the rest.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

I'm in Chapter 12 and I was upgrading some weapons. It costs 20 million to upgrade the workshop again. Should I assume the upgrades that unlocks are for postgame, or is it a good idea to grind up the cash?

Yeah it's a pretty doable goal if you're pawning off the penultimate weapons you get as repeatable drops from the battle arena.

And asa above, you can also just grind out the management game if you don't mind holding R2/R trigger a bunch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, I haven't gone far enough to reach the battle arena yet so I didn't realize how much money you can get from it. Cool. I do want that Legendary Hero's Bat so I'll go for it.

A question about elemental damage: if a weapon has lightning damage on it, does that carry over to all physical skills the character does? Like if I have a lightning bat on Ichi and he uses Ultimate Stack Slap, does his bat's lightning damage carry over?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

Ah, I haven't gone far enough to reach the battle arena yet so I didn't realize how much money you can get from it. Cool. I do want that Legendary Hero's Bat so I'll go for it.

A question about elemental damage: if a weapon has lightning damage on it, does that carry over to all physical skills the character does? Like if I have a lightning bat on Ichi and he uses Ultimate Stack Slap, does his bat's lightning damage carry over?

Yup!

I first noticed it by getting the lightning gloves for Joon-gi and using his base class physical specials.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Harrow posted:

I have a theory that you can ignore upgrading weapons entirely until the postgame phase (instead buying the best ones you see in shops) but I didn't try it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Gort posted:

I have a theory that you can ignore upgrading weapons entirely until the postgame phase (instead buying the best ones you see in shops) but I didn't try it.

I tried that,the latter bosses are too spongy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Ah, I haven't gone far enough to reach the battle arena yet so I didn't realize how much money you can get from it.
Unlocking the battle arena is the very first major thing you do in chapter 12, despite how it may seem, and no matter where the plot seems to lead you can keep going back throughout.

Now the thing you're supposed to do immediately after you reach the arena, for that you'll want to be well prepared.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I tried that,the latter bosses are too spongy.

They were pretty spongy with the amount of upgrading I did, but who knows

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I forgot to post about it yesterday but the battle theme when you're fighting through (Chapter 10 spoilers) the Liumang mutiny to save Zhao is insanely good and probably my favorite music in the game so far. The whole classic kung fu movie vibe was perfect

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Met this Mabuchi guy and I’ve gotta say, seeing this haircut on a guy like this made me think that maybe I’m not really as stylish as I had thought

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

His music slaps too.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ghostlight posted:

His music slaps too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Combat in Lost Paradise is fine until you stumble on a group of enemies five levels higher than you and you suddenly only do chip damage to them lol.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I've never seen the Anime but is it as ridiculous as the game?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The anime has a ton of more ridiculous stuff going on because Lost Paradise only cribs a certain amount of it. The manga's way more violent, and is finally getting an official localization this Summer (with hardcover copies in color!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I've never seen the Anime but is it as ridiculous as the game?

In concept yes but it's close to 30 years old now and looks pretty early 80's doing it and it was never a big budget show lol.
The manga definitely