Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I love that none of us are genuinely surprised by this sort of thing but it seems like none of us can react to it in any way but exasperation. I mean America doesn't care if America lives or dies; that simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Both Cena and HHH were in the weird news thing so maybe that's just where the Fiend sends people. Which begs the question of when exactly he got to Steph and Sasha. Roman refusing to partake was clearly evidence that he's been able to resist the Fiend thus far. Subscribe to my youtube channel for more Fiend Listicles.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Grendels Dad posted:

Every other seat will be a screen from the THUNDERDOME.

The live audience will steal those screens while leaving early during the Triple H match.

Imagine buying a ticket for Wrestlemania and having an obstructed view seat from a huge loving Thunderdome audience screen

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Even if you liked the Funhouse "match" it's a really loving stupid way to send off your last genuine mainstream star, possibly ever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Benne posted:

Even if you liked the Funhouse "match" it's a really loving stupid way to send off your last genuine mainstream star, possibly ever.

On the other hand, they probably didn't know they sent him off possibly forever with that match. It's a pretty good send-off, considering that it's most likely accidental.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

Both Cena and HHH were in the weird news thing so maybe that's just where the Fiend sends people. Which begs the question of when exactly he got to Steph and Sasha. Roman refusing to partake was clearly evidence that he's been able to resist the Fiend thus far. Subscribe to my youtube channel for more Fiend Listicles.

If The Fiend has banished HHH and Stephanie to the ether maybe he is actually good.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

On the other hand, they probably didn't know they sent him off possibly forever with that match. It's a pretty good send-off, considering that it's most likely accidental.

Yeah the company tends to do it's "best" (?) work when it just sort of happens. Having such a Twin Peaks sort of end for Cena is both unexpected and sort of right up WWE's alley for its cynicism that permeates everything it does.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Considering Cena's literally shooting a TV show right now (the Suicide Squad spinoff he's the lead in), I'd be shocked if he does anything beyond maybe a pre-taped skit for WM.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I assume Cena's got one more Rumble win and Mania main event to go, in a year or two

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

If The Fiend has banished HHH and Stephanie to the ether maybe he is actually good.

wasn't Trips in the main event of Raw literally this week (or last, January has lasted several months so far so it's kinda hard to keep track)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

wasn't Trips in the main event of Raw literally this week (or last, January has lasted several months so far so it's kinda hard to keep track)

I believe Alexa sent him to the shadow realm before hadoken-ing Orton.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cena chasing and getting the WWE version of Flair's record would be money so ofc they're not going to chase it and have be set by Randy Orton

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Isn't Orton up to 16 now too? I haven't been watching but you'd think they'd make a bigger deal of that

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jackie D posted:

Isn't Orton up to 16 now too? I haven't been watching but you'd think they'd make a bigger deal of that

He's not in a title feud right now so they're ignoring it, I think.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Golden Bee posted:

Are they locking them in ahead of time like the Olympics do, so the cities can’t back out?

It's not so much about preventing the city from backing out (because the venues aren't municipality-owned, generally speaking), it's about locking down the dates. This is pretty common in the convention and event industry for events that occur in a different city each year, like the CrossFit Games or WrestleMania or the Super Bowl or certain trade shows, things like that. Events that will be held in 2023 / 2024 are soliciting bids from cities and venues now, for example, because it requires that much lead time in order to secure things like hotel room blocks and other ancillary benefits.

SoFi is Kroenke's palace to himself in Inglewood, right? And it's domed? I'm just flashing back to WrestleMania in San Francisco, when it didn't get dark until there was like an hour left in the event so we got the absurdity of an Undertaker entrance in nearly full-on broad daylight.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Unless I'm missing something, Randall Keith Orton only has fourteen world titles: 4 World Heavyweight championships, and 10 WWE Championships.

This places Randy second behind John Cena in terms of most WWE world titles won (Cena has 16, Triple H and Orton both have 14, Flair obviously has 16+ but most of them outside of WWE). But I got bored and looked up how long he was actually champion and here's the (WWE only) Top Rankings

Bruno Sammartino 4040 Days (2020 days per reign average)
Hulk Hogan 2185 Days (364 days per reign average)
Bob Backlund 2138 Days (1069 days per reign average)
Brock Lesnar 1449 Days (181 days per reign average)
John Cena - 1408 Days (88 days per reign average)
Triple H - 1227 Days (88 days per reign average)
Pedro Morales - 1,207 (1,207 days per reign average)
Randy Orton 815 Days (58 days per reign average)
AJ Styles 511 (256 days per reign average)
Seth Rollins 398 (99 days per reign average)
Roman Reigns 316+ Days (63 days per reign average)

He's the closest person I can find who is active who has a shot of joining the 1,000 Days as Champion Club, but his reigns are generally pretty dang short; at this rate he'd need to win the title at least three more times to break 1,000 days. The average RKO world title reign is only 0.34 Jinders long.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Shouldn't Punk be on there?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Wikipedia has a page about this, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Champions#Combined_reigns

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Cena will come back because triple H still has to bury him, no way Paul lets cena’s career end without showing the talent “no one is bigger than the fed”

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Cena's decades long reign of patheticness will be saved for me if he went out in Bray Wyatt's fever dream. I know I'm in the minority here, but I love Wyatt. He's the only guy I ever thought should beat Taker's streak.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Honestly one last Cena run is the one thing that might get me to watch WWE programming again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Shouldn't Punk be on there?

Because it's WWE only, no. Because he had that one 434 day reign, but the other reign is pretty short, I think it only gets recognized as 1 day.

If World Heavyweight got included, then he'd have to be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Because it's WWE only, no. Because he had that one 434 day reign, but the other reign is pretty short, I think it only gets recognized as 1 day.

If World Heavyweight got included, then he'd have to be.

But that would put him above Rollins and Roman on E&C's list? :confused:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

john cena will reappear as the fiend. there will be no mention made of bray wyatt ever again

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I didn't include Punk because while he's won five WWE world championships (I'm including WWE, WHC, and Universal here) the reigns are:

2008: 1st Money in the Bank cash-in, held the WHC for 69 days

2009: 2nd Monday in the Bank cash-in, held the WHC for 49 days
2009: Won the belt back from Jeff Hardy, held the belt for 42 days

2011: Won the belt from Cena after the "Pipebomb", held belt for 28 days if you count it continuously from MITB 2011 to Alberto del Rio cashing in at Summerslam and ignore the whole 'declared vacant, Rey wins tournament, Cena beats him the same night' thing

2011-2013: His big long 434 day reign.

That's five reigns for a total of 622 as a world champion in WWE, which would put him ahead of several of the people on the list, but CM Punk also hasn't wrestled in almost six years, so the idea of him winning the world title and holding the belt for more than a year seems even more unlikely than AJ Styles, who is like nine months older than Punk but is currently wrestling at least.

There are some other people ahead with 500+ days as champion, but all of them seem even less likely than Punk to hold the belt for a year plus in the future: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Steve Austin, and Batista.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 18, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Put the title on Ryan satin, gives punk a snowball’s of winning.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Prayers up to Andre and Rey who each had the belt for less than a day in their only reigns

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

the looooong CM Punk run is decried for so much of it being in the midcard, but those Bryan matches were great, and the Night of Champions one once he turned heel and headlined was good too. AJ Styles held the belt the last time for 371 days, and the reign was this:

- wins it off Jinder on a taped SmackDown because WWE pulled the plug on that whole India thing
- gets caught up in the endless Shane/KO feud
- nutshot feud with Nakamura
- umpteenth "I'll threaten your family" feud with Joe (though Joe did inspired work at least)
- nutshotted again and loses the title to DBry

IMO, the best match in that entire title run was the AJ/Joe blowoff in the big Australia house show that aired on the Network. Really!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I didn't include Punk because while he's won five WWE world championships (I'm including WWE, WHC, and Universal here) the reigns are:

2008: 1st Money in the Bank cash-in, held the WHC for 69 days

2009: 2nd Monday in the Bank cash-in, held the WHC for 49 days
2009: Won the belt back from Jeff Hardy, held the belt for 42 days

2011: Won the belt from Cena after the "Pipebomb", held belt for 28 days if you count it continuously from MITB 2011 to Alberto del Rio cashing in at Summerslam and ignore the whole 'declared vacant, Rey wins tournament, Cena beats him the same night' thing

2011-2013: His big long 434 day reign.

That's five reigns for a total of 622 as a world champion in WWE, which would put him ahead of several of the people on the list, but CM Punk also hasn't wrestled in almost six years, so the idea of him winning the world title and holding the belt for more than a year seems even more unlikely than AJ Styles, who is like nine months older than Punk but is currently wrestling at least.

There are some other people ahead with 500+ days as champion, but all of them seem even less likely than Punk to hold the belt for a year plus in the future: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Steve Austin, and Batista.

Including Bruno, Hogan, Backlund and Morales in the list muddies it for parsing if you're going for 'guys who could have long reigns and are currently active'.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

D.N. Nation posted:

the looooong CM Punk run is decried for so much of it being in the midcard, but those Bryan matches were great, and the Night of Champions one once he turned heel and headlined was good too. AJ Styles held the belt the last time for 371 days, and the reign was this:

- wins it off Jinder on a taped SmackDown because WWE pulled the plug on that whole India thing
- umpteenth "I'll threaten your family" feud with Joe (though Joe did inspired work at least)

IMO, the best match in that entire title run was the AJ/Joe blowoff in the big Australia house show that aired on the Network. Really!

don't forget that sandwiched in between the never ending nakamura feud and the never ending joe feud was a single match against rusev just so they could beat him and break up rusev day

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Including Bruno, Hogan, Backlund and Morales in the list muddies it for parsing if you're going for 'guys who could have long reigns and are currently active'.
It's a list of the all time group of people over 1,000 days as champion + people who could conceivably hit 1,000 days combined holding the belt.

If you were doing a list the elite group of basketball players who have scored over 30,000 points in the NBA, you'd include Kareem and Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan even though they're all long since retired. It would also be noteworthy to point out how Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant are active players who are pretty close to 30,000. You wouldn't include Shaq even though he's got more points scored than either of the other two guys. At least that was my thinking. You also wouldn't include Giannis even though he's really good, but only has about 10,000 points to date.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd include the retired guys in a separate list showing the target. I mean the NBA thing is a little difference because you'd only show the current record holder and that doesn't work for WWE because no-one's breaking Bruno's numbers, I understand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

RIP weed belt

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

D.N. Nation posted:

i think the best match in that run was the brock match that they moved the belt for, but i'm not gonna die on the hill of survivor series

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

RIP weed belt

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Procrastinator posted:

i think the best match in that run was the brock match that they moved the belt for, but i'm not gonna die on the hill of survivor series

it 100% was

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endless Mike posted:

RIP weed belt

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

when Dbry turned heel and worked that weird match with Brock where he was like, almost playing with Lesnar and losing on purpose...man I thought truly great days were to come

but I can barely remember like 10 things that have happened since then in wwe

edit: wait I remember when he showed the fake rowan to the real rowan and started corpsing, that was the last good segment

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There was that great promo where Bryan yelled at Vince for being a capitalist parasite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GrimGypsy posted:

edit: wait I remember when he showed the fake rowan to the real rowan and started corpsing, that was the last good segment

One of the best WWE segments ever