Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
just finished Search Party S2 and while I love it, I have to wonder if there is an end game in mind or if they're just making it up along the way

Alia Shawkat is a real talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

just finished Search Party S2 and while I love it, I have to wonder if there is an end game in mind or if they're just making it up along the way

Nah, current season is paying off a lot of material from Season 1, and it feels deliberate rather than the writers just having lucked into the plot working out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Man, Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany are SO GOOD in Wandavision.

Olsen especially surprised me- I'd never seen her in comedy before but she does the quirky sitcom wife thing like, perfectly.

Also the supporting cast is uniformly great too. (I mean, especially Kathryn Hahn, but also everyone else.)

Some say it's moving too slowly (probably the reason they released the first two episodes at once, to assure everyone "this is going somewhere"), but I'd happily watch all these people just do a retro sitcom pastiche with occasional weirdness for a whole year.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
One thing I didn't catch about WandaVision til I read a review was the fact that each episode advances the genre by a decade

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't it originally written for ten episodes, and after the ten episodes were written, they were told to condense it into nine episodes? I thought I had also heard that after the series was shot, they then edited some more down after the coronavirus outbreak started.

From what I've seen with the creators, they swear it was always structured this way. It's why I don't think a fan edit trying to put it back in order would work.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holy poo poo is episode 1 of Ted Lasso wholesome.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

isaboo posted:

Season 3 marks a major shift in tone and subject matter, and season 4 goes even harder. You can really tell that season 3 was made for HBO, in a good way

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Simone Magus posted:

Season 3 marks a major shift in tone and subject matter, and season 4 goes even harder. You can really tell that season 3 was made for HBO, in a good way

It wasn't, actually, only Season Four was.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

Man, somehow Disenchanted went from being a medieval Futurama to being animated Game of Thrones real fast.

Edit: like seasons 1-5 GoT, you know the standard disclaimer

I liked Disenchantment quite a bit more than the average watcher but had no idea a season dropped for like 2-3 days. Is Netflix kind of just abandoning it to die?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked Disenchantment quite a bit more than the average watcher but had no idea a season dropped for like 2-3 days. Is Netflix kind of just abandoning it to die?

There is a season 4 which I imagine will wrap things up, but leave room for more if it suddenly gets better ratings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was the top banner thing for me when I logged into netflix on Friday. I feel like we have this conversation every time a new season of a show drops.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

It's the algorithm. Either it thinks you'll find the show by yourself, or it thinks you don't want to know about the show.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

It wasn't, actually, only Season Four was.

Oh weird, it definitely felt like S3 was a major shift

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's the old "new shows attract more subscribers" idea.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm continuing to watch Your Honor and it's really basically Breaking Bad if Walter was even less competent and unluckier

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Started watching gangs of London. Two episodes down and I like it a lot but holy poo poo is it violent. I need a few days between episodes.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

I just got done with season 1 over the last couple of days. Looking forward to smashing out the next one this week.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahEmMXSMF1U

and now I desperately need to watch Ramy. Perhaps it will have the same effect on you, or perhaps not.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ramy is really good but also really infuriating. People who feel like they need to actually like the main character of whatever they're watching will hate it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Ramy is loving amazing

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm glad i finally got round to The Sopranos finding myself watching 2 or 3 episodes a day which is a lot for me but yeah fantastic tv.

Seems so unusual to have 13 episodes in a series but makes it so digestible

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That’s a pretty standard season order, isn’t it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

That’s a pretty standard season order, isn’t it?

Now it is, but 20 years ago a season was usually still 24+.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm glad i finally got round to The Sopranos finding myself watching 2 or 3 episodes a day which is a lot for me but yeah fantastic tv.

I'm only up to like episode 7 now but yeah it is really good.

Not sure why it took me so long to start it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

TheAardvark posted:

For me i was just too young when it was on channel 4 and its never been on a service i owned - my mum has sky which i can share and its on there so I'm just wolfing it down!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now it is, but 20 years ago a season was usually still 24+.

The standard with HBO/cable dramas has been 12-13 episodes since HBO started making TV in the 90's.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm more used to British TV which is generally 6 episodes of 25 minutes each

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Results of the TVIV poll will be revealed at 10PM EST Thursday 21st

Deadline has been extended one last time to 10PM Tuesday 19th Jan

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Minor nitpick, but people from Kansas City don't talk like Ted Lasso - that's like a full Alabama football coach accent. :colbert:

edit: maybe that's the point?

also, Nicholas Hoult and his massive cock is freaking hilarious in The Great on Hulu. RIP CGI bear and other animals.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheAardvark posted:

I'm just starting s4 of The Wire and I think it's taken me close to 12 years to get to this point. Once I get moving it's all good, but those first episodes of each season just stop me in my tracks due to all the new people, situations etc. Using Sepinwall's reviews are helping though, especially with 4x01 as it introduces the kids etc.

I'm only on about 1x07 of Sopranos too, despite starting it last century I believe, so you're moving faster than someone at least.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keyser_Soze posted:

Minor nitpick, but people from Kansas City don't talk like Ted Lasso - that's like a full Alabama football coach accent. :colbert:

I think it's because Jason Sudeikis actually is from Kansas and awkwardly forced that aspect into the show

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Keyser_Soze posted:

also, Nicholas Hoult and his massive cock is freaking hilarious in The Great on Hulu. RIP CGI bear and other animals.

That is no where near an Alabama accent.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm just starting s4 of The Wire and I think it's taken me close to 12 years to get to this point. Once I get moving it's all good, but those first episodes of each season just stop me in my tracks due to all the new people, situations etc. Using Sepinwall's reviews are helping though, especially with 4x01 as it introduces the kids etc.

You've got this far so it probably doesn't matter, but there are some good rewatch podcasts out there too. I think The Ringer did one recently.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Boo High Maintenance is not coming back for season 5 now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looten Plunder posted:

You've got this far so it probably doesn't matter, but there are some good rewatch podcasts out there too. I think The Ringer did one recently.

Yeah my friends are doing a rewatch along with one and they’re really enjoying it.

I keep myself entertained by imagining a Genesis era side scrolling beat em up reskinned with Wire characters in your typical ‘this is totally not representative of the show’ way of cash in games of the era.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So I just finished Search Party S3 and uh :stonk: :tviv:

This show is amazing

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah it is lol. Season 4 is nurts.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1351530179013742592

:stat::hf::wal:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

YAAAAAYYYYY *flailing pipecleaner arms*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I was actually looking for this a few months ago and disappointed it wasn't on there. Hell yeah