Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Lid posted:

Let's instead remember that Steven Soderbergh made a black and white silent cut of Raiders of the Lost Ark set to Trent Reznor music to show off just how powerful cinematography is in telling a story.

https://extension765.com/blogs/soderblog/raiders

What's the backstory behind this? Why was Soderbergh trying to prove a point to Trent Reznor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Cacator posted:

What's the backstory behind this? Why was Soderbergh trying to prove a point to Trent Reznor?

He just wanted to do it, this was from when he was “retired”. Because he can’t actually sit still, he spent those years doing weird things like this and became a poster for a couple of years before deciding he wanted to keep making movies instead and went back in with Logan Lucky.

I don’t recall him trying to make any point to Reznor with it, it was simply a score he really liked that he thought would be incongruous enough with the original (and was roughly the same length as the Raiders score) to allow people to concentrate on the staging, cinematography, and editing since the iconic Williams score has a tendency to sweep you up into what’s happening and not how it’s made.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm still watching through that Raiders thing and his idea of making people focus on the cinematography of the movie definitely works. Freakin' look at this poo poo:

Depending on what kinda screen you're looking at this on it will look different, but on mine the white parts are hella bright. On the screen I'm posting this on it's much dimmer.

I didn't notice until now how they do really good stuff with shadows in the movie. When Indie flips the chalk board towards the beginning and during the fight right after the screenshot I just posted. Good stuff.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 17, 2021

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Before the premier of Run Hide Fight, Daily Wire had a preview show where they told everyone about how their values were under attack and the only way to save good Christian values was to continue to show movies about killing a bunch of people. But the important thing is the aesthetic looks weirdly familiar....

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
drat mom’s basement has really had a glow up

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is that a fuckin wooden cigar Indian? :wtc:

Great placement of the popcorn machine to make Shapiro look like even more of a wooden dummy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

more performative masculinity than a Jordan Peterson podcast

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/JAMALIGLE/status/1350839871112441861?s=19

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'll take "Washed up talentless chuds" for $1000

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao were James woods, Rob Schneider, and Robert Davi busy

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

lol the last conservative film studio have a huge sexual assault scandal and is still putting out trash including that school shooting movie higher up the page. Hopefully this is just a bunch of rich fuckers stealing from each other then taking each other to court after one terrible movie is released after 5 years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Julius CSAR posted:

produced by “Chicken Soup For The Soul” :confused:

This is like the "Die Hard sequels script" thing, FNAF just doesn't make sense unless it's has some bizarre tie-in to evangelical Christianity.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alan Smithee posted:

Lmao were James woods, Rob Schneider, and Robert Davi busy

Honestly shocked William Friedkin isn't directing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

8one6 posted:

I'll take "Washed up talentless chuds" for $1000

Washed up would be an upgrade for Sabato. He's more like a never was. He was clearly being pushed in the 90s, but his biggest role was the lead of a TV movie based on a Frederick Forsyth novel (it's called 'Codename: Wolverine' if you're a masochist). He tried to play the 'i don't get work because i'm conservative' card, but no one knew who the gently caress he was because he's Antonio Sabato and it isn't 1996

Baron von Eevl posted:

Honestly shocked William Friedkin isn't directing.

Friedkin's at least really talented so he'd stick out too much, I guess.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What's the deal with Friedkin? I know he believes in God, but is he in chud territory?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's the deal with Friedkin? I know he believes in God, but is he in chud territory?

That and a full-on KKK apologist.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

wizardofloneliness posted:

That and a full-on KKK apologist.

Holy poo poo I had no idea.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah it's pretty bad. He's on Joe Dante's podcast talking about how maligned Trump is and how Bob Woodward is actually a traitor and a coward (cause he once said something about Friedkin partying with Belushi).

Also, and this isn't really the same thing at all, but he's very derisive about Jackson Pollock and while I'm not a huge fan myself I get really sick of the argument that he just dripped paint on a canvas and how that's not art it's bullshit. Motherfucker if you could do it yourself why the gently caress didn't you?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah it's pretty bad. He's on Joe Dante's podcast talking about how maligned Trump is and how Bob Woodward is actually a traitor and a coward (cause he once said something about Friedkin partying with Belushi).

Wait, is Joe Dante also a chud? I’ve listened to his movie podcast before but it never clicked with me because he and the other host get real “old man yells at cloud” at times.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also, and this isn't really the same thing at all, but he's very derisive about Jackson Pollock and while I'm not a huge fan myself I get really sick of the argument that he just dripped paint on a canvas and how that's not art it's bullshit. Motherfucker if you could do it yourself why the gently caress didn't you?

Oh man, I hate those kinds of people and their criticisms of "modern art" (half the time it's not even modern). It's a surefire way to know that they're completely fine with not knowing what the gently caress they're talking about and that they will get very mad if you point that out. I guess it fits in with being a chud pretty well actually.

Side note: I'm also not a particular fan of Pollock but seeing his stuff in person is pretty cool and totally different from looking at it on your computer screen.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
lol in case anyone was wondering, the Ben Shapiro movie ends with gun girl spotting the villain sauntering away from the crime scene and, instead of alerting anyone, she spends like ten minutes stealing a sniper rifle from the cops and hobbling over to where the guy is (she's got a leg injury).

The part where she shoots him is shockingly badly edited, and then she gives a cringey monologue about how she likes to inflict suffering. Cue the Vietnam War protest song over the credits.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I wonder what era of Genesis Shapiro prefers?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

lol in case anyone was wondering, the Ben Shapiro movie ends with gun girl spotting the villain sauntering away from the crime scene and, instead of alerting anyone, she spends like ten minutes stealing a sniper rifle from the cops and hobbling over to where the guy is (she's got a leg injury).

The part where she shoots him is shockingly badly edited, and then she gives a cringey monologue about how she likes to inflict suffering. Cue the Vietnam War protest song over the credits.

This Book of Henry reboot is weird.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

gun poop girl is in the movie?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

According to this twitter thread they kill a deer on camera
https://twitter.com/DG_Pappas/status/1350079179623198721

https://twitter.com/DG_Pappas/status/1350080503181881346

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Baron von Eevl posted:

Man is that a disappointment. To Live and Die in L.A. is a masterpiece of a movie and I'm surprised it isn't talked about in the leagues of Dog Day Afternoon, Heat, and The Departed. He's one of those guys like Paul Schrader or Sidney Lumet who just stay in the game for decades quietly putting out interesting stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Friedkin being a Trump guy is the most obvious thing in the world and it's shocking that people still don't understand the appeal of Trump. Like if you believe that it was "just" racism and sexism, you would have to explain how you ended up with Joe Biden, who is blatantly a racist and a sexit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Friedkin's a genius but he's always had a conservative streak, and always been a provocateur on top of that. The hero of The French Connection is a brutal, racist cop who the film nonetheless tries to make as likeable as possible. To Live and Die in L.A. opens with a ridiculous Islamic terrorist caricature. Rampage is a full on pro-death penalty opinion piece. If you really wanna go all in, check out Rules of Engagement which is straight up jingoistic war crime apologia. I'm not even gonna get started on Cruising.

I've been doing a Friedkin marathon if you can't tell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pretty much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's not the Uwe Boll Rampage or the giant gorilla Rampage, right?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I tried to watch Sorcerer the other day and his unconditional approval of israel shines through very brightly (which might be more related to the time, I was definitely too young to understand back then).

Good thing Wages of Fear still exists.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

check out Rules of Engagement which is straight up jingoistic war crime apologia

one-time Presidential candidate Jim Webb (of the Democrats!) backed this movie. It's loving insane. A black mark on Jackson and Jones' careers, absolutely. It's utterly loving reprehensible.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, is Joe Dante also a chud? I’ve listened to his movie podcast before but it never clicked with me because he and the other host get real “old man yells at cloud” at times.

I don't think Dante's a chud, he did a screening of Gremlins 2 with Chapo Trap House, and I from what I heard he and Olson made fun of Trump, which got Friedkin to defend him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

one-time Presidential candidate Jim Webb (of the Democrats!) backed this movie. It's loving insane. A black mark on Jackson and Jones' careers, absolutely. It's utterly loving reprehensible.

Going into it I remembered the controversy and the quote from the American-Arab Anti Discrimination Committee describing it as "probably the most racist film ever made against Arabs by Hollywood," and I gotta say, it still managed to find ways to surprise me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's not the Uwe Boll Rampage or the giant gorilla Rampage, right?

different Rampage. serial killer movie with Michael Biehn. good, not great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Out of curiosity I looked into Jones' politics because he always plays such a hardass military type that I assumed he was a right-winger. Apparently he was college roommates with and a supporter of Al Gore, then went on to become a pro-fracking spokesperson. Also he's an avid polo player.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RevKrule posted:

I tried to watch Sorcerer the other day and his unconditional approval of israel shines through very brightly (which might be more related to the time, I was definitely too young to understand back then).

Good thing Wages of Fear still exists.

Friedkin does make the Palestinian guy a complete psycho but man Sorcerer is a great movie. From a lefty perspective, it does feature one of my favorite unconventional labor organizing moments on film.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No, they were ripping Trump and that's when Friedkin had to jump in and defend the honor of waifu trump

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Taintrunner posted:

And importantly, you have to understand that this was considered like, nuanced, under Clintonian politics. The US is a very right wing country.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDLzgBdvUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Was gonna post this. Webb really enjoyed killing that guy.