Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Uwais was incredible as always, and I am getting a bit sad that I have gotten pretty much through all his movies bar that Netflix show and things also starring Mark Wahlberg.

Mile 22. I'm still not sure how I feel about that one. As an action movie, though, it's okay. Peter Berg knows how to shoot gunplay, but I felt that the stuff with Iko was kind of poorly shot and edited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

Mile 22. I'm still not sure how I feel about that one. As an action movie, though, it's okay. Peter Berg knows how to shoot gunplay, but I felt that the stuff with Iko was kind of poorly shot and edited.

It was. I wrote a review for it and I concluded that, for most of the action scenes, the shaky cam stuff works. It's cutting to lots of different perspectives and overwhelming the audience because we aren't one of the team, we are simply bystanders observing them. Shootouts can be really cool shot like this. Uwais' stuff was a real loss though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

The TV show is actually really good. It ends with a bit of a whimper, but it contains some absolutely dope fights. The one at the docks (docks? I think?) was especially loving cool

I will check it out then. It looked a bit cheap in the trailers I saw, but if the action is good I couldn't care less about production value or dodgy CGI :v:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Narzack posted:

It was too "agro" for me and yeah Iko was way too underused. But the part where Walberg tells a guy "there comes a time in every man's life where he must raise the black flag and start slitting throats" just seemed way too off a grunt style shirt (mainly because they literally sell a shirt that says that)

I like Berg and he can shoot action well but he needs to get off the Mark Wahlberg train and make some new stuff.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watched a few action flicks recently:

Nemesis (1992) - 2/5. Honestly unimpressed, I heard good things about this and I found it a pretty trite example of goons running around the jungle with guns and shooting each other. Somehow they made like 4 more of these?

Highlander (1986) - 4/5. Never saw this until now, can't believe I missed out. Utterly fantastic and a ton of fun, great heart, incredible shots and lovely soundtrack. Pumped my fist and shouted at the final "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!" which was just fantastic.

Virtuosity (1995) - 5/5. I rewatch this regularly, it's Russell Crowe stealing the show as cyberpunk Joker and Denzel Washington doing his Denzel thing. Beautifully dirty and gnarly look at the future and how much it's going to suck. Death TV is an inspired bit, just hilarious.

Blown Away (1994) - 3.5/5. More of a thriller than an action movie, but still a perfectly enjoyable faceoff between Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones' attempt at an Irish accent. Very explosive final climax which was quite a bit of fun, definitely a movie that ends a lot better than it starts, which is rare to see.

Outside the Wire (2021) - 1.5/5. I've got a question. Why the gently caress is every Netflix Original action movie equally poo poo for the same lovely loving reasons? Cheap CGI, poorly shot action, utterly dry and forgettable plot. I mean hey, it's nice to see Anthony Mackie getting work, but still, christ. This was a disaster. No idea why I ever bothered to watch this crap.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

It was too "agro" for me and yeah Iko was way too underused. But the part where Walberg tells a guy "there comes a time in every man's life where he must raise the black flag and start slitting throats" just seemed way too off a grunt style shirt (mainly because they literally sell a shirt that says that)

I like Berg and he can shoot action well but he needs to get off the Mark Wahlberg train and make some new stuff.

I thought the ending was genuinely surprising and good, though, and undercut that 'grunt style' bullshit. their work has horrible consequences for real people. The enemy plot wasn't a conspiracy based on some vague idea of political necessity, it was just someone seeking restitution for a personal wrong. And Wahlberg's character couldn't anticipate it, because he can only see things through the bullshit geo-political lens, blended with grunt style t-shirt slogans. He's completely disconnected from real people or human consequences. The way he brushes off the deaths of his team members is both an illustration of how badass he is, but also how uncoupled he is from his humanity. It seemed like a much more developed version of the same story Berg played with in The Kingdom and Lone Survivor. It's one of those rare films where the twist actually casts the whole film in a different light.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Watched a few action flicks recently:

Nemesis (1992) - 2/5. Honestly unimpressed, I heard good things about this and I found it a pretty trite example of goons running around the jungle with guns and shooting each other. Somehow they made like 4 more of these?

The sequels are barely related to the first one. They're barely related to each other. The third one is just leftover footage from the second one. The fourth one is set decades after the other two. The fifth one probably doesn't actually exist. They're actually really interesting, if not good. Pyun, as a director, is kind of inept, but he's got a fuckload of ideas and tries to jam them all into every film he makes, regardless of whether he can afford it or pull it off.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Get on my level if you haven't already watched 4 2021 action movies by January 17. I see I'm on the same level with Taintrunner about Outside the Wire. Born a Champion isn't exactly an action movie but where else can I put "MMA drama"?

Redemption Day (2021) - 1/5
Big goose egg for this one. An "action thriller" with no action and no thrills. Lifeless script, complete with a "twist ending" that is among the funniest I've seen in a while. Dourdan does not have the charisma to carry the movie.

All the gunfire and blood and explosions are computer-generated and they look awful. Give it a miss.

Born a Champion (2021) - 2.5/5
Sean Patrick Flanery co-wrote and stars in Born a Champion as a love letter to Brazilian jiu jitsu, and in a lot of ways it works really well. I've been a fan of MMA for almost 20 years and there are so many accurate touches that it's very clear that he's been in that world.

Flanery's performance is great, as are Bowden's and Compte's. There's a great heart here, the jiu jitsu portions are well-done, and the movie definitely did not have a large budget but it's never that apparent on screen.

The problem I had was that there's a point where the movie goes completely off the rails and the final act is so baffling in its badness that I was blindsided by how the first 85 minutes and the last 25 minutes were the same movie. The story in the one big scene between Dennis Quaid and Flanery is so, so bad.

It doesn't completely spoil the movie, but it left me with a bad taste. If you like MMA or BJJ you will still enjoy watching this, but it doesn't get the same unqualified recommendation that I'd give other recent MMA movies like Cagefighter and Embattled.

Outside the Wire (2021) - 1.5/5, Netflix
While Mackie and Idris are both good, outside of about 15 minutes of solid action spread across the movie's 115 minute runtime there is very little to praise here. The plot and script are so, so bad. Almost nothing happens for 45 minutes and then when things do pick up it's one dumb development after the next.

Wouldn't mind seeing Anthony Mackie in a normal role where he gets to do gun stunts like these but in the service of robbing a bank or something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Virtuosity (1995) - 5/5. I rewatch this regularly, it's Russell Crowe stealing the show as cyberpunk Joker and Denzel Washington doing his Denzel thing. Beautifully dirty and gnarly look at the future and how much it's going to suck. Death TV is an inspired bit, just hilarious.

I watched this recently too, and the bolded part is kind of depressing. It's like the opposite of future visions in movies like Predator 2 where you can see how they got the idea making this when they did. Virtuosity could have been made today.

N-edit: Well not today because of Corona, but you know what I mean.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Snowman_McK posted:

The sequels are barely related to the first one. They're barely related to each other. The third one is just leftover footage from the second one. The fourth one is set decades after the other two. The fifth one probably doesn't actually exist. They're actually really interesting, if not good. Pyun, as a director, is kind of inept, but he's got a fuckload of ideas and tries to jam them all into every film he makes, regardless of whether he can afford it or pull it off.

I've watched the fifth one. It's as related to the others as much as the others are related to each other. You know how the fourth has three filming locations? An apartment, the alley behind it and the garage at the end of the alley? The fifth is like that except it's a bar, the alley behind it and a nearby field. You can also feel the absence of Pyun.

duz fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 18, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

duz posted:

I've watched the fifth one. It's as related to the others as much as the others are related to each other. You know how the fourth has three filming locations? An apartment, the alley behind it and the garage at the end of the alley? The fifth is like that except it's a bar, the alley behind it and a nearby field. You can also feel the absence of Pyun.

Honestly, I didn't notice that about the fourth. I thought it used its location pretty well. Then again, I was putting together a video essay on Pyun at the time so I was more looking for stuff to interpret.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm still trying to figure out why the director of Highlander thought it was a good idea to cast Lambert after seeing a picture of him as Tarzan.

He couldn't speak english and he is so extremely near-sighted that he pretty much can't see without his glasses.

Yet, you push on and have him be the lead in your sword fighting movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MrBling posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why the director of Highlander thought it was a good idea to cast Lambert after seeing a picture of him as Tarzan.

He couldn't speak english and he is so extremely near-sighted that he pretty much can't see without his glasses.

Yet, you push on and have him be the lead in your sword fighting movie.

He mistook Lambert's effort to focus his sight on him as an intensive stare, easy mistake.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've been to the castle used in Highlander, Eilean Donan castle. It is TINY and sat on the edge of a sea loch.

I haven't watched the film in forever but when we rolled up to the place my brain went "hold on..." at which point I was informed of where I'd last seen it. That's my Highlander story, thank you for listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvH1hVpSvjE

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

I thought the ending was genuinely surprising and good, though, and undercut that 'grunt style' bullshit. their work has horrible consequences for real people. The enemy plot wasn't a conspiracy based on some vague idea of political necessity, it was just someone seeking restitution for a personal wrong. And Wahlberg's character couldn't anticipate it, because he can only see things through the bullshit geo-political lens, blended with grunt style t-shirt slogans. He's completely disconnected from real people or human consequences. The way he brushes off the deaths of his team members is both an illustration of how badass he is, but also how uncoupled he is from his humanity. It seemed like a much more developed version of the same story Berg played with in The Kingdom and Lone Survivor. It's one of those rare films where the twist actually casts the whole film in a different light.

Hmm, this is a decent take, kinda makes me rethink the ending, which really turned me off at the time.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Also whoever mentioned Action Boyz at some point in the thread, thank you

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

Hmm, this is a decent take, kinda makes me rethink the ending, which really turned me off at the time.

It's reinforced by Jimmy's monologue. He sees it as having lost a round of a game, a new puzzle to solve. He doesn't even realise what actually happened. He can't. I get why you had the reaction you did and fair enough, because Jimmy is, for most of the film, the 'Do anything to get the job done' type and the film doesn't question that. He's completely loving wrong, though. That's the twist: that the hardass, hyper competent, whatever it takes guy was completely and unambiguously wrong

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm watching Speed for the first time, and holy lmao why is there hints of the Metal Gear theme in the opening credits. I guess it was an influence or something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Taintrunner posted:

I recently watched Nemesis 2 and 3 and they're nuts. Nemesis 2 basically discards being a high octane Blade Runner ripoff in favour of being a Terminator ripoff with a Star Wars narrative. Olivier Gruner has been replaced by a female bodybuilder. Half the movie is her running around being a badass in East Africa.

Nemesis 3 is just bad.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The Art of Action is back, and Scott Adkins new beef over the last couple of episodes is filmmakers who shoot an actor doing their own stunts but don't show their face so you can't tell if they used a stunt double. Show the face, mate.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I'm watching Speed for the first time, and holy lmao why is there hints of the Metal Gear theme in the opening credits. I guess it was an influence or something.

Same composer dude

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

Same composer dude

Holy poo poo lol well that explains a lot

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Stairmaster posted:

Same composer dude

No it isn’t? The MGS1 score was by an in-house Konami guy, and they brought in Harry Gregson-Williams for the second one. Mark Mancina did Speed

morestuff fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 21, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Didn't the MGS1 theme turn out to be have been ripped off wholesale from a Russian composer? I'm sure there was a video of Kojima or some Konami bigwig having the original played to him at a show or something, and his face becoming increasingly :geno: as he realised just how similar they were.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Payndz posted:

Didn't the MGS1 theme turn out to be have been ripped off wholesale from a Russian composer? I'm sure there was a video of Kojima or some Konami bigwig having the original played to him at a show or something, and his face becoming increasingly :geno: as he realised just how similar they were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STyhoKG23b4

He takes them In the woods alongside all the bears, duh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ynohtna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STyhoKG23b4

He takes them In the woods alongside all the bears, duh.

Pretty good vid here. Thanks for posting!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Polygon - Breaking down video game fight scenes with a real martial artist (Scott Adkins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPHUAi5kyw

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Boco_T posted:

Polygon - Breaking down video game fight scenes with a real martial artist (Scott Adkins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPHUAi5kyw

This is my hole! It's made for mEeeeeEEeeeeeeee

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJCV9HZ8wFE

Holy poo poo this is a huge get for Scott, Warrior is a loving incredible show

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I'm not sure it fits here but I'm always on a "Someone done wrong gets revenge on people kick" and I saw two movies this week.

Killbird: A Conspiracy theorist holds a woman hostage. 9/11 was staged...I'm glad it was only 80ish minutes.

Ravage: This should probably go under horror, but it is worth watching for the end scene and story about torturing a king. It will stick out in my memory like Christopher Walken shoving a watch up his butt in Pulp Fiction.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Snowman_McK posted:

The TV show is actually really good. It ends with a bit of a whimper, but it contains some absolutely dope fights. The one at the docks (docks? I think?) was especially loving cool

If you guys are talking about the show Wu Assassin's with Iko; yea that show totally kicks rear end. and season 2 should be coming out mid this year

https://twitter.com/WirthwhileTV/status/1172185442847870979

I like Warrior a bit more, but I love Iko so it gets high marks from me eitherway

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hirez posted:

If you guys are talking about the show Wu Assassin's with Iko; yea that show totally kicks rear end. and season 2 should be coming out mid this year

https://twitter.com/WirthwhileTV/status/1172185442847870979

I like Warrior a bit more, but I love Iko so it gets high marks from me eitherway

Warrior's got a much bigger budget and an actual plot, while Wu Assassins is just stuff written in the margins of high school exercise books mashed into rejected Fast and the Furious ideas. It's loving dope, but Warrior's not that far short of being proper prestige television, while Wu Assassins is really well executed trash.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I think Wu was made just so they could do some awesome fight scenes and Im all for it.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

jase1 posted:

I think Wu was made just so they could do some awesome fight scenes and Im all for it.
Wu Assassins is my favorite cooking show

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the age of absolute dogshit DTV "action" schlock is coming to an end

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Started watching Warrior after seeing it mentioned here and I definitely would recommend it. It's like one third period piece, one third modern gangster story, and one third brutal martial arts ala The Raid. I'm three episodes in and I can't say I'm fully hooked by the story just yet but there's more than enough action to keep me interested. And there's two seasons so I have no problem giving the show a little bit of time to set the stage and build the foundations of the plot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/garflyf/status/1352578032960036867

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
poo poo that's his one weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Am I crazy for thinking that Police Story 2 is better than the first one? I bought this Jackie Chan set mainly for Police Story, I'd never seen the sequel but I think it actually hangs together better as a complete movie, even if nothing will ever top the mall brawl.