Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

For me, the sweet spot is an ultrawide monitor and my homemade TrackIR (PS3 camera, Opentrack, and some IR LEDs mounted on the mic boom of a broken set of David Clarks). Once set up properly it's very immersive.

Although I think VR would be badass if there were gliders in MSFS2020, for any aircraft more advanced I'm too attached to fiddling with the knobs on my midi controller, or thumbing through an old Flight Supplement, etc. Plus my wife already scares the poo poo out of me when she walks in while I got the headphones on, I couldn't imagine how awkward it would be if I got a VR rig attached to my face.

Snipe tax. Here's my extremely unhelpful copilot:

Rot fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Blue On Blue posted:

That was my biggest problem with elite was the multitude of buttons to push and not being able to see where my hand was in relation to the physical hotas

Your HANDS should be ON the THROTTLE AND the STICK.

(This is not a serious reply)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Your HANDS should be ON the THROTTLE AND the STICK.

(This is not a serious reply)

how does one eat cheetos and drink code red, while keeping their hands on the stick?

riddle me that mister answers!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The worst part of VR is how easy it is to knock over your cocktail or be unable to easily drink it without a straw like a weirdo.

How am I supposed to put this Airbus down in a crosswind without adequate lubrication?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The worst part of VR is how easy it is to knock over your cocktail or be unable to easily drink it without a straw like a weirdo.

How am I supposed to put this Airbus down in a crosswind without adequate lubrication?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Blue On Blue posted:

how does one eat cheetos and drink code red, while keeping their hands on the stick?

riddle me that mister answers!

gently caress. I'm going back to triples.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Fine, but can Razer or Logitech make a $300 version with LEDs I can’t even see?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Blue On Blue posted:

As much as I love vr and flight sims. I think it still needs a way to “see” your real hotas in the virtual world

That was my biggest problem with elite was the multitude of buttons to push and not being able to see where my hand was in relation to the physical hotas

I’m sure with enough time on it you’d have a very good muscle memory though

Eventually you should get used to it enough that you don't have to look at your joystick to hit a button. I have a Thrustmaster T16000 hotas and all the buttons are in an obvious places, or have a unique shape or feeling that it's clear what I'm hitting. That's how it is with sim racing in VR. I have a mental image of what my buttons look like and I just feel for them when racing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

As much as I know I would enjoy VR, I still need to figure out how to keep it from making me completely physically ill after just 5 minutes of use.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kilonum posted:

As much as I know I would enjoy VR, I still need to figure out how to keep it from making me completely physically ill after just 5 minutes of use.

Supposedly if you can see your nose in your peripheral vision it helps.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Kilonum posted:

This might not work for you, but I personally struggled initially with it, and took the ”just take it” approach. I just flew crazy poo poo, got nauseous, almost threw up, and it just got better.

Nowadays I only get nauseous as F-14 RIO if my pilot is doing something completely crazy, or like Muhlump tries to purposefully make me puke. I just close my eyes and sit back on my seat and it passes.

Edit: I’m not saying this is a great idea.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 18, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just be forewarned that this could have the opposite effect. There were people who had the Rift DK1 who tried to push through and just ended up getting sick. Then the Rift DK2 came out and they tried that. The DK2 had the same kind of foam for the face interface that the DK1 did and the smell of the DK2 immediately made some people sick without even putting it on because their brain had connected that smell with VR sickness. Don't do anything that makes your brain associate VR with being nauseous.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Don't push through. Do not even go on until you feel the effects of motion sickness. The motion sickness is a delayed reaction. By the point you feel it, your body has already decided that there's an emergency. If you do that you're conditioning yourself to become sick.

You have to start small. If you feel I'll after five minutes, spend three minutes in VR. And perhaps just spend these three minutes browsing through the store or doing nothing in particular, the point is to get your body used to it.

Then take the headset off, wait a few minutes to see if the sickness develops. If it stays away, increase your time in VR. If it comes, go back to the last level that didn't cause sickness and repeat that one a couple of times.

Im not going to justify this training scheme with academic sources and what not because that'd be a frustrating exercise but this is what the people at the sensorimotor lab who worked next door came up with to get their study participants reliably trained.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, take the headset off at the first signs of unease or you'll just make things worse. Ginger chews work great to combat the nausea as well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose FPV drone flying hardened me, because you're looking at a view, whose movements are entirely unrelated to your inner ear. The first few times, I started almost keeling over because my brain couldn't decide what cue to take for balance (eyes or ears), then for a while I was moving my head like Stevie Wonder, to eventually stand still and look like a normal person (as normal as you can look with FPV goggles on your face).

--edit:
How long until someone converts Night City from Cyberpunk 2077?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 18, 2021

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

kojei posted:

I'm starting to think there's something poo poo about the VR implementation for anyone not using WMR because it seems like 100% of people bitching about VR performance are steamvr/oculus users. Meanwhile I'm over here on WMR with pretty good performance having a blast.
I have a Vive Pro and I have great performance on a 2080, even have a bunch of settings on high/ultra (I need my clouds man...I need 'em!). I think a lot of it comes down to tweaking the settings and the magical voodoo of pc hardware, maybe I just got very lucky. Only areas that might cause some stutters would be big cities at low altitudes, like NY or LA.

Currently having a blast exploring tiny airstrips in New Guinea in the TBM! The weather there makes it a really fun challenge to even find the drat things, let alone land on them.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I just finished a flight in VR for the first time and I couldn't stop saying "holy poo poo" for the first 5 minutes. Why didn't anyone ever tell me the cockpit of a 152 is so friggin small? I thought it would be about the size of a car inside but it is closer to the width of like 2/3rds a car.

It looked amazing even at the 80% render scale and medium settings, but then Steam VR crashed on my downwind leg and when I reset everything I was getting like 8 or 9 FPS. It takes like 5 flippin minutes to exit everything and get back in again so even though it felt really good I have a feeling I'll get too drunk to fly just drinking during the loading screens. I also could not figure out how to navigate the menus using the POV hats and buttons so I guess I have to bring a keyboard and mouse in there somehow. Elite Dangerous you can get away with never having to touch a KB/M as long as you have bookmarks for the systems you wanted to go to.

Folks with a T.16000 HOTAS, I've got rudder bound to the L/R paddle on the throttle, but even at 70% sensitivity I feel like if I just barely move it I get like FULL RUDDER. There's a teensy amount of movement I can use to get a little bit of rudder but then it feel like it just goes all out. Anyone want to share their Sensitivity curve numbers so I'm not zig-zagging down the runway all the time?

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 18, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

CapnBry posted:

I just finished a flight in VR for the first time and I couldn't stop saying "holy poo poo" for the first 5 minutes. Why didn't anyone ever tell me the cockpit of a 152 is so friggin small? I thought it would be about the size of a car inside but it is closer to the width of like 2/3rds a car.

It kind of is the size of a car, just...old cars. Ever been in a 60s-ish VW Beetle? Those fuckers are narrow, and it's exactly what the inside of a Cessna reminds me of. Which I guess makes sense - the Cessna 150 was made in '57, and the 152 in '77.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 18, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CapnBry posted:

Oh yeah, I can stick my hand out both windows at the same time. The seats are pushed right up against one another and so are your hips if you're flying dual. Great if you're on a date, not so great if you're training and it's 90 degrees and your instructor is a sweaty 200-pound guy.

Part of it is just that a narrower plane means less frontal area and thus better performance, but the old car comparison is also accurate. The 152 is basically just a 150 with some refinements and as noted the 150 was designed in the 1950s. People were just smaller (and lighter) back then, and I think expected fewer creature comforts too.

Even the 172 is like...the width of a modern Miata, maybe. It has cushier seats but there's still only about 6 inches between them.

CapnBry posted:

Folks with a T.16000 HOTAS, I've got rudder bound to the L/R paddle on the throttle, but even at 70% sensitivity I feel like if I just barely move it I get like FULL RUDDER. There's a teensy amount of movement I can use to get a little bit of rudder but then it feel like it just goes all out. Anyone want to share their Sensitivity curve numbers so I'm not zig-zagging down the runway all the time?

I think the rudder axis in general is still sort of glitched out. Try it with maximum curvature and see if that works. In most flying in this type of plane you will use very small amounts of rudder; the only time you'll really stomp on it is with a severe crosswind or recovering from a spin. So it's not all that important to have fine control out near the ends of the travel.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 18, 2021

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I still haven't managed to induce a spin in FS2020.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have! But it was after messing with active pause and the autopilot, so I don't know if that counts.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Looks like AOPA is using FS2020 to create their accident investigation videos now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rryvSQhK7k

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CapnBry posted:

There are two ways to bind the rudder, one is a singular rudder axis, the other is two separate axes, one for left and one for right. If you bind a left and right rudder axis (separate) it's currently broken and just goes full rudder like it's a button. I'm pretty sure the paddle for the T16000 is a single axis, so try setting just the rudder axis, and that one is full analog.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Is there any date for when they are adding helicopters to msfs2020 ?
Those in VR would be amazing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Micr0chiP posted:

Those in VR would be amazing.

I really hope they’re re-writing the helicopter code. The FSX flight model code was hilariously obsolete when it came out, let alone now.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Micr0chiP posted:

The current development status is "planned for 2022"

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Squiggle posted:

It kind of is the size of a car, just...old cars. Ever been in a 60s-ish VW Beetle? Those fuckers are narrow, and it's exactly what the inside of a Cessna reminds me of. Which I guess makes sense - the Cessna 150 was made in '57, and the 152 in '77.
That's a good point. I was just shocked because I've played Flight Simulator since FS1 and have looked around the cockpit plenty in FSX but I was completely caught off guard at how small it was inside when I put the VR headset on for the first time. It is amazing how something I've looked at for hundreds and hundreds of hours on a monitor held such a surprise. I was nearly as surprised as I would be if I walked out the back door of my house and found that the trees at the end of my property were actually a matte painting.

Sagebrush posted:

I think the rudder axis in general is still sort of glitched out. Try it with maximum curvature and see if that works. In most flying in this type of plane you will use very small amounts of rudder; the only time you'll really stomp on it is with a severe crosswind or recovering from a spin. So it's not all that important to have fine control out near the ends of the travel.
This sort of helped. I jacked my sensitivity down to -80% and added a 5% extreme deadzone. It felt pretty good at 0% sensitivity and 40% extreme deadzone, but then I had a hard time turning around on runways (ducks angry simmers throwing their throttle quadrants at me). Maybe I should get pedals :homebrew:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Zero One posted:

Looks like AOPA is using FS2020 to create their accident investigation videos now.

These videos are so well done.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Zero One posted:

Jesus. That poor bastard even had a parachute for his airplane and he still got himself killed. :eng99:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Bedurndurn posted:

Jesus. That poor bastard even had a parachute for his airplane and he still got himself killed. :eng99:

Yeah but not pulling the pin is what got him killed (potentially). For all the flying I did in the northeast in single-engine, non FIKI aircraft, being a weather nerd, meticulous about forecasting probably saved my butt at least once. I would fly and train in some pretty think IMC but ice and storms were just a no-go. ATC is there to help you. Declare an emergency and get down safely, even if it's on a road or in a field.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

i am kiss u now posted:

ATC is there to help you. Declare an emergency and get down safely, even if it's on a road or in a field.

I’ve raged about this in the aviation thread previously, but I’ll rephrase briefly: If you’re ever in a real airplane, even as a passenger, and even THINK that you might be in any kind of trouble, declare an emergency. I have practically unlimited resources to help you, but they’re useless if you don’t tell me what’s going on.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
That straight autopilot course followed by wobbling all over is basically my flying style.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

I’ve raged about this in the aviation thread previously, but I’ll rephrase briefly: If you’re ever in a real airplane, even as a passenger, and even THINK that you might be in any kind of trouble, declare an emergency.

*A320 encounters some mountain waves*
*Passengers beating down the cockpit door to declare an emergency*

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sagebrush posted:

It happens, just not for the reason they're expecting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

My work here is done.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I need the joke explained because I'm just blanking at my phone reading the last posts

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MrYenko posted:

I’ve raged about this in the aviation thread previously, but I’ll rephrase briefly: If you’re ever in a real airplane, even as a passenger, and even THINK that you might be in any kind of trouble, declare an emergency. I have practically unlimited resources to help you, but they’re useless if you don’t tell me what’s going on.

Yeah and a common thread through a ton of the accident breakdowns is pride/being overwhelmed so they are slow or reluctant to declare an emergency and then a complete lack of instrument flying ability either due to lack of training or simply it having been so long since they're training.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
This is getting off topic of flight simulation a bit but I think more and more people are getting killed because of over-automation and reliance on technology and the absolute visual puke that is being shoved onto displays these days. What is happening in this picture? They're about to hit the side of a mountain probably because they are fumbling around with the display to make it show more poo poo it doesn't need and not flying the drat airplane. I'm all for spacial and situational awareness but that is ridiculous. When you have that full scale of a deflection, you go missed. You'd never want to try to salvage an approach in IMC botched so badly.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Counterpoint: If AA 965 was equipped with something like this the accident chain would have ended with "Hey why are we flying directly at the side of a mountain?" instead of a fatal crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

i am kiss u now posted:

This is getting off topic of flight simulation a bit but I think more and more people are getting killed because of over-automation and reliance on technology and the absolute visual puke that is being shoved onto displays these days. What is happening in this picture? They're about to hit the side of a mountain probably because they are fumbling around with the display to make it show more poo poo it doesn't need and not flying the drat airplane. I'm all for spacial and situational awareness but that is ridiculous. When you have that full scale of a deflection, you go missed. You'd never want to try to salvage an approach in IMC botched so badly.

My PPL instructor told me to make sure to use the big instrument first - the world outside the windscreen.

I think you're right that the screen fixation is playing into this. Just because you can have all this crap on a display doesn't mean you need it. My Dad was ATPL and flew, amongst other things, the 707 as a first officer. No automation there and they did just fine flying all over the world. You don't need this stuff to fly safely. My cousin is a furloughed 737NG/Max Captain, he tells me he basically flies the thing ten minutes a leg. Everything else is automated, and he tries to fly it as much as he can. Some of his colleagues barely hand fly the thing at all.