Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah the first ep isn’t bad except a few teeth gnashingly irritating scenes, but at best it comes off as “fine”. Not good not bad just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Oh. Cool. Shadow is back to being a clueless idiot again.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ded posted:

Oh. Cool. Shadow is back to being a clueless idiot again.
Oh yeah I remember this part of the book being really boring (albeit a good reveal at the end of this section)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TBH I would be fine with the entire show just being about talking to different weird gods and nothing else, shame they can't actually keep any actors around

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh yeah I remember this part of the book being really boring (albeit a good reveal at the end of this section)

I want to see what they do with Hinzelmann. Julia Sweeny's one scene had her be very personable in a midwestern way, rather than the book's yarn-spinning old timer. Both are likeable but the energy is different to me and I want to see where it goes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I love the Lakeside plot but it really feels like an in-universe short story that Gaiman stuck in to pad out the main plot. When Wednesday chastised Shadow for not going in the beginning I legit thought they decided to excise it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Not the same song, but every time I hear a Canned Heat song in a show I can't help thinking of this tweet:

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/880992149885419520

Jerusalem posted:

They should have just let Bryan Fuller keep running the show, I don't give a gently caress if it blew out the budget or whatever, the show sucks without him.

lol that you think Bryan Fuller would stay with a show for longer than 1.5 seasons and not gently caress off to make some new passion project.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bryan Fuller is physically incapable of seeing something through to completion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He did all three seasons of Hannibal and it loving ruled :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

He did all three seasons of Hannibal and it loving ruled :colbert:

It should’ve been four or five, damnit!

*bangs fist on table*

IT SHOULD’VE BEEN FOUR OR FIVE!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I agree with Gonz, somebody bankroll another season :argh:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Maybe it's because I've been playing Death Stranding lately but the phrase "Hideo Kojima's Hannibal" jumped into my brain and I don't know if I'd want it or not.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gallant NBC Executive: Mr. Fuller, what are your plans for the first half of season 3 of your very expensive show?
Fuller: I take Gillian Anderson to Europe and photograph her looking beautiful in incredible outfits.
Gallant NBC Executive: This is the best idea I ever heard in my life :stwoon:

Goofus Starz Executive: Mr. Fuller, what are your plans for the second half of season 2 of your very expensive show?
Fuller: I film Gillian Anderson looking beautiful in a variety of recreations of famous figures from media.
Goofus Starz Executive: Well that's a bad idea and you're fired. :pseudo:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The real crime is that I don't think we're getting Chenoweth back as Easter, or probably any resolution to that "if they want spring back, they'll have to pray for it" plot point.

Like I know what war they're talking about because of the book, but this show is comically bad at displaying it in any capacity.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

There's a lot to complain about in season 2, but the 'transition' from the last episode of S1 to the first ep of s2 rank pretty loving high.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Gonz posted:

Bryan Fuller is physically incapable of seeing something through to completion.
This is my take.
Also when he tries, it's bad.

Hannibal S3 was very weak. Anderson looked like she approached every scene without any direction and it was frustratingly tedious to watch.
You need more than some slowmo shots of various wildlife to sustain a show into a third season.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Slowmotion means it's good though

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Andrew_1985 posted:

While I love the actress of the new Ms World, all I can see is her bitching people out on Pose.

The worst part of this show is still Wednesday. That and the constant actor swaps.
FYI, Mr. World isn't a full recast. Crispin Glover is still going to appear this season. (casting spoiler) Mr. World is apparently going to shift through a few appearances, one of which is Danny Trejo. :dance:

Though if you've read the book, he'll be played by another actor anyway once the plot gets there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Gallant NBC Executive: Mr. Fuller, what are your plans for the first half of season 3 of your very expensive show?
Fuller: I take Gillian Anderson to Europe and photograph her looking beautiful in incredible outfits.
Gallant NBC Executive: This is the best idea I ever heard in my life :stwoon:

Goofus Starz Executive: Mr. Fuller, what are your plans for the second half of season 2 of your very expensive show?
Fuller: I film Gillian Anderson looking beautiful in a variety of recreations of famous figures from media.
Goofus Starz Executive: Well that's a bad idea and you're fired. :pseudo:

He was asking for 10 mill an episode for a show that got 750k viewers at best, his firing was the least shocking firing ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He was asking for 10 mill an episode for a show that got 750k viewers at best

Worth every penny, give the viewers value for money :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

He was asking for 10 mill an episode for a show that got 750k viewers at best, his firing was the least shocking firing ever.

That's just his standard move when he's bored and wants the freedom to pursue something else.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I liked ep 2 a lot more than ep 1. Not a lot happened but it didn't raise the hairs on the back of my neck in a bad way. Feels like a show and not as desperate.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Pushing Daisies started to wear a little thin during season two, perhaps Fuller is just a one season guy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This was Starz just slinging poo poo. You remember what happened to Michael Green, Freemantle Media, the two days Starz claimed Neil Gaiman was running things.... Bryan Fuller's been very, very quiet about the whole thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Okay actually watching episode two.

"I own the biggest IT company in the world. I'm a loving god!"

Bilquist way more interesting this season than she's ever been. I get the feeling they're repositioning her as the new Media, given that Gillian Anderson isn't coming back, and the last actress was poo poo enough that they're not asking her back this year.

Show still looks like poo poo. Weirder than last year, though the Gods more remind me of Supernatural villains than the actual fundamental figures of power and terror that they were in season one (and occasionally tried to be in season two).

The way this season wrote off the Djinn. Lol.

"The only destiny I want is a normal life." loving lol

I'm largely indifferent to this though. Their casting for Hinzleman is perfect though, and this episode had Ian McShane comically play wrestle with an old man, so he's having fun.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

FYI, Mr. World isn't a full recast. Crispin Glover is still going to appear this season. (casting spoiler) Mr. World is apparently going to shift through a few appearances, one of which is Danny Trejo. :dance:

Though if you've read the book, he'll be played by another actor anyway once the plot gets there.

Probably recast him too from the way things are going

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fried Watermelon posted:

Probably recast him too from the way things are going

Probably depends on how well Jonathan Tucker's new show does, since he's a lead. But even then, they could easily just say "this is his TRUE form" since we've already seen multiple incarnations of multiple gods, and like 50 Jesuses.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Probably depends on how well Jonathan Tucker's new show does, since he's a lead. But even then, they could easily just say "this is his TRUE form" since we've already seen multiple incarnations of multiple gods, and like 50 Jesuses.

He's a regular on two different shows right now, so I dunno when they'll find the time.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Open Source Idiom posted:

Okay actually watching episode two.

"I own the biggest IT company in the world. I'm a loving god!"

what broke my brain was the owner of an IT company acting like he actually knows anything about IT work

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I liked the 17th Century vignette introducing the Thunderbirds for the first time after them being front and center in the opening credits the whole time.

I'm speculating that Cordelia is Technical Boy. She had a bunch of his mannerisms in the conversation in the alley that twigged me.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah and this gives me an issue with a spot near the end of the book

when Shadow meets "Wednesday" again and it looks like him but isn't him because he's a different version of Odin since different people worship him. This seems to indicate they all have the same base physically but there can be multiples. Only people so far from what we've seen who have shapeshifted are trickster gods. But it's being handled differently in the show, ie the Jesus thing

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I think that's just the in-universe problem with monotheism. When you're trying using one god for all your spiritual needs of course the vengeance personification and the forgiveness personification are going to be pretty divergent. You come to Odin for a particular set of skills so it makes sense that the differences between OG Odin and New World Odin are more subtle and cosmetic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Another week, another mystery.

This show can be good at times, but is often a chore to watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've been getting good vibes from this season. It's not hard to be much better than last season, but the show's got solid bones this year.

Edit: It's not going to be Season 1 levels of good (and the visuals are nowhere near what the first season was capable of) but it's still good stuff.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Season is good so far but lmao at road tripping from Wisconsin to New York in that loving beater.

Also the dead wife plot is so far away from everything else. Why is she getting the Betelgeuse treatment now instead of when she died the first time?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 25, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, what the hell is that. What happened when she died the first time? Did they know she would be magically revived and just left her?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I love the Lakeside plot but it really feels like an in-universe short story that Gaiman stuck in to pad out the main plot. When Wednesday chastised Shadow for not going in the beginning I legit thought they decided to excise it.

Is that the part where they just hang out in some old timey town and do some light grifting?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Is that the part where they just hang out in some old timey town and do some light grifting?

And there’s a bunch of dead kids that were basically sacrificed to keep the town as it was sitting in the lake IIRC but that doesn’t come up til the end.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

They're foreshadowing the hell out of the Lakeside supernatural stuff compared to the book. Hell the opener two weeks ago gave the whole thing away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

“D-...Did anybody else just see that?”