Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

the answer: podcasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

This is why the Jones Act is actually a good thing despite every backseat economics moron being against it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is it the tariffs

you know, the things that do exactly that

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Sylink posted:

Once you have a baby doing anything will be hard and impossible. It will consume your time and you will be lucky to do your laundry. Source: I have two and only now as they are 3+ do we have time to do more because they are more self reliant i.e. can play in a room without immediately dying.

TurdBurgles posted:

For real don't plan on doing anything for the first 18 months. You will be sleep deprived and the relationship strain will be massive.

I have a six-month-old wonderbaby, in that the doctors/nurses scarcely believe how easy and well-behaved she is, and even under what are apparently perfect circumstances I still have no time to do much beyond care for her. Just chiming in because these posts are hella true and even if you get a "good baby" (which is pure luck of the draw) moving is the last thing you're gonna want to do.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stereotype posted:

This is why the Jones Act is actually a good thing despite every backseat economics moron being against it.

Yeah, ok being against the debt-enslavement of our island territories is moronic. Idiotic. Dont those back seat economist KNOW that we have to keep as many islands under our thumb as the Chinese do otherwise my Ali Express order is gonna cost $4 dollars for my silicone strainer. THE HORROR

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, ok being against the debt-enslavement of our island territories is moronic. Idiotic. Dont those back seat economist KNOW that we have to keep as many islands under our thumb as the Chinese do otherwise my Ali Express order is gonna cost $4 dollars for my silicone strainer. THE HORROR

Are you saying the Jones Act causes "debt-enslavement"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i had to order a replacement macbook pro a1708 screen assembly from alibaba and it was like $45 shipping. loving trump i want my cheap shippin back

still was like $100 cheaper than ebaying one. lol ebay sucks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://twitter.com/BetterDwelling/status/1349778557006798848?s=20

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/1349033519092277248?s=20

the canadian housing market continues to be lmao

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

is it the tariffs

i'm guessing it's the reduced number of flights. those economy shipping methods basically just threw low priority packages onto flights with free space (i.e. standby for packages), so it essentially cost nothing to get mail overseas if you didn't care about a guaranteed delivery date

ordering stuff from a european amazon branch for shipment to the north america and vice versa used to be dirt cheap as well if you didn't mind waiting a month for stuff to arrive. not anymore

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

SchnorkIes posted:

Are you saying the Jones Act causes "debt-enslavement"

Yes, pop up an article on Puerto Rico for the specifics of non dischargeable debt they they gave to service to New York or the price of goods in Guam or whatever. If you want a direct before and after, Philipines were under the Jones act, then the fire god engulfed Clark Air Base, and they wrote "no american GIs allowed" in their constitution.

But hey, it's ok. Sall good because it helps the drydocks on the east and west coast.

Edit: looks like the new Hawaii rep introduced legislation and called out the two shipping companies by name. Jesus, I gotta find out how the SUCCmind hive gets their spots from because the only people I've ever heard bring up the Jones Act were Guam students, philipina balikbayans, and the haole failsons that depend on that total control.

Edit Linky

KirbyKhan has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Jan 18, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The Jones Act is so that domestic shipping infrastructure doesn't get supplanted by cheaper foreign services. Without the Jones Act there would be no domestic companies that shipped to Puerto Rico or Hawaii since it would be way cheaper to just piggyback all those shipments on international freighters with much higher volumes. That would have been catastrophic right now. We would be getting all our supplies from Navy boats since ships take more than a day to build.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

FistEnergy posted:

this is the usa, if u WANT something real bad it turns into a NEED magically

This describes 99% of the bad decisions my relatives make.

E: For context wanting to invest into theranos became putting half a 401k into it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I thought the unintended side effect of the Jones Act was that very little was actually shipped directly from a US port to a US port. It would go from a US port, layover in a Canadian or Mexican port, then go to its actual destination. This way it can be carried on a far cheaper international built/flagged/crewed vessel. It just takes a little bit longer, but is far cheaper.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

that can't be real

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

same op

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

is it the tariffs

it’s also that international container shipping cartel’ed up and most of the big lines jointly reduced capacity to bring rates up in response to the Covid drop off. they had been caught up in nasty feedback loop that kept prices low for a long time.

absurdly cheap intl container freight was always going to end eventually. it would have been bad if there would have abrupt line failures, but eventually it would have been a similar state to what’s happened now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stereotype posted:

lmao shut the gently caress up you lib loser

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i am a lib loser for being aware that boats can not be summoned instantaneously from the ether and that getting stuff to islands requires boats.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

i am willing to believe this without question

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Stereotype posted:

i am a lib loser for being aware that boats can not be summoned instantaneously from the ether and that getting stuff to islands requires boats.

But paying American workers American wages to do jobs within America is bad, because it does not offer the same low prices as shopping for the lowest global labor costs!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Schnorkles is defending you, in case you were curious how much of a lib loser your take made you

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Getting 5-6 solicitations like this every week

Me too. I finally just worked out how much I'd be willing to take (cash) to move my family out and sell. So when they call I just give them the number and let them tell me it's too high right now.

Thing is, I'm kinda concerned with prices going up in my area one day they'll say yes. Then I gotta go build a cabin in the woods somewhere.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SchnorkIes posted:

But paying American workers American wages to do jobs within America is bad, because it does not offer the same low prices as shopping for the lowest global labor costs!
correct

daddy needs his cheapest possible exploited goods extracted from impoverishing couped nations

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Schnorkles is defending you, in case you were curious how much of a lib loser your take made you

you should address his point though because I'm not sure if you want to be on the side that is saying "I am okay with exploitative global capitalism paying poor people nothing to sail on unsafe ecologically ruinous ships as long as my gallon of butter costs less." that wasn't even my point but it is also a good point in favor of the Jones Act.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
scabbing is good as long as it means LOW PRICES

🎶🎶 rolling back 🎶🎶 roll back america 🎶🎶 rolling up my sleeves 🎶🎶 rolling back the prices 🎶🎶

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stereotype posted:

Our boats can still remain competitive in the global market place without baring America Samoa from shipping their rice in from Asia. Losing the protection racket those shipping lanes represent is not going to be the death knell of American Drydock operations in this age of COVID.

Kinda moot tho, cuz lmao after another year of our poo poo CoVID responce ain't no boats coming here, only escape boats going out.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Who is paying those American wages, who is earning those wages, and who's labour value is being extracted?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

KirbyKhan posted:

Our boats can still remain competitive in the global market place without baring America Samoa from shipping their rice in from Asia. Losing the protection racket those is not going to be the death knell of American Drydock operations in this age of COVID.

Kinda moot tho, cuz lmao after another year of our poo poo CoVID responce ain't no boats coming here, only escape boats going out.

American Samoa can in fact ship things in from Asia on foreign ships

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

KirbyKhan posted:

Our boats can still remain competitive in the global market place without baring America Samoa from shipping their rice in from Asia.

This makes me think you don't know what the Jones Act is

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Stereotype posted:

This makes me think you don't know what the Jones Act is

I'm not sure they really know what covid is either

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SchnorkIes posted:

I'm not sure they really know what covid is either

its just a flu bro

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Our boats can still remain competitive in the global market place without baring America Samoa from shipping their rice in from Asia. Losing the protection racket those shipping lanes represent is not going to be the death knell of American Drydock operations in this age of COVID.

us to us ports. Jones Act deals with cabotage. if it’s us to us it’s Jones Act.

Asia to Samoa could be any flag. US mainland or Hawaii to Samoa has to be US flag.

it’s also pretty strong on seaman’s, ie workers rights.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The Jones Act is just dry dock workers and sailors being mean to islanders while guarding their jobs by ensuring there is robust shipping infrastructure so that people on the islands don't starve to death if the much larger international shipping industry they are parasitically relying on suddenly stops.

Covid stopped the boats going to islands because the only boats are cruise ships

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Stereotype posted:

international shipping industry they are parasitically relying on.

What?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

sorry that they would be parasitically relying on if there wasn't The Jones Act

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Stereotype posted:

sorry that they would be parasitically relying on if there wasn't The Jones Act

Free-market shipping to small remote islands, a notoriously cheap process...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bar Ran Dun posted:

us to us ports. Jones Act deals with cabotage. if it’s us to us it’s Jones Act.

Asia to Samoa could be any flag. US mainland or Hawaii to Samoa has to be US flag.

it’s also pretty strong on seaman’s, ie workers rights.

The shipping lane of Thailand - American Samoa - next US port is forbidden. So in practicality only small boats dedicated to the island grabs poo poo from Asia. Big boat cannot stop by and unload it's far cheaper cargo.

Phone posting: Very disingenuous to claim that I know nothing of the Jones act because I did not type the magical incantation exactly as defined by the good authors at Drydocks Weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I worked on tour boats in Chicago and the people who were full time boats-for-a-living, licensed captains and such, they always said if you hit the absolute bottom of the barrel and you need a job that pays good/don't mind being gone for a bit you can be a deckhand on one of the mississipi river barges. They don't give a gently caress how many felonies you have and the tradeoff is you're stuck on a barge for three weeks with the kind of people who take jobs like that. I knew at least one captain who split his time between driving tour boats and doing river barges who basically volunteered to be the captain the company would make a show of firiing if they needed to because he'd just go work the barges and come back in a month or two when it had all been forgotten about.

Also the tour boat company I worked for on the river works its maritime crews insane hours without paying them overtime, because they're on a boat so they don't get that even though they never leave the city limits. Theoretically there were also limits on how much they could work any individual person which were also ignored.