Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Trump's dumb garden statue list got revealed and Cy Young is getting a statue lmao. So is Ruth and Clemente, those those are less funny to me than Young. I wonder if there are any other baseball players set to be put in that ridiculous shrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

alpha_destroy posted:

Trump's dumb garden statue list got revealed and Cy Young is getting a statue lmao. So is Ruth and Clemente, those those are less funny to me than Young. I wonder if there are any other baseball players set to be put in that ridiculous shrine.

Willing to bet Curt Schilling is furiously lobbying for a garden gnome of his own at this moment

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

alpha_destroy posted:

There are six baseball players: Clemente, Gehrig, Robinson, Ruth, Thorpe, and Young. Also athletes Muhammad Ali, Herb Brooks, Kobe Bryant, Vic Lombardi, and Jesse Owens.

Clemente, Robinson, Ruth, and Thorpe were dedicated anti-racists, but Gehrig and Young are weird choices. Satchel Paige would have been a better choice for a pitcher, and I'd put Ted Williams or Curt Flood in the garden instead of Gehrig.

Andrew Jackson is also on the list, maybe we should just consider ourselves lucky that Trump didn't give Cap Anson a statue.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chamale posted:

There are six baseball players: Clemente, Gehrig, Robinson, Ruth, Thorpe, and Young. Also athletes Muhammad Ali, Herb Brooks, Kobe Bryant, Vic Lombardi, and Jesse Owens.

Clemente, Robinson, Ruth, and Thorpe were dedicated anti-racists, but Gehrig and Young are weird choices. Satchel Paige would have been a better choice for a pitcher, and I'd put Ted Williams or Curt Flood in the garden instead of Gehrig.

Andrew Jackson is also on the list, maybe we should just consider ourselves lucky that Trump didn't give Cap Anson a statue.

USPOL theorized that someone gave Trump a giant list of candidates and he just approved them all because he’s lazy, and that would absolutely explain why it’s so broad and all over the place.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCubs/status/1351019978863079428

It wouldn't be a Cubs offseason if they didn't pick up a guy who was good several years ago.

Sure why not let's bring back Jeff Samardzija too.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Sure why not let's bring back Jeff Samardzija too.

Edwin Jackson isn’t busy if you’re looking to build a dream team

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

USPOL theorized that someone gave Trump a giant list of candidates and he just approved them all because he’s lazy, and that would absolutely explain why it’s so broad and all over the place.

There is absolutely 0 chance trump read more than a name or two before okaying it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chamale posted:

Herb Brooks feels more out of place there to me

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DurosKlav posted:

There is absolutely 0 chance trump read more than a name or two before okaying it.

Bold to assume he reads.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Any other team signing Miller is a fine low risk depth move because hey if he has figured something out after all those TJS's to get back to what he was then great and if not who cares. But the Cubs' pitching depth is so shot to poo poo right now that barring an actual signing he is the 5th starter.

I am probably less excited about this than I was when they signed post-hype Jacob Turner to a AAA contract.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Here's what happened:

- A bunch of good people ripped down confederate statues.
- Donald Trump got real mad and said they were heroes and should be preserved.
- People got real mad.
- Someone came up with the genius idea of gathering all the statues of racists in one place and sticking Trump's name on it.
- They added some black guys to prove its not racits.
- No one thought about it for 6 months.
- A week before the end of his presidency Trump realized his only legacy is one of the biggest political collapses and ugliest moments in US political history so said "hey, build a giant rear end billion dollar statue park with my name on it and come up with a list of names."
- Someone went to Wikipedia.
- We'll never hear about it again.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Here's what happened:

- A bunch of good people ripped down confederate statues.
- Donald Trump got real mad and said they were heroes and should be preserved.
- People got real mad.
- Someone came up with the genius idea of gathering all the statues of racists in one place and sticking Trump's name on it.
- They added some black guys to prove its not racits.
- No one thought about it for 6 months.
- A week before the end of his presidency Trump realized his only legacy is one of the biggest political collapses and ugliest moments in US political history so said "hey, build a giant rear end billion dollar statue park with my name on it and come up with a list of names."
- Someone went to Wikipedia.
- We'll never hear about it again.

Sir, this is the baseball thread

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yankees - Gleyber + Castillo is a better team than Yankees - Castillo + Gleyber.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GalacticAcid posted:

Yankees - Gleyber + Castillo is a better team than Yankees - Castillo + Gleyber.

I don't agree with this. Gleyber is 23 years old and already a multiple all star coming off a down season. If you're trading him, it better be for an ace and Castllo isn't at that level. Maybe trade Gleyber at the deadline since there are a ton of SS's to go get next year but I would want to get more than Castillo for him.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

mcmagic posted:

I don't agree with this. Gleyber is 23 years old and already a multiple all star coming off a down season. If you're trading him, it better be for an act and Castllo isn't at that level. Maybe trade Gleyber at the deadline since there are a ton of SS's to go get next year but I would want to get more than Castillo for him.

It's also rumored that they were asking for Gleyber and more, maybe a straight up trade I'd be ok with but who knows what else they were asking for.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1351307345448546308?s=21

love rooting for this team

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol that the nl central is just a farm team for the Mighty San Diego Padremen

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1351307743576154115

Head is the Padres' #7 guy according to MLB Pipeline so if nothing else you can take comfort in the fact that you're getting back a better return than the Cubs did for Darvish lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I love that when Torres has a bad 2020 it's just a "down season" but when LeMahieu has a good 2020 it's how good he's going to be going forward

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

no one is named "hudson head" get out of here

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Julio Cruz posted:

I love that when Torres has a bad 2020 it's just a "down season" but when LeMahieu has a good 2020 it's how good he's going to be going forward

His full name is now Top Ten Player DJ LeMahieu

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1351307743576154115

Head is the Padres' #7 guy according to MLB Pipeline so if nothing else you can take comfort in the fact that you're getting back a better return than the Cubs did for Darvish lol

Joe Musgrove has a sub 100 ERA+, dude is a JAG at best

Why are the Padres trading anything of value for him?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Brainless post, just shut the gently caress up when you don’t know what you’re talking about

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Bregor posted:

His full name is now Top Ten Player DJ LeMahieu

Top 5 hitter by WAR last season

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Looks like the Nats are signing Jon Lester. Sure why not, he's probably still better than Eric Fedde.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

no one is named "hudson head" get out of here

Hilton Head Island is a real place (and, remarkably, it's not named after the hotel guy).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the Padres have a stacked farm and none of these teams seem to care to extract any of it in trade

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/alexjstumpf/status/1351318258088103939?s=21

Good, I guess?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
what will Biertempfel write about now that he can’t cry every day that the pirates won’t trade for catcher prospects

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Does anyone know if the Cardinals are planning on playing in 2021?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Musgrove rules and I won’t stand for this slander.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mike_V posted:

Does anyone know if the Cardinals are planning on playing in 2021?

They are gonna win the division lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Luis Castillo was a top 10 pitcher by fwar ityool 2020 good sirs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Julio Cruz posted:

Torres' 1st 1k AB all with the Yankees were with a 125 OPS+ and he had a 102 OPS+ last year in 160 AB. It's not insane to think that's a down year.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 19, 2021

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

I think I disagree with this because of their age and years of team control. But I will say Castillo had a better 2020 than I realized. Maybe he is an ace now or close to it?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1351336523258425344

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

goodbye bunt king

jon lester is a first-ballot Hall of Very Good guy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Musgrove rules and I won’t stand for this slander.

What am I missing here? Is Musgrove secretly the freshest man on Earth or something

He's a dime a dozen pitcher otherwise

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

hey guys just came here to say the pirates got more for joe musgrove than the cubs got for yu darvish

lmfao cubs

GA I know this is frustrating to see but it's a solid haul for Musgrove. I wouldn't be too upset by this trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kirios posted:

hey guys just came here to say the pirates got more for joe musgrove than the cubs got for yu darvish

lmfao cubs

the cubs don't care about the return they just needed someone to take yu's salary