Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Casnorf posted:

dont be a dingus

pcs are for WORK

Working from home is cool but ultimately I feel like my PC is being held hostage whenever my first Zoom call of the day starts, because then I'm reluctant to game until I've finished all my meetings for the day.

The solution is obvious: Build a second gaming PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fedule posted:

I have a very large amount of feelings of various sorts about Death Stranding but one thing I super appreciated about it is that it managed to present a game in which taking in the fine visual details of the world around you was literally a core part of deeply-engaged play.

Similarly, the really great thing about Zelda: Breath of the Wild that I keep hoping is going to start showing up in other open world games any year now is that it made such a big deal about your exploration being guided by sight, with the environment designed to suggest routes and destinations to you just from a scan, and had Ubisoft Towers but you actually have to look at stuff from them instead of just jotting down a hundred new map icons.

Yes, both games made navigating the landscape a puzzle in itself and I want more games to do this. Going back to games where you can run at top speed without really looking where you are stepping feels weird now.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I got Demon's Souls yesterday, and the graphics did blow me away. And the haptic/controller speaker is uhh... drat it's good. What the gently caress? I cannot properly explain how immersive the controller is in this game. I got like a crazy adrenaline rush even fighting a boss like loving Tower Knight because of the fidelity of *everything*.
There were also some crazy scenery in Cyberpunk that blew me away. I loaded a save where I was on jig-jig street and the reflections, neon, amount of people, everything just hit just right as it does.
I just loaded up TLOU2 again and was playing through the beginning, and the INSANE DRAW DISTANCE when you are overlooking cities did make me say "drat that looks good".
Seeing a crazy rendered colorful field with the wind cutting through in Ghost of Tsushima also made me say that.

Lots of actually good looking games still blowing my balls off

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 18, 2021

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Reminds me a bit of that problem where making anything good-looking at above shoulder height in a third-person game is practically a waste because no one ever looks up anyway.

There's even a meta-callout to this exact phenomenon in TLOU2 - "Wolves never look up"

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

exquisite tea posted:

Working from home is cool but ultimately I feel like my PC is being held hostage whenever my first Zoom call of the day starts, because then I'm reluctant to game until I've finished all my meetings for the day.

The solution is obvious: Build a second gaming PC.

I lease an office just so I can get out once in a while or all I'd do is sit on my couch and shitpo--oh, dang

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

The Infamous games, maybe? Otherwise, there really aren't as many PS3 exclusives as I would've expected anyway.

I hope the new Ratchet and Clank game sparks interest in the Future subseries being ported, all 4 in a pack with a 4K touchup would be great.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Firstborn posted:

Thanks to the goons who recommended headphones to me.

You guys told me to get the DT 770 pro cans, and I took a few days researching stuff. Reading reviews, watching YTs comparisons, reading audophile forums, etc.

... Well as it turns out, that's the perfect pair for me. They got here yesterday. They are 32 Ohm, but they have velour pads (like the higher impedance level ones) instead of the pleather. I've also never heard a pair of headphones that sound this... balanced? It makes it immediately clear to me how bass boosted the other lower quality headphones I've used are to try and cover how bad they sound.

These are really good. I remember Samurai Sanders (ty) seconding the recommendation, but I don't remember who originally suggested them. Thanks goons.

Shouts out to the DT 770 crew

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Casnorf posted:

Yes. Yes put the hardware in yo. That's what I asked for.

Sony might still be doing this but it screwed them over really badly with the PS3. The fact of the matter is this wasn't largely used even when the PS3 was new, and increased the cost of the PS3 by more than a bare PS2 cost at the time.

It's also a bit of a weird situation now because while they are keeping the PS3 network functional for PS Now titles, I can tell you right now as someone who just setup a PS3 from scratch that downloading stuff is even worse than it was before. You can basically only download by going through the download list and certain game DLC browsers. Buying stuff, which can only be done on a PS3 now, is really screwy and you get errors if you try to redownload a PS3 game from its store like you could before (you have to go through the download list and good luck with that).

I went as digital as I could on PS3 but honestly, now, discs are the better way to go for that, far more reliable. Get a PS3 Super Slim and play whatever PS1 and PS3 stuff you want that way (and also PS2 downloadables).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You can play PS3 games on the PS5 with PS Now, so don't gimme no lip about how it's impossible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fedule posted:

I have a very large amount of feelings of various sorts about Death Stranding but one thing I super appreciated about it is that it managed to present a game in which taking in the fine visual details of the world around you was literally a core part of deeply-engaged play.

Similarly, the really great thing about Zelda: Breath of the Wild that I keep hoping is going to start showing up in other open world games any year now is that it made such a big deal about your exploration being guided by sight, with the environment designed to suggest routes and destinations to you just from a scan, and had Ubisoft Towers but you actually have to look at stuff from them instead of just jotting down a hundred new map icons.

BotW makes you feel as though you actually have a map and not just a checklist. Seeing something interesting on the map and deciding how to get there or seeing something in the world and marking it on the map is actual exploration.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ghost of Tsushima also rewards using your eyes to explore to a degree, the map is definitely set up so that you can always see something cool over there

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

You can play PS3 games on the PS5 with PS Now, so don't gimme no lip about how it's impossible.

Very true, and also there are very few "proper" games missing from PS Now if you're looking to polish off some PS3 exclusives.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lol @ spending my entire morning in Logic with 770s on and then coming in here to see y’all talking about The Good Headphones.

My people itt

:hfive:

Seriously 770s are phenomenal for everything I’ve thrown at them. Really comfy too and I don’t even have the nice velour pads.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lobok posted:

BotW makes you feel as though you actually have a map and not just a checklist. Seeing something interesting on the map and deciding how to get there or seeing something in the world and marking it on the map is actual exploration.

I loved how the world being a bowl with Hyrule Castle at its center visible from everywhere meant I didn't even have to look at my map much. I could orient myself just by panning the camera, so I had a constant frame of reference for exploration. And staying out of the map taught me to navigate by landmark, compounding the effect over time.

It's nowhere near as ambitious, but Pathless definitely internalizes that lesson. There's no map to lean on, so the world is carefully designed to be navigable without one.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

acksplode posted:

I loved how the world being a bowl with Hyrule Castle at its center visible from everywhere meant I didn't even have to look at my map much. I could orient myself just by panning the camera, so I had a constant frame of reference for exploration. And staying out of the map taught me to navigate by landmark, compounding the effect over time.

It's nowhere near as ambitious, but Pathless definitely internalizes that lesson. There's no map to lean on, so the world is carefully designed to be navigable without one.
This is also one of the big reasons I find New Vegas so satisfying to explore since you can orient yourself based on where the city lights are and how far away they are.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Being able to navigate a game because you have become familiar with your surroundings instead of looking at a map or a hud icon is one of the top immersion builders that causes me to get really absorbed into something. Definitely one of the reasons games like Dark Souls and BOTW resonate so much with me.

BOTW is nothing like Dark Souls, but a lot of why I like it so much is for similar reasons as Dark Souls honeslty.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 18, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I thought ps now was going to try and do the nintendo online collection thing as a streaming service with ps1-2-3 games a few years back cause they had said in an interview they were going to look at older games once the service was rolled out but it didnt happen.
I then this year thought ps now would change to be more of a bc focused service after a much better value modern game collection was curated into ps+ but now it's still doing the same thing
In the end how they want to make it attractive to me beyond just the month it took to beat tokyo jungle, sly 2, ico, and spec ops is just another sony mystery to piss me off like how they have 50 new exclusives in the can and studio acquisitions that they wont reveal, or whatever rumor the sneaker broker was saying yesterday

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
who plays games honestly I just want one big old box roughly the size of my couch that I can stick any old disc into maybe give it a floppy drive and a tape drive while were at it like temple of apshai and while it is loading a round or four of seige

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

we must not rest until it becomes possible to play we love katamari on the playstation 5 console

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What was the consensus of Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time? Seems like it came and went without much fervor?

My friends just got a PS5 and one of them grew up on Crash Bandicoot and wants a platformer to play after Astro's Playroom, so it's either Crash or Sackboy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i watched the 4k bluray of planet earth 2 this weekend and for some reason all the really detailed long shots of buffalo herds and locust swarms registered as cgi to my brain lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ZeeBoi posted:

Has the PS5 buzzing/coil whine been accepted as a normal thing?

Some people have it, others don't. It doesn't seem to affect performance. Mine has it but it's usually not noticable since the piss5 is behind the tv and I'm usually playing with loud volume or a headset. If I have the volume turned down I can notice it. I have yet to try out Mile Morales or any RTX stuff so I cannot annecdotally confirm if there is any functional issue with the console or not, other than to say that I've had only one soft crash of a game during the entire two months I've used the console.

Far more annoying is the random optical drive spin-up which needs to be patched PRONTO

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Franchescanado posted:

What was the consensus of Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time? Seems like it came and went without much fervor?

My friends just got a PS5 and one of them grew up on Crash Bandicoot and wants a platformer to play after Astro's Playroom, so it's either Crash or Sackboy.

It's more Crash if you want more Crash that's about it, leans a bit too much into 'original Crash trilogy was actually balls hard' but that's about it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

lol @ spending my entire morning in Logic with 770s on and then coming in here to see y’all talking about The Good Headphones.

My people itt

:hfive:

Seriously 770s are phenomenal for everything I’ve thrown at them. Really comfy too and I don’t even have the nice velour pads.

I have a pair of DT 990s (open back version) I use with my computer and I love them. I do have to power them up with an amp though or they don't shine. Wish I had a set up where I could use it with my PS5

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

If you like Crash it's the best of the series, although it's best to check any completionist tendencies at the door. It's not overly difficult for a casual playthrough but trying to get all the boxes and time trial relics will drive you mad. I liked it significantly more than Sackboy.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's more Crash if you want more Crash that's about it, leans a bit too much into 'original Crash trilogy was actually balls hard' but that's about it.

I thought it's unfun hard even. Like whole bonus levels of box bridges. Dozens of em

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

marktheando posted:

PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility would be really good, but the PS5 can't read CDs. Shame.

And I can't think of any PS3 exclusives I want to play except for MGS4

For me, it's the OG Nier (the remake looks good, but it's Brother Nier instead of the far superior Papa Nier), and Tales of Xillia one and two. ToX2 was a perfect mix of batshit and charming that I keep getting the urge to play it again. But yea, aside from that I'm not really jonesing for any exclusives.

Franchescanado posted:

As someone who grew up with the original Crash games and who played the hell out of the remakes; I didn't like Crash 4. It just didn't have the same flow or energy, and I really didn't like jumping from character to character. The masks felt really gimicky to me, too. I would watch a few videos on Youtube or something to get a feel for how it plays because I know a lot of people really like it, but it just was not for me.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 18, 2021

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I wish I could play some of the classic PSX games I bought digitally on my PS3 on the PS5. I want to replay RE2 without having to take my PS3 out of storage

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

I want to replay RE2 without having to take my PS3 out of storage

Good news!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rabid Snake posted:

I wish I could play some of the classic PSX games I bought digitally on my PS3 on the PS5. I want to replay RE2 without having to take my PS3 out of storage

Hot rumor going around right now is that Capcom's doing a Resident Evil collection for the anniversary, as they're posting tweet videos of the menus in the games now with marked differences from the originals.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's the anniversary of Jet Moto so they should release Jet Moto 1-3 and then Jet Moto 1-3 Remasters and then the long awaited Jet Moto (2021).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

scary ghost dog posted:

i watched the 4k bluray of planet earth 2 this weekend and for some reason all the really detailed long shots of buffalo herds and locust swarms registered as cgi to my brain lol

Rendered images tend to have a sharpness to them that most video lacks, really high quality 4K content can look a little hyperreal because of it.

Anyone in Canada manage to get a PS5 recently?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Rendered images tend to have a sharpness to them that most video lacks, really high quality 4K content can look a little hyperreal because of it.

Anyone in Canada manage to get a PS5 recently?

i think there was some compositing in the editing room that i was subconsciously picking up on

TasteTheRambo
Sep 10, 2020
For anyone curious, you can platinum games on both the PS4 and the PS5. I spent the day getting it on the PS5 version of Maneater, having already gotten it on PS4 version in June.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
can i buy a ps5 yet? like, retail. from a retail store. for the retail price

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DELETE CASCADE posted:

can i buy a ps5 yet? like, retail. from a retail store. for the retail price

Yes. In Japan.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i am in california usa please write back

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Lol extremely no to this. I just entered in my fourth lottery to try to win the right to preorder one, after three unsuccessful attempts. I’m almost certain this one will fail too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah Japan is apparently getting barely any allocated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Some just went up for preorder, online, in Canada!