Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

A lot of Cylce of Violence vibes from this episode

Paradis is a fossil fuel rich island right? That's why any of this matters? Amazing touch by the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Willy was being disingenuous - "Come on, they're just Eldians, aren't they? Isn't sending them to their deaths what you've been doing for years?" he says as he knowingly marches towards his own death to try and save them by scapegoating Paradis.

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not sure that's quite... hmn.

I agree he's self-loathing, but notice how he puts "improving the reputation of Eldians" as one of his top priorities from his years of work. He also has a bunch of kids, which is more than a little hypocritical if his goal is the extinction of his people.

He's putting this in the ghetto to make the hated Eldians of Liberio into sanctified martyrs. Which requires a certain willingness to kill them.

Magath is being called on to be a bastard, with Tybur bringing up the things he's done in the past as a way to confirm he's going to do this and not blink.

I guess I phrased that poorly but what I meant was that Magath was more concerned over the idea of civilian Eldian casualties than him and Willy was the one ranting about how they're spawn of devils. Willy may be doing this whole plan to ostensibly 'save' the Eldians in the long run, but he clearly does think they're a cursed race who deserves to be punished in some way and I doubt the civilian casualties gave him much pause at all.

Also Magath did get convinced by Gabi to try her plan to avoid sacrificing the 800 Eldian soldiers. So he has shown that he'll avoid getting them killed if he can. Between him and the gate guards, I think it's interesting that they've been showing some Marlyeans who aren't totally 'gently caress the Eldian scum' lately.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Holy poo poo what an episode

It's amazing to see Eren just so level headed and strategic. I love how he just charged and punched the warhammer titan before it even finished transforming.

And everyone showed up! Super awesome new armor! Everyone has guns! Levi just absolutely owning the jaw titan! Fantastic. I have no idea what's gonna happen. None! God I need Eren to eat the warhammer titan. I was gutted he was interrupted.

Sasha and Jean just calmly head shotting people. Absolutely cycle of violence stuff, as shown when Jean admonishes that young guy who wants to burn everything down.

Well done Armin for loving everything up and not watching those guys.

Paradis are now definitely the "villains" but what's their end game? This can't end well.

I'm sure someone will save the jaw titan right at the beginning of the next episode (right after a flashback to start the episode haha)

Please Eren eat the warhammer titan. Please Levi kill the beast titan.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mikasa's conversation with Eren was wild. It sounds like he basically just announced he was going in on his own, forcing everyone else to follow even if they didn't want to.

Nephthys posted:

I guess I phrased that poorly but what I meant was that Magath was more concerned over the idea of civilian Eldian casualties than him and Willy was the one ranting about how they're spawn of devils. Willy may be doing this whole plan to ostensibly 'save' the Eldians in the long run, but he clearly does think they're a cursed race who deserves to be punished in some way and I doubt the civilian casualties gave him much pause at all.

Also Magath did get convinced by Gabi to try her plan to avoid sacrificing the 800 Eldian soldiers. So he has shown that he'll avoid getting them killed if he can. Between him and the gate guards, I think it's interesting that they've been showing some Marlyeans who aren't totally 'gently caress the Eldian scum' lately.
Might be because Magath spends a lot of time in contact with Eldians for his job? Like with Reiner and Paradis he probably has some awareness that they're just a bunch of regular people.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought the cg was mostly good for war hammer, suitable to how creepy it is, but there were a couple shot of Attack titan that were off.

But I have no real complaints. Great ep. so tough to watch week to week!

Edit:loving phone posting

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 18, 2021

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The CG of ... I think it was Jean but it might have been Connie landing and moving was really awkward but I thought the rest of it was great. Warhammer Titan is kind of absurdly broken if Eren didn't spot the weakness immediately.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, that landing shot and a couple of further out shots for the Attack Titan looked a bit off in motion. Otherwise I thought the CGI looked pretty good, I'm definitely not thinking "this is a big lump of CGI" every time the titans are on-screen like I did with the Colossal Titan in previous series.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I feel like CGI in anime if it's prominent almost always looks bad, and I've been put off whole shows for bad CG before, but I'll take these CGI titans we've seen every remaining episode if we don't get anything like the old Colossal or Rodd Reiss ever again.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mikasa saying "let's go home". Are you serious. Go home NOW?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Mikasa saying "let's go home". Are you serious. Go home NOW?

Scouts! I have just received new orders. Mikasa say the war is cancelled, and we can all go home. Marley is getting paid off for its crimes, and our friends will have died... will have died for nothing. But... we can all go home. Meanwhile, ideas like peace, freedom and justice - they get packed up. But... we can all go home. Well... I'm not going home. I'm gonna get in my Titan, and I'm going on stage, and I'm going to kick that Warhammer Titan's rear end so HARD... that the next Helos wanna-be is gonna feel it. Now who wants to go home... and who wants to go with ME!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I feel like CGI in anime if it's prominent almost always looks bad, and I've been put off whole shows for bad CG before, but I'll take these CGI titans we've seen every remaining episode if we don't get anything like the old Colossal or Rodd Reiss ever again.

Chunk leg colossal was really bad but rodd was very funny and therefore good.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
This show broke the last studio trying to animate it and if reports are anything to go by it's come close to doing the same for Mappa.

If the price of not having the animators kill themselves to get this done is CGI, I'll take it. Especially when they have blended the cgi really, really well and the motion is pretty fluid across the board.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Judging from the preview, Zeke shows up. Levi better get some sweet sweet revenge.

I will also settle for Pieck getting hosed up.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Pieck kind of rules though

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

This show broke the last studio trying to animate it and if reports are anything to go by it's come close to doing the same for Mappa.

If the price of not having the animators kill themselves to get this done is CGI, I'll take it. Especially when they have blended the cgi really, really well and the motion is pretty fluid across the board.

Kind of shocked that Mappa was doing it while also doing Jujutsu Kaisen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Holy gently caress this episode owned.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I don't mind ok-ishly done CGI titans because they're supposed to be weird and otherworldy anyways

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Pieck kind of rules though

Pieck's smart enough to impress Zeke "Wonderboy" Yeager, cute enough that Marleyians are crushing on her in public (her support squad doesn't have a single Eldian in it), and capable enough to be singlehandedly responsible for salvaging the disaster of the raid on Paradis. If not for her, Marley would have been annihilated in their middle eastern war.

There's enough capable people on the show that she's not the guaranteed winner of "most competent", but she's definitely one of the top candidates for the title.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I liked Porco's realization that he no longer possesses "shock and awe" against an enemy that's accustomed to fighting titans.

From Eren and Mikasa's conversation is sounds like Eren initiated all of this on his own. I wonder if he has a better long term plan than simply kill em all.

My personal desire is too see Eren and Zeke fight as titans. The last thing that Zeke said to Eren was "I will save you" (from Grisha's ideology). I'm curious how Zeke feels now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brutakas posted:

I liked Porco's realization that he no longer possesses "shock and awe" against an enemy that's accustomed to fighting titans.

This, and Mikasa showing up were my favorite moments. Hoping to see Levi just obliterate everything.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Same opinion for me. Nothing will look worse than Bertholdt's Colossal Titan last season.

Anyways what an incredible episode. They did a great job depicting how horrible and unpredictable this attack was through everybody dying around Gabby, Pieck panicking because she heard ODM in the sky, and Porco trying to wrap his head around why the scouts were charging him.

After this is over I want Sawano to score a blockbuster war movie.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Shneak posted:

Anyways what an incredible episode. They did a great job depicting how horrible and unpredictable this attack was through everybody dying around Gabby, Pieck panicking because she heard ODM in the sky, and Porco trying to wrap his head around why the scouts were charging him.

Something the perspective change really takes advantage of is how absolutely prepared the scouts are for this moment and how ill-prepared the Marlyeans are to counter it; it’s a total mirror of the early episodes in which Titans seemed like an unstoppable force. The mere threat of anti-Titan weaponry was enough to start getting Marley worried about their future , and an army comprised entirely of those lucky and skilled enough to survive insurmountable odds against Titans just showed up at their doorstep with a ton of fun new toys and four years more experience than we last saw them.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I woke up to a thousand posts in various places complaining about the CG. I watched it and it was fine. Episode whips.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
eren eat the titans

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Beefstew posted:

I woke up to a thousand posts in various places complaining about the CG. I watched it and it was fine. Episode whips.

Gotta be something to whine about.

Big fan of everyone else showing up with guns and rockets and Levis just there with his swords, terrifying people.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Having far and even medium shots of people also be CG was a bit unexpected but on the other hand the new 3DMG is ridiculously complex to draw and animate.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
It actually really works that there was a studio change for this season, as the perspective flipped to the other side for this story, so all of our old protagonists looking odd and really loving scary is perfect since they are being seen from the eyes of people that have never encountered the "Devils from Paradis".

Also, this was the single most fire episode of this series I've ever viewed, and that's saying a lot considering I usually think that two or three times each season.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It actually really works that there was a studio change for this season, as the perspective flipped to the other side for this story, so all of our old protagonists looking odd and really loving scary is perfect since they are being seen from the eyes of people that have never encountered the "Devils from Paradis".

Also, this was the single most fire episode of this series I've ever viewed, and that's saying a lot considering I usually think that two or three times each season.

Something I saw pointed out is that the new tracks for the season tend to be associated with Marley, while Paradis keeps the old music. Just another clever little thing to keep up this season feeling distinct.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love it when Eren just charges over to the soldiers and starts pummeling them like he's in a Popeye cartoon. gently caress you, soldiers

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

complaining about cgi when floch's new hairstyle is right there smdh :v:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
This episode was fantastic.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm more concerned about who is going to get killed by Gabi than anything else next episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Alan_Shore posted:

I love it when Eren just charges over to the soldiers and starts pummeling them like he's in a Popeye cartoon. gently caress you, soldiers
I laughed at the belly flop

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm more concerned about who is going to get killed by Gabi than anything else next episode.

I feel like this is a mathematical certainty. I just wonder if she'll be killed in retaliation. And surely Reiner will be showing up next time (probably right at the end).

Man this show is the best

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sindai posted:

I laughed at the belly flop

I laughed at the soldier who immediately acquiesced to the glory of the belly flop.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AlternateNu posted:

I laughed at the soldier who immediately acquiesced to the glory of the belly flop.

Fittingly, that's the general who mused about flying titans.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Fittingly, that's the general who mused about flying titans.

I was hoping for a 'Is that one of ours?'

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

Imagine if you would start to watch AOT this season, never having seen anything before. Now imagine the scenes showing paradisers perspective was cut from the episode. I dare anyone to tell me that this wouldnt be almost as horrific as the beginning of the show. Two of the kids we have gotten to know over these episodes, snuffed out just like that. An attack by an overwhelming force, seemingly almost unstoppable when the episode credits rolled. Villains indeed, Eren, villains indeed.

Oh, and I am glad people can enjoy the animation. Good for you, I am genuinly envious. For me, It was terrible. Using CGI for human characters this way takes me right out of it. More power to you if you can enjoy it anyway, I pray silently that next episode is more like the earlier this seasons which looked fine to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The animation is fine but I really wish the direction was a bit stronger. A lot of these scenes could have been really powerful and instead they're just pretty neat