Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

It has been 200 years since Dominic Deegan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

"Legacy is everything, Dominic" yeah apparently not

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The power of Legacy got us to look at loving nothing for half a year and barely anything of note before that.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I defy any of you not to read this dump of explanations as being shouted by the WWE commentators.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

This is a tiny thing but it really irks me. Why does he bold the alliteration? Does Mookie not think his readers can read?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Why does he bold the alliteration? Does Mookie not think his readers can read?

He thinks he's the most intelligent seer in the extra-dimensional scrying room.

Bone grass
Feb 3, 2012

The Little Death posted:

A page reminding us of all the characters involved I guess? I don't hate it, but I feel like it's trying to ape a tv cut and I dont' think it really works.

It's a recap of the love triangles.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Bone grass posted:

It's a recap of the love triangles.

Oh poo poo, you're right! I guess he must have decided Soggy and Jayden had screwed by this point.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

GrossMurpel posted:

I defy any of you not to read this dump of explanations as being shouted by the WWE commentators.

Hah, I hadn't thought about that but it's perfect. I can't read it otherwise now.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

The Little Death posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right! I guess he must have decided Soggy and Jayden had screwed by this point.

There's an uncharacteristically subtle amount of foreshadowing to Siggy's death in this arc He brings up the impending death but doesn't offer Siggy as a potential victim, talks about preserving the good memories of bad people (Which Dominic immediately shits on when it gets too hard) and positions him with the other 3rd wheeling lustful men that have been giving up death flags. I'd be willing to bet the whole thing about people having good memories of bad people is about the DD fans who started to love Siggy, especially since this is hot on the heels of his big character moment in the last arc.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

GrossMurpel posted:

Oh, that's very funny.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Every time I look at that second panel all I see is "You going to gently caress me into bed?"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pseudoscorpion posted:

This is a tiny thing but it really irks me. Why does he bold the alliteration? Does Mookie not think his readers can read?

He's the guy who has to explain every joke because he wants to make absolutely sure that everyone knows how witty he is.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

More texture brushes. Also they are in a place I guess

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Very monkey's paw of him to take us from the boring, unbearable plains of the Wild Edge to the boring unbearable plains of Maltak.

Forgot to draw Snout's tail in the last panel.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The (aimless) Meandering Around Maltak.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I just want to comment on mookie's logic that every region of this world has road signs like it's city limits. It just one of those things that just smacks of lazy world building, at lazy visual design. Of all the ways to demonstrate that this is Maltak, why a sign in (presumably Callanian) letters?

Just have orcs! Have an orc village in the distance and then an orc closer by so that you can tell that these are the populated plains of Maltak. finally creating an actual direct connection to the events of the original comic run

This just makes Mookie's world feel like it's a theme park

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It's been 200 years. Maybe Maltak is a theme park dedicated to the memory of Dominic Deegan by now.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
gently caress.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I love that what got our protagonists outside the mild edge was not a year-long roadtrip but a magic portal.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Why would you put a sign welcoming people somewhere without a road leading to it? Like they're clearly not on a road, just the middle of nowhere.

Except someone erected a loving sign. At this random spot they just happened to teleport to.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

More texture brushes. Also they are in a place I guess

his tail thing gone in the last panel

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mors Rattus posted:

Why would you put a sign welcoming people somewhere without a road leading to it? Like they're clearly not on a road, just the middle of nowhere.

Except someone erected a loving sign. At this random spot they just happened to teleport to.

H O L L Y W O O D

Also you know how in Lord of the Rings sometimes a character will stop outside a location and announce its name before going on? Since there's no pop-in text so we need the information conveyed diagetically?

Well we can't have Snout speaking since no dialogue, so instead there has to be a sign.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

YF-23 posted:

I love that what got our protagonists outside the mild edge was not a year-long roadtrip but a magic portal.

It really makes the endless travel montages seem worth it, doesn't it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

YF-23 posted:

This comic will have no time skips. Everything must be a 1:1 recreation of SnoutTime. It's only been like, two weeks total since the comic started (I stopped counting).

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

H O L L Y W O O D

Also you know how in Lord of the Rings sometimes a character will stop outside a location and announce its name before going on? Since there's no pop-in text so we need the information conveyed diagetically?

Well we can't have Snout speaking since no dialogue, so instead there has to be a sign.

You nailed it, 100%.
Frankly I'd prefer a Dark Souls style location name popping up.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

You nailed it, 100%.
Frankly I'd prefer a Dark Souls style location name popping up.

You will WISH for another swamp level by the time this is done.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

clockwork chaos posted:

his tail thing gone in the last panel

He probably traced the pose and forgot to put it in

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

YF-23 posted:

Yeah, that annoyed me, too.

An amusing byproduct of Mookie's use of travel sequences to stall for time is that the characters have only spent page upon page walking when they don't have anywhere to go, and that it never actually gets them anywhere.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oh wow they teleported from a vast empty grassland to a completely different vast empty grassland :effort:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So now that they're in Maltak, what are the odds they're about to meet Stonewater and Melna's descendant? Will they be a racist shaman stereotype who tells writes about what an amazing guy Dominic was, or will they be a new momwife for Snout who he wins as his property?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Stonewater/Melna descendants seem like they'd be the most likely, since it would give them a (very flimsy) reason that they could write in Callanian (I think that's what their "English" is called?). Or they just all can because it makes things easier for Snout. Still, given that Stonewater and Melna knew Dominic personally it means that their descendants would be the best link to the legacy so it would still be a justification for their descendants to show up.

All I know is whatever we predict, the outcome will be even stupider and more boring than we expected.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Maltak is one giant nature park, complete with plaques apparently

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'll admit this is moderately interesting, because I said a while back that one possible twist on the "the hero is mute but he can still read and write" thing is to put him in a place where he doesn't understand the language.

Of course I extremely doubt that this will be handled in an interesting way at all.

And also yeah, Mookie has absolutely no loving idea how signs work. You're not gonna walk out into the middle of an empty field and see a big sign that says "Kansas"!!!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
What's even happening? Are those orcish books snout's remembering? Are they following signs in circles? Why are they in the default battleground from DBZ?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've got to hand it to Mookie, he's taking the story to the one place I care about less than the Mild Edge.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Am I correctly remembering that Maltak has sentient vegetables and therefore undercutting his already stupid idea that "orcs are vegetarian :smuggo: dear stupid reader"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FlocksOfMice posted:

What's even happening? Are those orcish books snout's remembering? Are they following signs in circles? Why are they in the default battleground from DBZ?

The last question is easy - that’s just what Maltak looks like unless he has another idea for a panel.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Holy gently caress I just noticed he reused the silhouettes of Snout and Corpsewife. Even something so utterly tiny and simple and basic that should take a competent artist literally half a minute to put down, he used that same amount of time to copy and paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

I've got to hand it to Mookie, he's taking the story to the one place I care about less than the Mild Edge.
Maybe we'll go to Eldariat To Die next.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Am I correctly remembering that Maltak has sentient vegetables and therefore undercutting his already stupid idea that "orcs are vegetarian :smuggo: dear stupid reader"
Correct, there's mobile, animal-like vegetables.