Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

one of the best parts of master and commander is the surround sound. during the action, sure, but also during the calm scenes. the sounds of the water against the hull, the boards creaking, sails flapping. when it’s all around you, it’s so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/DRMovieNews1/status/1350894890494914567

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
imagine wanting to watch a 4-hour superhero movie made by zack snyder

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

vyelkin posted:

The 6 hour 2 part chapo trap house Zach Snyder extravaganza guest starring Leslie Lee.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut has more material wins than BLM or M4A

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Atrocious Joe posted:

dictatorship of the snyder fans

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this garbage looks like a cut scene from a ps2 game. who is this even meant for.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Atrocious Joe posted:

I think there's an amazing 500 page book waiting to be written about how in 21st century America you can't change things that actually matter so you resort to angry mobbing about bullshit cultural nonsense that you can actually change with direct action

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uber_stoat posted:

this garbage looks like a cut scene from a ps2 game. who is this even meant for.

very cool that Blizzard is releasing Diablo 2 patch 1.15 with an additional Act

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

uber_stoat posted:

I hate how Steppenwolf in this one looks like he's made of razorblades.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

uber_stoat posted:

This is meant for people who found WW84 empowering and inspiring.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

More like Dorkseid.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think there's an amazing 500 page book waiting to be written about how in 21st century America you can't change things that actually matter so you resort to angry mobbing about bullshit cultural nonsense that you can actually change with direct action

the snyder cut campaign is interesting because unlike all the reactionary nonsense it's not astroturfed by right-wing commentators. people who wanted a thing self-organised into a years-long campaign with little to no hierarchy, continued despite near-universal negative media coverage, and kept it on the agenda until it happened. anarchists should be vibrating with pleasure at this point.

also gpu box art darkseid is neat. long live gpu box art darkseid.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wait that's supposed to be darksied

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

Stairmaster posted:

when you cry out on your sleep at night it is Darkseid that you see

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

every superhero movie has worse graphics and cinematography than the works of hideo kojima

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

josh04 posted:

the snyder cut campaign is interesting because unlike all the reactionary nonsense it's not astroturfed by right-wing commentators. people who wanted a thing self-organised into a years-long campaign with little to no hierarchy, continued despite near-universal negative media coverage, and kept it on the agenda until it happened. anarchists should be vibrating with pleasure at this point.

also gpu box art darkseid is neat. long live gpu box art darkseid.

It's not WB caved to their demand after fighting against it, they wanted something to advertise why you should get HBOMax and saw that these rubes wanted something and decided to waste millions of more dollars to create half a new movie to be tacked onto a movie that by their own calculation flopped because it only just barely made a billion dollars.

Don't you just love hows rational and efficient capitalism apparently is

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

KomradeX posted:

Absolutely most rational and efficient system ever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah. It is a shittier version of his new updated lovely comic look.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

yeah I've seen that analysis before, basically that neoliberalism stripped away meaningful political choice in exchange for the illusion of consumer choice. sure the democrats and republicans are the same, but you have thirty brands of cheetos to buy, so people leaned hard into identifying with brands and consumer choice as freedom, because political choice was no longer meaningful

the way this was framed when I read it, it was trying to help explain why people went apeshit in lockdown when they could no longer engage in consumer choice, and suddenly not being able to go shopping in person was communism - because neoliberalism trained a generation of people to see consumer choice as freedom

you might not be able to twitter-campaign your way into making a political party less garbage, but you might be able to twitter-campaign your way to a new doritos flavour or an even shittier remake of a hollywood movie

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

vyelkin posted:

yeah I've seen that analysis before, basically that neoliberalism stripped away meaningful political choice in exchange for the illusion of consumer choice. sure the democrats and republicans are the same, but you have thirty brands of cheetos to buy, so people leaned hard into identifying with brands and consumer choice as freedom, because political choice was no longer meaningful

the way this was framed when I read it, it was trying to help explain why people went apeshit in lockdown when they could no longer engage in consumer choice, and suddenly not being able to go shopping in person was communism - because neoliberalism trained a generation of people to see consumer choice as freedom

you might not be able to twitter-campaign your way into making a political party less garbage, but you might be able to twitter-campaign your way to a new doritos flavour or an even shittier remake of a hollywood movie

matt christman made the same point on chapo when the whole mcdonald's szechuan sauce thing was happening

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

KomradeX posted:

It's not WB caved to their demand after fighting against it, they wanted something to advertise why you should get HBOMax and saw that these rubes wanted something and decided to waste millions of more dollars to create half a new movie to be tacked onto a movie that by their own calculation flopped because it only just barely made a billion dollars.

yeah, att has over $10 billion cash on hand, this is probably 100% coming out of just the marketing budget because they have so much money just laying around

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I’ve never understood the critique of neoliberalism having stripped people of political choice. has there been any society where people were given this?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I’ve never understood the critique of neoliberalism having stripped people of political choice. has there been any society where people were given this?

a political choice? yes I think, and in many places and across the ages. however societal elites don't like it when any amount of power is devolved and so attempt to claw it back.

I feel like you see the people have political choice in times of revolution, turmoil, or upheaval. The reason for this isn't that the people are incapable of enacting a political program, but only in these situations are the elites able to be toppled.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I mean you can argue degree, but FDR vs. Hoover or Goldwater vs. LBJ were definitely bigger political choices than Bush vs. Gore, without even getting outside the realm of American presidential elections

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shrike82 posted:

Neoliberalism requires a massive economic underclass of subhuman laborers with their rights and futures under constant siege by capital-holders. Sure, you can work for one of 15 different delivery apps now, but none of them will ever let you own a home, much less retire, because why would they? In a sense, these people are given the "illusion" of choice, but it's all entirely surface level and exists in a culture that is most similar to say, the Egyptian pharaohs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's like the elction of a new Holy Roman Emperor.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

uber_stoat posted:

who is this even meant for.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lanyards, future warcriminals, failchildren, etc.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tubgoat posted:

Lanyards, future warcriminals, failchildren, etc.

the american public, yes

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

maybe this will finally shut these freaks up

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Judakel posted:

nothing will be able to silence ‘true fans’. their alienated, atomized lives are so devoid of meaning, the only thing they have left are the trivial and interchangeable pop cultural events that dominate the 21st century culture industry

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

josh04 posted:

the american public, yes

I may be a failure but I am absolutely nowhere NEAR the income of a failchild.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

IMAX release eh?

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Jan 18, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Judakel posted:

These weirdos have only two modes: Being really loving angry over superhero movie or completely devoting their life to superhero movie.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
what's a good historical account of 19th century labor organizing in SF so I can critically watch Warrior instead of just nerding out over the punch fighting?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

what's a good historical account of 19th century labor organizing in SF so I can critically watch Warrior instead of just nerding out over the punch fighting?

sometimes it's ok to just enjoy the punching and the loving.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

uber_stoat posted:

sometimes it's ok to just enjoy the punching and the loving.

nope can't do it

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

vyelkin posted:

I’ll never understand his cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!
think of it as executing the last remaining public desire for superhero films with brute force