Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

I really wonder why ONE decided to remove escalation of things where most of the S-class were defeated and barely making it to the surface for this current setup.

theyre all going to get owned slightly later instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

This redraw is taking so long and has so much extra poo poo added that everything has lost its punchiness. Nobody is going to remember darkshine finding himself again or garous monster reasoning right before saitama blows him the gently caress out. All the major hits of this arc that stand out in my mind are just landing with a soft plop now

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Garou arc starts exactly when Saitama and Genos get their hero names, it's pretty surreal to think about that. It's a pretty long arc, it lasts just under half the original by the time it's over, but it's close to 2/3s of the remake already and we haven't gotten to the big fight.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Terror Sweat posted:

This redraw is taking so long and has so much extra poo poo added that everything has lost its punchiness. Nobody is going to remember darkshine finding himself again or garous monster reasoning right before saitama blows him the gently caress out. All the major hits of this arc that stand out in my mind are just landing with a soft plop now

at this point fully planning to reread as the arc is nearing the climax, genuinely don't remember where and how everything's been shuffled around. I'm still (hesitantly..) excited to see it, but the actual momentum of the arc is at a dead stop for me bc of all this

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The cool thing about rereading the redraw is that Murata goes back and changes his own version so much it's like you're reading it for the first time again!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I feel a little bad for the publishers who have to sort through that mess. And the people want to buy every volume.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I feel a little bad for the publishers who have to sort through that mess. And the people want to buy every volume.

I believe the Child Emperor fight hadn't been collected into a printed volume yet despite there being like 5 months of redraws. All the recent redraws have been for the latest volume that came out as well.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Death Bot posted:

at this point fully planning to reread as the arc is nearing the climax, genuinely don't remember where and how everything's been shuffled around. I'm still (hesitantly..) excited to see it, but the actual momentum of the arc is at a dead stop for me bc of all this

Despite the dozens of characters and fights, there's actually not much happening.

Almost all the heroes are at the surface, except for Tatsumaki and Drive Knight, who are playing Gradius, and King who is probably also playing Gradius but literally. Genos is also in the sky, jobbing his mechanical heart out, he won't matter. The hostages are all fine, and being cared for by heroes.

Nearly all of the monsters are inside of the Psykos meat network, and will pop out if needed.

Several monsters have come back from extremely thorough deaths, including being killed by Saitama. Some were self resurrecting. Some were ressurected by others. Some just got rewritten to have not died. There's no point in tracking who's dead because who cares.

Psykos is playing calvinball with her superpowers, and has changed from a neuron to a tree to a blow up doll to an airplane. Sure. I'm guessing lamia is next, followed by a casual dining restaurant, and then a giant tongue.

Flashy Flash, Saitama, and Monaco are lost.

Garou is talking to himself under some rocks. He's training to be Spider-Man. I can dig it. But scale rears its ugly head again... the guy struggling under a bunch of rubble is not a credible threat to either of the psychics throwing entire oceans around, even if he wants to be super duper tall.

I can't stand it. Fortunately the ONE version is (occasionally) delivering the tight storytelling I crave. Hell yes, more Garou getting fired from his part time job action.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

oh jay posted:

King's bluff against Golden Sperm is pretty neat too.

Against every monster was cool

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

King locking down Evil Natural Water by simply not making a single attack is one of my favorite moments in the series

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Shugojin posted:

King locking down Evil Natural Water by simply not making a single attack is one of my favorite moments in the series

Haha yes! ENW not doing anything to King because he has no murderous intent due to being a terrified coward is an amazing twist. All of the King stuff is actually a part of the manga that I am looking forward to most.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Bucswabe posted:

Haha yes! ENW not doing anything to King because he has no murderous intent due to being a terrified coward is an amazing twist. All of the King stuff is actually a part of the manga that I am looking forward to most.

It's gonna be 5 issues, redrawn three times and very slow

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man, the pacing is so hosed. I bet if you asked, half the Murata only thread wouldn't even remember who all the main monster antagonists are

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, the murata version is just a bloated spectacle version for me. It sucks that id recommend OPM in a heartbeat, but now its the anime and then ONE version.

MorningMoon posted:

e: six years and one month. I've been waiting for the fireworks factory for 73 months

It really shouldnt take like 8 years to reach the next climax after the alien dude

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I find that if I think about the manga as fanart I get less frustrated with its pacing issues

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, the murata version is just a bloated spectacle version for me. It sucks that id recommend OPM in a heartbeat, but now its the anime and then ONE version.

It really shouldnt take like 8 years to reach the next climax after the alien dude

I've heard people say that the best way to experience OPM is: 1) the first anime season, 2) the manga up to a certain point, then 3) ONE the rest of the way.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The anime, the manga up to the end of the tourney arc (so basically S2 of the anime), then Webcomic all the way.
The real point of diversion starts at the meeting for the raid.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
As pathetic as it may sound, one of the things keeping me going in this pandemic is the excitement from the idea of seeing a Murata-drawn depiction of Silverfang killing Fuerer ugly, Gums, and thousand Black Sperms...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

As pathetic as it may sound, one of the things keeping me going in this pandemic is the excitement from the idea of seeing a Murata-drawn depiction of Silverfang killing Fuerer ugly, Gums, and thousand Black Sperms...

Nothing pathetic about it being one of the things keeping you going. This year's been a shitstorm and a half, and anything good is worth clinging to.

Next year's going to be better, but as long as you aren't putting One Punch Man as your only reason to keep going, it seems like a pretty reasonable way to handle things.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Murata will eventually draw the King ultimate wave cannon once he gets his horny into manageable levels.

And if you're so inclined, his horny doodling may also be a reason to keep going.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Was that Homeless Emperor's God at the end of the newest Murata chapter?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was that Homeless Emperor's God at the end of the newest Murata chapter?

That's what I'm thinking, yeah

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It looks like it, but who knows exactly.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well homeless emperors god looks a lot more like a bunch of layered scar tissue, this one looks more like a burnt husk.

Worst case scenario: its more Orochi. It will never end

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Translation soon.
http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com/fc2-imageviewer/?aid=1&iid=136

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
ONE's technique has gotten so good over time. Seeing some parallels between the Saitama becomes so strong he time travels to become Blast theory and ONE gets so good at being a mangaka that he time travels to become Murata. Maybe the current iteration is ONE's way of rewriting history to stop an infinite timeloop.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Translation up: https://mangadex.org/chapter/1174896/1

Edit: Why doesn't Suiryu recognize Saitama? Another Edit: Really? They only met in the manga version? Wierd!

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 18, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Neat, but very much a transitional chapter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love the Hero Names Victims Association

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

graham cracker posted:

Edit: Why doesn't Suiryu recognize Saitama? Another Edit: Really? They only met in the manga version? Wierd!

Yeah, manga continuity and webcomic branched off pretty hard so they are their own stories at this point.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I dunno where to check on that, but I assumed Suiryu just doesn't recognize Saitama without the wig.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

I dunno where to check on that, but I assumed Suiryu just doesn't recognize Saitama without the wig.

He showed up to save him from the other monsterized martial artists though so he should recognize him from that too. He was in his hero suit at the time and everything!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It'll take like 2 new or rewritten lines to fix it in the manga. I really think all the talk about the stories being completely different is overblown.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has this been the most motivated Saitama has ever been since the start of the story?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Brought To You By posted:

Yeah, manga continuity and webcomic branched off pretty hard so they are their own stories at this point.

I feel like the redraw is going to conclude after the garou arc and this reaffirms that for me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has this been the most motivated Saitama has ever been since the start of the story?

He's very motivated to get a respectful hero name, yes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

graham cracker posted:

But wait, there's more!!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1175674/1

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Lamebot posted:

I feel like the redraw is going to conclude after the garou arc and this reaffirms that for me.

I would consider this extremely unlikely, unless Murata, specifically, has indicated he's done with OPM (which in itself seems unlikely with how much effort he has spent re-doing already released chapters).

In order to conclude the manga in the Garou arc you would either have to cram in, or leave unresolved, the following plot threads that have been opened:
- Genos and the renegade cyborg
- Blast and his whole deal
- Sonic and his whole deal
- Fubuki's character arc with her sister
- Suiryu becoming a hero
- King and Saitama's friendship
- The dark side of the Hero Association
- The Organization and Drive Knight's whole deal
- Is Metal Knight evil, or planning something
- Maybe something to do with costumed heroes/monsters (Pheonix man, Child Emperor, Watchdog Man)

What shame if they ended it so soon...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

10 points to Gryffindor for weaponizing a wall of text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seems even Saitama's getting suspicious.

People beating him on the scene just shouldn't happen ...unless they set things up in advance.