Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Sheitan for wonderful french hillbilly horror.

edit: new page, Pale Door sort of sucks, if you're desperate for western horror go for The Burrowers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I got hold of and am now watching a copy of Terminator 2.....no not that Terminator 2 I’m talking about the Bruno Mattei Terminator 2 (also known as Shocking Dark)
So far it’s like a cheap version of Aliens...which is just more confusing

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's Bruno Mattei for you.

Complete schlock but good fun.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

John Carpenter talking to Robert Rodriguez about his career and work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSlq2yAkyTE

John Carpenter posted:

You had to learn everything. Camera, editing, sound, even the lab.

You had to learn all the aspect. They wanted you to be exposed to it and hopefully you'd fall in love with one aspect of it.

I loved all it all. All of it.

Except sound, sound was grim.
"Ah I'll leave it to someone else."
As someone who's worked primarily as a location sound mixer/boom operator I connect to this on a deep spiritual level.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 17, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

el oso posted:

Saw John Carpenter trending and freaked out until I found out it was just his birthday

A good tweet:
https://twitter.com/letterboxd/status/1350538857930911745

I've never seen Starman, it's on Hulu, so I'm about to rectify that

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Everyone needs to watch The Golden Glove. It's on Shudder. And by everyone I mean weirdos like me who adore hosed up poo poo like Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer, Angst, Deranged, etc.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Have you seen Mandy? If not, watch Mandy. If so, watch Mandy again.

My life’s mantra.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never seen Starman, it's on Hulu, so I'm about to rectify that

Hope you enjoyed it. It's not horror, but it's good. As I recall it's one of the few Carpenter movies that he didn't score, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's very jarringly, noticeably not scored by Carpenter and that's the easiest way to forget it's not a Carpenter film. Hunky himbo Jeff Bridges is completely worth it, of course.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's very jarringly, noticeably not scored by Carpenter and that's the easiest way to forget it's not a Carpenter film.

There’s a Starman theme on his Anthology album; is it not used in the movie?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

david_a posted:

There’s a Starman theme on his Anthology album; is it not used in the movie?

The Starman theme is on Anthology because Carpenter performs it in live shows. He didn't write it, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Everyone needs to watch The Golden Glove. It's on Shudder. And by everyone I mean weirdos like me who adore hosed up poo poo like Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer, Angst, Deranged, etc.

Watched this last night on your recommendation. It's exactly what you say it is so.....yea. If you want some Grade-A misery ala Henry or Angst, check out The Golden Glove.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Watched this last night on your recommendation. It's exactly what you say it is so.....yea. If you want some Grade-A misery ala Henry or Angst, check out The Golden Glove.

Awesome. Yeah it's definitely a movie that requires an asterisk when you recommend it to someone. It's a brutal, unpleasant movie and absolutely not for everyone.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Psycho Goreman is out on the 22nd, has anyone from the UK got a lead on where to grab it? The links they've provided are all North America-based: https://beacons.ai/psychogoreman

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

Hope you enjoyed it. It's not horror, but it's good. As I recall it's one of the few Carpenter movies that he didn't score, though.

Alas, I did not get to watch it yet, I was foiled by compromise, my roommate wanted to watch the football game, and I already made her watch the extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring earlier in the day. I feel like Starman would have been the better option.

:negative:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Yesterday I watched Tokyo Gore Police and Tomie: Unlimited, both of which were incredibly good, Gore Police especially. I streamed both, and quite a few people mentioned that they thought TGP would be terrible, but were pleasantly surprised by how unrelentingly fun and gore-packed it was, definitely not a film to sleep on. T:U was more of a low budget affair, but also worth checking out, especially if you're a fan of the original Junji Ito stories. Tomie is perhaps one more interesting original monsters of the last century imho, easily up there with The Thing, and T:U captures a lot of what makes Tomie fascinating. She has a creepy, bratty, femme fatale quality, mixed with a surprising level of both psychological and body horror. I would definitely recommend checking out both.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Seconding Tokyo Gore Police - as someone who really dislikes anime aesthetics a la Versus, I was very much not looking at it in a generous light from the start. It really seemed like it was trying too hard with the blood fountains and short skirts and chainsaw fights right from the start. Yet after much grumbling and complaining, eventually there was a chair made of a human that sprayed piss all over an enthusiastic club audience and the lovingly pervy gorehound content surpassed the boring horny tryhard anime bullshit. There's some more anime at the end sadly, but inbetween you get an absolutely lovable rampage of gore. Recommended.

Sad I missed Tomie.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I think the amount of anime bullshit is greatly reduced in T:U. I should point out that both films are live action. It's on Tubi for free with ads if you're interested! I don't want to give away too much about the nature of Tomie, but my comparison to The Thing is very purposeful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched the Tremors vs Troops Syfy Original Sand Serpents. I'm not going to bother with a review, because it's just bad in all the boring ways you would imagine the movie would be bad based on that descriptions. But there's one thing that surprised me. You got giant underground monsters, so when they're around the ground shakes. The movie shows the ground is shaking by shaking the camera. So far so good. But they shake the camera wrong. It's not the short quick up and down shaking you would expect to illustrate that the ground shaking. Instead it shakes side to side. And it swings too far side to side, so it takes too long to complete a shake. I never thought I'd see a movie gently caress up shaking the camera.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

married but discreet posted:

Yet after much grumbling and complaining, eventually there was a chair made of a human that sprayed piss all over an enthusiastic club audience

Some scenes you just never forget and that’s one of them. Its great.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you guys are a riot

"oh i love the human furniture piss fetish scene, but ugh, not the tryhard anime edginess"

it's like trekkies trying to convince themselves they're above furries on that geek social hierarchy chart

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched Someone's Watching Me last night and like, its a totally competent 40 year old TV movie that is elevated by well written characters, a good performance from Lauren Hutton, and the mere presence of Adrienne Barbeau. But like with Darkstar what's really glaring is the lack of a Carpenter soundtrack. I feel like Carpenter could go back and score that film and it would suddenly become really good.

I think Memories of an Invisible Man and Darkstar are now the only Carpenter films I haven't seen so I guess I have to get on that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
There's always The Eyes of Laura Mars if anyone wants a Carpenter film that's not a Carpenter film. (He wrote it.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there some 1800s horror TV show that had a trailer come out in the past few months? It's possible I'm thinking of a movie. Either way it's driving me crazy—what might I be thinking of?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

STAC Goat posted:

I watched Someone's Watching Me last night and like, its a totally competent 40 year old TV movie that is elevated by well written characters, a good performance from Lauren Hutton, and the mere presence of Adrienne Barbeau. But like with Darkstar what's really glaring is the lack of a Carpenter soundtrack. I feel like Carpenter could go back and score that film and it would suddenly become really good.

I think Memories of an Invisible Man and Darkstar are now the only Carpenter films I haven't seen so I guess I have to get on that.

I got Someone's Watching Me from the "Twisted Terror" DVD collection like 16 years ago. I've mentioned it to people throughout the years and nobody knows what the gently caress I'm talking about. Glad to see it's gotten some recognition itt.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Is there some 1800s horror TV show that had a trailer come out in the past few months? It's possible I'm thinking of a movie. Either way it's driving me crazy—what might I be thinking of?

The Alienist?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Don’t forget about Black Moon Rising with Tommy Lee Jones and Linda Hamilton. Story and Screenplay by John Carpenter.

https://youtu.be/vgj1BLEqVNo

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you guys are a riot

"oh i love the human furniture piss fetish scene, but ugh, not the tryhard anime edginess"

it's like trekkies trying to convince themselves they're above furries on that geek social hierarchy chart

I personally love anime bullshit, but it's not for everyone :) I do hope people give both films a chance though, despite any misgivings

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

You know what movie pair really well with Butterfly Kisses? Behind the Mask.

Butterfly kisses is to found footage films what Behind the Mask is to slashers.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you guys are a riot

Oh I'm definitely better than any anime fan even without my appreciation of piss chairs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Blitzed through the first 4 episodes of Channel Zero: Candle Cove last night. Surprisingly good and tense so far. My one fault would be there might be too many story strands running at once, so I’m hoping it all pulls together. My other big pull for the series is that it’s gorgeous from a cinematographic point of view. There’s lots of good looking, languid, slow shots, and I’m enjoying it all immensely.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You know what movie pair really well with Butterfly Kisses? Behind the Mask.

Butterfly kisses is to found footage films what Behind the Mask is to slashers.

That is very mean to Behind the Mask

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The_Doctor posted:

Blitzed through the first 4 episodes of Channel Zero: Candle Cove last night. Surprisingly good and tense so far. My one fault would be there might be too many story strands running at once, so I’m hoping it all pulls together. My other big pull for the series is that it’s gorgeous from a cinematographic point of view. There’s lots of good looking, languid, slow shots, and I’m enjoying it all immensely.

Yeah, it's focus kind of derails and it's probably too many episodes long, but it's not bad. Out of all the seasons, I liked season 2 (No-End House) the most.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, it's focus kind of derails and it's probably too many episodes long, but it's not bad. Out of all the seasons, I liked season 2 (No-End House) the most.

No-End House is extremely good, and is at least in the top 3 horror tv show experiences I've had.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's very good and my second favorite creepypasta TV show (first best is the completely ridiculous Two Sentence Horror Stories). They definitely got their money's worth with John Carroll Lynch in No End House.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Has the thread had much to say about The Pale Door on Shudder? I checked it out on a whim this morning expecting to just let it roll in the background, but ended up loving this hella weird little witch flick.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

No-End House is extremely good, and is at least in the top 3 horror tv show experiences I've had.

Candle Cove was fine, but No End House was excellent. It's one of the few pieces of horror media that completely burned a scene into my brain because of how horrific it was, to the point where I had to take a break for a few days before continuing, and I'd love it for just that if the rest wasn't very good.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So I’m trying to remember this horror movie I watched a while back. It’s anthology. Very canadian. Frame story is a woman in an asylum. First segment is this guy who refers to himself as a cocksmith dating this woman who turns out to be in a cult and sacrifices him. Another segment has like this haunted carnival barker.

Anyone know what I’m talking about?

Edit: It’s Night Terror (1989), thanks to Arivia!

fr0id fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 19, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Butcher's Block was my fav of the series

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Fantasy Island sucked a dogs fart. Who thinks of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
I wasn’t even planning on watching a movie tonight but ended up watching Dario Argento’s Opera tonight after seeing it mentioned on Twitter with a screen grab that caught my eye.

Holy drat, what a loving movie! Suspiria, is of course a masterpiece, and Phenomena is just batshit weird, but I still love it. That was about as far as my Argento knowledge went outside of Demons, which he only wrote. But Opera is on another level. A film that is on fire from beginning to end and I just want to shout about it from the rooftops. I loving loved it!

Also, I started the day watching The New York Ripper. (Soooo sleazy!) I think I’ve made a mistake by sleeping on Italian cinema for so long, but I guess it’s time to change that! I would love to hear some recommendations.