Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Klyith posted:

ah, the Merlin Mann definition of minimalism

That was delightful :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Klyith posted:

so, he upgraded from a reasonably powerful invisible PC that should probably just have used underclocking to avoid throttle* into... a fire hazard that uses a PSU that expects active cooling with no case and no fan. doesn't seem like a great idea to me!

Water cooling has a decent lag between higher power use and higher temperatures, so even if he has all those fans set up to ramp speed when the PC is in use, unless he's got a temperature probe hooked to the PSU it's not good enough.

*pretty much any desktop CPU or GPU can trade 10-20% performance for a 50% power reduction

This is a whooooooole lot of design wank about having his flat bottom that is just really stupid. If you added 2 inches of thickness on the sides, in line with the legs, it would still look like a nice minimal table. And then you could fit some normal SFX gear into those areas, and some normal fans rather than the banks of 40mm ones and 1U water cooling. You could even still do water cooling by putting the PC on one side of the table, then have water lines go across to the other side which could be dedicated to fullsize pumps, rads, & fans.

He does acknowledge that the PSU needs active airflow, and there's a lot of air coming through that area, particularly with the plastic strips he's got in as guides. I would never, ever, do what he did, and was surprised that he didn't have that big of a disclaimer about "Do Not Do This" as he shucked the PSU. However, he's clearly a very capable guy, so I guess we'll wait & see.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

well why not posted:

He does acknowledge that the PSU needs active airflow, and there's a lot of air coming through that area, particularly with the plastic strips he's got in as guides.

If those 44mm fans are inaudible, then no, I don't think there is a lot of airflow. While he's got a ton of them, small fans suffer more with reduced RPM than large fans. It's hard to know for sure because he doesn't show any numeric details about the setup like what the fan RPM was; if he only did his garbage bag test at full speed it's not valid. Fans aren't linear, and the garbage bag is testing static pressure more than free air flow.

I don't really know whether the group of fans that are ducting to the PSU are sufficient or insufficient, but from the extreme lack of info I don't think he does either.

well why not posted:

so I guess we'll wait & see.

I mean I don't believe it's going end in flames, as PSUs have overtemp protection and rarely light on fire even when abused. If anything bad happens it'll likely just safely die.

I do think the setup is going to result in reduced lifespan for a number of components, especially the PSU. Stuff is going to be hotter than it would be in normal cases due to the indirect and low airflow. Many things, particularly caps, have less life when hotter. But he's also a youtuber who probably doesn't care about keeping the same components for years.

And imo it's a bad example for a DIY channel to make stuff that needs "do not attempt this" disclaimers without more info. And mostly I think there are much better ways to do it, that I think would still look great without doing something that's an unqualified bad idea.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Dennis is a monster and I love him

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a stupid YouTube setup, no one is ever going to replicate these meme builds. There's no need to scrutinize it heavily.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah I doubt even 1% of his audience has the skills, resource or willing to make that thing. It's presented as instructional but nearly no one would/should make it. It's a neat project, but ultimately a flex like most YT projects. His BBC voice and chill vibes make it feel more like a lesson than it really is.

Klyith posted:

And imo it's a bad example for a DIY channel to make stuff that needs "do not attempt this" disclaimers without more info. And mostly I think there are much better ways to do it, that I think would still look great without doing something that's an unqualified bad idea.

Fully agree with this, he should've stopped the video and said "do not take apart power supplies" IMO.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also didn't he drop like $500+ on Noctua fans on that build. Nobody's going to do that.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Strapping all your components to a table that’s a giant metal passive heat sink, however...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
tl;dr I'm only disappointed because that guy did repurposed laptop projects and I thought those were great aesthetic design, usefully instructional for a diy, and admirable for a way to recycle / reuse a busted laptop.

Alas, the content machine demands that you top yourself every week.

Romes128 posted:

Also didn't he drop like $500+ on Noctua fans on that build. Nobody's going to do that.

He got em free, sponsored by noctua.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Klyith posted:

so, he upgraded from a reasonably powerful invisible PC that should probably just have used underclocking to avoid throttle* into... a fire hazard that uses a PSU that expects active cooling with no case and no fan. doesn't seem like a great idea to me!

Water cooling has a decent lag between higher power use and higher temperatures, so even if he has all those fans set up to ramp speed when the PC is in use, unless he's got a temperature probe hooked to the PSU it's not good enough.

*pretty much any desktop CPU or GPU can trade 10-20% performance for a 50% power reduction

This is a whooooooole lot of design wank about having his flat bottom that is just really stupid. If you added 2 inches of thickness on the sides, in line with the legs, it would still look like a nice minimal table. And then you could fit some normal SFX gear into those areas, and some normal fans rather than the banks of 40mm ones and 1U water cooling. You could even still do water cooling by putting the PC on one side of the table, then have water lines go across to the other side which could be dedicated to fullsize pumps, rads, & fans.

Oh hell yeah, when he started hacking that PSU apart my balls crawled up into my abdomen.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

It’s okay if there’s an issue with the PSU he can just diagnose it by shorting it with a paper clip

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

the corona quid posted:

It’s okay if there’s an issue with the PSU he can just diagnose it by shorting it with a paper clip

...you don't?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Pretty great watching linus tell his wife that he has to buy $50k worth of gamestop stock

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This title... god drat.

Steve is super done with NZXT.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don’t watch Bitwits stuff anymore but his video saying he’s getting divorced was super sad. Guy looks like he hasn’t been eating and you can tell it hit him hard.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

K8.0 posted:

This title... god drat.

Steve is super done with NZXT.

I hadn’t heard about that, but that is amazing how poo poo that design is. I do boards, pcie included, and it seems completely irresponsible to not have a large cutout of the 12v plane around any screw holes. Really the hole should also have plated areas (including in the hole but I guess that would raise the cost per board) with the holes larger diameter than the included screws so it doesn’t grind thru the material. The screws should just engage to whatever the pca is being mounted to.

Stuff like this is why cheaper manufacturers like nzxt give me the willies.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

priznat posted:

I hadn’t heard about that, but that is amazing how poo poo that design is. I do boards, pcie included, and it seems completely irresponsible to not have a large cutout of the 12v plane around any screw holes. Really the hole should also have plated areas (including in the hole but I guess that would raise the cost per board) with the holes larger diameter than the included screws so it doesn’t grind thru the material. The screws should just engage to whatever the pca is being mounted to.

I'm not really sure why NZXT has gotten any reasonable sense of goodwill from the community, the RGB and fan controller poo poo they released under the "CAM" software suite basically bricking and making booting with most of the AIO's a crapshoot situation. The Shift and ShiftX both being 2x the price of any competitor and having some of the worst airflow and performance, along with another absolute dogshit bottom of the barrel riser cable.

NZXT is and will always be a cheap brand.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

nerdrum posted:

I'm not really sure why NZXT has gotten any reasonable sense of goodwill from the community, the RGB and fan controller poo poo they released under the "CAM" software suite basically bricking and making booting with most of the AIO's a crapshoot situation. The Shift and ShiftX both being 2x the price of any competitor and having some of the worst airflow and performance, along with another absolute dogshit bottom of the barrel riser cable.

NZXT is and will always be a cheap brand.

Getting into custom cabling and being pretty lax on quality and testing seems like a recipe for allllll sorts of liability issues. To say nothing of rolling your own AIOs, kind of want those to not have any unforeseen issues!

Good to know they have some actual serious issues rather than just my vague suspicions. Thermaltake is another one I usually looked at a bit shifty-like, but I have nothing to back that up and I’m not dialed into the scene to know what dodgy stuff they are up to.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Getting into custom cabling and being pretty lax on quality and testing seems like a recipe for allllll sorts of liability issues. To say nothing of rolling your own AIOs, kind of want those to not have any unforeseen issues!

Good to know they have some actual serious issues rather than just my vague suspicions. Thermaltake is another one I usually looked at a bit shifty-like, but I have nothing to back that up and I’m not dialed into the scene to know what dodgy stuff they are up to.

Thermaltake has been accused of copying case designs from Fractal and Caselabs a couple years ago. Google it, a ton of stuff shows up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Romes128 posted:

Thermaltake has been accused of copying case designs from Fractal and Caselabs a couple years ago. Google it, a ton of stuff shows up.

I already wasn't buying their stuff due to just the hunch they sucked, but good to have those confirmed!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Romes128 posted:

Did they at least copy good designs well?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Did they at least copy good designs well?

So well everyone called them out on it.

Really though, I don't know about the quality of the copies. It was a little before my time in PC building. From what I've read it was around 2015.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Thermaltake is another one I usually looked at a bit shifty-like, but I have nothing to back that up and I’m not dialed into the scene to know what dodgy stuff they are up to.

Thermaltake sources stuff from random chinese factories and has an entirely random standard of quality. Some of their stuff is absolutely fine. Some of their stuff is pretty poor. And some of it is this:

OTOH when the worst of the PSU crunch was happening last year I was looking at available product and found that thermaltake's gold toughpower PSUs were reviewed quite well and were a pretty good buy. If you ever find yourself looking at a thermaltake product, try to just mentally eliminate the brand name entirely. You are looking at a ███████████ product, can you find reviews for that specific product? If so you have an informed decision, if not maybe don't buy it.

Romes128 posted:

Everybody copies case designs. Fractal started out with some heavy inspiration from Antec designs, but nobody said boo about it because Antec wasn't popular anymore. Thermaltake has done some pretty shameless copies, but so have other people. There's only so many ways to make cases.

Thermaltake cases are just very weird in that they have some genuinely good stuff in their discount bin, but the cases that are original to Thermaltake are either extremely niche or terrible.

In conclusion, thermaltake is a land of contrast.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lmao is that a cig lighter and a cupholder for a 5.25” drive bay, good lord.

It’s like the old tech support legend of someone using their optical drive tray as a cupholder but productized, plus smoking.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

priznat posted:

Cheap they may be, but this is a $350 case

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Cheap they may be, but this is a $350 case

what

Goddamn I thought this was some cheap ripoff of the corsair tiny case thingie with the riser etc. That’s madness, buy a phanteks or something!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

priznat posted:

what

Goddamn I thought this was some cheap ripoff of the corsair tiny case thingie with the riser etc. That’s madness, buy a phanteks or something!

Leaving aside the... subject of discussion, w/r/t build quality, the the NZXT H1 is actually one of the best SFF cases out there - especially if you want the small form factor, but don't want to trouble yourself with the frustration and work that normally comes with SFF anything. It's as plug and play as it gets with the built in PSU and AIO cooler, and it's a legitimately great design/idea/case.

Shame about the whole 'catches on fire because it was built by idiots and cheapskates' thing.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah. Note that GN actually likes the case. Pretty much all reviewers like the case.

It's more the fact that there's this huge glaring flaw which could cause property damage or worse, and NZXT is dragging their feet on fixing the actual issue. Just giving people nylon screws doesn't fix the issue. They really need to source new extender cables.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
NZXT's problem here isn't being cheap, it's being arrogant. They don't want to admit how big a fuckup their riser is and was hoping steve would just do the first video and then go away.

priznat posted:

Lmao is that a cig lighter and a cupholder for a 5.25” drive bay, good lord.

it's a "automotive accessory power and cupholder"!

(also the "cupholder" has a removable dish so you could use it as an ashtray)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ErL39wqO-c

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That’s amazing, laff.

Good on Steve for putting the (nylon?) screws to em. That kind of reaction they had is worse than the fuckup in the first place and should cost them customers. If they had a proper apology, recall, and fix for it everyone could just move forward. I wonder if they crunched the numbers on it and felt a recall would be too spendy or were just plain dickheads about it and didn’t care about potential backlash.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Romes128 posted:

I don’t watch Bitwits stuff anymore but his video saying he’s getting divorced was super sad. Guy looks like he hasn’t been eating and you can tell it hit him hard.

huge win for his soon to be ex-wife

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well why not posted:

yeah, we only saw so much on the videos but even then she just seemed to be humouring him

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

well why not posted:

looks like she's already his ex-wife by the wording of their announcements

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is Bitwit the who calls his wife wifeysauce? Or is that a different one

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is Bitwit the who calls* his wife wifeysauce? Or is that a different one

Called*

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

priznat posted:

That’s amazing, laff.

Good on Steve for putting the (nylon?) screws to em. That kind of reaction they had is worse than the fuckup in the first place and should cost them customers. If they had a proper apology, recall, and fix for it everyone could just move forward. I wonder if they crunched the numbers on it and felt a recall would be too spendy or were just plain dickheads about it and didn’t care about potential backlash.

Probably the latter and that's a damned shame. I already have an H500, but poo poo like this makes me not want to touch anything from NZXT with a 10-foot pole.

Also, I love it when Steve gets all ranty. Always a nice change from the usual vids.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He probably kept doing his Asian minstrel show in bed. God those Lyle videos are insufferable and of course they are his most popular.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
The most popular one has a 174 comment thread full of chuds defending racism and it's just there, hanging out, not getting deleted.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Linus nuked a $2000 motherboard this week :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wibble posted:

Linus nuked a $2000 motherboard this week :(

Somehow I'm entirely unsurprised by this development. Was a paperclip involved?