Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Peace is but a memory.

In the wake of the Noble Faction’s occupation of Heimdallr, civil war has broken out across Erebonia. The provincial armies, loyal to the aristocracy and the Four Great Houses, have claimed many of the nation’s great cities in the name of the Noble Alliance. The Imperial Army, called back from the four corners of the Empire, has only just begun its sweeping counterattack.

After Rean managed to escape Trista with Celine and Valimar, he awakens in the mountains near his hometown uncertain what fate befell his friends, who bravely threw themselves in harm’s way to buy him time to flee.

Though the road will not be an easy one, Rean decides to take up his sword again, journeying across Erebonia with his Divine Knight, Valimar, in search of his friends from Class VII and a way to end the conflict before its price becomes far too dear…

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki II) is the twelfth game in the Legend of Heroes series, the seventh game in the Trails sub-series, the second game of the Cold Steel quadrilogy, and Aidios only knows where it fits if you count that the original Legend of Heroes was itself part of the Dragon Slayer series, which dates back to the early 1980s. The Trails games, starting with 2004's excellent Trails in the Sky, are widely considered some of the best games ever made by Nihon Falcom, and some of the strongest JRPGs being released today. I for one have been having a great time playing them. From the previous LP:

Let's Play Trails of Cold Steel posted:

The main draw of the series, especially the Trails incarnations, is a strong attention to detail in worldbuilding and narrative development that most RPGs don't even try to match. Most NPCs are named and have their own small stories and interactions with one another, constantly offering new dialogue as the game progresses (which has the knock-on effect of making localization extremely long and arduous). The larger beats of grand conspiracies and nations clashing with one another are still there, but presented in an unhurried manner that allows tensions to build over time without also feeling like you're just spinning in place the whole time. Throw in a charming cast of characters and occasional weird anime shenanigans and you have something pretty drat compelling.

I'm once again playing the PC version blind, and am joined again by Sibyl (forums name secretly best girl). These games are VERY LONG and the current plan is about an hour and a half per video, usually weekly. It's still going to take a good while, so please lean back and relax as we attempt to resolve this anime crisis.

Previous SA Trails LPs:

Full Playlist
Trails of Cold Steel Recap

201. Cat's Out of the Bag
202. Dubious Coping Mechanisms
203. Snow Problem

204. Ape Escape 2
205. News You Can Use
206. The Perfect Disguise
207. Rendezvous at Point D
208. This Old House
209. Drei Drakkhen
210. FLAG GET

211. Study Buddies
212. Second Wind
213. Wind Chill
214. Drafty Old House
215. Kind Gust-ures
216. Winds of Change
217. A Hill of Beans

218. Fall Into Tea's Embrace
219. Castle Crashers
220. Ape Escape: On the Loose
221. Cat Quest
222. Burning Man
223. Rean Laughs
224. Of Fish-al Business
225. A Fine Proposition

226. Run-of-the-Mill Sob Story
227. Arcane Awakening

228. The Passing of the Hat
229. Searching for Friends
230. Probably Not a Spy
231. Explosive Fishing with Demon Prince Rean
232. Good News & Bad News
233. Biggerrr Trrrouble
234. A Major Victory

235. Indeed, 'twas I!
236. Video Killed the Radio Star
237. *agitated horse noises*
238. The Spiegelway Method
239. Roer Tour
240. Sweet Dreams, Pussycats II
241. The Last Express
242. Robot Rumpus

243. Wangan Midday
244. Don't Worry, Be Millium
245. Lost & Found
246. The Beautiful Turnabout
247. Life Goes On
248. Larts & Scrafts
249. Lava Reef Zone
250. Northern Lightning
251. Fast & Furious

252. Rude Awakening
253. Girls & Ghasts
254. Rex Treks
255. Watchglower
256. A Musical Adventure
257. Castle Crashers
258. The Completionists' Folly
259. A Wretched Piece of Work
260. The Lions, the Witch and George Nome
261. School Rumble

262. You CAN Go Home Again
263. Guardian Force
- Bonus: The Remaining Dorm Events
264. Overtrained
265. Land of Contrasts
266. Inglorious Serpent
267. Anton's Overflowing Passion
268. Model Name Oz74
269. The Phantom Thief and the Steel Knight
270. The Behemoth and the Trap Master
271. The Almighty Conflagration
272. The Awakener and the Abyssal Witch
273. The Governor's New Suit
274. Roll Call

275. Hometown Hero
276. Lakelord Superstar
277. 1v7
278. Corridors & Cryptids
279. A Hollow Trial (CS2 End)
- Final: More Victory Quotes & Closing Thoughts

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

(probably not coming at this point, let's be real)

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 24, 2022

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

201. Cat's Out of the Bag

Still reeling from everything that happened, Rean Schwarzer finds himself in an orange sort of mood.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 18, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ground floor, unlike last time! Thanks for continuing to do these. It does my heart good to see cool people liking cool things. This is easily my favorite game of the series, but different people have different opinions.

~Other outfits 2 is, I believe, the one with the single greatest bonus.

~A lot of people really don't like the way this game begins/the last game ended, but personally, I adore the contrast between last game having a flashforward "how did we get here" sequence followed by a long, slow intro, and this game smashing you in the face with "I was bewildered. I was impatient."

~"I didn't lose. It was a plot loss." :allears:

~I don't understand how an orbment charging station heals you when you don't have a healing orbment. But.... don'tthinkaboutit.

~He's definitely gaining CP from his Force quartz. The color is different, but it's not as dark as it was for some dumb reason.

~ "Funicular" is a real word! And it was used (very!) correctly, somehow. From Google: A cable railroad, especially one on a mountainside, in which ascending and descending cars are counterbalanced.

~This is BS of me trying to explain it, but my best guess w/r/t Rean's one strap: Something like a compression sleeve.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It begins!
  • Aw, you didn't go with my suggestion to take the bonus mira and sepith. Prepare to be strapped for supplies for much of the game! :v:
  • And along those lines, you will be wanting the Extra poo poo Free DLC packs at some point. Probably not all the Zeram Powders and Capsules, but some. (Even for the most overpowered bosses I only needed to throw around one or two.)
  • Crafts cost more CP in this game because frankly they were spammable in CS1 with the tools you had. CS3 made the average cost more expensive still, so clearly they're still very good in CS2.
  • While Celine is in theory the more knowledgeable party here, Rean's very right to call her out for obscurantism when he'd been the prospective Awakener for months.
  • "Are we next to Ymir?" I'm guessing they would have put a whole CS1 dungeon here in the cancelled intermission if not for reasons of budget.
  • Eh, Yun Ka-Fai isn't the only master of Eight Leaves One Blade. We've already seen several others in prior games; they get called Divine Blades for expertise in at least one form of the school. Yun Ka-Fai gets called Master because he's got that in all forms.
  • Celine and Elise are both voiced by Kira Buckland. Which makes the juxtaposition of the two roles back-to-back kinda funny.
  • This is not Duvalie's first appearance, she first showed up in Trails to Azure which runs concurrent with the events of CS2.
  • McBurn is a fashion disaster and is one of my three favorite characters debuting in CS2. (The others are Altina and Mx Rarely-Appearing-In-This-Game.)
  • I cannot think of a funicular now without conjuring up "Funiculì, Funiculà". Can we get Matt Mercer to sing it in his Prince Olivert voice?
  • Machias uses the carbine shotgun, and now that you mention it I don't think the longer model ever shows up beyond the mantelpiece.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Veryslightlymad posted:

~He's definitely gaining CP from his Force quartz. The color is different, but it's not as dark as it was for some dumb reason.

After the video we checked the tape and in stills, when we could zoom in for comparison, yes, you can tell one set of numbers is an incredibly weak mint green.

This is probably gonna gently caress with me for a while and I hate it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Thanks for carrying on with this. Really looking forward to seeing your reactions to stuff later in this game!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cold Steel II is better than the first game in almost every way. Except the ways where it's worse.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hwurmp posted:

Cold Steel II is better than the first game in almost every way. Except the ways where it's worse.

This is true.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Because of the Max Bonding Points, all the options will be available for the final bonding choice. The series specifically does pretty much a reset after each game, so you aren't locked into the possible choices picked from the previous game.
- The Eisengard Range is along the northern edge of Erebonia. Like in real life, mountains are good borders in videogames. The sign was in the Roer area, on the road to the mine.
- It didn't. All Rean's money, accessories, sepith, books fell off the mountain and were lost.
- That's a generous amount of Zeram Capsules. I found one (1) in my completionist playthrough. And I spent it on the bonus boss.
- Yeah, I'm not sure what Celine expects Rean to do about hiding Valimar. Spend two days piling rocks around it?
- You wanted the cat to talk? Well, that finger on the monkey's paw curled. She will not shut up now.
- There could be a valid reason for this mountain to have orbment charging stations on it.
- The battle lines were re-recorded for CS 2. Rean's VA wanted the "Azure Flames..." to be softer, but the audio mix did not take that into account so the first part is drowned out.
- I like cranky/sarcastic Rean. It's a lot more interesting than bland Rean, and infinitely more interesting than generic inspirational-yet-substance-free speech Rean.
- I completely forgot about Emma being able to unlock doors.
- Filling out the monster guide was only useful for an achievement in CS 1. In CS 2, you get a Master quartz as the reward, so it is worthwhile. The important thing to remember is getting all the bosses. Anything else you can get later.
- The game actually gives you exactly enough Battle Scopes to scan all enemies on the mountain including the boss.
- Rean landing near Ymir makes a lot of sense, as he would instinctively think of home as a safe place, so through their link, a remote, hidden location which is relatively close to home would be an ideal spot.
- I'll say that Rean isn't supposed to be acting rationally right now, which is why he's taking on fights he shouldn't be taking on.
- Alisa's new outfit kinda reminds me of the CS 1 stage costume. Maybe it's just the bare shoulders, black hair decorations and prominent use of white in the costume.
- I bought Fie's CS 1 costume DLC because I hate her stupid outfit in CS 2, which doesn't make sense on any level. Unfortunately, it's not the creepiest outfit in the game.
- No, Celine is not shy about talking anymore. At all.
- I get the impression that Alfin's blatant comments about sister incest get automatically deleted before reaching the conscious part of Rean's mind.

NGDBSS posted:

It begins!
[list][*]Aw, you didn't go with my suggestion to take the bonus mira and sepith. Prepare to be strapped for supplies for much of the game! :v:
[*]And along those lines, you will be wanting the Extra poo poo Free DLC packs at some point. Probably not all the Zeram Powders and Capsules, but some. (Even for the most overpowered bosses I only needed to throw around one or two.)

Totally doable without those, even in Nightmare. Especially doable on Normal. The biggest loss is the 200 of all color sepith from not reaching level 70 by the end of the first game.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Totally doable without those, even in Nightmare. Especially doable on Normal. The biggest loss is the 200 of all color sepith from not reaching level 70 by the end of the first game.
I meant exactly what I said. :colbert: That stuff isn't strictly necessary, but is extremely helpful to avoid tedium or frustration later on.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You should check out the Settings menu, there's a very nice setting that you can set so you can do stuff like open chests while Active Voice is happening.

The Zoom In/Out buttons are, as you have noticed, a bit buggy in this PC port and trigger every frame (or so) instead of once per press. This seems to have been introduced when implementing the keyboard controls, from what I've gathered; not sure why it's broken here when it was fine in CS1. In practice it's not a huge deal and only noticeable in the audio trigger sound though, but it's on my list nonetheless.

Also I must point out something about the intro sequence. Here's what it is in the Japanese version of the game -- watch about 40 seconds starting from 1:05.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

- I bought Fie's CS 1 costume DLC because I hate her stupid outfit in CS 2, which doesn't make sense on any level. Unfortunately, it's not the creepiest outfit in the game.

Not the CS2 DLC? Neither of Fie's are particularly good, but of the two... Well, different strokes. The only DLC look I actively like is Elliot's in CS 2, which is hands down his most flattering look.

I also have no idea what you're thinking of that's a creepier outfit, so I assume I'm just deliberately memory holing something, or you're talking about the White Rabbit suit, which was in CS1 anyhow.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Also, can I just say: we are not far ahead of the recording yet, do not spoil, but my biggest question is what the hell are bonding events going to look like in a war? Will we have a new home base each chapter? How much will the cast be front-loaded while we re-recruit folks? Are we somehow gonna return to Thors once per chapter just to see the radio station and club life?

This is my largest mystery going into CSII, everything else I can take wild guesses at based on plot.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- The game gives you EXACTLY enough battle scopes to scan everything on your way to Ymir. You have the opportunity to return to the Eisengard path much later on in the game and scan the ordinary critters, but if you failed to scan the Magic Knight, that was your last chance this episode.

- You actually have it backwards regarding the way the new battle voices sound "lower". In CS1, a programming issue in the game required the English voice samples to have the exact length of the Japanese voice samples, so the English VA's were forced to say them much faster and some of them may have been sped up by the audio engineer to get them to fit. In CS2, that limitation is gone, so all the voice samples (all of which have been re-recorded) sound more evenly paced.

quote:

"If you're marrying your sister, I'm disowning you."

You really should read that Drama CD transcript on the site, just so you can acknowledge later how extremely wrong you are here. :P

Veryslightlymad posted:

I also have no idea what you're thinking of that's a creepier outfit, so I assume I'm just deliberately memory holing something, or you're talking about the White Rabbit suit, which was in CS1 anyhow.

He's probably talking about Altina's.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 18, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy posted:

- You actually have it backwards regarding the way the new battle voices sound "lower". In CS1, a programming issue in the game required the English voice samples to have the exact length of the Japanese voice samples, so the English VA's were forced to say them much faster and some of them may have been sped up by the audio engineer to get them to fit. In CS2, that limitation is gone, so all the voice samples (all of which have been re-recorded) sound more evenly paced.

ILLBACKYOUUP

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Be sure to get a few more Battle Scopes once the store opens. There are at least two... maybe three bosses which will need scanning.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Not the CS2 DLC? Neither of Fie's are particularly good, but of the two... Well, different strokes. The only DLC look I actively like is Elliot's in CS 2, which is hands down his most flattering look.

You need to buy the whole CS 2 casual costumes as one package instead of picking and choosing costumes from CS 1, and I didn't feel like paying something like $15 for DLC costumes. Although I will admit to getting the Unspeakable Costumes. Fie's CS 2 casual looks largely similar to the CS 1 casual in any case.

Erpy is right about who I'm thinking of.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Also, can I just say: we are not far ahead of the recording yet, do not spoil, but my biggest question is what the hell are bonding events going to look like in a war? Will we have a new home base each chapter? How much will the cast be front-loaded while we re-recruit folks? Are we somehow gonna return to Thors once per chapter just to see the radio station and club life?

This is my largest mystery going into CSII, everything else I can take wild guesses at based on plot.

If you really want to know... the spoilers aren't big, but I'm tagging them anyway. I'm not going to answer your questions about where the events take place or about Thors.

I believe that everyone in Class VII gets the same amount of bonding events (... five...). While recruiting is taking place, some characters will have one in a chapter, others will not. Those recruited last have two in one free day, with their second bonding event locked behind seeing their first bonding event.

Unrelated, not long ago I was checking out how Tokyo Xanadu does that, with its chapter-staggered recruiting, and everyone gets 3 events, except, Sora and Asuka, who get 4 each. But I guess that's likely because they're the only party members you have until Chapter 3 is finished, but bonding events become available in Chapter 2.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

END ME SCOOB posted:

Without spoiling, naw, it works very logically.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
what part of

wasn't clear

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nah, that was a legit reply for people with questions which didn't ruin a thing for me, I'm not gonna flip over that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Not to say it's actually good, but Fie's outfit does make a degree of sense if you're aware of what the other notable young Jaeger (not appearing in this game) wears. It turns out Jaeger corps are really bad at raising kids and discouraging extremely silly clothing choices.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lord Koth posted:

Not to say it's actually good, but Fie's outfit does make a degree of sense if you're aware of what the other notable young Jaeger (not appearing in this game) wears. It turns out Jaeger corps are really bad at raising kids and discouraging extremely silly clothing choices.

That's a Thermian Argument, and even by the standards of Thermian Arguments, that's a really bad one. But perhaps we should put a pin in this until it's actually more topical.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 19, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like her obligatory ninja scarf

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Fun fact, Fie's jacket in this game matches the general style and color scheme of the other two Zephyr members jackets, so she probably swung by the dorm after CS1 ended and grabbed her old jacket.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That's a Thermian Argument, and even by the standards of Thermian Arguments, that's a really bad one. But perhaps we should put a pin in this until it's actually more topical.

Oh screw off. You're the one who typed out "makes no sense on any level" which, by the way, includes art direction - and yeah, it does fit with preexisting art design choices. That's not some "you can't criticize the outfit" line, because whether they're terrible choices or not is an entirely separate argument.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

99% of sketchy JRPG outfits could be fixed merely by adding tights or a unitard

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Also catching up on the recap:
- Arge, selge, and rege correspond to meter, 100 meters, and centimeters respectively. So not perfectly aligned with standard metric, but pretty close.
- Gale is so drat good the CP cost just keeps going up.
- I believe scans overall work based on number of hits on an enemy, and the number you need is heavily reduced if it's a boss. You can get full scans on a boss by beating on them for long enough, but enemies require a lot of work.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cyouni posted:

It never went up to the point that it wasn't always my go-to though.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Level 1 Thief posted:

please lean back and relax as we attempt to resolve this anime crisis.

General reminder to everyone: please chill!

To open up Things I Was Wrong About - CS2 Edition, XSEED actually did release Xanadu Next and the Zwei games after this one. It's been only ports of existing translations since Zwei 2 though. (They have some unannounced titles due out this year, so maybe?)

Veryslightlymad posted:

~A lot of people really don't like the way this game begins/the last game ended, but personally, I adore the contrast between last game having a flashforward "how did we get here" sequence followed by a long, slow intro, and this game smashing you in the face with "I was bewildered. I was impatient."

I think it works really well! Like, nobody's going to think Class VII is actually in mortal peril between games, but it's still a very effectively tense situation. Depositing Rean somewhere else a month later helps maintain some of the mystery and an opportunity to shuffle around the status quo without it being too egregious of a timeskip, and still allows a fairly calm tutorial area without diffusing too much of the tension. I'm very pro-cliffhanger on this one.

NGDBSS posted:

It begins!
  • Aw, you didn't go with my suggestion to take the bonus mira and sepith. Prepare to be strapped for supplies for much of the game! :v:
  • And along those lines, you will be wanting the Extra poo poo Free DLC packs at some point. Probably not all the Zeram Powders and Capsules, but some. (Even for the most overpowered bosses I only needed to throw around one or two.)

I think it should be alright! Worst case scenario, if sixty Zerams are somehow not enough to cheese past bad equipment, I can always shell out real money for an extra 27 shining pom baits. Hell, that could be a whole terrible video by itself!

- Yeah, I'm not sure what Celine expects Rean to do about hiding Valimar. Spend two days piling rocks around it?
- You wanted the cat to talk? Well, that finger on the monkey's paw curled. She will not shut up now.

I suppose this is all true to how cats really would act if they could talk. "Hey do the thing I wanted hey no do this other thing instead hey hey heyyyy how dare you"

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Also I must point out something about the intro sequence. Here's what it is in the Japanese version of the game -- watch about 40 seconds starting from 1:05.

Hahaha, wow. Guess I know which audio track wins for speedruns.

Erpy posted:

You really should read that Drama CD transcript on the site, just so you can acknowledge later how extremely wrong you are here. :P

Returning Home posted:

Baron Schwarzer: What's it been? Three years since she found out he was adopted? Takes me back to how she was always like this before then.

Lady Schwarzer: It would certainly be a lot for any young lady to take in at once... If only the two of them would get married! Then we wouldn't need to worry about any of this.

WELP.

Lord Koth posted:

It is very impressive how the goals of "easy to move in" and "cool and edgy" collide to accomplish neither.

Hwurmp posted:

99% of sketchy JRPG outfits could be fixed merely by adding tights or a unitard

I dunno if it'd work in this particular case, but there's a few recent Falcom characters who could definitely use that. And I'm not even including Dana, holy maiden of the Boobstrap Kingdom.

Cyouni posted:

CottonWolf posted:

It never went up to the point that it wasn't always my go-to though.

the gale of Gales will continue until further notice

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 23, 2021

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
To be honest, in CS3 I found myself using Rean's Gale skill a lot less often than his Crescent Flash craft. 80 CP is very expensive and while it does good damage and has great AOE, I found myself favoring good Break damage and half the CP cost over more HP damage and a paltry +5 AT Delay effect.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Erpy posted:

80 CP is very expensive

lmao they upped it to 80 CP after this?!

edit: holy poo poo that's not a joke, how absurd

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 23, 2021

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

lmao they upped it to 80 CP after this?!

edit: holy poo poo that's not a joke, how absurd
You can spam 30-40 CP crafts with some setup in CS3. There's a bunch more poo poo going on there and presumably CS4, and the games absolutely want you to use that stuff to grind encounters beneath your heel.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's really not a big deal, either. They buff Force again, so 80 CP is really chump change somehow.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's really not a big deal, either. They buff Force again, so 80 CP is really chump change somehow.

Yeah. There are things you can do to make it cost 100 CP and it still pays for itself if you're spec'd into CP recovery.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

202. Dubious Coping Mechanisms

In which Rean attempts to find a balance between his home life, his game systems, and his self-loathing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A horrible monster, thank goodness

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
You might have missed it, but there is a general goods store.

Rean's headpatting days have only begun.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ymir Tour
- I'm just going to highlight Rean's comment for later. He'll let Celine off because she "genuinely seems to regret what she did" and no one came "to any harm".
- Fishing spots you find now remain on the map for later use. They're easy enough to find if you hug the edges of areas.
- There is less urgency to grab "part of a set" items immediately.
- Legram is similarly messed up in regards to Laura, and she is similarly dense about it. I think that it must be some sort of mind-protecting disassociation.
- Alfin can, at times, actually be sympathetic and tolerable when not with Elise. The problem is that she is extremely tiresome when with Elise and she's usually with Elise.
- Rean no longer is "Average" at every single dish. He's the same as everyone else now, with varying levels of skill. Cooking is no longer "Rean & X", it's just "X"
- This game you can make additional colors of Liquid!
- There's nothing to miss in the prologue, other than scanning bosses.

Hot Springs Suffering
- I'm sure you won't forget this scene with Rean blaming himself and feeling inadequate (and Elise pointing out that others care for him as much as he cares for others), but I'm going to put an asterisk on it for later.
- How to put this... if Rean (or anyone, really) didn't wear a towel - even when he thinks he's going to be bathing alone, that would definitely make at least one scene a lot more uncomfortable.
- Machias and Fie definitely were not smiling, but just roll with it.
- "Wow, you got there fast." I wish. You'll wish.
- This is, thank Satan, the worst Elise/Alfin/Rean scene in the entire game.

Uh-oh a prologue boss monster
- Yes, you can get Battle Scopes and things at the store.
- The ARCUS was a prototype, and "Class VI" and Class VII did help field-test it in real-world conditions, so I think it is somewhat plausible that Reinford released a newer version to the general public, with newer master quartz - in a similar way to how the Sky games got upgraded orbments after FC as well. This could also explain why some MQ's were adjusted. It's possible that the older version of Force could have had long-term endurance issues, so a less powerful version was released which wouldn't break.
- There are some really good recipes in this game. Later on, you can get things which give +50% STR for one turn, or +50% ATS for one turn, which are useful for dropping +50% power, 200 CP S-Crafts.
- As I said, you don't really need the extra money/sepith options. I'm doing a Nightmare playthrough and didn't take that, still doing fine, aside from one rear end in a top hat of a Monster Extermination quest (G---- S------ G), but I eventually took care of that one too.
- The people modeling weapons and equipment took great care. Neithardt's sword was surprisingly detailed for an NPC, and you don't see his sword more than once in CS 1. Alisa's boots in CS 1 had stars on the soles - only visible in that scene in Nord.
- The Stun Rod is essentially a basic self-defense weapon for people not skilled with any weapon. As explained in Carnelia, Toval isn't a physical fighter, but is very fast at casting arts.
- You MAY get Toval's Quick Caliber thing. You can, but it's not a guarantee. There's kind-of a gimmick about acquiring that which the player can influence. I can try to explain that with as few spoilers as possible, but I think the explanation may be better saved until some time later on. If you want to know some details, let me know.
- Re: 100% Seal - that is good, but many enemies have resistance to Seal, so while it helps, it's not a complete guarantee.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 25, 2021

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I will also point out that the day after we recorded this I got to the Tokyo Xanadu hot springs scene, and it is a much worse version of this, up to and including the weird sispiration speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

END ME SCOOB posted:

I will also point out that the day after we recorded this I got to the Tokyo Xanadu hot springs scene, and it is a much worse version of this, up to and including the weird sispiration speech.

It can't possibly be worse, because the two concerned in TX aren't brother and sister in any sense, so there is no super-cringy incest overtones, and there's a wall between them. Among other reasons.

Honestly, I was simply thrilled that the developers managed to restrain themselves and didn't put in the "WHOOPS, walked into the bath at the wrong time" cliche which seems to be the only reason these scenes seem to exist at all. Too bad I technically can't say the same for this game.