Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Totally agree, I was just fuckin around. I think digital copies are convenient and great, especially since 4k TVs probably outnumber 4K disc players 1000:1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Yeah I just rip any discs I buy to store on my computer, so the code is kinda redundant and I'm happy to give it away. I don't much like it when it gets taken without someone saying they got it though--I suppose it doesn't make that much difference, really, but I'd rather know a goon used it instead of a random lurker :/

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m kicking myself for not grabbing The Office and Parks and Rec on iTunes for like... $30 each. It’s comfort food, nice to have on hand. But I’m not touching Peacock and it’s hard for me to justify the Blu-Ray set when I really only like... 5.5 seasons.

Same way that I want the GoT UHDs but only for like... $50.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I bought the original Sailor Moon anime on bluray, which is now my most absurd physical purchase, since each half season was between $35-$45. There are 5 seasons of it.

As a comparison, I got the complete Steven Universe, which is sadly DVD only, but was only $70 for the whole thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Remember buying anime in the 2000s? 3 episodes on a DVD for $30-$40.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How are the commentaries on the Rick and Morty Blu-rays? I'm trying to find an excuse to buy them despite having Hulu.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shiroc posted:

I bought the original Sailor Moon anime on bluray, which is now my most absurd physical purchase, since each half season was between $35-$45. There are 5 seasons of it.

As a comparison, I got the complete Steven Universe, which is sadly DVD only, but was only $70 for the whole thing.

Cartoon Network’s strategy of “lol you’ll get dvd only or you won’t get anything, sucker” is so loving infuriating. You’ve got two gorgeous traditionally animated shows in SU and AT and neither has a complete blu release in the US. Just shameful.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

How are the commentaries on the Rick and Morty Blu-rays? I'm trying to find an excuse to buy them despite having Hulu.

I only listened to the first two seasons but season one is loving amazing. It's got a very weird, manic energy. Season 2 less so. By 3 I didn't care what the creators had to say.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
For season 1, didn't they get some people from the Simpsons to do commentary for an episode, not because they worked on it (they didn't) but just cause they're a fan of their commentaries from the Simpsons DVDs?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Detective No. 27 posted:

Remember buying anime in the 2000s? 3 episodes on a DVD for $30-$40.

Pretty sure my local store had VHS tapes of Bubblegum Crisis that topped out at like 30 minutes for £20, which was $40 back then.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cartoon Network’s strategy of “lol you’ll get dvd only or you won’t get anything, sucker” is so loving infuriating. You’ve got two gorgeous traditionally animated shows in SU and AT and neither has a complete blu release in the US. Just shameful.

Adventure Time takes a pretty sharp nose dive when the writers got too far up their own asses and decided that instead of wacky adventures it needs a melodramatic backstory. Pendleton Ward stepping down as showrunner didn't help matters and you can tell where he started to get burned out.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pretty sure my local store had VHS tapes of Bubblegum Crisis that topped out at like 30 minutes for £20, which was $40 back then.

I'm so glad that anime was much less accessible and outrageously expensive when I was a teenager because I might have come dangerously close to being a weeb.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 19, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CPL593H posted:

Adventure Time takes a pretty sharp nose dive when the writers got too far up their own asses and decided that instead of wacky adventures it needs a melodramatic backstory. Pendleton Ward stepping down as showrunner didn't help matters and you can tell where he started to get burned out.

I still like the later seasons quite a bit, but my point was more that the show remained consistently visually beautiful for its whole run but you can only get the later seasons in lovely SD and that sucks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still like the later seasons quite a bit, but my point was more that the show remained consistently visually beautiful for its whole run but you can only get the later seasons in lovely SD and that sucks.

No argument there. I'm still pretty annoyed that Regular Show got one blu-ray and then they released a subpar DVD for the third season and decided "Nah, gently caress you." and released no further complete season DVDs. At least in region 1. An odd thing I've noticed is that a lot of American stuff that didn't get physical releases here or even in Europe get region 4 DVDs. Anyone know what's up with that?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bought Regular Show s1+2 blu when it came out on a whim. I figured I'd pick up 3 whenever it did come out. It came out and that's when I learned about CN's weird dvd policy. Buying something produced in HD on an SD format makes no sense.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Shiroc posted:

I used to have fullmetal alchemist brotherhood on blu-ray but I sold it when I needed money. Now I'm looking for it again because I want a better quality than streaming and of course it's insanely expensive or out of region.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did they confirm if the Eva blurays are gonna be the good versions or the hosed Netflix ones?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did they confirm if the Eva blurays are gonna be the good versions or the hosed Netflix ones?

The Netflix versions are the official, approved translations. It will always be that going forward.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What about the music?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm guessing the logic for DVD only (if anything) for Cartoon Network stuff is them still going "children don't care about video quality" and "everyone just streams anyway" when the actual audiences for those shows seem like ones that would be willing to pay premiums for nice, high quality HD releases.

Archer stopped releasing blurays halfway through, which contributed more to me stopping caring about it at all than anything else. I probably would have even kept buying into the lovely seasons. Fox probably wants it to be a reason to pay for Hulu monthly though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

I'm so glad that anime was much less accessible and outrageously expensive when I was a teenager because I might have come dangerously close to being a weeb.

drat straight. A handful of us who were friends anyway had a few tapes we’d lend back and forth but that was it as to my human exposure to anime. Years later when the internet communities started getting big I noped the gently caress right out.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Anime when you had to buy bootlegged vhs copies at comic cons. Whew. Good times. How I saw golden boy, Cowboy bebop and non-anime, the first season of spaced.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still cherish the fact I just happened to be tuned to Channel 4 for no reason the night Spaced first aired, don’t recall there being any pre hype at the time so was complete luck.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Shiroc posted:

I'm guessing the logic for DVD only (if anything) for Cartoon Network stuff is them still going "children don't care about video quality" and "everyone just streams anyway" when the actual audiences for those shows seem like ones that would be willing to pay premiums for nice, high quality HD releases.

Archer stopped releasing blurays halfway through, which contributed more to me stopping caring about it at all than anything else. I probably would have even kept buying into the lovely seasons. Fox probably wants it to be a reason to pay for Hulu monthly though.

It's like they just want people to pirate poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Reading the stuff about Adventure Time and Evangelion makes me just want to lovingly cuddle the AUS/NZ blu-ray box set of the full series of the former and the Japanese collector’s edition set of the entire series and original movies of the latter.

Both cost me a pretty penny too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

What happened to adventure time?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

dorium posted:

What happened to adventure time?

They stopped doing Blu-ray releases after season 6, season 7 is dvd only, and the last three seasons were all crammed into a single dvd set. And this is a super-colorful animated show with lots of thin clean lines that get muddled and hosed up in SD. IIRC only Australia got the whole show on Blu.

I forgot they did the same thing to Over the Garden Wall, another beautiful animated show that only has a dvd release unless you import the blu.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was originally watching Sailor Moon on Hulu but they have a bug in their console and Smart TV versions where subtitles (and closed captions) show up like 1-2 seconds off when they are supposed to, which is not great when you understand zero Japanese and the show has lots of characters speaking over each other. I only got them to acknowledge that there was actually a bug because I'm friends with a guy who works there. The team originally closed the bug as not repro until I gave my friend a bunch of videos of it happening to give to them. It was still not fixed months later when I cancelled my subscription, even though it works on their web and other versions.

Love the streaming future.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC only Australia got the whole show on Blu.

The Australian release is also available in New Zealand.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kinda struggling with the idea of this Prince of Darkness UHD. It's one of my favorite movies, so my instinct is to buy it, but I'm also kinda predicting that it's not gonna be that much of an upgrade over the standard blu ray that I already spent $25 on. It's just not the kind of film that I think would take a huge leap with a little extra resolution and Dolby Vision.

Still, I'm very tempted just because I definitely would love to see how that swirly green stuff looks with HDR/DV.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Buy it then send me your expensive Blu-ray for free. Everyone wins.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda struggling with the idea of this Prince of Darkness UHD. It's one of my favorite movies, so my instinct is to buy it, but I'm also kinda predicting that it's not gonna be that much of an upgrade over the standard blu ray that I already spent $25 on. It's just not the kind of film that I think would take a huge leap with a little extra resolution and Dolby Vision.

Still, I'm very tempted just because I definitely would love to see how that swirly green stuff looks with HDR/DV.

I really want it, but I do not want the poster, and I wish I could just order it for $5 cheaper without the poster.

edit: Apparently Amazon has the 4k UHD for $25

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm still holding out for a Carpenter box set

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm still holding out for a Carpenter box set

Ask and you shall receive

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

:golfclap:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bit pricy for me

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Bit pricy for me

It comes stuffed with copies of Memoirs of an Invisible Man.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Detective No. 27 posted:

What exactly is wrong with the Netflix version? The only thing I saw was a bunch of people going crazy over "I like you" vs "I love you" which felt pretty absurd. I didn't think "oh these are just two friends."

The only thing that was annoying was that Netflix didn't display subtitles for the text when people were talking.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

What exactly is wrong with the Netflix version? The only thing I saw was a bunch of people going crazy over "I like you" vs "I love you" which felt pretty absurd. I didn't think "oh these are just two friends."

The only thing that was annoying was that Netflix didn't display subtitles for the text when people were talking.

Anime fans.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's a bit more explicitly worse than that in that scene (the laughably bad "You are worthy of my Grace" instead of "I love you"), but for the most part the TL is just kind of awkward across the rest of the show but otherwise not showstopper IMO. It's probably an acceptable tradeoff given how much easier it will be for a layman to watch the show at present even if it's never how I personally would because I have access to the older TL.

Honestly the more consistently grating thing to me is that the Netflix version removed "Fly Me to the Moon" for its credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

The Shout Factory blu-ray looks incredible, no way I’m upgrading this one. Plus the artwork on the 4k is the same as the original release and is absolutely repugnant, no wonder it was a rental dud upon release.