Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

It’s amazing how lost you can get and how quickly, but yeah you’re rarely so remote that a compass or sense of direction or some landmarks can’t help you get out

Like around here the more serious s&r situations are where people get stuck in little canyons or get injured and can’t do that

people do stupid poo poo too. i was talking to an s&r guy at a remote lodge site in nh, and they mentioned a rescue where some fool went out in the winter, alone, above treeline during a storm. they had essentially no supplies or experience, and were wearing galoshes. there are legitimate rescues too, but just some basic preparation and consideration, not relying on a gps app on your phone would prevent a lot of accidents.

as a local it's often a bit frustrating watching people go out in weather i wouldn't even think about because it's too dangerous, and then it's on friends of mine to go rescue tourists wearing galoshes during awful weather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I don't know if it will let you play it outside of Canada but I really enjoyed this 5-part documentary on search and rescue in the wilderness just outside Vancouver: https://www.knowledge.ca/program/search-and-rescue-north-shore

basically their rule is that pretty much every call is from someone without proper equipment

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think the #1 request of most s&r is for gods sake bring a flashlight

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im probably gonna pick up a garmin inreach after i move and get outdoorsin' again

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

im probably gonna pick up a garmin inreach after i move and get outdoorsin' again

yeah, if I ever get into serious hiking this is my plan too

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if you're going to remote areas where it matters, look for a gps w/ a sensitive antenna. they make ones specifically for hiking that can get a position lock within just a few feet, and will basically always find a signal. mine is from a while ago but it has a sirfstar 3 gps chip and can find me +/- 20 feet or so

always bring a map + compass and know how to use them too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
garmin inreach is made in maine

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i think we watched all of that "i shouldn't be alive" series and my main takeaway was: cuddles save lives. like seriously at least half of these situations involved multiple people stranded in a cold environment, huddling together to maintain body temperature

so i'd say, most important thing to bring is your buddy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if i go out in the woods ima just take my handheld aviation radio so if i get lost i can yell at all my airplane buddies on 121.5 to come and get me.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
breaker breaker one niner i'm taking a piss in the bushes out by mile marker 130.2 and there's a strange man waving a model airplane over

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

here's another shot of my former HS teacher (60 yrs old) shredding in socal. i guess he's been doing this for goddamn months now. i'm still in a room with a cat poking at an idiot box

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

also when your core temperature drops, your body starts to sacrifice your brain's warmth to keep your heart going. so you make even dumber decisions the more you get cold. #1 most important thing you need to carry is a fire starter

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

polyester concept posted:

also when your core temperature drops, your body starts to sacrifice your brain's warmth to keep your heart going. so you make even dumber decisions the more you get cold. #1 most important thing you need to carry is a fire starter
and a hat

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

another good emergency supply, in addition to all the 10 hike safe things, is these

super handy if you need to warm your hands / feet quickly and they take up almost no space / weight in your pack

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
isnt one of the scenes in one of the first episodes of voyage of the mimi a situation in which they have to cuddle with a wet rescued guy in a sleeping bag

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
hairiest situation i ever got into was the trail out to goat canyon trestle bridge in Southern California (way southern in the desert). it’s the largest wood trestle bridge in the world, completed in 1933, but the railroad has been routed elsewhere since 2008 so there’s just nothing out there now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat_Canyon_Trestle

it’s only a 3 mile hike in and 3 miles back out, but the terrain makes it take like 3-4 hours each way because there is a 2500 foot altitude change and you are spending a good bit of the time effectively bouldering or rock climbing. like, crawling up steep surfaces with your hands and feet, you can’t just stand up and walk for a lot of the “trail”.

we didn’t get lost, amazingly. started at 7 am and were having lunch at the bridge around noon, so we had plenty of time to get back before dark.

then I managed to lose my footing and slide down a slope on some loose rocks and twist my ankle pretty bad right after the turnaround at the bridge so it was 4 hrs in and 8 or 9 hours limping out and hopping down steep slopes with 1 foot, some of that after sunset. we had flashlights and plenty of water but we didn’t plan to be there overnight. i had nice hiking boots with good ankle support and that probably kept me from straight up breaking my ankle in the rock slide.

here is my busted foot back at the hotel in san diego.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
also I gotta say flashlights are amazing these days. i have some that are technically for diving that I just take everywhere and they have saved my rear end several times when I was out later than I had initially planned.

this one: https://bigbluedivelights.com/products/al1200xwp-with-protective-case/

one 18650 battery and you have a 120 watt incandescent bulb equivalent that lasts for 2 hours, or on the lower setting (that’s still frankly overkill for hiking a trail at night) and it lasts for 20 hrs.

on the goat canyon trail specifically you need a good light to stay the trail, there are parts that are just a sea of boulders with infrequent cairns marking the way. if you can’t spot a foot-tall pile of rocks at 30-50 meters away in the dark, you just can’t find the trail.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

headlamps can get super fancy these days too, and in cases where I want a handheld i bring along my bike light which 1200 lumens when set all the way up

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also those hot hands things are standard fare for most outdoor activities this time of year up here

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

i have olight flashlight and every time I take it somewhere it turns on in the bag and eats the battery, I think I need to look for something else for the summer hikes I want to take

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
had no idea it was one guy who drew all these

https://jamesniehues.com/pages/the-man-behind-the-maps

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ski resort trail maps

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

don't hate

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
p. sweet

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Fool posted:

headlamps can get super fancy these days too, and in cases where I want a handheld i bring along my bike light which 1200 lumens when set all the way up

I wish I could find a headlamp that didn't have the seizure-inducing strobe effect as one of the clicks.

:sigh:

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

I wish more people would wear headlamps pointing to the trail and not straight into my eyes

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jonny 290 posted:

yo Johnny are there any decent APRS handhelds that aren’t $700 Kenwoods? last few trips into national parks I was bouncing SMS packets easily but I want something I’m less afraid of destroying

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
dog hike today at enchanted rock state park near Fredericksburg, Texas.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

:3:

Schadenboner posted:

I wish I could find a headlamp that didn't have the seizure-inducing strobe effect as one of the clicks.

:sigh:

yeah. even the little clip on running/dog walking lights we bought have a blinking red that (though slow) I'd rather not toggle through at all. it's predictable but i somehow always forget and end up blinking red light right back at my face off my hand as i reach to change brightness

RustyKnight posted:

I wish more people would wear headlamps pointing to the trail and not straight into my eyes

it annoys me as a user that so much poo poo points straight ahead with no adjustment available to the wearer. at least these little lights are magnetic clips so i can sort of work with that and tilt them

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 1, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

dog hike today at enchanted rock state park near Fredericksburg, Texas.

get a haircut hippie

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i can talk poo poo for comedy reasons

big j mascis energy

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

get a haircut hippie

i just got one last week :colbert:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

short hike this weekend

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm trying to find a head lamp that has the following features:

- steplessly adjustable brightness with a simple knob or dial (NOT pushing a button to cycle through presets)
- runs on a single AA cell
- has a round or relatively simple shaped lens so i can put a red filter over it
- not insanely expensive

and god loving dammit why doesn't this exist? it's not hard

i can find a million cheap ones that almost get it but use the dumb clicky interface with turbo SOS modes and i just want a smooth knob brightness control, or i can find a surefire one that has the filters and the variable brightness but it costs $999999 and uses some obscure expensive disposable battery.

ugh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you're lookin at either a potentiometer there (turning excess power into heat, not nice) or a rotary encoder with a PWM circuit (would be great, also expensive-ish)

i get what you're drivin at though.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i just want a smooth knob

use a normal razor and take your time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

you're lookin at either a potentiometer there (turning excess power into heat, not nice) or a rotary encoder with a PWM circuit (would be great, also expensive-ish)

i get what you're drivin at though.

idk why it has to be that expensive. this is one of the cases where a literal 555 could do the job with a potentiometer input and some arbitrary frequency PWM output into a mosfet. or for like a dollar more you could use a SOIC attiny45 and get all the SOS mode garbage AND a stepless variable brightness.

and yes I could totally build one from scratch, I have all the components and equipment already but like jesus, do i have to do everything myself

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

idk why it has to be that expensive. this is one of the cases where a literal 555 could do the job with a potentiometer input and some arbitrary frequency PWM output into a mosfet. or for like a dollar more you could use a SOIC attiny45 and get all the SOS mode garbage AND a stepless variable brightness.

and yes I could totally build one from scratch, I have all the components and equipment already but like jesus, do i have to do everything myself

make the plans for it, put it on tindie for $999, wait 3 weeks for aliexpress to clone it and then just buy theirs

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i just use a flashlight and a cheap headlamp from like a target it's fine. no need to sweat the small stuff or i guess make your own special perfect one :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well it's another ~airplane~ thing where i want to be able to dial it down to the exact minimum brightness needed to read the gauges, but quickly make it bright again if required without having to futz around with it.

i have a red headlamp that works pretty well but it's a little too bright and i can absolutely see stuff outside better when i turn it off. but then i can't read the gauges. so