Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Great Escape S03E09 English subs are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Great Escape S03E10 English subs are out.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Hooray! Since it's been kinda quiet, thanks for posting those links.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Well that was quick.

Great Escape S03E11 English subs are out.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Episode 12 subs are out too. Glad I didn't have to wait too long to see how the season ends.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

qbert posted:

Episode 12 subs are out too. Glad I didn't have to wait too long to see how the season ends.

It's true! Thanks!

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Subs for the mid season special of season 3 of Great Escape are now available.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
And, why not, it's Season 3, Episode 13's subtitles too.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

"There's always something on the back of the cards."

Bread Factory was a nice callback to the Genius, although I wish it had done a little more along those lines. Honestly, it would have been better if they ditched the flashback for once since it was painfully obvious that of course they had already cracked the code. There could have been some more tension if it was all about whether the opponents would actually bite on the all-in that round. Instead it felt contrived because it wasn't like they had great hands at that point. It would probably have been too tough but I kind of wanted there to be a scene where they had to send fake signs to the card room.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Now that Great Escape season 3 is over, what's everyone watching to scratch that itch?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I’d recommend trying Sequester. Not Korean but free and on youtube. I’ve heard about it for awhile in Survivor/Big Brother circles and thought it was just fan made Big Brother, but I just tried it for the first time with the new season, s4, and it’s more of a Genius knockoff than anything else.

Why do I say that?
1) they ripped off bandage man
2) the main match each round is relatively strategic and they use Genius-style graphics to explain them
3) whoever loses+gets voted out gets to challenge someone to a death match. The death matches are kinda basic but still

Premiere: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPCM0MxcCIA
It’s fairly high budget with drone shots and stuff. Eps come out on Sundays and there’s been 2 so far.

Sodomeow
Sep 26, 2015

Fast Luck posted:

I’d recommend trying Sequester. Not Korean but free and on youtube. I’ve heard about it for awhile in Survivor/Big Brother circles and thought it was just fan made Big Brother, but I just tried it for the first time with the new season, s4, and it’s more of a Genius knockoff than anything else.

Why do I say that?
1) they ripped off bandage man
2) the main match each round is relatively strategic and they use Genius-style graphics to explain them
3) whoever loses+gets voted out gets to challenge someone to a death match. The death matches are kinda basic but still

Premiere: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPCM0MxcCIA
It’s fairly high budget with drone shots and stuff. Eps come out on Sundays and there’s been 2 so far.

Even the theme song sort of has genius vibes (watching the first episode now)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

haha I gave it a shot because Brent from RHAP is on it and he is an entire new type of character for these shows, totally delivering.

He's like the ultimate worm, he'll betray anyone for anything at all and then he'll scrape and beg for his life, but at the same time he's like extremely intense and aggressive. Never seen an aggressive worm game before. It is both abrasive and giving nobody any reason to work with him, but it got him out of e1 when he could've conceivably been first out there?

I think he might have peaked here in e3 by telling people he deserves to be there and they need to keep him for the ratings. :lol:

Anyway no big extreme ways type moments in this show so far but it's still a good watch. I mean I'm liking it more than Society Game

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
News about Great Escape season 4, and another show coming out in January.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Anaconda Rifle posted:

News about Great Escape season 4, and another show coming out in January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8SdQoTyzYQ

and fan subs for the "0th" episode.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
At first, I was thinking "oh great, they're going to lean hard into the 'Korean girls doing the cutesy-screaming thing' for this", and then I remembered that most of The Great Escape was the boys doing the cutesy-screaming thing. I'm on board for this!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I really hope that the episodes get subbed on YouTube either through fansubs or official.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
I don't know if the whole episodes will be put on youtube, but this preview is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbd_Z9b0uUU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I liked the 0th episode, and from the trailer it's starting to look like the The Great Escape-type puzzles without the action/silly scares, so I'm definitely in. Probably something like the amusement park Great Escape episode, maybe, which was one of the best.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Another preview. Looks like there will be a lot of screaming. I hope they don't hit the women with flour explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LgiYzAPPAY

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
English subs of episode 1 of Girls' High Mystery Class are now available.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
English subs of episode 2 of Girls' High Mystery Class are now available.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The pacing of Girls' High Mystery Class seems too slow, it felt like nothing of any importance happened at all.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
In Great Escape episode 1, they spent two hours stuck in a small room.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The puzzles seem genuinely hard. I would have given up on trying to enter the Mystery Club clubhouse.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Girls' High Mystery Club episode 3 subs are now available

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Episode 4

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I watched the first couple episodes of Great Escape and it doesn't seem great. Does it get better?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CommaToes posted:

I watched the first couple episodes of Great Escape and it doesn't seem great. Does it get better?
Yes. The overall formula doesn't change much, but the cast continually develops better chemistry, and the escape "levels" get a lot more creative and elaborate as the series goes on.

They're still a bunch of goofballs often failing to grasp the obvious, so if you find that more frustrating than endearing, it might not be the show for you.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

CommaToes posted:

They find the tone during the second escape. Great Escape is a show where the writers and editors dunk on these six idiots over and over.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

If you guys don't want to wait for the reddit posts, this site puts the Girls' High Mystery Club episodes up with subs right when they're available. The reddit guys just take the official subs and tweak them a bit.

Eps 5 and 6 are already up for streaming/download, with subs.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
For those of us without the password, here are the subs for episode 5.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Anaconda Rifle posted:

For those of us without the password, here are the subs for episode 5.

I just click "Generate Access Token" and don't have to login.

Edit: It was pointed out to me that the site I posted earlier cannot be accessed without clicking a link to it from within the koreanvariety subreddit.

HERE is the thread that leads to the site. Looks like it was created by a subreddit member to host subbed variety shows.

qbert fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 15, 2021

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Baechu Squad's subtitles for Episode 6 of Girls' High Mystery Class are available.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Eps 7 & 8 are up now on GoPlay.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Baechu Squad's subtitles for Episode 7 of Girls' High Mystery Class are available.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Baechu Squad's subtitles for Episode 7 of Girls' High Mystery Class are available.
I know this thread doesn't get a lot of traffic anymore, but I really appreciate the updates when new episodes are released.

Since The Genius is likely never coming back, maybe it's time for a new thread title, or even a new thread to cover Korean competition/game shows?

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

WhiteHowler posted:

maybe it's time for a new thread title, or even a new thread to cover Korean competition/game shows?

What do you suggest?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Anaconda Rifle posted:

What do you suggest?

I dunno, I'm not feeling very clever today. "Korean Game & Competition Shows - The Genius, Crime Scene, Great Escape, etc."

Should variety and panel shows be included too? There's already a separate thread for Running Man. Up until now, more variety-style competition shows like Infinity Challenge have been covered there, but that thread is pretty dead these days.

There used to be a general Korean TV megathread that died a few years ago and is now archived. The general theme sometimes clashed between K-drama discussion and... everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It's not my thread, but for what it's worth, the current title drew me in to watching The Genius and it became one of my favorite shows of all time. A more general thread title would not have drawn me in.